Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Book to film adaptations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Merriska

PostSubject: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 pm

You ever read a book then heard there was a film version coming? Of course you have. Tell me about the times you saw your favorite characters come to life and sat there enchanted. Or tell me about the times you foamed from the mouth with rage because this bitch is supposed to be a blonde and why the hell did they cut out the most important part of their backstory? Discuss here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:17 pm

I remember reading "All quiet on the western front" for the first time as part of an English Lit assignment at school. To this day, it remains my favourite book, and have since re-read it a number of times. Years later when I became a "classic movies" fan, I watched the original movie (which most people rave about etc), and being so thoroughly disappointed, despite the glowing reviews it has accumulated over the years. I would probably get slaughtered by some for saying this, but I thought the TV movie remake in the 70s was superior than its classic predecessor. I know that movies will never live up to expectations once you have read a book, especially a book which holds top spot in one's list, but it is inevitable that comparisons will be made.

On a slightly different topic, I read a book called "Replay" by Ken Grimwood a few years back, and cannot wait for the day this is put on the silver screen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:30 pm

I didn't see the one they made I think in the 30's, but I did see the one in the 70's and thought it was done very well. The only change that made me frown a little was a throwaway line about Tjaden being killed because he's supposed to survive and also survives the sequel.

I actually read a book (Eragon) once just to see if it's film adaptation was as a horrendous job as most people on IMDB and online in general said it was. The trivia for it's page said it was 104 minutes long and had over 50 major changes in character design, plot, basically everything. It wasn't the greatest fantasy novel by a long shot, but it was a decent quick read, would make a good intro to the genre. I turned on the DVD and in 2 minutes they had changed the villain's entire backstory. It was just as bad as they said lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Merriska wrote:
I actually read a book (Eragon) once just to see if it's film adaptation was as a horrendous job as most people on IMDB and online in general said it was. The trivia for it's page said it was 104 minutes long and had over 50 major changes in character design, plot, basically everything. It wasn't the greatest fantasy novel by a long shot, but it was a decent quick read, would make a good intro to the genre. I turned on the DVD and in 2 minutes they had changed the villain's entire backstory. It was just as bad as they said lol

OMG @ YOU MENTIONING ERAGON! I LITERALLY GOT INTO READING THE ENTIRE INHERITANCE CYCLE AFTER WATCHING THAT MOVIE! Laughing

Other notable book-film and vice versa:

- Cloud Atlas (Trailer Idol actually put me in a Cloud Atlas phase for the fall of 2015 after Travis sent the trailer to that movie for the game and got eliminated for it)

- Holes

- The Secret of NIMH

- Lord of the Flies

- Bridge to Terabithia

- The Dark Tower (not yet, but I know there is the film adaptation coming out in July. I'm fucking going to seeing that the night it opens because I've been reading the whole series since 2007)

- A Streetcar Named Desire

I'm sure there are others, but those are what I could think of for right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

omg Bridge to Terabithia lol. That was a fun case in that it was pretty close to the original, but the most misleading marketing campaign ever lmao. I feel so bad for the children that saw all the whimsical fantasy elements and then got traumatized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Yeah, it was such a sad story, but I still loved it. Honestly, I wish my schools would have given me that book to read instead of some of the other ones I ended up being assigned.

Another one I should bring up is Jurassic Park. Both the book and movie were good. The book I had finished on New Year's Eve of 2015 after I finished reading Cloud Atlas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 pm

I used to read a lot of books but I liked book series which is hard to find when you are an adult I loved the gossip girl books and a series of unfortunate events books I read them quickly. My mean teacher wouldn't let me finish my gossip girl power point presentation because I said the word sex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 pm

And did you like the TV adaptation of Gossip Girl and the Unfortunate Events movie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Let me just say for the movie adaptation of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" that they really should have continued on with it because I would have loved to see all 13 books transferred from the book, not just the first 3.

The movie itself was, on average, halfway decent. It was flawed, sure, but it was a nice way to kill time, especially at a movie theater.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book to film adaptations    

Back to top Go down

Book to film adaptations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1