HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Javi watches Survivor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Iraheto

PostSubject: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am

So I recently I've started watching past seasons of Survivor using my CBS All Access account (commercial free).

I started with Survivor: Borneo

Overall this season was kinda dull. Rich, Susan, Kelly & Rudy were the only ones even trying to play the game. The rest were just a mess with no clue how things even worked. I understand it was the first season but making alliances or deals would've been my first instinct. Don't get me started on how much I hated Susan.

Then I watched Survivor: The Australian Outback

It started off promising but got really boring during the final episodes. Kinda forced myself to finish. I think Tina was an ok winner but Colby definitely deserved the win. Poor guy was robbed.

Just finished Survivor: Africa

Ok. Maybe it was just me but I got serious racist vibes from Big Tom. Some of the things he did (like constantly target Clerence) rubbed me the wrong way and I was happy to see Kim J call him out at the final tribal council calling him sexist. In my opinion Kim J deserved the win over Ethan who did nothing special.

Currently watching Marquesas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 pm

I think Tina was an ok winner but Colby definitely deserved the win. Poor guy was robbed. wrote:

Uh oh, this'll start a debate with some people lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iraheto

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm

He clutched the wins and saved himself from being voted out. Tina is a sweetheart but what did she do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Tina's usually viewed as the first winner based on social game and bonding through everyone by being the mom, but still having strategy in that she knew who was a threat and wasn't afraid to vote them out either. I'm sure Garrett could cover this better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Tina was a poor winner, as was proven the third time she played. I wouldn't ever bother with early seasons, they are just dead dull compared to the game we watch today. It was much easier back then. The game has become much harder as it has evolved and it starts the second you arrive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesseRebel

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I loved The Australian Outback. Can't say that Tina didn't deserve it. I thought she was a good winner that strategized and used social skills to her advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DN109

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Garrett loves Tina I'm surprised he's not here killing you lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Hate colby
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm

She's obviously a really nice person but I didn't think she made a strong winner. Hatch was much better. He was sly and cunning. Tina was just really well liked and sociable and way back in the early days, that took you a long way.

She left first the second time and the third time she wasn't especially good. I remember after she got back in the game near the end, when she and Ciera needed Monica to go against the two guys, she suggested something ridiculous and Ciera shut it down rightly and said no, tat'snot how we get her on owr side, it just showed me she wasn't a very good strategic player. She has the social side down but strategy not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iraheto

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Ugh spoilers, I haven't watched All-Stars yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

I got my bestie/roommate into Survivor and warned her not to watch the seasons in order because the early seasons would seem really dull compared to modern ones, but she didn't listen. She powered through Borneo by herself and we watched AO together when we started living together. I agree it gets really boring in the last few episodes, especially the finale when it's just the F3 giving confessional after confessional about how the game has changed their lives for like two hours.

We're watching PI next because that's the next one I have on DVD (S3-6 weren't on DVD yet in 2007 when I got into Survivor.) Then I also have All-Stars, Vanuatu, and Palau. I'm excited for the Vanuatu re-watch. And even though I don't have them on DVD I want to show her Guatemala, Micronesia, Gabon, and Cagayan. She started watching with me around Philippines but she didn't see BvW or Cagayan.

Javi, how much do you know about seasons you haven't seen? Like do you at least know who wins every season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iraheto

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I don't know much. I knew Richard Hatch won Borneo & I knew Tina won AO but I didn't know who won Africa so it made it more fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 pm

That's so weird. I'm doing the same thing. I'm currently on Thailand. Started a while ago though, but I've been taking my time. Agreed about Borneo and Australian Outback. I think Ethan is a good winner though. Especially for the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Tina deserved that win, absolutely no debate about that.

Challenge wins mean squat if you can't get votes at the end, and Colby as dominant a game as he had didn't really have any real competition other than Keith. Not even Alicia could give him her vote.

Colby managed to distance himself from the brat pack in time to be seen in good light, but his pride definitely got in the way. I bet if he had apologized just once to Jerri and not been so cold, he would have gotten her vote.

He also could have not mentioned buying a Harley with his winnings, with full knowledge that some jurors had family suffering from cancer. As hot a guy as Colby was, he was pretty boneheaded in certain ways.

Keith seemed like a douche and I always kind of felt like he was always going to be a vote for Tina, who was the only one who really liked him.

By the way, what amazes me was that back in this day of age, anybody "outwitting"  or "playing the game" to win was cast in a negative light. Stacey Stillman, The Tagi 4, Jerri Manthey, Silas Gaither, Kelly Goldsmith. Nowadays, forming alliances and getting out threats goes without saying but back then, strategizers seemed to get fairly negative edits. Now (or at least when I stopped watching a few years ago), it was the complete opposite. Just look at Russell Hantz. How the game has evolved...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Iraheto wrote:
I don't know much. I knew Richard Hatch won Borneo & I knew Tina won AO but I didn't know who won Africa so it made it more fun to watch.

Interesting. I knew you were more of a BB guy but I would have assumed you would have come across a lot of Survivor info just from being in Survivor games and doing challenges that involve trivia and stuff. Or even being around all of us who have seen probably every season and talk about it a fair amount. What modern seasons have you seen?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
By the way, what amazes me was that back in this day of age, anybody "outwitting"  or "playing the game" to win was cast in a negative light. Stacey Stillman, The Tagi 4, Jerri Manthey, Silas Gaither, Kelly Goldsmith. Nowadays, forming alliances and getting out threats goes without saying but back then, strategizers seemed to get fairly negative edits. Now (or at least when I stopped watching a few years ago), it was the complete opposite. Just look at Russell Hantz. How the game has evolved...

True. I think at a certain point it just became expected that you had to play like Richard (as in strategize and make alliances) in order to win, so players and the editors alike just sort of had to embrace it. The show probably would have ended years ago if "gamers" were still frowned upon.

Another funny thing is how Jerri was considered a villain in Australia. She really didn't do anything villainous. In fact I think if the season aired today, Colby would be the villain. He backstabbed her, lead her on romantically, and talked so much trash about her in confessionals...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:32 pm

I'd say the whole thing with Kel could be construed as villainous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:34 pm

I think Tina played one of the best games ever lmao. I mean that bitch worked <3.She saw she was at the bottom of Jerri's alliance, so flipped the game by convincing Colby to turn on Jerri, Amber, and Mitchell (putting her at the top of that alliance instead of the bottom),  stepped down at the right moment at the merge to secure Keith would be immune, and knew when to cut to Jerri and Amber (even when Colby was against it). Her social was so insane that Elisabeth and Rodger never wanted to flip on her (Amber tried to get them to vote with her after Jerri/Nick left, but they wanted no part of it), and everyone was pretty much fighting to take her to the final 2 (meaning she had already won by the time she made final 3 since she would have even got more votes if she were against Keith).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Javi actually probably shouldn't have gone in order. Marquesas can be a slog with the exception of a few characters and Thailand is generally considered the worst of the early, it flat out was called the worst until that block of 21-26 happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesseRebel

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Okay I need to comment on a comment A-Supreme made... he said that for a really hot guy Colby was boneheaded? In what world does being "hot" have anything to do with stupid mistakes and bad attitudes? Most "good looking" guys make stupid decisions than average or unattractive guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Merriska wrote:
it flat out was called the worst until that block of 21-26 happened.

Lol they were very poor. I think 22, 23, 24 has to be the worst trio of all. 22 and 23 were basically the same season, pretty much and 24 just had the worst ever cast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptainJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:50 am

Iraheto wrote:
So I recently I've started watching past seasons of Survivor using my CBS All Access account (commercial free).

I started with Survivor: Borneo

Overall this season was kinda dull. Rich, Susan, Kelly & Rudy were the only ones even trying to play the game. The rest were just a mess with no clue how things even worked. I understand it was the first season but making alliances or deals would've been my first instinct. Don't get me started on how much I hated Susan.

Borneo was pretty boring in retrospect. I did find Hatch amusing and I thought Sean was really funny overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesseRebel

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 am

I used to have a crush on Jenna and Colleen lol

Then Elizabeth in AO and Colby was my boy. Like I know we would be friend in real life, but I didnt want him to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 am

JesseRebel wrote:
Okay I need to comment on a comment A-Supreme made... he said that for a really hot guy Colby was boneheaded? In what world does being "hot" have anything to do with stupid mistakes and bad attitudes? Most "good looking" guys make stupid decisions than average or unattractive guys.

I say that because due to the fact that his hotness and general demeanor made him out to be a "golden boy" of sorts, which sort of makes people oblivious to the dumb aspects of his game especially in Outback. I wouldn't go so far as to say most "good looking" guys make stupid decisions over other types of guys (your words, not mine), but for Colby, I don't think most people other than people willing to look past his looks and charm ever admit that he played a poor game at least in S2. It's not wholly America's fault though... the show definitely cast him in a pretty positive light and America was definitely buying it.

It wasn't until All-Stars when dark Colby started to shine through, with one even calling him "Captain America" fairly negatively which would never be used to describe even an average guy. Him telling Shii Ann that he didn't respect her game and her being the swing vote to send him out wasn't entirely a new development to those paying attention to the strategic side of things. Boneheaded Colby had shown up a few times in Australia as well. People talk a lot about his taking Tina to the end over Keith as his major mistake, but I really just wanted to say that he had made a number of bad calls in S2 season that no one really paid much attention to because they were swept up in what a good guy he was and how he deserved to win the season. When it comes to Colby, looks do play a major role in his fandom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:36 am

Unrelated to the discussion but Colby would make a really decent replacement for Jeff, if he stepped down as host. He's played before so has the experience and hosted that Topshot show really well. He'd slip into the role with ease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Javi watches Survivor   

Back to top Go down

Javi watches Survivor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next