Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm

It needs to be Art Pop, lil lady.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Yes but if the artist is art pop then the song should be art pop right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Cindyfan wrote:
Yes but if the artist is art pop then the song should be art pop right?

Not really Wink
Artists are usually associated with more than one genre....for example, Blondie started out as a punk rock band, but even they had "disco" hits, and new wave song, some early rap and even reggae.
If your song is in the link that Murr posted then you should be ok. To be fair, I had a look earlier and I thought it was pretty lax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 1:26 pm

They were all albums though. I choose a song though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 2:00 pm

soullimbo wrote:
To be fair, I had a look earlier and I thought it was pretty lax.

Ha, yeah. But being too strict would result in disaster/half the cast having to resend 10 times. <3

Anyway, I have all the songs. I'll send them out in a few hours. Off on quest 2 of the day finding a quiet spot to swim (sans drunken douchebags pulling up in boats and blasting stereos). Sentiment of the holiday aside... in practice, Memorial Day is a pain. T.ears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 pm

I have no idea what we'll get with this one. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

It's too quiet here. What happened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed May 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I haven't heard from Murr either, hope he's ok
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 pm

soullimbo wrote:
I haven't heard from Murr either, hope he's ok
Me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 pm

He's fine, just got a bit caught up with stuff. I talked to him last night and he said he forgot to send on Monday, he was going to last night but I think he fell asleep haha.

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Sorry for the delay, everyone. My fault entirely/this week was a mess. Putting results together right now, posting in 10 minutes or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Theme 5: Art Pop (which conceptually is based philosophies of pop art, so... Tara and her accidental wisdom <3)

There were some unexpected good picks this round, so not complaining.  But for future reference/future games, if anyone's interested... Pete was hoping for XTC, Japan, Pete Gabriel, and 10cc.  I was hoping for Jonsi, Bjork, Scott Walker, Julia Holter, Cockney Rebel, Metro, Serge Gainsbourg, Gustavo Cerati, Laurie Anderson, Bryan Ferry, etc...  David mentioned Bjork in the comments, so I assume that was his frame of reference.

Henry
Goldfrapp-Happiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bO7WmmBf0

Pete: wow, what an awesome track! Plus, any song that takes the piss out of religion, or any form of organized cult, is a bonus Smile . Dare I say it, best song of the round for sure lol?? Last time I said that I changed my mind twice more!

David: This has a Beatles sound to it. Maybe even some T-Rex. I am not familiar with this, but it is really nice. Makes me smile.

Murr: This is interesting… kind of like a ‘60s pop song, or even maybe like a girl group song.  I have a feeling Pete may pick up on that and like it.  Admittedly, I haven’t listened to Goldfrapp in years – pretty sure this (Seventh Tree) is the last album I listened to, actually.  Anyway, definitely enjoying this.  The arrangement here is kind of amazing, all of these electronic sounds, and seemingly acoustic instruments sampled and manipulated (I hear flutes, banjos, etc… but all mixed up and gloriously bastardized).  Anyway, yeah, cool, I’m sure you’re fine, so let’s move on.

Total: 25/30

Thomas Matthew DeLonge CLXXXII
tune yards - water fountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbiFcPhccu8

Pete: lol, this reminds me of The Belle Stars - The Clapping Song. No, before you all start giggling, not some song about contracting disgusting venereal diseases! Funnily enough, this is almost a reverse scenario from the previous song, where the start and end are very good but the middle bit sucks ! Or maybe I'm just far too picky !

David: I have heard this somewhere. I don't hate it, but it is a little annoying. The second part is better than the first part. I like how everything is overlaid on top of the other tracks. Weird and goofy.

Murr: Another song I absolutely don’t know! Heh.  I need to stop watching the video while listening, because I’m wondering wtf is happening here and forgetting to listen.  Lemme restart.  Instrumentally this is interesting… I’m pretty sure bass is the only “proper” instrument here – everything else sounds like some sampled sound, musically repurposed (which is interesting and the premise of what will probably be the next theme in this game).  A few parts here seem like a joke/punch line, and as I have no sense of humor, I don’t really appreciate that.  Oh, this shouting part near the end is cool.  Good pick, I’ll need to check out more by them.

Total: 21.5/30

NatWolf
Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTsDcjHj54M

Pete: An iok start to proceedings...the weird thing is that, halfway through the song you get these sounds that suddenly reminded me of games loading on the old Commodore 64 lmao. It's not a bad song, but considering the content, there doesn't seem to be a need for it to be over 5 mins long. So yeah, distinctly average imo.

David: I knew Sufjan Stevens before Call Me By Your Name, but I have become more of a fan since I saw that movie(which has music from Sufjan Stevens throughout). So this is a song is very cool sounding. I guess it is about a volcano, but it must or could have some deeper meaning. I will try to figure that out later, but this is a really good pick.

Murr: So, admittedly, Sufjan Stevens didn’t even occur to me for this theme.  I guess some of his stuff fits, though.  Not sure how Pete and David feel about him.  I like him (I mean, he’s no Jonsi or anything, not to guilt-trip you guys…), but yeah.  So, I really loved the arrangement here, how it slowly creeps up with bleeps and bloops, sort of manipulating the stereo field.  Very folktronic (that would be a good theme… hmmmm…).  I’m not too crazy about the vocal melody in this song (not bad, just not as great as some of his melodies), but his lyrics are beautiful as always, and those blips and bloops are just magical.  So, overall a great pick.

T-Daddy
Furniture - Brilliant Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usZF2467UUw

Pete: Pete: This takes me back! I think I first heard this at the seaside resort of Margate in the south of England, I was 15/16. Anyway, thats enough reminiscing lol, the song itself is not as good as I remember it, to be fair I haven't heard it in years. I like the saxophone in the song, really fits in. Not a bad pick.

David: They must be out of their brilliant minds. I like that. I like the 80's sound and the sax. I guess they never went anywhere. Hear they got screwed over by their record company. This was released in 86, so I probably would never have liked this when I was this rebellious, slam dancin' teen, but now that I am older, this isn't so bad.

Murr: I legit don’t know this song, but I looked it up and feel like I should (apparently a pretty big hit and in Some Kind of Wonderful, so like… should definitely know it).  It’s really good, though.  Not sure it’s the best song for this theme, but the rules stated allowed for it.  So, despite being very much an ‘80s “pop” song, it has this violent guitar part, this pizzicato part, and this Roxy Music-like sax breakdown (that whole “shame on youuuu” part even sounds like something Bryan Ferry would’ve done during the Manifesto era).  There’s actually a pretty big (later) Roxy Music vibe to this, which is a good thing.  So yeah, this is actually really fucking good and I’m embarrassed about having never heard it.  So, well done!

Rocking Chair
Let's Eat Grandma - Rapunzel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TexKVYTr2Bc

Pete: It had to happen didn't it...."video not available in your country", we couldn't go a whole round without the copyright brigade showing once again what a bunch of oxygen-thieving cunts they really are. As it turns out, I'm now wishing I hadn't found working link....I'm pretty sure I judged something by these guys before. I can't remember the song or what I said about them, but this song does next to nothing for me. Maybe the other 2 will find it good and I'm the odd one out lol.

David: I like the piano music intro to the song. Has a nice echo effect. Just when I thought it was going to be all instrumental, a Bjork sounding voice starts singing. Then she sounds less like Bjork, which is a good thing. I do like Bjork, especially when she was in the Sugar Cubes(who I saw when I was a junior in HS.) I digress. She has a good voice and the lyrics are strange. The piano at the end is nice. You took a gamble and it paid off. It was good.

Murr: WHY COULDN’T YOU JUST SEND JONSI, BJORK, SCOTT WALKER, OR ANY OF THE OTHER STUFF YOU *KNOW* WOULD GO OVER WELL???  Kidding.  So, this isn’t my favorite song by the girls, but I do love it/them (not sure how the other judges will feel about this, though, so I’m a wee bit worried for you, tbh).  They’re so clever, though… The true geniuses of our era.  I follow them on Instagram and they take a lot of pictures of, like, different colored lights and fish tanks. <3  Anyway, I love how pretty but creepy the music is, and the vocal style of sounding like a little kid (“I WANT MY MOMMY!” and all) is kind of brilliant.  But I mean, there’s nothing about shiitake mushrooms or saxophones in the city or anything.

Total: 19.5/30

Tara
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Pete: Right...Miss Bush. A few of her tracks would have gotten you a very high score, but not this one. Again, not that it's a bad song, but for me simply average even though this may be considered as a "safe pick"

David: I am very familiar with Kate Bush. This is probably her biggest hit. I liked it OK when I was a teen and it now is nostalgic for me to hear it. I think I submitted this once in another game.

Murr: Kate Bush is great.  This is an obvious pick, but still a good one.  Though this album also has “Hounds of Love”, which is perhaps my favorite Kate Bush song.  This could go either way – I imagine Pete and David will either love it or roll their eyes.  Lyrically, it sounds so lovely and cryptic – I was a little disappointed when I read what Bush herself said about the song, but maybe she was lying a bit.  Good pick, though.

Total: 19.5/30

Eliminated:

Spoiler:

Pete: Hmmm, the thing is that I like her voice, but the song is weird. It feels like 3 sections, where the middle bit (1:22 to 2:28) is awesome but either side of that is abject mediocrity. If it were just for that middle bit, this song would be on a par with the top song so far...

David: I have never been the biggest Fiona Apple fan, but this sounds pretty good. I like her voice here. The background music sounds cool also.

Murr: I admit I like that galloping drum beat in the beginning.  That aside, I’m really not crazy about Fiona Apple, but this isn’t as bad as I remember.  I really like the slow part beginning around 1:20… There’s this weird sound – it almost sounds like a cross between a Hammond organ and a theremin??? – that’s kind of amazing.  And her voice is really interesting.  The rest of the song just seems kind of jittery without being that interesting.  Idk.  It’s not bad, and again, the slow part is lovely.  And she’s so pretty in a kind of creepy way, ugh.

Total: 17.5/30

Sorry to see you go.  It was a pick that I didn't see on the list (first couple pages at least), which means you put some thought into it, so I appreciate that.  Thanks for playing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:52 pm

omg people actually like Bjork? Laughing

Anyway, I love Goldfrapp, was really obsessed with them back in my college years. Then stopped listening to them once I got into harder stuff, but I am glad they met the theme for this round. Made me go back and listen to some great songs I had forgotten about Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Theme 6: Musique Concrète / Electroacoustic / Tape Music

My theme choice, all closely related with lots of overlap.  Some of it is beautiful, ethereal, evocative, sometimes even exciting... some is legit just noise.  There's a distinction!  

Note: While there are many pieces which are song-length, some pieces can get rather long.  I'm only requiring the judges listen to 10 minutes of any given piece - so if there's a 10 minute point you want to start from (rather than the beginning), include the timestamp in your Youtube link (or just tell me when you submit, if you can't do it yourself).

RYM album list: THIS IS CLICKABLE
Wiki for Musique Concrete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musique_concr%C3%A8te
Wiki for Electroacoustic music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroacoustic_music
Last.fm for Musique Concrete: https://www.last.fm/tag/musique+concrete/artists
Last.fm for Electroacoustic music: https://www.last.fm/tag/electroacoustic/artists

These are all more composition techniques than they are specifically genres of music (though are most associated with a branch of modern classical), so you aren't limited to those lists, but do make sure it fits the theme (with some music cataloguing site - RYM, AllMusic, Last.fm, whatever - listing it as such).  If you want something more "poppy" sounding/contemporary artists you may be more familiar with, Last.fm's lists are more lax in that regard.

Send songs to me.  Ideally 48 hour deadline, and I promise not to suck this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 pm

This theme is so next level hipster, even Tom is shocked!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 am

Pete, it's funny that it was blocked for you, because they are from your country, haha. Also, how dare you.

Murr, I like that one better than Sax, and Shiitake Mushrooms is way too obvious.

Henry, is your avatar the hot guy from Younger?

Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 am

MESSAGE FOR PETE AND DAVID (AND EVERYONE ELSE) I JUST SUBMITTED MY SONG AND MURR INFORMED ME I WAS THE LAST ONE, AND HE IS WIDE AWAKE AND SHIT, SO IF HE TAKES ANOTHER 5 DAYS TO SEND YOU THE SONGS, IT'S ALL ON HIM BEING TERRIBLE AS USUAL.

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 am

Songs sent out. Suck it, ginger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:18 am

watch your mouth, I'm a lady.

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:22 am

Suck it, gingerbread lady!

Better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:32 am

Racist.

metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Do you need a doctor?

metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:44 pm

No, just some TLC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   

Back to top Go down

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next