Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm

Songs sent out. Goodluck, everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri May 11, 2018 11:06 pm

alien Theme 1: Stax RESULTS AMG alien

I'm not gonna bother reordering this, and I'm giving scores in this post, because, well... you'll see. heh.

Dana
Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jO3TfsTxcI

Pete: Good way to start the round. This song always reminded me of Sam and Dave's "hold on, I'm coming". On that note, slightly surprised that no-one sent a Sam and Dave tune. I digress, this guy has a great voice, and while this is far from what I would class as one of my "Favs" from the label, it's still a cool track.

David: Yeah, so this is a very popular song that I think is OK, but it isn't a favorite of mine. Maybe if it wasn't so well known I might like it more. I just am not sure what my opinion of it truly is.

Murr: Solid southern soul song.  I’ve never gotten too into Johnnie Taylor, but I do remember this album in particular.  His voice is pretty archetypal – some raw grit, powerful as hell, but nothing that stands out too much (I could just be jealous, though, as I sound like Lou Reed on Quaaludes, so… t.ears).  Also let’s be honest – this bassline is some real shit.  Good pick, thoroughly enjoyed!

Total: 20.5/30

NatWolf
Rufus Thomas - Walking The Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3-tdrPkY7w

Pete: Once again, a very distinct voice, even if the song doesn't make sense to me lol, and it is quite catchy. The guy who jumped the fence and didn't come down til the 4th July must have scored some good stuff lol. So yeah, another good pick without really hitting the heights.

David: Oh yes. Walking the Dog is so much fun. Love the silver bells and cockle shells. Good pick.

Murr: lol @ that intro.  I’ve always loved this song… it’s so fucking dirty.  It’s just a lot of uncomfortable euphemisms for sex and drugs.  Ah, the good ole days, when a 40-something man sings a song about sex to impressionable kids.  15 cents?  Wow, how prices have gone up!  His voice is great, just pure rasp (which I like).

Total: 22.5/30

T-Daddy
Barbara Stephens - Wait a Minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3_8QHP2Zps

Pete: One of a number of female vocalists who had a limited career with the label who had so much talent and potential, Wendy Rene, Ruby Johnson and Dorothy Williams also spring to mind. I really like this tune, makes me tap my feet, and almost type in rhythm lol.

David: Good Tune. Must have been fun seeing her live. Sounds like it's from another world.

Murr: Stax had a bunch of “disposable” female singers early on, who really released some jams… Wendy Rene comes to mind (I’m shocked no one sent “After Laughter”).  Anyway, this is no exception.  It’s super bluesy, and the whole call-and-response thing with the clapping… fuck man, that’s the stuff dreams are made of.  Some of these earlier Stax recordings just sound like everyone was high in the studio and just like, “fuck it, let’s rip this shit up” – which I love.  That weird dissonance and squealing at the fade-out… be still, my heart.

Total: 23/30

Tara
Isaac Hayes - The Look Of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IzxHKI8PJE

Pete: Hmmm, not a fan of this one I'm afraid. I'm sure Isaac Hayes enthusiasts will berate me but it does very little for me, and to be honest, I wasn't even aware that this was from the Stax label !

David: Starts with a long introduction. I like it. Actually, I am a big Burt Bacharach fan and I've seen him perform a couple of times and this song has always had a special place in my musical collection. I don't know if I have ever have heard this version, but it is really a good rendition of this classic song. Now I just want to chill and not review any more of these songs. Oh I am in that place.

Murr: I never really liked Isaac Hayes until I listened to “Hot Buttered Soul”… honestly, I’d probably give any song from that album a 10 just on principle.  But from that, he grew on me.  Like, something about this makes me think there’s something a little cheeky about it, which is great.  Some lolzy lines, “the start of some groovy nights like this, yeah!”  But in his performance, something sounds so indirect and therefore romantic (or creepy… or both).  That weird little psychedelic guitar solo (in stereo!) is a gem, as is the entire last half of the song (excessive echo = love).  Not my favorite of the round, but it’s good.

Total: 20/30

Henry
Booker T & the MG's - Green Onions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

Pete: Now we're talking!!! But before I comment any further, I would like to express my disappointment that, even though 3 Booker T tracks were sent in, no-one picked "Soul Limbo", despite Murr giving everyone serious hints in his Theme 1 post. It would have been an instant 11/10 from me, yes, 11, I would have hounded Murr and thrown tantrums like a spoilt little brat until he caved in and took that score!!
Anyway, back to Green Onions. What an incredible tune, the bass line is immense, while the hammond organ sounds sublime. I can listen to this song and drift away for 2 minutes and 57 seconds of pure bliss. I actually sent this in once in an Idol Game, can't remember which one, but the theme was "colours", I wonder if whoever sent this in perhaps remembers.....

David: This is another one of those songs I've heard quite a bit. Recently it was featured in season 3 of David Lynch's Twin Peaks series. I like it well enough.

Murr: Ha!  So, your first pick wasn’t released on Stax (The Emotions had released stuff on Stax, but not that song).  So you got this one instead.  Regardless, I think it’ll work to your advantage, as Pete loves them.  I like the song, but idk… it’s in every fucking movie/commercial/etc… ever.  It’s a great piece, and I fucking love the guitar solo (and that little “hey” before it… that’s a band in a room playing together, pure and simple), but yeah… It would probz be more impressive if I hadn’t heard it 50 million times starting the day I was born.  Solid pick, though.

Total: 24/30

Taylor
Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kceiks__PsE

Pete: I have to be honest here and say that, if it were a battle between this one and the previous "green onions", I really don't think I could pick a winner as they are both in a league of their own. On a side note, it was written by Floyd and Booker T guitarist Steve Cropper. I also have to raise a point with regards to the lyrics:
"It's no secret, that woman is my loving cup
Well, she sees to it that I get enough
Just one touch from her, you know it means so much"
This leads him to claim that he must "knock on wood". Now,I don't want to be crude, and I know that it could be a reference to the saying "touch wood", but I have a feeling it could have a much more subtle, darker meaning....or perhaps it's my warped little mind at work lmao

David: Good recognizable song. I've heard other people do the song better though, but this is good enough.

Murr: I love the bassline in this… how it’s higher up the neck, so you get that really “pretty” bass sound, but then with a thumping low note on the first beat – also how the first beat is the end of the riff (giving the song this cool circular sound, where every bar seems to simultaneously begin and end), really creates this feeling of motion.  Also cool how the back-up singers are kind doing this echo thing… KNOCK (knock, knock)…  Another song that’s probably super dirty, so that’s another positive.

Total: 24.5/30

Chair, eh?
Booker T and the MGs - Eleanor Rigby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAZdLpoWO0

Pete: Interesting choice, and while Eleanor Rigby ranks very highly in my list of Fav Beatles songs, this version, in my opinion, falls a bit flat. I get what they tried to do, but the guitar solos just don't work for me, while the orchestral greatness of the original doesn't transfer well when the lyrics are taken away and the arrangement revamped. Though I admire Booker T , love many of their tunes and what they did as session musicians for a lot of the Stax artists including Otis Redding, this one falls short of the mark.

David: Oh WOW, that was kind of amazing. Simple, but kind of amazing. Not a big fan of the original song, but this version makes me like the song more now. Great pick.

Murr: So, this is on the album “Soul Limbo”, but it’s not the song “Soul Limbo”. Lolz.  I actually love this, though… it sounds so dark and tense.  It’s interesting how the bassline (oddly driving, mostly just straight 8th notes… punk before punk) really recontextualizes the melody and makes it sound so fucking creepy.  I also love the guitar in this… it’s like they decided to go full-on Syd Barrett, with delay, dissonance, this piercing treble, and some completely unnecessary (but glorious) slides.  The MGs’ ode to Syd, so to speak (that probably wasn’t the intent, but it’s what it sounds like to me, BABY LEMONADE!).

Total: 23/30

Thomas Matthew DeLonge CLXXXII
Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvRvSxsW-I

Pete: Ok, iconic tune, certainly, and better than the last Hayes submission, no doubt, but still not "my cup of tea", if I may use a typically British phrase

David: The well known 70's tune that was the essence of cool back in the day. I wonder if they played this in the discos back then.

Murr: Ha!  So, your first pick was Henry’s 2nd pick, but he got it first because he sent first and his first pick wasn’t released on Stax.  It’s an interesting arrangement… I like how it’s so pretty, with this ugly wah guitar (IN STEREO!) to keep it from being too pretty.  YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT!  I never know if I love this or if I should laugh… because this shit is kind of hilarious. CAN YA DIG IT?  But I admit, it sounds cool as fuck.  RIGHT ON!  I love when it gets to the point it sounds like the guitars (IN STEREO!) are having a conversation or something.

Total: 18.5/30

John
William Bell - You Don't Miss Your Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPAwKPD9KU

Pete: Great pick! I'm at work right now rating these songs, but as I listen to this I can picture myself sitting in a winebar somewhere, drinking a glass of red vino and this tune coming on the old style jukebox, chillin' to the max.

David: I like this one. It has this echo to it that I like a lot. The keyboard action is a nice touch.

Murr: So yeah, this song is awesome.  Otis did what’s obviously the most famous and best version of this, but I think Bell was the first, right?  This is some fucking amazing songwriting (also by Bell, if I’m not mistaken).  I really don’t even know what to say about this, other than: awesome pick, or it would be if you hadn't just randomly picked.

Total: 26/30

Turner
Booker T. & The MG's - Time Is Tight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xx1_CbJTI

Pete: Excellent way to finish the round. I love this tune. I've never seen the movie that it was written for, though it has been on my "ever-growing watch-list" for a while now lol.
All in all, a very good round, best of luck to all the players

David: Another cool recognizable tune. I feel as if I want to roller skate for some reason.

Murr: Another that you hear everywhere.  This is more laidback, but idk… I miss the tension/aggression of other Booker T & the MG’s songs.  This is just kinda background music to me.  It’s not bad, by any means, but… yeah.

Total: 21.5/30

Neil le Taureau
No Song - Didn't Submit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocuSKk6UUY

Pete: FEMA CAMPS ARE REAL AND OBAMA TURNED THE FROGS GAY WITH CHEMICALS! (this message has been edited for clarity by Murr)

David: Must be having too much fun on the forum to find time to submit. Roll on.

Murr: Bounced on my boy’s dick for hours to this.  I would’ve longer, but the cloud people started hunting us wanting some of the action so instead we had to hide in some remote FEMA camp (WHICH DO NOT EXIST, PETE) and make balloon animals out of condoms.  Now the NWO won’t let us leave but hey, maybe some little fuck will find our condom balloon animals and find some momentary joy in their life among Obama’s gay frogs.

Total: 0/30 <3

Official result announcement (though it's obvious) and new theme next up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 pm

So, obviously Neil is eliminated.  I dragged you into this game, you refused... can't blame ya!  I was gonna instead use this round for future tie-breakers, but considering some of you tied... lolz, idfk.  Anyway, moving on...

Theme 2: House Music from the '90s

This theme comes to you from David.  Send a house music song/track from the 1990s.  No bans or other stipulations have been set.  For shits and giggles, try to send a back-up if you're not sending within an hour of me posting this. <3

Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music
List of releases: long-ass link breaking Cherry's computer (THIS IS CLICKABLE, UGH)

Send songs to ME, Tomcat Murr.  Ideally send by Monday morning, but with the weekend, if it takes a little longer, I won't boot you - I'll just be moderately annoyed.

Last edited by TomcatMurr on Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 12:12 am

i love this theme
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 12:39 am

Um, I think MOST people would thank you for editing your post lolz. Y'all, he posted some massive shit originally that stretched the screen the fuck out.

Lolz laziest host ever btw, I like how you can't be bothered to make a second post telling placements, if people want to know they have to count how many others scored higher than them. Also, no colors or anything <3 LOVE YOU BABY LEMONADE <3

Pete, my love, I thought of sending Soul Limbo for you obviously, I just didn't because, well, shameless pandering tends to make me roll my eyes haha. I picked a song off of that album though, you just were the only one who didn't care for it, haha <3

cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 am

Lolz laziest host ever btw, I like how you can't be bothered to make a second post telling placements, if people want to know they have to count how many others scored higher than them. Also, no colors or anything <3 LOVE YOU BABY LEMONADE <3 i like his format it gets right to the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 am

lolz of course the laziest poster would support that <3

kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 pm

This is actually a cool theme that I wasn't expecting to see in this game Laughing I couldn't decide on a song!! Hope the one I sent is good enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 pm

kyogre123 wrote:
This is actually a cool theme that I wasn't expecting to see in this game Laughing I couldn't decide on a song!! Hope the one I sent is good enough.
I am glad you like it. You must have gone through a good number of songs. I am looking forward to see what people came up with. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 am

Sorry busy weekend will do this now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

Think I'm just waiting on John. You were so enthusiastic to sign-up for this game, too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue May 15, 2018 12:20 am

...did something happen to him? He still hasn't sent me his finale songs for Henry either. I'll text him and make sure everything is okay.

JohnLovesNotHenryForever

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue May 15, 2018 4:10 am

I need someone to send in a random song plz thx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

Songs out. Good luck, my children. OM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 am

Theme 2: '90s House RESULTS

Chair (1919)
Rinôç
érôse - Le Triangle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIUfyY18caI

David: Oh this is good. A great mix that I really could get into. You picked well.

Pete: French House Music - instrumental. Interesting. Quite catchy as it happens. Is this what Booker T and the MGs would have sounded like if they'd been born 30 years later?? Maybe lol. I like it.

Murr: It’s all bouncing back and forth across the stereo field, with stutters and glitches… Did you choose this just because of the artist name?  It’s actually really good, though.  I love that stutter sound so so so so much.  This entire arrangement is kind of amazing, though.  It’s like it’s swirling around my head in the most glorious way.  Now there’s this sudden kick drum thing going on and, like, bells?  Ugh, I hate to admit that I like this, but I really do.  I legit got shivers with that last stutter.

Total: 25/30

NatWolf
Armand Van Helden - You Don't Know Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8u5-CnmJk8

David: This is a great track. I loved dancing to this one in the clubs. It was heaven. The instrumentals and samples here are great and his voice is really good. You picked a great song. Great way to start out this round.

Pete: First of all, I was not a big fan of House Music when it first emerged in the late 80s, to me it was just noise and all songs sounded the same lol. So when I saw this theme, to say that I was less than enthusiastic would be an understatement. But I will, however, keep an open mind and objectively listen to all submissions without prejudice !
Perfect start lmao, "this video is blocked in your country", surely that's not a good omen! Found one that works....well, not as bad as I had envisaged, is it because I recognise the tune from somewhere else? Not sure...anyway, I wasn't reaching for the mute button or covering my tympanic membrane for fear that they would be insulted beyond forgiveness. In fact, by the time the song finished, it was still in my head, and not in an annoying way lol. Not a bad start, if it continues like this, I shall have to retract my words and eat a very large portion of humble pie.

Murr: So, I’m not big on house music, nor do I know much about it, so this round should be interesting. Anyway… AMG, IS THAT THE BRAIN???? Oh, shit just dropped.  This sounds vaguely like the theme music of some lame ‘90s kids show, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  So, the lyrics clearly aren’t the strength here.  I do like the repetitive, trance-inducing aspect of this.  In some bizarro universe way, it’s like the Velvet Underground or something in that beating-you-senseless kind of way.  I feel like I need drugs for this theme.  This is alright.

Total: 21.5/30

Henry
Robin S. - Show Me Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X3YpXiI5dM
I once loved Robin S. and this brings back lots of memories. It was definitely played in the more mainstream clubs back in the day. You would never hear stuff like this in the clubs I frequented most though. Oh not at all.

Pete: I'm pleasantly surprised by this one, I don't recognise the title or the artist, but I'm sure I know it....yeah, this is one I could listen to again. I won't state that I'll add it straight away to one of my playlists, but.....not bad.

Murr: The synth sounds here are pretty cool… the little arpeggiated part is oddly satisfying.  I like the phrasing of her vocal… how rhythmic it is while still, like, belting shit out.  There’s this synth pad that just came in low in the mix that’s cool.  THIS IS WHAT I WRITE ABOUT WHEN THE LYRICS SUCK, PEOPLE!  This is another great mix, though, giving this sense of motion.  And some of her vocal delivery sounds like it could fit a soul song.  So yeah, this is actually good.

Thomas Matthew DeLonge CLXXXII
Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub747pprmJ8

David: I have heard remixes of this that really bounce, but this version is just kind of there. I think it would be difficult for me to dance to and that is what I am looking for. Kind of in the middle with this one. Not a failure, but not a home run either.

Pete: lolololol I never knew what this song was called or who sang it, even though I heard it over 100 times as it was once used as the theme to the Sky Football shows I used to watch. By association alone, this will probably be the winning submission for me <3 . Hard to believe this guy started out in The Housemartins lol

Murr: I love jellyfish.  This has weird swirly sounds (IN STEREO!), which I actually really like.  Honestly, this entire mix makes great use of the stereo field.  Sorry, watching the video.  I do like how it has kind of a “darker” sound than the other sounds. And the layering in the mix gives a lot of movement.  Idk, it’s unlikely I’m gonna give anything an amazing score this round, but this is pretty solid.

T-Daddy
Paradise Inc - Deep Thoughts (Factory Club)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4N0KsvlStI

David: Yes, so this is really good. I love the warehouse feel to this one. It is one of those tunes you'd hear at some after hour club that was more chill and less high energy. Brings me back. Good pick.

Pete: Yeah....7 minutes! And I deserve some credit for not fast forwarding.

Murr: It starts all arcane and moody.  Let’s see where this goes.  There are these little staticy pops in the mix, and I love that… I love that sound so much.  The vocals are more about tonality, so not all that distracting.  Are they sampled?  They sound like samples pieced together… it’s a cool effect.  I don’t even need drugs for this one.  That little echo flourish at the end… <3 Definitely my favorite so far.  This is actually pretty fucking cool.

Total: 19.5/30

Tara
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKGdJtAcLQ

David: Great tune. The mixing here is great and it definitely creates a mood.

Pete: Another French submission! This is quite a famous tune, and once again, yes, it's repetitive...but it's ok. I like the homage to Robert Palmer in the video. I have to admit, I'm looking forward to the end of this round. My opinion of house music, while perhaps not as strong in its dislike as it once was, will probably never be in the "positive" spectrum.

Murr: Weird little funk intro.  Then it drops and gets kind of interesting.  And now it’s just really repetitive.  I mean, all of this theme is pretty repetitive – that’s kind of the point, I guess.  But it stands out more here, somehow.  It’s pretty good despite that, though.  So, yeah.

Total: 19/30

Turner
Pal Joey - Party Time (Loop D Loop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5dNDqvnK8

David: I remember this when I would go out to the clubs when I was in high school. Back then they really didn't card, so I was exposed to some great live bands and DJ's very early in my youth. I remember a fantastic techno song that used this same sample a few years later. This is a little too loopy, but still a good pick.

Pete: Rather ironic, this tune is called "party time", yet when I listen to it, it's the last thing I wanna do lol. On the record, it looks like the label is called LOLZ, surely this has got to be Cherry's submission lolol. Anyway, not the worst selection, but not something I would listen to again of my own free will.

Murr: Boom t’ boom t’ boom t’ boom t’!  Alright, once the synth comes in this actually gets cool.  It sounds like a sample manipulated and looped, actually.  Uh! Party Time!  So, I used to have this keyboard with ridiculous samples of stuff like that, and I’d lol for ages just pounding those keys.  Oh, I like that flanged part a lot.  Alright, back to “party time” and claps. Woah, OK, this back and forth glitch in the stereo field part is interesting.  I’ll say this is very interesting and engaging, which is funny since it’s mostly a repetitive drum loop and 2 synth chords.  It sounds super cheesy, but oddly interesting.

Total: 16.5/30

Taylor
Haddaway - What Is Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

David: This is really recognizable, but it definitely wasn't played in the clubs I went to. Pretty mainstream, but not terrible either. I have heard some really great remixes of this though.

Pete: I know this one even before clicking on the link. This was a huge hit, and to be fair, listening to it now I don't mind it so much, cause I'm pretty sure I hated it back then lol. Yes, it's very repetitive, but I guess that's a general rule for house music, isn't it? That waistcoat though, that is a serious fashion statement lmao.

Murr: Lolz.  I don’t think is quite what David was going for, but I guess on a technicality, you got it.  I’m never sure I feel about this song… Yes, it’s infectious and catchy, and he has a great voice – but it’s also schmaltzy as fuck, and with the vocals taking center-stage… yeah, idk.  It’s not the worst thing ever, I guess.

Total: 15.5/30

Dana
Stacy Earl - Love Me All Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbV4Wea9Ts

David: I never heard of this and it is more club music than House. Not really what I was looking for. Sorry.

Pete: So the song starts....instant dislike, and the realisation that it's over 6 minutes long hits me like a kick in the nads on a bitterly cold winters day. To be fair, this sounds more like some dance remix than "house music", though I won't claim to be an expert in either Genre. She actually sounds like Kylie Minogue lol.

Murr: Alright, I like that weird squealy/glitchy thing in the beginning.  Oh yeah!  So, the drum sounds here are really distorted, which is interesting… I’m not sure it works in this mix, but yeah.  I like the echo on here voice.  There’s that squealy sound again.  Oh yeah!  I’m not sure if “love me all up” is dirty, or if it’s a variant of “I’ll eat you up, I love you so”.  Anyway, I need drugs.

Total: 13/30

Eliminated:
Spoiler:

10. Ce Ce Rogers – Thick Girlz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJu55mFP2dk

David: Ce Ce Rogers was one of those people who had a good voice, but just never found his niche. He would alternate from house to R and B and then try something else. This is more R and B than House. It was a hard category for some and I knew that we would get stuff like this, but unfortunately this is one that doesn't make the grade. Sorry.

Pete: Is this really House Music? It's more like a Funk/disco fusion with some electronic thrown in for good measure ,and a rap solo lololololol. It's almost like the writers didn't know which direction they wanted to go and ended up with this convoluted mess!

Mur: Lolz, so you obviously just picked this randomly.  You did that last time, though, and got the highest scoring song of the round.  But lolz, what is this?  Ce Ce knows what Ce Ce likes, bro.  This is kind of amazing… not good, but amazing.  Are we sure this isn’t a sketch from Mr. Show?  The rap part is IN STEREO! So, this is ridiculous, but it’s also hilarious, so I can’t say I hate it.

Total: 12.5/30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 am

Which means...
Spoiler:

is eliminated. Thanks for playing! You won't get to choose random numbers anymore, but you'll always be in our hearts.

New theme in a bit... before I go to bed, at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 am

OH LOOK AT THAT, CHILDREN. I GOT THE HIGHEST SCORE. ME. ON THE ROUND FOR HOUSE MUSIC. SUCK IT TURNER AND HENRY. Lolz and Nat got second <3

Lolz I looked through for a band name I liked, then looked through their songs for a title I liked. Then I listened to it to make sure it didn't suck, and I actually liked it. 

Also, thank you for putting me in color, Murr <3

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am

Theme 3: Psychedelic folk and avant-folk, 1967-1970

This theme comes to you from... me.  It's a madcap of a genre, sure, but it's truly a unicorn.  Some of the earliest instances of incorporating electroacoustic music, tape music, ambient, etc... within popular music, in addition to inspiration from chanson, traditional world music, jazz, soul, etc...  Really, there's tons on this list I love, including a number of my all-time favorite albums... not too much I hate.  People should know some of my favorites, but remember Pete and David's tastes, too.

Bans: Donovan is banned - love him, but too easy. The Incredible String Band and The Mamas and Papas are also banned - hate them, saving you from an inevitable low score.  Do not submit songs by Donovan, The Incredible String Band, or The Mamas & Papas.

List of releases: 1960s (this is clickable!) and 1970 (this is also clickable!)

^ You aren't limited to those releases (you're welcome to send non-LP tracks from those artists), nor are you limited to what sounds like "folk" (as long as it's released by one of those artists from 1967-1970).  But you are limited to an artist represented on those lists.

Send songs to me, Tomcat Murr, ideally by Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm

NEWS ALERT!

TomcatMurr wrote:
But you are limited to an artist represented on those lists.

^ That.  I realize Wikipedia's categorization may differ, but I trust rateyourmusic far more.

For anyone too lazy to click those lists by album, here's a list of the artists you can choose from:

Spoiler:

The list is basically in the order the rateyourmusic has them listed, though I did interweave the 1960s/1970 lists. It's a long list, plenty to choose from. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RTF

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Are these even real artists
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Even though I was hoping to hear more of a deep house sound, most of you did pretty well. I kind of wish that some of you dug a little deeper, because some of the house music from the 90's is absolutely amazing. I think Pete and Murr could even get into some of the old school stuff that I still have. A secret I never revealed was I was a college radio DJ in the 90's and then started playing clubs and raves from there. It was a good time that I really miss. I absolutely loved experimenting in some of the old progressive/underground dance clubs. I could really work a crowd back then. You have a feeling of power when you see people respond to your musical selection and how you flawlessly mix it all together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat May 19, 2018 11:58 am

RTF wrote:
Are these even real artists

Reality is a matter of perception, man.

Anyway, need a couple people to resend. I've PM'd those who need to resend, so if I haven't PM'd you about it, you're good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sun May 20, 2018 11:30 am

WAITING ON TURNER

I'm sending songs out tonight, with our without you. A song by one of the artists in the list above, released between 1967-1970!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Turner, please resend...

Also, this was my/my dog's day:

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 pm

FAWNA <3

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   

Back to top Go down

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next