Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 am

We all made a pact not to send him, just to spite you <3

Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am

It was fun. Good luck guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 am

Round 9 RESULTS!

Theme 9A: CBGB

T-Daddy
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymtpePP8I8

David: I never saw The Ramones at CBGB's, but I did see them about 20 times elsewhere. I can't imagine them playing at CBGB's though, because even though the place is legendary, it was a small hole in the wall venue that just didn't leave much flailing space for such an exuberant band. The Ramones were loud, fast and the dancing could be extremely violent and it must have been something of an annoyance to have people crammed into that space trying to release so much energy. Anyhow, I love this song and I really miss The Ramones. I especially miss Joey...RIP. They were really unique individuals. They didn't always get along with each other, but they definitely were together when they played.

Pete: I was never a fan of The Ramones, although their cover version of "Baby I love you" is fantastic! So this tune contains the iconic "hey ho, let's go..." which, let's face it, you would need to have lived under a rock to not know about it. They even use it in an advert these days, though I can't remember what for. Yeah, punk rock at its finest I suppose.

Murr: HEY! HO! Let's go!  This song is obviously iconic.  I feel like had I been alive in the '70s, this would've been fucking awesome.  But instead, I grew up with it in, like, car commercials and montages in dumb movies, so it seems to lose some of its teeth.  Still, it's a cool song.  I also love the passive violence common of the era (blitzkrieg, "shoot 'em in the back now", etc...).  Obviously more tongue-in-cheek, but it still seems like a lost (or at least now buried alive, if not quite dead) art, at least outside of rap.  But yeah, the song is a force, but... why do I suddenly wanna buy a new car and connect with the world in some altruistic way (and by that I mean spend shit-tons to go to the Bahamas and sit in a pool)?

NatWolf
The Misfits - Astro Zombies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJPPOLBDcc

David: I was never into this band much. The horror punk genre just didn't interest me much. I do know this song and I guess I liked it years ago, but it wasn't something I listened to much. Today it sounds pretty good. They must have played CBGB's back in the 70's and early 80's, which was long before I started going. Anyhow, I like this.

Pete: No Blondie ?!?!!? Oh well...this is actually quite a cool song. Wait, does he want to exterminate the whole fucking race? Strike that previous comment....I think sometimes it helps not to pay attention to the lyrics lol.

Murr: Lolz, The Misfits.  When I was in high school, The Misfits were like THE band for a lot of people I knew.  Misfits, Legendary Pink Dots, NIN, Gary Numan, Deadsy, Fugazi, Sex Pistols, New Order, and Social Distortion - for whatever reason, those are the artists this entire clique were all super into.  Everyone had that fucking Misfits shirt with the skull... like 5 of them, so they could wear one every other day.  ANYWAY, I never really got into them, but I've always liked them alright, passively.  That said, I've always found Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein kind of lolztastically awesome.  So, rant - clicking play, SORRY!  Exterminating the human race is a pretty noble objective, gotta say.  Respect.  The chord progression here is interesting... I mean, they're mostly just playing power chords, but with the major 3rd of the full chord (so it's not really a power chord, but whatever).  Which gives it almost this "prettiness".  heh.  Really, this is good... I feel like I have to mock them because I have to mock everything that's meaningful to people I know, because I'm a fucking cunt.  But yeah, this is good.

Chair
The Cramps - All Women Are Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SToWI97I3HQ

David: This band was always pretty interesting to listen to and see. They went through lots of changes over the years, but lead singer Lux Interior and lead guitarist Poison Ivy were with the band until Lux's death in 2009. I always liked how they incorporated lots of different genres and sounds in their music. Also their look and stage show was quite interesting and unique. I like this song a lot. It is funny how they sing about all women having horns on their heads. lol.

Pete: lolol all women are bad! This is probably the weakest of the 3. Even the guitar solo sounds like it belongs on a 50s song. Sorry, not for me.

Murr: The title of this is so true!  Lolz.  Given the religious part, I imagine this is more a mockery of Calvinistic religious narratives... but also just that women are bad and one made him sad.  Hey, that rhymed!  This is pretty well into psychobilly territory, which isn't totally my thing, but I mean... it does make me smile, for some weird reason.  Lolz, so my mom used to love The Cramps... I remember when I first started getting into anything remotely resembling punk, she was trying to get me to listen to The Cramps, so I kinda think of them as a mom band (I'm sure that must make some of their fans in the '70s and '80s cringe). <3  Anyway, this is good enough.  But I do want to remind you all that The Voidoids and Television also played at CBGB... just sayin'!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 am

Theme 9B: '80s French Pop

NatWolf
Indochine - 3eme Sexe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPaWoqsLssE

Pete: I remember this song when it came out....it went on to become an anthem for "sexual tolerance". The lyrics are simple yet poignant and It's really catchy,even if it's not their best. My favourite this round, quite easily.

David: I like this better than the other Indochine song. Makes me want to clean like a white tornado now.

Murr: Alright, is this gonna stop being super synthpop, too?  Why does this dude look like a bootleg Daniel Ash crossed with the dude from Flock of Seagulls?  A: The '80s!  This isn't bad, but it's a little too upbeat and a little too '80s synthy, which isn't the best combination ever.  That's not to say I don't enjoy it (saxophone, random overcompressed sounds that are oddly satisfying in an '80s pop way, etc...).  My least favorite of this theme, but I liked this theme more than I thought I would, so not at all bad.

Chair
Indochine - Canary Bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxjtt53pxqw

Pete: ok, so I picked this theme, not because I'm a huge fan of 80s French pop, I was just intrigued as to what the players would come up with, and if any of them perhaps remembered something I submitted once in a game and also posted on a music thread a while back. For the most, 80s french pop sucked the big one, but there were a few exceptions....Actually, Indochine did release one of my favourite 80s songs, but this isn't it lol. This song is about an isolated spot at the ends of the seas where only women live, and do secret things to themselves (and each other) behind the ramparts of their pyramids, a place called Canary Bay. I tried looking on Google Maps but no luck  Sad
It's not a bad song, very 80s I suppose, and Indochine did have their own style and were very popular in France as I recall.

David: Nice 80's song. Good to bop around the house to while cleaning.

Murr: This starts off cool... oh, then it goes all synthpop.  OK, then it gets better.  So, I like the more new wavey parts, and the jingling sounds, but it could really do without the full-on synthpop interludes.  The weird synth choir parts are cool, though.  So, I don't know wtf is being said here, and I'm not too fussed about looking it up... oh, wait, mid song there's this really cool synth/sequencer part IN STEREO, which is great.  Yeah, all said and done, this is pretty fucking cool.

T-Daddy
Megumi Satsu - Silicone Lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVa5udhDNT4

Pete: I have to admit I have no idea who this is. They are not French, that much is obvious....and this song truly blows lol I'm trying to find any redeeming feature....I'm so sorry, I can't.

David: Very artsy. I had to listen to this a few times, but it is really something that wants me to hear more of what Satsu has to offer. Very cool.

Murr: I'm legit not sure how to feel about this.  On one hand, there are tons of gratuitous '80s-isms; on the other hand, it's also kind of weird and while I don't understand what's being sung, I feel like it's probably really sarcastic.  Uh uh uh uh uh... a ch-ch-ch-choo!  Ugh, so... this was actually thoroughly enjoyable, which I wasn't expecting when it first started, and I don't even know why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 am

Theme 9C: '60s French Pop

NatWolf
Michel Polnareff - Love Me, Please Love Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptCl_Ey4sE

Murr: Lolz, so... this is funny.  A mere few years after this, he basically became Ian Hunter's doppleganger, which I think is mostly why I know him/my association with him.  This song has such an old sound... and I mean even old in the '60s.  Very '50s doo-wop sort of sound.  Does that put him ahead of his time, though, since that sound was revived in the early '70s?  idk.  Music trends are weird.  This is alright... inoffensive (in the bad way), but good.  There's nothing about it I can say I dislike (I do love those doo-wop qualities), but also nothing I can say I love about it.

David: This is a nice catchy song. The piano is nice. His voice is nice. The women prancing around in bikinis is strange, but whatever. I like it.

Pete: wow, this is before he got his afro in the 70s lol. I know this song, and while it's not something I would rave about, it's easily the best this round lol. He released another song as I recall, about a doll who always says "no, no, no" lol. LOLZ at those bikini girls standing around like muppets!

Chair
Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'aime... Moi Non Plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Fa4lOQfbA

Murr: So, I do like Serge Gainsbourg, but he can be hit or miss.  Of his '60s work, the soundtrack for "Anna" is obviously his masterpiece (bear in mind "Melody Nelson" was in the '70s, but that's his true masterpiece).  And his pedo-procession of teenage girls throughout the '60s was pretty cool for the most part (he was the driving force behind ye-ye, and the lolz-factor of this nearly '40 year old man preening young girls to be teen pop stars singing about blowjobs, masturbation, and anal sex is something I'll always cherish for its lolz).  But the Jane Birkin era... holy fuck, why?  I get it, they got married, they were in love - of all of his teenage girls, she was THE ONE for him.  It's a sweet love story, in a really dirty way.  But also, Jane Birkin was arguably the least talented of all of them.  That said, from what I gather, she was also weirder than the rest and not as preoccupied with being a teen pop star, so they did some weird-ass shit together (musically, I mean).  Oddly, subject matter aside, this is pretty tame in comparison to some of it.  WHICH ISN'T TO SAY I DON'T LIKE IT!  Because, I mean... this is creepy as fuck, and her voice is awful but in this hyper girly way (where I *think* she's kind of mocking femininity - akin to Lana Del Rey a few years back) - oh wait, I have to cut my commentary because I'm at the sex sounds part of the song (every teen pop song needs heavy-breathing sex sounds, right?) - What was I saying?  Actually, the more I rant, the more I realize I like this song, and I'm just trying to not feel like a creep (because liking this song definitely makes you a creep... like, you should probz be on a sex offender registry just for listening to this).  So, yeah.  Fuck.  At least it's less creepy than "Lemon Incest" (featuring his - at the time - underrage daughter, so... yeah.  On that note, shout-out to Charlotte Gainsbourg).  I should note that I'm half-joking, lest I tarnish his name to all you good people, that while he was a drunken creepy douchebag, he had redeeming qualities, and there's no denying his absolute genius (the man basically created, and controlled, an entire genre of rock/pop music almost single-handedly, and in his own work... you can't say he's not challenging).

Pete: I can't begin to tell you how much I dislike this song. Firstly, she can't sing to save herself....secondly, he can't sing either. So this song is about anal sex, not surprising really, coming from Mr Gainsbourg, the "original" bug-eyed pervert of 60s French pop. He once wrote a song for France Galle (french 60s teen icon) called "les sucettes", which basically means "the lollipops" , however, les sucettes is also a slang term for sucking cock lol, and there was france galle in a pop video basically singing about blow jobs, totally oblivious....you really need to check out the video to believe it. Serge the perv was probably pissing himself laughing as he saw it. One lyric from the song is "when that sweet aniseed tasting sugar flows down Annie's throat, she's in paradise...." I mean, seriously, how dense do you have to be??? Anyway, back to this song....she seriously has the worst voice ever put on vinyl....oh wait, perhaps Yoko Ono could give her a run for her money. Incidentally, their daughter is the actress in the "Nymphomaniac" movies that came out a few years back

David: I know this song and it is amazing. She sounds so sexy with her whispering and the Serge's is really nice. I guess this was banned for its erotic elements, but by today's standards it is quite harmless. You got a perfect score from me.

T-Daddy
Serge Reggiani - L'Hotel Des Rendez-Moi Ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9TCoOAH2w

Murr: T.ears.  So, this is the first song I have listed for this theme, so you get my rant.  I was OBVIOUSLY going for Jacques Brel with this theme, but also Juliette Greco, Barbara, Jacques Dutronc, Francoise Hardy, Marie Laforet, Jean Ferrat, Leo Ferre, Arsen Dedic, Dalida, and the procession of disposable Ye-Ye girls (Jacqueline Taieb, Syvlie Vartan, Brigitte Bardot, etc...).  Like, this era of French music is one of my absolute favorites (make of that what you will), and you guys picked the most random-ass stuff. heh.  It's cool, I guess I've listened to all of the above too many times already, may as well give other stuff a shot.  End rant.  So... this dude is from Italy, I believe (which is fine - Brel was from Belgium, Dalida from Egypt, etc...).  And I do actually really like this song (but t.ears, no Brel)/it's on probably the only album of his I've listened to in its entirety/own.  I remember looking up an English translation of this years ago... it's about a man banging a prostitute and this insecurity over people thinking they're just some random couple while they're walking down the street, and his emptiness over the whole encounter (ennui being such a French thing), right?  Which, I mean, prostutition was a super common theme in '50s and '60s chanson, so that's hardly groundbreaking, but I still kinda like it.  The celeste-y part around 1:50 is glorious, and then that raging brass right after it.  Alright, so this is pretty fucking good.  I'm just bitter because you guys missed perhaps the one chance in this game to send Jacques Brel.  But I'll get over it, somehow!  This is pretty awesome.

Pete: I know that 60s French pop is not the musical highlight of the 20th century....and I know that this guy is seen as one of the greats of the French Chanson, but it does nothing for me. Mind you, I wasn't impressed with any of his movies either before he became a singer. In my opinion, he's just a poor man's Jacques Brel (not that I'm a huge fan of his), but I can appreciate some of his stuff. The song has now finished, and I honestly can't remember anything about it lol, perhaps that's a good thing ! Oh wait, I have to give a score....ok, listened to it again...wow, just so bad. Sorry, I know i'm coming across a grumpy old man right now.

David: Wow, this is really good. I love how it starts how it changes the tone throughout the song. He has a great voice and the song is hyper dramatic. Makes me want to go back to France. Excellent pick.

Scores a-comin' next
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 am

Round 9 SCORES

So, first and last place are only 2.5 points apart, so not a big difference.  Which means you all did well (unless you're asking Pete regarding the '60s Frenchie theme, in which case you all sucked).

In first place, with a score of 61.5, we have...
Spoiler:

In second place, with a score of 60.5, we have...
Spoiler:

Which of course means, with a score of 59...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'mma post final 2 themes tomorrow, because, like... sleep.  But congrats to the final 2!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am

Eyeroll.

Good luck, Natalia. <3

metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:32 am

Good run, Cher. Grab me a sandwich and a cold one on your way out the door, hon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Tofu sandwich and green juice for you, bro.

kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Tofu banh mi though....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Alright, final 2 themes, for NatWolf and T-Daddy.  

Basic rules: There will be no scores for this final round - rather, each judge will name their favorite for each theme.  2 out of 3 wins the theme.  Whoever wins the most themes wins the game.  I had this really convoluted idea on how to break every possible tie, but... this is easier.

Also, there will be a lot of themes, because there are 3 judges and... you'll see.

Theme 10A: 1960s Reggae

This theme comes to you from Pete. Send a reggae song that was released in the 1960s.

Theme 10B: 1950s Jazz

This theme comes to your from David.  Send a jazz song/piece that was released in the 1950s.

Theme 10C: Arabic Classical Music / Traditional Arabic Pop

This theme is from me.  They're closely related, despite what the names (classical vs. pop) may suggest.  Not to be confused with simply "Arabic Pop" which came later.  Vocals or no vocals, your choice.  Some of these pieces can be quite long, so I'm enforcing a similar rule as the musique concrete round, but extending it to 15 minutes (you're allowed to opt for less, though - link or tell me the start time, and how long you'd like to go from there).  Umm, so yeah... send an Arabic classical or traditional pop song.

Theme 10D: Songs for Pete

For this theme, you'll send a song from one of Pete's unused themes (your choice of which).  Unrelated to this theme, but earlier Pete requested you not use anything he's mentioned in his comments (assuming I was doing a recycled theme) - so, that rule stands should there be any overlap.  Since there are multiple themes, I'm not posting lists for them all, so just... search whatever, find something that fits.  Pete's unused themes to choose from:

* Nouvelle Vague (band that does covers with various guest musicians/vocalists)
* Any foreign language cover version of an English song
* Second British Invasion
* Narrative songs (More a genre of "song" than music)
* Protest songs
* Dance-rock

Theme 10E: Songs for David

Same premise as above... pick an unused theme and send something from it.  David has made no such requests/nothing is banned.  List of David's unused themes:

* Underground Hip-Hop
* '80s Ska (specifically just '80s ska)
* Seattle Grunge
* Covers of Sinatra Songs (songs Sinatra performed, but performed by someone other than him)
* Song by a French Chanteuse

Theme 10F: Songs for Murr

Same premise, no bans.  My list:

* 1980s jangle pop
* Poezja śpiewana
* Weimar Republic era Kurt Weill/Bertolt Brecht (recordings can be from any era)
* Persian/Iranian folk music
* Boom-bap
* 1920s/30s Jazz

Theme 10G: Songs about alojas riding zaratans through tidepools whilst dreaming of Ondine

Because I promised there would be no "songs about unicorns riding phoenixes through nebulas whilst dreaming of David the Gnome", and because there needs to be an odd number of themes.  Obviously this is basically "song of choice", of course (Pete's bans remain intact for this theme, though).

1960s Reggae: Click
1950s Jazz: Clack
Arabic Classical/Traditional Pop: Cluck

There's no firm deadline; it's a lot of songs, and it's the final 2, so... take the time you need.  Send songs to me, of course.  And good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Sorry, I’ll send later. Been a busy past few days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:01 pm

No worries. I didn't plan to even start nagging you guys unless you took 4 days, so you're both good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:02 pm

WolfNVX4444 wrote:
Sorry, I’ll send later. Been a busy past few days

apology accepted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm

lol The Lost Boys, haven't seen that in years !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emer_Halo

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 am

I thought it was Kenny G.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:37 am

Songs sent out for the last time. Good luck, bruhs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 am

Round 10 RESULTS / FINALE / WOOO AND SHIT

I'm posting the songs/comments in the order I sent them to the judges (not ranked by who won each theme).  Scores will come after the comments.  Here we go...

Theme 10A: '60s Reggae

T-Daddy
The Ethiopians - Woman Capture Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkrmOZQZKo

Pete: First of all, congratulations to both players for making the final, best of luck to the both of you. I've really enjoyed, on the whole, judging this competition, so thanks to Murr for asking me. Slightly underwhelmed by this pick, these guys had a few songs in the 60s but for me none of them really stood out. It's not a bad song, a nice mellow reggae feel, but there are so many superior songs available from that era imo.

David: This starts out very simple and then it continues to have a nice vibe. I like the lyrics. Nice pick.

Murr: So, admittedly, reggae isn't really my thing.  I tried a while ago, but like... yeah.  I mean, this sounds like reggae.  What else can I say?  Naw, it's not bad.  The vocal harmonies are nice, has a relaxed feel, the beat is pleasing... it's reggae.  I do like the interplay of the vocal harmonies, and the sort of raw sound of it.

NatWolf
Desmond Dekker - Israelites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Y2hv-3UCM

Pete: This is about as safe a pick as you can get for this theme lol. Classic reggae track with some fantastic lyrics "shirts dem a' tear up, trousers are go' , I don't want to end up like Bonny and Clyde". This song basically put reggae on the international map, and became one of those songs with a lot of "misheard lyrics" due to his strong Jamaican accent. I remember one British comic in the 80s admitting that he thought he was singing "me ears are alight" lol

David: This is really good too. You guys are making this difficult for me. This is just a tad bit more upbeat

Murr: This, too, is reggae.  Also cool vocal harmonies, a relaxed feel, etc... The lead vocal here is more interesting (melodically), but this also sounds a little more like what my impressions of reggae were before ever really listening to reggae.  Sidelolz: that '60s stereo mixing technique of the vocals on one side, the instrumental on the other... lolz.  Glad that didn't last long.  The lead vocal here is pretty nice, though.

Theme 10B: '50s Jazz

T-Daddy
Clifford Brown - Joy Spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2gHrmxhA0s

David: I love horns and I love how everything is arranged so well. I really like this one. I feel like I am in a club.

Pete: This is not a genre I'm familiar with, even though I know of it, if that makes sense. I do like how it's used in certain movies, specially in Alan Parker's "Angel Heart". I do like the 'understated' use of the drums. I should really make a concerted effort to find out more about this genre, cause I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying this.

Murr: Like reggae, '50s jazz is something I've always had trouble getting into.  With various -bop styles, and cool jazz in response, and idk... It's like that point when jazz started becoming too intellectual and losing something, imo.  Not to say I hate it, mind.  Like, this is a perfectly enjoyable piece, but it doesn't really hit me in any way.  It's a fun listen, engaging, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it - and then it ends, and that's that.

NatWolf
Miles Davis - Blue In Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPL7BExSQU

David: This is so smooth. This takes me to a place. I just want to kick back and soak it all in. This is more difficult for me because the two songs are so different, but just due to the fact that this really puts me in such a relaxed mood

Pete: So I've heard of this guy, and I'm familiar with some of his stuff as it's something that Clint Eastwood has used in a few of his films I think. This is a lot slower than the first pick, different style I guess, and of course it includes the piano which is probably my fav instrument (cause I'm trying to teach myself). But all in all, I do prefer the more upbeat style of the first selection.

Murr: I seem to have a bunch of my grandfather's old records (which is weird), including some Miles Davis records.  Funny enough, I listened to the album this was on just a couple months ago, as I do periodically... Not because I love it, but because I always feel like there's something I'm "missing".  This is pretty... with a good vocal, this could be pretty fantastic.  But as an instrumental, it just seems kind of lethargic (and not in that floaty, atmospheric way I love... lolz).  But it is definitely pretty and has a distinct feel to it - albeit the feel is that of a scene in some old melodrama or some wanky "art film" (neither of which is a bad thing in context, but...).  This is a tough one, because I don't hate either submission, but I also don't love either.

Theme 10C: Arabic Classical/Traditional Pop

NatWolf
Bustan Abraham - Hamsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujX8WQdW5cI

Murr: T.ears, I tried to be a megalomaniac with this theme and hinted at Umm Kalthoum (absolute genius) in my write-up for it, but you both ignored me.  You also both seemed insistent on pushing the line here.  This seems to have more of a modern sound, with some distinctly Western - almost jazzy - influences.  That said, it is quite beautiful and haunting.  And since it's a newer recording, the clarity is actually fantastic - with this sort of stuff, everythng I listen to tends to be old (and mostly recorded live), so it's really cool hearing all of these instruments with such clarity - that with the intervals inherent in this type of music makes it all spinny and kinda floaty.

Pete: Well, if I knew very little about the previous theme, I know next to nothing about this one lol. It's not an unpleasant sound.....though I have to admit, as it started I immediately thought it would be perfect as background music in a movie where some bad guy has just slipped a snake into the hero's bedroom and the camera follows the serpent on its quest to deliver its venom. I also half expected to lead to some kind of crescendo finale which never materialised. But yeah, it's ok....whether it's something I would listen to again, not so sure.

David: This really is nice. I like how one instrument dominates and then another one takes over. I imagine riding a camel in the desert with this as background music. Because it sets my imagination aglow

T-Daddy
Souad Massi - Ghir Enta (سعاد ماسي - غير انت )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-GvHSt9Onw

Murr: So, I listened to both of these when you guys submitted them, and remember loving the intro to this.  And this time, it doesn't disappoint.  Overall, again, a much more modern sound to this.  But her voice is fantastic, and the pop-sensibility of it is actually really cool; there was a brief period where Bryan Ferry was clearly being heavily influenced by Arabic pop music, and this oddly reminds me of that (for some reason?).  I have no clue what she's singing, but it sounds terribly intriguing. It's definitely not Umm Kalthoum, but I'm pleasantly surprised here.  Another song of hers started playing right after - I'mma have to listen to more from her.

Pete: I've no idea what she's singing about, but it sounds passionate...a definite Spanish influence in my opinion with the guitar sound. Like the previous pick, perhaps not something I would listen to again, but that's not to say I thought it was bad. Probably the toughest choice so far to pick a winner...

David: Starts out very pleasant and then she starts singing. She has a nice voice. It's very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:45 am

Pt. 2

Theme 10D: Pete Songs

NatWolf
(Foreign Language Covers) Seu Jorge - Life On Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M05dpNBFTE0

Pete: I first heard this cover version maybe 6 years ago, and I was amazed. I really like his voice. He did a full album of Bowie covers, his version of "changes" is awesome. Fantastic pick!

David: I love this song. Always have. This starts off very good and his voice is very pleasant. His guitar playing is nice.It is simple and beautifully done.

Murr: Ah, man.  I remember when his covers were all over the place.  I've always loved his voice.  And the intimacy of this cover is great... "Life On Mars" is really kind of a sad song, sort self-consciously escapist because of that sadness.  I mean, obviously it's nowhere near the original, but that's kinda not the point... completely different feel.  

T-Daddy
(Protest Songs) The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVpihgwE18

Pete: I think I was 11 when I first heard of these guys. They are originally from Newcastle (where I live now), and I once read that the lyrics of the song were changed slightly when they covered it to reflect this ("in this dirty old part of the city"). Was this originally written as a protest song? Or was it simply a song that became associated with Vietnam etc and then became synonymous with 'protest'? Not sure. Either way, it's still a brilliant track, Eric Burdon's vocals are legendary. This time it's even more difficult to pick a winner, both would get a 10/10 score...

David: This song is just OK for me. I know it well, but it never did much for me.

Murr: This is so '60s.  I love the verses here... that distinctly R&B/mod sort of sound.  The chorus is kinda there - sounds good, but doesn't add much... but dat verse.  One of those moments where The Animals and Them are almost indistinguishable. <3 ANYWAY... it's a great song.  I'm gonna have to come back to this theme, because I'm honestly not sure which I like better - both are really good (not amazing, but really good) in completely different ways.

Theme 10E: David Songs

T-Daddy
(French Chanteuse) Annie Phillippe - Baby Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdGMdBuwUE

David: I like this song, but she really doesn't do much with it.

Pete: LOLOLOL at the 1 min mark, whoever did the video claims that she sings better than Diana Ross !! I hate to break to him, but she definitely doesn't!! Not only that, whoever wrote the French version didn't do it any favours either, the words don't fit with the melody. I know that in the 60s in France, more than half the songs were cover versions of English language songs, but believe it or not, some were actually quite good.....this song does not fall into that category, in my opinion.

Murr: lolololol!  The trend of ye-ye girls (and boys, I guess) covering English language pop songs is something I've always loved, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.  I have a couple compilation records of just that, actually - I think this is on one of them, in fact. <3  This song is so much better in French... something about '60s bubblegum pop songs being sung in French suddenly makes them sound kind of camp and cheeky.  This is great.

NatWolf
(French Chanteuse) Barbara - L'Aigle Noir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-2w4TgIQE

David: This is nice. I like her voice and the instrumentation sounds very pretty.

Pete: lolol when I first looked at the title I had no idea what this song was, but as soon as it started and instantly recognised it, I just never knew what it was called! This is regarded as a highlight of the Chanson Francaise. I personally think it's pretentious and too arty for its own good....the song starts off by saying " one beautiful day, or perhaps it was night...near a lake blah blah blah...then out of nowhere, piercing the sky appeared a black eagle" , well, if it was night, how the hell could you see a black eagle piercing through the sky ???? Oh wait, maybe there was a full moon and the stars were all shining brighter than a 200 watt bulb. Sorry, not for me. lol, difficult to pick a winner this time cause I didn't like either of them.

Murr: I love Barbara so much.  I mean, fuck... just listen to her voice.  It's inhuman.  Since complaining is half the fun of judging these things, here's a complaint: this definitely isn't my favorite song of hers.  I think it was released in the early '70s, and certainly has that sound, noodling bass, studio flanging, and all.  I tend to prefer her work in the early and mid '60s.  You could've sent, like, "Nantes" and automatically beat anything you were up against.  But the enjoyment of complaining aside, this is absolutely beautiful.  I just read the Youtube description: " It is reported by Barbara in her incomplete autobiography that, her father abused her many years starting at age 10."  Sexual abuse, mind - repeated, ongoing.  I don't read French (at least not well), but what I've read by proxy sounds pretty horrific.  And speculation that this song has to do with that is probably what makes it so iconic - and truly, reading the English translation in that context makes the quite powerful.

Theme 10F: Murr Songs

NatWolf
(Jangle Pop) The Smiths - I Know It's Over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2NgBVC1ps

Murr: Morrissey, the man everyone loves to hate (it's cool - I think he loves to hate everyone, too).  More fun complaints: The Church was available for this theme, and probably would've slaughtered everything else.  Anyway... so Moz for the opening line to be all going into a grave, then "oh well, enough said". <3  "Loud, loutish lover; treat her kindly / though she needs you more than she loves you".  Such a fantasitic line.  "And you even spoke to me, and said, 'If you're so funny/clever/good-looking, then why are you on your own tonight?'"  Another fantastic line.  Ugh, I really hate to admit it, but I fucking love Morrissey.  And yeah, a nod to Mr. Marr's jangle, of course.  This, as with most Smiths songs, is better than I want to admit, for some reason.

David: I do love The Smiths and this is one of their better songs. This is going to be difficult.

Pete: I still remember the first time these guys appeared on tv in the 80s, Morissey moving on the stage waving a bunch of flowers around, it was all a bit surreal. At the time, I wasn't a fan, but now I can appreciate their music a bit more. This is not a track I'm overly familiar with, but it is typically gloomy "Smiths style". I imagine this is a tune most Smiths fans would rave about, as for me, not so much.

T-Daddy
(20s/30s Jazz) Django Reinhardt and Coleman Hawkins - Stardust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJ5E8AnlWk

Murr: This is what jazz should be... a little chaos but not too much, a little relaxing chill but not too much... The '50s lost the plot when they tried to separate them and take each to an extreme without any balance.  That plodding guitar while other instruments just solo off into the ethers.  Kids these days, I swear (in the '50s, I mean).  The guitar solo here is incredible, of course... these little notes that take a second or two to resolve, and that dingy sound (that glorious dingy sound!).  This is almost unrecognizable from vocal versions of this song - which is a good thing, imo.

David: So this is why this is going to be difficult. Stardust is probably one of my favorite songs of all time. I think I read somewhere that this song was the most recorded song of the 20th century. Hoagy Carmichael composed the music in 1927 and two years later lyrics were added. I wish that you submitted a recording with the lyrics, but it is fine. It's a song about love and we all love a good love song. I have heard better renditions of this, but this is still pretty good. The Smiths were a shoe in until you submitted this.

Pete: I'm sure I've heard this before, but I cannot say where....must have been a movie, surely. Anyway, I like it.

Theme 10G: Alojas/Song of Choice

T-Daddy
Donovan - The Song Of Wandering Aengus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUT6mS0eY8

David: Someone submitted Donovan finally. Nice vocals. Good all around.

Pete: As a stand-alone poem, it's very good. Not so sure about Mr Leitch's melody or arrangement though. He had some really good songs, but for me, this isn't in that bracket.

Murr: So, I love Donovan, and Yeats isn't bad either.  But holy shit, he sounds so Scottish in this.  Something I love about this poem is repeating words within the same line/as rhymes of each other, but with slightly different meanings or contexts: "And when white moths were on the wing / And moth-like stars were flickering out" and "Through hollow lands and hilly lands" and "And pluck till time and times are done".  I especially love that last one, this distinction between "time" (existence) and "times" (events).  I fucking hate it when people bitch about rhyming a word with itself, like this pop-snobbery where you're educated enough to feel entitled to snobbery, but not well-read enough to realize how stupid your snobbery of choice is.  Sorry, that was a tangent. Heh.  Really, this is beautiful... a mythical love story from the memory of an old man, etc... And Donovan really does (did?  Does he still sing?  Did he die and I don't know?  I just learned about Bill Paxton's death a few days ago, so I can be out of touch with this stuff) have a great voice.  Simple but poignant and lovely.

NatWolf
Sigur Ros - Njosnavelin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM1QdRpFxU

David: Absolutely gorgeous song.

Pete: So it would appear that this was in Vanilla Sky. Never seen the movie, but I do like the sound of this tune, even if I have no idea what he's singing. The only problem is that, at over 7 minutes, it is a bit long-winded considering there are only a few lyrics repeated over and over.

Murr: And then there's this.  This.  So, this entire song - this entire album - is in "Hopelandic", a non-language.  So, there's no translation to look-up, it just is what it sounds like. (to note: most Sigur Ros songs are in Icelandic, and the use of Hopelandic is really overstated beyond this album).  Jonsi has such a beautiful voice, like some woodland nymph and a castrato, um, I was gonna say "fucked and had a baby", but then the whole castrato thing... like they created a pop singer baby through some elvin magic.  Sidenote: I like how you both chose sort of mystical sounding songs for this theme... it was song of choice, but you both seemed to kinda go for the bullshit title of the theme, which I appreciate.  I love when the sampled vocals start coming in, pitches all over the place... it's glorious.  There are a couple songs on this album ("Vaka" especially) where there's just a chorus of those disembodied, pitchy vocal samples all over the place.  I've heard other bands/artists try that, but no one else can ever quite get it right.  Everything about this is amazing, obviously.  I mean, yeah - don't know what to say, but this is amazing.

Who won what coming up in a bit...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 am

Alright, so again, 4 out of 7 wins the game.

For theme 10A: '60s Reggae, the winner is...
Spoiler:

For theme 10B: '50s Jazz, the winner is...
Spoiler:

For theme 10C: Arabic Classical/Trad. Pop, the winner is...
Spoiler:

For theme 10D: Pete Songs, the winner is...
Spoiler:

For theme 10E: David Songs, the winner is...
Spoiler:

For theme 10F: Murr Songs, the winner is...
Spoiler:

At this point, it's tied 3-3.  So, great job to both of you.  But the winner of theme 10G: something about alojas idfk, and therefore the winner of Genre Idol, is...
Spoiler:

So yeah, that's that!

Spoiler:

Thanks to both of you for playing and just being Gs.  And thanks to everyone else, except Cherry, for playing this; I honestly assumed it wouldn't cast, and was pleasantly surprised.  And special thanks to Pete and David for judging (and REALLY fast, damn), especially in a game with such varied themes (where inevitably we'd each encounter themes we didn't particularly like).  

Peace!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:24 am

Congrats, Nat <3

lolz Murr gave me a false spoiler, he just said to me I POSTED RESULTS, GO CONGRATULATE SANDWICH BOY. So you know, HAPPY I WILL HAVE TO DO NO SUCH THING.

Thank you for being such great judges, David and Pete. No thanks to Murr for hosting this. xoxo.

WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 am

Oh shit, I actually didn't think I'd win! Good job, T-Daddy. You really had me worried there.

Thanks for a great game, Murr! And Pete and David too. This might have been the toughest idol game I've won because all three of you have really unique tastes that it was hard to predict what would go over well or not. Very glad I played!

Another notch on the king's belt Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 am

Congrats Nat! I didn't expect to beat the Tom Brady of the music Idols (minus the cheating scandals of course), but I'm glad I made it close.

Thanks to T-dawg, Pete, and David for hosting and judging, this game was thoroughly enjoyable and something I put a lot of effort in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 am

This was a great game. The players really put a lot of effort into choosing music. It really showed. Thank to Murr for asking me to judge. I had a great time listening to the music. Music is a very personal and almost a religious experience for me. Sometimes words just don't cut it when trying to describe the feelings that music stirs in me. Murr and Pete are great judges and it is very nice to know that others out there have a great love for all kinds of music. Again, the players really surprised me. You all did great in choosing some absolutely wonderful music. Thanks again to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   

Back to top Go down

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next