Forum for the IMDb Games community

Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Ew.

metsrus

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Cherry, just make him a sandwich already.  Jeez.  Anyway...

Theme 6: Musique Concrete / Electroacoustic RESULTS

Natwolf
William Basinski - A Shadow in Time

https://youtu.be/YMqR1Azi5VA?t=13m

Murr: This… <3  I love this.  Alright, so I didn’t even try to type… I just closed my eyes and listened.  There’s that static hum of white noise that gradually falls away, with all of these little sounds low in the mix that sound like they’re leaving.  It somehow reminds me of a subway, like… coming down from being stoned, riding BART through the East Bay Tunnel, and mentally drifting off.  There are sounds that I’m sure were samples of water droplets, and brief moments of what sounded like a subway conductor’s voice, and that melody/loop as the white noise faded… idk what to say.  This is pretty much perfect.  It’s probably the most beautiful piece of music in the game so far.  It sounds like dying, or drifting out of (or into) some sort of consciousness.  Yeah, this is fucking beautiful and I love it. If that fade out could last 2 hours straight, I’d listen to it all, and then play it again.

David: I am familiar with this and I do love it. I find it absolutely gorgeous. It takes me to that place where ideas and visuals mesh as one. Love it.

Pete: I know, I'll just stick my dinner in the microwave, put it on "slow cook" for 10 minutes, record the sound it makes (the microwave, not my dinner), filter it through some kind of synthesizer, add a couple of random notes....BOOM , I got myself a piece of sound that some pretentious noob somewhere will claim is fantastic lmao. The last piece, even though it's not my kinda thing, I can at least appreciate for what it is and when it was made. This is meant to be a eulogy to David Bowie.... SERIOUSLY?????? Have some respect!!!

Total: 22/30

T-Daddy
Edward Artemiev - Solaris Theme - Full Bach (1972)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_vi67SHU4E

Murr: It starts off kind of like an early ‘70s Pink Floyd throwaway on Ummagumma or something.  But around 3:30 when that vibrato-laden whatever comes in, it becomes kind of magical.  Then this rumbling noise. <3  And now I’m hooked.  Something really interesting about this is the use of space, in terms of sound… I don’t know if its EQ wizardry, or if it was played back in the studio and re-recorded with someone moving the mic around.  But the feeling of space/distance changes, even as the music itself remains fairly repetitive.  It sounds like a “band” is playing and you’re walking around – close to the stage, far from the stage, in the next room over, etc…  as it just keeps playing.  I love that.  Even just lying here, listening to this it feels like I’m moving around.  And now this interplay of vibrato-y sounds… amazing.  Another great pick.

David: I know this one also and really like it. Not much more I can say.

Pete: I actually know this one! Only because of the movie it's from, and it stuck in my mind is because the movie is as boring as watching bat-shit dry....but it was one of those that got excellent reviews blah blah blah and a decent score on IMDB. As a stand-alone piece of music though, it's harmless enough....basic and not insulting to the tympanic membrane.

Total: 21.5/30

Oui Henri
Ólafur Arnalds, Alice Sara Ott - Reminiscence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hffMLTmRe9A
Murr: So, this isn’t necessarily my favorite genre, or that I’m most familiar with (some I love, some I don’t; some I know, some I don’t).  But what got me into it was actually its influence on post-rock and ambient music.  Which makes this pick so interesting – Olafur Arnalds has worked with Sigur Ros (one of my favorites) a fair amount, and was one of the first non-classical (read: not super old) composers I listened to.  This isn’t the best representation of the genre (use of samples and loops are limited, whatwith the collaboration with Alice Sara Ott, who’s a proper pianist, and it being a Chopin piece, so samples/loops would be out of place) – it’s probably not really a representation at all (but he was on the lists, so fair enough), given this is actually a Chopin piece (lolz).  But it is a beautiful piece, I love Chopin, I love Arnalds… perhaps the best arrangement/performance I’ve ever heard of this piece.  I did accept it, and he was on the list, so I can’t really grade it down for not fitting the theme.  So, by that loophole, well done!

David: I listened to this a few times to see if there was something I might have missed, but I was kind of underwhelmed by this. It starts out pretty, but most of it is kind of jarring. Can't really put my finger on it, but it just wasn't my thing.

Pete: Ok, I'm not familiar with this genre at all. I think the best way to approach this is to listen to all the pieces and then try and judge. This piece stands out, because to me it sounds more classical than any of the other pieces....but if murr allowed it then it must fit the theme. It's a lovely piece of music, something you would expect to hear when watching a ballerina performing an entrechat...so this video was a bit surreal.

Total: 20.5/30

Acapulco Chair
Francisco Meirino - You Know Nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfAI4iL5AM

Murr: This is kind of unnerving, but also really cool.  I like how that low, synthesized rumbling is actually manipulated into discernible pitch – an actual melody.  Oh, and around 2 minutes how that eerie high frequency sound just starts rapidly bouncing back and forth in the stereo field.  Those scraping sounds are a little grating, but I like how when the second one comes in, the timing between the two is off, so it almost sounds like delay, but bouncing around IN STEREO!  It’s always something I tend to like… when a rhythm/”beat” is broken up and manipulated until it makes no sense – the mind likes consistency and some steady pulse/beat, but when that expectation is broken in a clever way, it can sound incredible.  It’s no “A Shadow In Time” or “Geologie Sonore” (shout out to you kids!), but it’s definitely good.

David: Interesting. I like it. First it feels like I am traveling in a time machine. Then there is some kind of typing sound with a creepy voice in the background. Then there it sounds like someone is sharpening knives. That starting giving me a bit of a headache. Then the creepy voice comes back. More my speed. Why is that? I don't know.

Pete: I'm guessing this is what Murr was referring to when he said that "Some is just legit noise". I'm trying to associate the sounds....or try and guess what they might be attempting to replicate. Someone writing with a fountain pen even though there's no ink in it / Knives being sharpened / a very old tv being tuned / A "computer" voice from the 70s. So my question is this: Is this the concept for this piece? You're supposed to find your own imagery while listening and is it suppose to create some kind of emotive reaction? All in all, not my favourite round. I realise that music evolves, and someone from 1930 could listen to today's music and be horrified (to be fair I despise 90% of today's stuff), and 100 years from now this kind of music/sound may well be the "in-thing". It reminds me of the time one of my uncles introduced me to "Zeuhl" music, he had 1000s of LPs (different genres), but I genuinely thought he had too much money and perhaps couldn't figure out how to spend it so he bought loads of crap that no-one else would buy just to be different (I was only 13 at the time). He then asked me what I thought of it....I simply asked if he had anything by The Clash, and he looked at me like I was the weird one lmao!!

Total: 20/30

Tara g.oddess
Bernard Parmegiani - Géologie Sonore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3z90oPERQY

Murr: This another one I just closed my eyes for.  I love those low rumbling sounds throughout – that frequency you can really *feel*, like it’s an actual physical thing happening to you.  This is just absolutely beautiful.  This is the type of stuff I really imagined for the theme – some other picks have been amazing, but this really captures what I was going for.  I don’t even know what to say, and I’m kinda sleepy now, but… yeah, great pick.

David: At first I wasn't sure what was going on here, but then I heard something. OK, sounds interesting. It's kind of spacey. I only wish it went on a little longer.

Pete: The sound of Geology? When the title is translated into English, you suddenly realise that it is well named lmao. People actually buy this?? I get it that we all have different tastes etc, and I accept it....but there are times when I try and understand it and my brain just goes into "does not compute" mode.

Total: 19.5/30

ELIMINATED:

Spoiler:

Murr: Lolz.  This is well into the noise category.  But some of these sounds, with this sort of early stereo mixing, is kind of amazing.  There doesn’t seem to be a consistent sound/theme holding this together as a piece – some moments in it are a mindfuck (in a good way) and very satisfying, while others are just… Like someone was doing the soundtrack for an old B-movie, had a bunch of samples, and just started banging on buttons.  The part around 4:15 is amazing, though (edit: as is the part around 9:00), as are some other parts.  On a technical level, this is genius – this degree of sound manipulation, this many samples, so deliberately (yet chaotically) organized over 10 minutes.  I just wish there were some actually musicality to it, or some motif to carry it, as I have a feeling this won't go over well (I don't imagine this will be Pete's favorite theme at all, but this... I fear he might try for a negative score).  Regardless, it's pretty good and definitely an interesting choice.

David: This is something I probably would have loved years ago, but now I just find it a bit too much. With music like this I need something to grab onto and as much as I tried, I just couldn't find the groove.

Pete: First impression is that this is something I would have expected to hear in an old episode of "The Twilight Zone" (Fantastic show btw). But there's a big difference in something you would hear in a show and something you would listen to through choice. I can appreciate the process, considering when it was made, which is fine...but would I ever choose to listen to this at any given moment? The answer would be a resounding "NO".

Total: 17/30

T. Earsworth III. I was hoping to rig you to the finals.  Alas, it didn't work out.  Really glad you signed up, always much love.

New themeS up in a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Actually... I want to clarify with a judge on which theme he'd like to use this round. Both have a theme up this round, so if either of you want to change your picks, let me know. I'll post the new themes in early evening-ish, so not too long - don't worry!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm

The scores from me all were within 3 points of each other, so everyone did a pretty good job. I have been really impressed so far with the submissions for the most part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Theme 7A: Madchester sound (including bands influenced by it)

This theme comes to you from Pete.  Pretty self explanatory (and yes, bands influenced by it count).  To note: if you're going to send *that* song, also send a back-up - because someone else has probably already sent it.  This should be a theme that all of the judges like, so be careful with your picks (it might be competitive/I imagine this will be a high scoring theme overall).

Theme 7B: British Progressive Rock

This theme comes to you from David.  Send a prog-rock song by an artist/band from Britain/the United Kingdom.

Wiki for Madchester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madchester
RYM for Madchester: Click here for a good time

Wiki for progressive rock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock
RYM for British progressive rock: Clickety Clack

Send songs to me, Tomcat Murr. 48 hour deadline from this post.  Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:03 pm

I wasn't as successful as I hoped to be with that submission, not in trying to moving on, but in making the judges listen to something they don't like. Y'all are so strange I can't even troll you with noise. Thanks for letting me play, good luck everyone the rest of the way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Lol Pete trooping through this <3

kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm

That theme was the kind of music I listen to when I want to study or take a nap and never really pay attention to. I only sent the one I did cuz it had The Mountain from GoT in the video Laughing

I wish I knew what *that* song was. Can someone tell me plz?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Quote :
I wish I knew what *that* song was. Can someone tell me plz?

I have to admit I'm confused as to what it might be too lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Oh good. I don't have a clue either, and was too embarrassed to admit it, but I mean, if Pete doesn't either, clearly this is just some weird Murr delusion about a song.

tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

I`m disappointed I left before we got to the Ambient-screamo theme. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 am

Ambient-screamo glitchcore impressionist-vaporwave bluegrass will be the next theme. SORRY!

Anyway, songs sent out. G'luck, kiddos.

Also, by popular demand... *that* song I was referring to was "I Wanna Be Adored", by The Stone Roses, which is far and away probably the most famous song of the Madchester scene (not saying it's anywhere near the best, because it's not... but definitely widely known, and I wrongly thought it would be the popular pick). But I forgot that this forum is some kind of musical bizarro world, so no one even tried to send it. <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:22 am

Y'all he and I just had a 10 minute argument after I informed him he's crazy and no one knows wtf that is blah

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 am

And I informed you that when NME, Q, and other corporate shitfest magazines going for mass reader appeal/agreement list something as one of the greatest songs of all time, it's probably not some obscure song that only music nerds know. blah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 am

Honestly though, you live in this world where you think the average person has a vast musical knowledge of decade and every less common genre and subgenre. Music magazines probably are mostly read by music nerds. That isn't insulting anyone, I don't think it's bad to be a music nerd, just saying that they are produced for a reason, for fans of music to read. People don't have the same common knowledge of things in general. I'm not going to start quizzing you about football quarterbacks and then be like BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS, IT WAS RANKED NUMBER 2 IN ESPN MAGAZINE. 

You've already been proven wrong by no one, not even Pete, knowing immediately what you were referring to, but you still refuse to admit defeat <3

tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 am

Stone Roses rock, and I probably would have sent them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 am

Round 7 RESULTS

Theme 7A: Madchester

Results format will be a little different.  By ranking for each theme, but to give a little suspense (since there are 2 themes/have to math them up), I won't post scores until the end.

NatWolf
Stone Roses - Sally Cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYsQcIMPOnQ

Pete: These guys were really good for 5 minutes, then they disappeared as quickly as they came on the scene. The song Murr was referring to was voted top song from the Madchester genre in a recent poll. I personally don't think it was their best song, never mind the best out of the whole genre. Even this  is better imo, such a sweet song, love the fact that you don't find out til the end that the letter was sent to Sally from another girl <3. Some cracking songs sent this round....

David: I remember I put this band in medium rotation at our station. I thought they were OK. Not amazing, but likable enough. Still this kind of sticks in my craw. I just never understood how guys who looked like girls were always singing about chicks. These guys are prettier than Sally Cinnamon for sure. Anyhow, this is just OK.

Murr: I’m still shocked that “I Wanna Be Adored” wasn’t anyone’s reference point – I do like the song.  I’m not saying it’s the best thing ever, as people seemed to want to claim during their reunion hysteria some years back, but… yeah.  Anyway, I like that this is more in the realm of jangle pop – a much better sound, imo, than “Step On”.  It almost sounds like a less pretentious version of The Go-Betweens (disclaimer: I like the pretense of The Go-Betweens).  Oh, wait, the end gets into the realm of Go-Betweens pretense – a narrator who, as it turns out, is just reading a letter that someone else wrote, ultimately begging the question, “wait… so who is Sally Cinnamon to the narrator, then???”  I assume just a random letter in a random jacket found on the train… but that’s so anti-climatic for a love song/pop song, yeah?  Which is what makes it so good. <3  Jangle-pop + needlessly detached storytelling with disgusting preciousness = WIN!  Great song.

Henry
Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8maBsuhHr4

Pete: "Son I'm 30 , I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty", surely one of the best opening lyrics EVER! First heard this the week I arrived at University, loved it ever since. The tune is infectious, and of course the song's chorus is a total rip-off of Lady Marmalade, but I don't care about that. Love the guitar sound, while the backing vocals by Rowetta work a treat. Will never get tired of listening to it.

David: Happy Mondays once again. I remember this one also. One of my DJ's fought me to put his in heavy rotation. My college radio station at the time generally didn't put stuff that was on MTV in heavy rotation. I eventually won, because most of the other DJ's said they just wouldn't play it no matter where it was in the rotation. The Yippy Yippy
stuff in the song is really annoying.

Murr: Crucifying people is really such a bore.  So much effort for such an anachronistic bit of accomplishment, ya know?  Naw, this song is pretty solid.  The lyrics are pretty clever, and musically it’s an interesting mix of styles.  The video is lulzy, though… the whole baggy look just makes them look like overgrown awkward teenagers awkwardly dancing amongst models. Anyway, yeah, good pick.

Chair
New Fast Automatic Daffodils - Stockholm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ll7R7bJxPU

Pete: This is probably the weakest of the 5 selections, but it's still ok as  a song. His voice is quite distinctive, while the sound is true Madchester. On a side note, listening to this song led to me finding Saint-Etienne - Only love can break your heart , which I haven't heard in years <3

David: I remember this band also. This is pretty good for what it is. This is the best song of the Manchester theme. Still isn't going to make me a fan.

Murr: So yeah, this is fantastic.  I’d totally forgotten about this song, and then when it started, “oh, this song!”  “You'll soon be dust, your deeds already are / You saw no orb, no fiery bushes either” – that’s a kind of sentiment/worldview I can get behind.  This is really more what I was expecting of the theme, tbh… these gritty but anthemic melodies, roots in jangle pop, a variant of ‘60s psych/garage filtered through the danceability of music from the late ‘70s/’80s.  His voice is fantastic – and by that I mean it’s kind of awful, but in such a good way.

T-Daddy
Northside - Shall We Take A Trip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvw57NG-DZ8

Pete: This song was banned at the time, for obvious reasons lmao. But it's a great song, probably their best, I would say. Wonderful lyrics, very similar to Lucy in the sky with diamonds, the only difference being that these guys didn't shy away from the true meaning of their song.

David: This kind of has a 60's groove to it. Kind of. I don't know. Nothing here is making me very excited. It's OK.

Murr: This might be going a little too far into ‘60s garage pop nostalgia.  I realize this entire era of music was largely based on that, but this is a little too much. Heh.  It’s still good, though. “Flashback to your days of youth / You've been there once, you're living proof”… Alright, I’m not saying that’s a profound line (that would require psychedelics, and might only be slightly more profound than the texture of the floor in a way existing since the beginning of time, ya know?), but it is a clever line (the idea of being older a testament to the fact you were young… the fact that you get older becomes living proof of youth).  Blah blah, rant.  Not the best song, but again – the whole ‘60s sound roots of it are nice.

Tara
Happy Mondays - Step On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0xdLO_bmo

Pete: "You're twisting my melon man !!" Brilliant lol. This is in fact a cover version, pretty sure the original was from the 70s. Love the piano and guitar sound. Happy Mondays had a few very decent songs and this is one of them. Of course, some of you may recognise the lead singer Shaun Ryder, who made a guest vocal appearance on The Gorillaz hit Dare.

David: I am not a big Manchester fan, so scores won't be as high in this round as they were in other rounds. I will try to keep an open mind though. Manchester music was big when I was music director at my college radio station. When Manchester was exploding, so was rave and grunge music. I was into the latter and really didn't care for the Manchester thing. Happy Mondays was put in light rotation at my station, because I just didn't think they were that good. I remember this song was on MTV and I never really liked it much. I still don't care for it. Sorry.

Murr: So, lots of melon stuff.  Melons are good.  Wait… Um, yeah.  This is perfectly fine, not at all a bad song… but I’m also having trouble even focusing on it.  So, I’m forcing myself now, and just… I can’t think of anything bad to say about it, but I also can’t say I really enjoy it all that much.  And now it’s over.  Yep.

Theme 7B in the next post...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am

Oh look, someone sent Kinky Afro ~hides before Murr makes me sleep on the couch again~

TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am

Theme 7B: British Progressive Rock

Chair
Porcupine Tree - Moon Touches Your Shoulder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGc66wTvmVE

David: The beginning of this song starts out sort of sounding like Pink Floyd somewhat. This song is really great. It is probably the best submission of this entire game so far. I love this. Can't wait to see who submitted this. This is incredibly moving.

Pete: I have to admit, I've never heard of these guys...but wow, what a mellow tune, and a great sound. I really like this one! It has been added to my ever-growing playlist  Smile  , it slowly builds up to a great finish.

Murr: The beginning sounds somewhere between Veedon Fleece-era Van Morrison and ‘70s Pink Floyd (I think you know which of those references is more positive, imo).  That Gilmour-ish lead guitar is… I mean, it’s pretty.  This is actually kind of beautiful (note: with more reverb and less Gilmour, it would almost sound like some early Red House Painters/slowcore kinda stuff).  WHAT IS A CLOUD BLUR???  Because that sounds really like it would be really cool.  I like clouds and I like blurs, so I imagine the two combined is amazing.  This is actually beautiful and really floaty, even if it does get a bit into ‘70s Floyd territory (I’m only half sincere about saying that as a bad thing, of course).

T-Daddy
Deep Purple - Child in Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wAPTsjhrjM

David: This is my favorite Deep Purple song. You chose very well.

Pete: Wow, not a sound I would associate with Deep Purple! When it first started I thought it was Jethro Tull lol. This must have been when they first started out. With a video filmed in Switzerland  Wink  Yeah, slightly surprised by the sound, but in a pleasant way. At 10 mins, perhaps a little too long for my liking...it is very operatic in structure. Brave pick !

Murr: I’ve never really liked Deep Purple.  I do like Tommy Bolin’s solo stuff, if that counts, but I mean… wasn’t he only in the band for like a year, and well after this?  I do like the “oooo oooo oooo” part a lot – it’s actually really good, and that little “wait for the ricochet” line right before it is oddly satisfying.  I mean, until Gillan goes for Plant-like screeching, ugh.  For Deep Purple, this is actually surprisingly good.  Idk.  Prog isn’t generally my favorite, with a few exceptions.  This is enjoyable, though – particularly the instrumental parts… oh, and the end is kind of glorious, I admit.

Tara
Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUlA8Hcv4s

David: This was a very popular song back when I was a kid of 10 or 11. My friend Bobby was always trying to get me into this band when we would play albums in my basement. I was always trying to make him like Grand Funk Railroad and Dead Kennedy's. I liked some of ELO and this always reminded me of the Beatles. It is a happy sort of song. Bobby would have given it a better score for sure.

Pete: Not their best song, but I do like it. Certain parts of it remind me other tracks (Rubber bullets / Excerpt from a teenage opera).

Murr: ELO. <3  I realize they’re categorized as prog, but given such a strong pop sensibility, I never think of them as that.  This definitely isn’t my favorite ELO song (anything on Eldorado probz would’ve gotten a 10 from me – for future reference).  WELCOME TO THE HUMAN RACE!  Fun fact: Marc Bolan played guitar on some early ELO recordings (well before this song, of course – he was dead by the time this was released, I think) – I’ve heard rumors that Jeff Lynne even took part in some T. Rex recording sessions.  And of course Roy Wood’s early association before Wizzard.  Basically, ELO is one of those bands that doesn’t get enough credit, but were – in many ways – one of the most important and well-connected bands of the era.  Anyway, again – not my favorite ELO song, by any means, but I do love them and Jeff Lynne really can do no wrong.  So, great pick.

Nat
King Crimson - One More Red Nightmare

https://vimeo.com/44061751

David: I love King Crimson, but this must be relatively new seeing for some reason we have clips of Lost in the video. This isn't something I am digging much, but it is OK.

Pete: I only know these guys by name. This is not for me. yeah, I didn't like this at all, sorry.

Murr: So yeah, I’m usually not big on prog in general.  Some exceptions: various Kraut bands who toed the line (Amon Duul II, Sand, etc…), earlier Pink Floyd (Barrett era wasn’t prog, but those first early ‘70s albums – Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, etc…), some others here and there, and… King Crimson. <3  Their first album is, of course, a classic… But I digress.  This album (last before their break-up/hiatus), is fantastic.  This song, at parts, almost has a sort of Roxy Music vibe/sensibility… it’s “prog”, but it balances pop sensibility, virtuosity, and cheekiness so perfectly (hear: that lolzily magnificent handclap section, followed by lots o’ sax).  Something a little camp about it, in all its seriousness.  It’s really not even prog, imo – incorporating jazz was something big in the London scene in the ‘60s, so I almost feel like calling King Crimson prog is rudely anachronistic, given their stylistic origins.  Anyway, yeah, this song is fantastic.  Easily the best of this theme.

Henry
Genesis - Abacab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCNZe3Gwkw

David: Genesis was Progressive Rock when they first came out and had Peter Gabriel as their front man. Once Phil Collins took over the band became something completely different. This is when Genesis was a pop band and no longer had any progressive meat. It just isn't what I was looking for. Sorry.

Pete: I've always found that Genesis are very "hit & miss". I remember this song, and it's not something I've ever thought decent things about. It's middle of the road average Genesis. Not sure what else to say about it.

Murr: I can sometimes kinda tolerate some early Genesis stuff, but by this point they just became unredeemable.  I imagine some earlier Peter Gabriel-led stuff would’ve gone over alright, but anything Phil Collins-led is kind of a risk, and not in the good way.  I guess we’ll see.  I’m not crazy about this – but it’s not the worst thing ever.

Scores/elimination up next...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 am

First place, with a total score of 50, is:
Spoiler:

Second place, with a total of 44, is:
Spoiler:

Third place, with a score of 43.5, is:
Spoiler:

Fourth place, with a score of 40, is:
Spoiler:

Which means in last place, and eliminated with a score of 38, is:
Spoiler:

Sorry to see you go.  Your Madchester song scored high, only .5 from 1st place, but your prog rock song, well... yeah, that didn't do so well, unfortunately. T.ears.  Thanks for playing!

New themes up in a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomcatMurr

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 am

Going to 3 themes now, just so we all have a theme in for the remaining rounds...

Theme 8A: '70s Broadway for Turner

This theme comes to you from David, and is a bit bittersweet as Turner is no longer in the game.  Sorry, Turner!  But send a song from a Broadway musical/performance/cast recording from the 1970s.  

Theme 8B: Ska and 2-Tone

This theme comes to you from Pete, though David also requested a ska theme, so they should both like this.  Send a ska or 2-tone song (effectively a fusion of ska and punk, but not to necessarily be confused with '90s/'00s ska-punk or skate punk... please remember that distinction, for your own sake).

Theme 8C: Conscious Hip-Hop

My theme.  One of my favorite loosely defined sub-genres of hip-hop, defined more by lyrical content than by sounds - so there should be tons of stylistic variations here.  Because I'm a micromanaging asshole, there are some bans: Tupac, Biggie, Outkast, and Kendrick Lamar (love them, but I think every judge has heard anything you might send by them, even those who may not like the genre).

Wiki for Broadway in the '70s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_theatre#1970s
Incomplete list of '70s Broadway musicals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1970s_musicals
* No RYM list, because there's no one genre for this.  Just make sure it's from a musical that was performed on Broadway in the 1970s, kthx.

Wiki for ska: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska
Wiki for 2-tone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-tone_(music_genre)
RYM listing albums of both: This is clickable, as always

Wiki for conscious hip-hop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_hip_hop#Conscious_hip_hop
RYM album list for conscious hip-hop: clickable again!
* You aren't limited to this list.  There are several major albums/songs that are secondarily labeled as "conscious hip-hop" on RYM, too.  Even if it's a secondary category (not listed in bold), I'll accept it - but it must be listed as *at least* a secondary category (for the single, or for the album the song is on).  The list can help if you're lost/confused, though.

48 hour deadline.  Send songs to me, Tomas Gato Murrano.  Thank you all, and Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 am

T.ears. But it's bittersweet cuz while I'm sad I am leaving, im glad I don't have to be forced to listen to hip hop for this next theme ayyyyyy.

Byeee wave
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 am

Yay

Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

No normal themes I guess. I sent hope it was right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)   

Back to top Go down

Genre Idol (Finale / Winner announced)
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next