Share | 

Am I the only one that...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Am I the only one that...   Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:47 am

doesn't really think a critically acclaimed horror movie=a fun horror movie to watch? By fun I mean, you enjoy watching the movie and don't find yourself looking at your phone all the time cuz of whatever reason Laughing

I kind of feel like I am a bad person for getting very little enjoyment out of watching horror movies that are well received by critics. That is not the case all the time, because movies like the first Conjuring, Don't Breathe, Drag Me To Hell, and Blair Witch Project are actually pretty awesome and scary. But I've watched Get Out, It Follows, and most recently It, and while I won't deny they were well made movies, I don't think they were necessarily that fun to watch? Most of the time I was like, yea that looks very good that is one talented director, or, yea that is some good dialogue and social commentary right there!! But as far as actually enjoying the movie? Not so much.

I am not saying that I only love sh*tty horror movies either Laughing like if a movie is bad, I know it's bad. But maybe my expectations are too high when I see a horror movie with a tomatometer score higher than 85%?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:21 pm

If my horrors can't be scary, at least make them fun. When I rate a movie, I give bonus points if it's legitimately creepy/scary or if it's entertaining as hell.

I hated It Cums at Night, which got a lot of acclaim. People can defend it all they want, but it's slow and boring and a massive letdown. Where was the scary, ominous movie promised in the promotional materials? It definitely was NOT entertaining.

I liked Get Out. However, oddly, the part I loved most about this one aside from the super creepy paranoia angle which harkened back to classics is also the super cliché part of seeing an outnumbered protagonist sticking it a group of villains. The statement it makes was compelling enough to put it ahead of the pack, but it also manages to be entertaining as well.

A lot of people loved It, and I liked it enough, possibly better than the first, but the first one was pretty good stuff (for a TV movie) until it got to Part 2 and the remake's plot doesn't even cover that material (yet) so it's really truly kinda hard to compare them at the moment. I didn't find the new one scary though... just entertaining which is enough to warrant a high score. I didn't mind the jump scares either, though it seems to be a thing to hate on them. I am glad that it did well though because so many people blindly downvote a remake for daring to exist.

It Follows had the creep factor going for it which is why I rated it so highly, but the characters weren't very likeable and I don't know why the fuck so many horror fans are trying to make this out to be some original slasher flick when it hardly even fits into subgenre. That just gives an unknowing fan the wrong idea of the type of movie they're about the watch and that's not really fair to them. There were a lot of times where this one felt awfully slow, too. Same with The Babadook which was loved at the time it came out.

Hated The Visit. Hated it a lot, but then I saw it as wasted potential. That annoying kid doing rap  Rolling Eyes Did people actually enjoy that????

I think *my* problem with a lot of critical darlings is that they aren't as extreme as most horrors and therefore consciously don't offend the softer viewers/critics, most of who can't handle anything even remotely offensive and seem to love visuals a lot. They also want to see something different and weird, even at the expense of entertainment which is also where they lose me. So, when people like me and you (who fucking LOVE Saw - original AND sequels - and often watch the same type of movie over and over) see them, we aren't as impressed. Btw - It's amazing the number of posts I see from people who are angry that a horror movie kills off kids and animals.

Rule of Thumb for Myself. When it comes to horror movies, I tend to dislike the critical darlings. Critics eat up boring shit like A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, The Eyes of My Mother, and Evolution which are artsy horrors that are presented to be much better than they really truly are. When it comes to crime and thrillers, I tend to agree with the critics. Some of the best horrors ever started off with negative/middleroad critical reception but get beloved upon re-evaluation or through a cult following. That's the beauty of the horror genre is that critics can't keep a good movie down.

At the very least, I love watching movies that get shredded through Rotten Tomatoes only to discover that they are pretty good. Heart Then I can recommend them to my friends. I plan to watch the Inside remake tomorrow night, which got ravaged by critics so that tells me that I'll love it. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Don't Breathe is fairly fantastic. It only let's down in the last 15 minutes where it becomes fairly routine right up until its door left open for another sequel twist. It should've been a horror movie with the rare final (lone) boy. Shout out to Evil Dead and The Hitcher.

IT was my favorite horror movie that I saw last year. I'm not too high on a lot of modern horror movies that get a wide release (much smaller horror movies are so much better), but IT had that same greatness that movies like The Goonies and Stand by Me have and wasn't at all pretentious. I agree that it wasn't scary, but then again I can't remember the last where I've been scared by any horror movie. Even when I was little (I'm talking 4/5 years old) I was never scared by the horror movies my parents would let me watch with them. On a side note, I don't consider IT to be a traditional remake. It's another adaptation of Stephen Kings 1986 novel. Literature has been re adapted on film and stage forever. The 1990 television movie of the week didn't come up with (outside of the differences they included for their own film) shit. It was just something that happened and was neutered in the process. I always thought Tim Curry took too much away from the losers club as well.

Get Out, It Follows, It Comes at Night, The Babadook etc are all good in varying degrees. I understand why critics like them so much. Get Out's probably the most overrated film of the bunch, but I still thought there was a lot of great things about it. I especially liked It Comes at Night and It Follows. I don't pay attention to critics when it comes to horror movies because a lot of my favorite ones (especially ones I grew up with) are splats Laughing. All the awesome horror movies that came out after Scream's success for example. Even Final Destination has a 34 percent!

Last edited by Shred on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arik

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm

I still haven't seen IT yet. Get out was very good on first watch, it doesn't hold my attention on rewatch. Didn't care for It follows too much.
I tend to love either horrifyingly scary movies or fun films that don't try to hard.
Paranormal movies to me are the worst. They're not scary and hard to keep me interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Quote :
because a lot of my favorite ones (especially ones I grew up with) are splats

Yea that's me pretty much, some of the movies I grew up watching and enjoyed were definitely not loved by critics Laughing The first few Resident Evil movies, The Faculty, The Haunting with Catherine Zeta Jones (fight me)...Sometimes I get too curious and see a movie like It Follows or Get Out get nearly perfect scores on RT and I am like, I definitely need to check that out Laughing

Quote :
At the very least, I love watching movies that get shredded through Rotten Tomatoes only to discover that they are pretty good

This is what I need to do from now on lol.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 am

The Horror genre is kinda tricky, simply because what people class as "horror" varies a lot....and it's also pretty rare for film-makers to come up with something original within the sphere.

These kind of movies also also lose a lot upon 2nd viewing, especially the ones that rely on that "scare factor". Nightmare on elm street (original), for example, was fantastic when it came out, but it hasn't aged well, and repeated viewings are almost worthless....but on the other hand Let the right one in , which relies less on scares but instead focuses on storyline and character development actually necessitates repeated viewings.

As for the films mentioned in previous posts, It was very watchable with good performances, Get out felt like it took to long to get the "revelation" and then it was over far too quickly. People will argue that they were trying to build suspense etc, but for me, it felt rather dull.

I watched Happy death day[/i recently and thoroughly enjoyed it, a kind of cross between a teen slasher and groundhog day.

One horror movie I have watched several times, and I feel I will get slated for this, is [i]Cabin in the woods
. It's not brilliant by any stretch, but the story is cool with original concepts, and as Henry said in his post, I would class this as a "fun horror movie to watch"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 am

What's your favourite scary movie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 am

EnnJaySee wrote:
What's your favourite scary movie?

Once again, it's a difficult one to answer...cause not all horror movies are scary, and you can only judge its "scare" factor on first viewing...

I certainly remember being quite shaken the first time I saw The Omen when I was 11 or 12. It was also around that time that I saw a film called The Shuttered Room , which actually gave me nightmares !!! I watched it again recently and it's so tame I'm almost ashamed lol

so...favourite horror movie - Let the right one in
Favourite scary movie (on first viewing) - The eye (2002)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 am

I still have to see The Eye! I've been catching up on my Asian horror movies though.... finally saw Pulse, Dark Water, and Into the Mirror (loved that last one). I was hoping there was a complete collection DVD set out there somewhere on Amazon because there are a lot of 'Eye' sequels as well and I'm a raging completest that way, but I haven't had much luck on that front. Sad Are you a fan of the sequels as well, soullimbo?

Since we're on this discussion of horror movies and critical reception... one thing that I've noticed is that horror movies that do get good critical reception tend to avoid the dreaded "horror" genre title. Even the classics. Rather than acknowledging them as the horror movies (which I think they are), they are sometimes called "psychological thrillers", "action adventure", or "survival" films which I have come to know as possible "masked terms" for horror movies that managed to appeal to a wider audience.  I always consider horror movies being made to shock viewers and make them uncomfortable, which is how I differentiate them out from the genres they're disguised as.

It's a huge debate if The Silence of the Lambs is truly a horror movie. I do think psychological thriller does fit, but I also think it does have heavy roots in horror as well. A prisoner throws his cum in Jodie Foster's hair and we see Hannibal Lecter biting a prison guard in the face. Very gross scenes meant to repulse viewers. The finger nails on the pit wall were shown as well. If Psycho is considered a horror movie, then by my view, so is this one. It's definitely more well-made and sophisticated compared to most horrors, though. The intent wasn't solely to scare people (there is a greater story at play here), but I do think it had to be a goal to make the film effective. Same with Seven, which had that famous jump scare and was fairly disturbing in content. At the end of the day, both films still try to shock and scare the audiences, even if for a greater story than just simply doing it.

Jaws is another one that many non-horror fans would never admit is horror, yet the intent was made to make people afraid to swim in the ocean. It's often called an action or survival film. I still think the opening scene is one of the most terrifying scenes ever in ANY movie, and it took several watches over many years for it not to bother me. It made audiences uncomfortable, and it exaggerated shark's predatory instincts for the sake of scaring audiences. Quint getting chomped was very graphic and left nothing to the imagination, as well. I remember IMDb changed its genre to horror one time a couple years back, but it didn't take long for it to drop it. Same with The Silence of the Lambs.

I've come across people who prefer to think of Alien as a Sci-Fi thriller, as well, though structurally the movie plays out like a slasher-in-space. More sophisticated movie fans would probably be insulted by that description, but I really think it's the best way to describe the movie, especially given that the director said that The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was an influence in developing the plot and his goal was to make a horror movie, not a mere Sci-Fi. The thriller label does fit though. Ripley escaping the Nostromo against a countdown by the skin of her teeth is thriller at its finest, but the chestburster scene, for example, is pure horror as well as most of the deaths.

Inverting my argument a bit since horror seems a bit more acceptable in this day of The Walking Dead and American Horror Story - 10 Cloverfield Lane which is oftentimes classified as horror seemed a bit more thriller to me than horror UNTIL the final alien scene, which sort of dampened the movie to me just because it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the movie as well. That is one that was loved by critics and I stand behind it as well... John Goodman, John Gallagher, Jr., and even Mary Elizabeth Winstead (whom I wasn't much of a fan of UNTIL this movie) did awesome with that one. It didn't need that over the top alien craft scene at the end IMO... just seemed out of place to me.

I guess I'm rambling, but how do some of you define the difference between horror films and thriller films?
Back to top Go down
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 am

If Seven is not a horror movie, then the first Saw is not a horror movie either.... Laughing

I don't think I've seen Silence of the Lambs and if I did, it was a long time ago, but with those scenes in the movie, then it's definitely more horror than everything else.

All these movies should be classified in their respective sub genre of horror. Like Seven and SOTL psychological horror. Jaws, monster horror. Alien, sci-fi horror. I don't know if those already exist but I am just saying... Laughing

I agree with 10 Cloverfield Lane. For 3/4 of that movie, it was definitely a thriller.

To me, I always think thriller=more dialogue, more character development. Horror=more blood/gore and/or jump scares. That's my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
JohnLovesNotHenryForever

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Human Centipede isn’t winning any oscars but it’s amusing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 am

Give me rotten tomatoes horrors any day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 am

With regards to The Eye , the sequels aren't true sequels, each movie is independent and has virtually nothing to do with the previous installment, and of course, both are inferior...as "sequels" usually are, if I can use the term.

The points made regarding the classification of Horror movies are interesting, and I have to agree with most of them. But I also think that you have to take into account of when the movie came out. Most horror movies from the 30s and 40s are so tame that they would most probably appear on the Disney channel these days.

Which brings me to Psycho, truly a groundbreaking movie in the sphere of horror. The battles Hitchcock had to get scenes included etc are well documented. To think that up until that movie, cinema-going audiences had never seen a toilet being flushed on the big screen speaks for itself...as for the shower scene, I can only imagine how awesome that must have been when seeing in the cinema in 1960. Again, most people would find it pretty tame these days, but at the time.....and of course, that soundtrack !! Has anyone ever tried to watch famous scenes with the volume off? Like the shower scene from psycho, or famous Jaws scene? You realise how awesome these composers are....

Good examples were brought up above. Silence of the lambs, imo, is not a horror movie, but a psychological thriller. Alien is a horror/sci-fi , but Aliens would be a sci-fi/thriller. We all have an opinion on the matter I'm sure, and plenty will disagree, doesn't mean any of us is correct lol.

As for that final scene in 10 Cloverfield lane, I loved it lol...cause up until that point, you're rooting for her to escape, and you think she will....until....well, then of course you realise that she won't, but it isnt shown, it's placed in the audience's head that there's no way she's getting to....whatever place she heard on that radio SOS.

I agree that the original Saw was not a horror film either, but its sequels were.... Of course, it influenced a lot of films which would come after. Including one called The Collector, and its sequel The Collection, both of which I really liked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 am

I'm not sure I agree with Saw not being a horror film, though I also wouldn't disagree with people who would classify it as an extreme, gory crime drama/thriller either. It definitely invokes thriller elements, with people being stuck in traps trying to get free against a timer to escape death. I will say though that the entire first movie had more meaning than it's often given credit for. You mention Saw to the average movie goer and they cringe and think blood and gore. However, the first movie drives home the point quite clearly to cherish your life, but no one beyond the fanbase really understands that at all. We are supposed to be scared into valuing our lives, I think. The showcase of blood and guts in the reverse-bear trap sequence and seeing Dr. Gordon start to saw into his foot puts it pretty solidly into horror boundary, for me anyway.

This is where I agree with Henry's point that thrillers are more dialogue driven with an emphasis on character development and horrors being more bloody and gory. I think it's also important to consider the type of evil, as well. Are there vampires, monsters, ghosts, ect, or is it a human evil? If a serial killer is the antagonist, does he wear a scary mask or just coverage to keep his identity secret? It's hard to really universally box movies into different genres, because what is scary to some isn't scary to others. But Saw checks the boxes with its emphasis on gore and the unsettling pig mask Jigsaw wears, though he is more humanized in later installments.

Now that you mention The Collector and The Collection (both awesome movies), have you heard of or seen The Neighbor? Josh Stewart also stars in it in basically the same type of character he did in the Collector films, which is really the only real connection aside from the fact that the film also works as an inverted home-invasion film where we as the viewers are meant to relate to the invaders and not with the home owners. I didn't love it quite as much as Rotten Tomatoes did (67% fresh - came out around the time of the infinitely more popular Don't Breath). There's not really a masked killer or anything, yet I keep this one on my shelf next to my Collector movies as an "unofficial" sequel. I guess I'm a fan of Josh Stewart in general though so I tend to recommend this to people who bring these movies up because it came and went without much fanfare so I doubt many know it exists.

In my music appreciation class in college, my professor was playing the Jaws theme on the piano to make a point about how music sets mood in movies and she absolutely killed us when she said "You don't even have to see the damn shark to know that death is near." She was an older, classier lady too so hearing her make this point that way was one of the funniest memories of college. I've been meaning to rank my favorite horror movie themes, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:20 am

Dan should have his own YouTube horror channel when he would regularly have open discussions about the genre. We could all be guests at some point Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 am

Lol, I miss the IMDb messageboards a lot. I used to have these type of discussions on there all the time, and I had a few friends I only knew by username that I would private message back and forth with. I use MovieChat.org which is helpful to find older discussions, but it's not as active as the boards were. I do have a friend from Tengaged who also loves horror, though he's really into the older stuff (like Hammer horrors) and I'm into the newer stuff. It helps that he's like me and absolutely loves The Blair Witch Project and The Legend of Boggy Creek, though I haven't quite developed the love for any of their sequels quite like he has. We kind of meet in the middle by giving each other recommendations and then go on hour long discussions about what we thought after we've watched them. Smile
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 am

I wouldn't call myself an expert when it comes to horror movies, but I do like how the genre has evolved over the last 100 years. I can appreciate a modern horror as much as some of the classic silent movies like Vampyr or Nosferatu, movies that set the tone and inspired so many.
I remember the first time I saw Frankenstein, I was amazed, and loved it....I then saw most of the sequels and spin-offs etc, they used to have a horror double bill on a late friday night when I was 10-13, it was always the older black and white classic horror first followed by a more modern movie in colour. When I was 18 I read the novel Frankenstein, and I was shocked at how different it is to the movie...the Monster is well spoken and speaks several languages !! which is why I then went on to read Dracula, and found that this too, had never really received a proper cinematic transfer.
I've just gotten hold of The Neighbour, will report back once I've seen it......but my "movies to watch" list is ever growing lol, sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day !!
On a slightly different topic, I do have a penchant for time-travel movies, so if anyone has any recommendations, they will be gladly received.....My favourites being:
Back to the future trilogy
Timecrimes (los cronocrimenes)
The time machine (original)
About time
Midnight in Paris (not a woody allen fan, but this movies was very good)

I've just downloaded a Chinese time travel movie called Reset,hoping it's worth the watch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 am

Right now, The Deaths of Ian Stone and Happy Death Day are sticking out to me though I don't think those concern time as much as a main character jumping to a different planes of reality or experiencing a groundhog-day to die over and over again. I assume you've seen all of the The Butterfly Effect movies, but if not those would be the obvious choices. I'd be surprised if you haven't, though, but you not listing makes them worth mentioning.

Here's a few others from my reviewing of lists online...

Triangle (2009) with Melissa George and Michael Dorman
- This one is such a mind-twister and sticks with you. It's played straight as a slasher, but then things get super bizarre once it's down to the final girl. Some of the discussions about this movie on IMDb were so fun to read. I bet they're still located on MovieChat.

S. Darko (2009) with Daveigh Chase and Briana Evigan
- Surprisingly, it does tie in pretty much with the original in that it's about Donnie's younger sister (same actress even) but I just couldn't understand this movie at all. anguish I wasn't a huge fan of the original either and find it a bit overrated. I'm seeing the original on lists as well and it's popular enough, so maybe you might like it better. I honestly can't remember much about it to describe the time-travel aspect and don't care much to revisit it either, but yeah. I do remember the sequel having distinct time travel for me to list it.

Army of Darkness (1992) with Bruce Campbell
- I'm pretty sure you've never EVER heard of this one before. lol

Coherence (2013) with Emily Baldoni
- If you love the complexity of Triangle, you will more than likely enjoy this one as well. Another mind twister.

Looper (2012) with Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Emily Blunt
- A pretty solid sci-fi thriller that concerns time travel to a T and T.

Primer (2004)
- This movie is so fucking confusing. Laughing I'm probably just not smart enough for it. It's got a high rating, so it could make for a fun challenge to those with a higher I.Q.

The Caller (2011) with Rachelle Lefevre and Stephen Moyer
- Not so much time travel, but a movie across two different times. It feels ill-placed here on this list but it really is a pretty good horror movie about a psychotic hag from the past tormenting a woman in the present, altering her current reality whenever she pisses her off.

The Lake House (2006) with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves
- This movie messed me up for like a week! Yes, I do have my sentimental days and this is definitely a romance through and through! I am such a little bitch about sad movies which is why I try to avoid them, but I love Sandra so yeah. blush The time travel aspect is similar to the previous entry, but romantic and not scary. lol

I'll Follow You Down (2013) with Haley Joel Osment and Victor Garber
- A good one to watch on a sentimental night. Not a horror or even a thriller, but a good obscure find for lovers of time travel.

Grizzly Mountain (1997) with Dan Haggerty
- Kid's movie Laughing , but I can't think of a movie that takes me back to my childhood as much as this one and I know this one had time travel. It may be a reason why I have a hidden love for Westerns. I never even owned the VHS (always had to rent it), but I probably won't buy it because something tells me that watching this now would make me wonder what the hell was I thinking as a kid. pale Even watching the trailer is giving me that effect.

The Paranormal Activity franchise does a time jump between the fifth movie back to the first one, but it occurs after the franchise jumps the shark so it may not be worth your time to get to that point if you've never seen later entries in the franchise.

If I think of others I'll be sure to let you know!
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks very much for the suggestions Wink , quite funny that you mention Happy Death Day, as I mentioned it in an earlier post, calling it a cross between a teen slasher movie and groundhog day ! I really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed Triangle, though I admit I had to watch it again straight after it finished lol.
The first Butterfly Effect movie was very good, but once again, the sequels were a let down. Eric Stoltz was just too believable and creepy !!
Primer was cool too, I'd actually totally forgotten about that one lol, and of course I've seen Army of Darkness. Looper was a bit of let-down, with Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis, it's no surprise.

As you seem to be a fan of The Lake House, I assume you're aware that it's a remake of a Korean Movie called Il Mare, which would be in my top 10 romance movies, it's so good, and in my opinion, superior to the remake in every way.

Does your hidden love for westerns include the infamous Man With No Name trilogy? The good the bad and the ugly is a masterpiece. And if you're into Westerns with a slight touch of comedy, you might want to check out My Name Is Nobody (it's on youtube) , which was actually directed by Leone, if the rumours are to be believed.

I'd never even heard about S.Darko !!! Will definitely look into it. Donnie Darko is another film which required several viewings, and even then the ambiguity of it all leaves the whole thing up in the air.

I remember having a bit of a debate on IMDB on the Groundhog Day forum....I'm basically of the opinion that the film-makers totally ripped off the Ken Grimwood novel Replay , which came out a few years before the movie was made.....but the film-makers claimed they were influenced by a short-story written in the 19th century which no-one had ever heard about lol, with all the bullshit that comes out of hollywood these days, I'm disinclined to believe them lol. But anyway, if you're into reading, I can't recommend this book enough, one of the few novels I've read more than once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

Movies I like that have time travel elements (minus those already mentioned, BTTF trilogy obviously being the best):

Bill and Ted 1 & 2 [1989, 1991]
Frequency [2000]
Click [2006]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I downloaded Frequency a few weeks ago...yet another one on my "to watch" list lol

I also forgot to mention, the best time-travel movie obviously aimed at kids is Flight of the navigator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Quote :
Does your hidden love for westerns include the infamous Man With No Name trilogy? The good the bad and the ugly is a masterpiece. And if you're into Westerns with a slight touch of comedy, you might want to check out My Name Is Nobody (it's on youtube) , which was actually directed by Leone, if the rumours are to be believed.

I bought the blu-ray trilogy set for dirt cheap at the dollar store (along with Hang 'Em High which is the one I'm most excited for), so I'm waiting for summer to put them on. I've seen a number of recent ones, but I admit my expertise on the older ones with Clint Eastwood is little to none though my dad had them on a lot when I was kid. I'm pretty excited to check them out, but I want to see them when its summery and hot out. I always see the titles at a reasonable price at Wal-Mart though.

Some of my favorites from later years include: Bone Tomahawk, Brimestone, The Burrowers, Diablo, From Dusk Til Dawn 3, Dead Birds, The Hateful Eight, and Left for Dead. Silent Tongue and Ravenous were both pretty good. The entire Tremors franchise is glittered with Western vibes as well. I absolutely LOVE Westworld and Ghost Town, as well.

There's a few others I want to check out, but I'll wait until they come up on my Netflix DVD queue.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Laughing Flight of the Navigator! A childhood favourite of mine which I forgot about for about 20 years. I saw it on tv last summer and was thrilled lol. Frequency is a solid little movie, nothing spectacular but keeps you entertained.

From Dusk til Dawn 3 is decent? I've seen the first two but never the third. I remember reading about it, I think it's set in the past, long before the original Titty twister? Lol

Last edited by EnnJaySee on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 pm

I missed that as a kid, but I was a 90s kid so it wouldn't have been on VHS shelves at the gas stations in town.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 pm

You'll notice with Hang 'em high that they tried to replicate Leone's style , stylised violence and revenge but failed miserably, as it looked too "clean", whereas Leone's movies were filled with characters that looked straight out of Jim Henson's workshop.

Leone's films are as much about "visuals" than anything else, if you consider the fact that in The good the bad and the ugly there is no dialogue until at least 10 minutes into the film, and yet in those 10 minutes you've already learned a great deal about 2 of the titular characters. In a movie that's close to 3 hours long, its star Eastwood has no more than a handful of lines (this was Eastwood's doing of course, as he persuaded Leone to cut out a lot of his lines, as he felt his character would benefit from it, and of course he was right). For me, the movie stands alone in the Genre, it has no equals. From Leone's cinematography to Ennio Morrecone's famous soundtrack, it is a movie I have seen countless times, and I will no doubt watch it countless more times in the future.

Flight of the navigator also features a very young Sarah Jessica Parker with a wonderful 80s hairstyle!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one that...   

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one that...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum for the IMDb Games community :: Other :: Horror-
Jump to: