Forum for the IMDb Games community

Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Recently Watched Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Cindyfan wrote:
WCW wrote:
Saw love Simon with my boyfriend and it was really sweet I could relate with a lot in the movie the way things were done

I def teared up at certain parts, I think this movie will change a lot of things in Hollywood because I believe this is the first movie backed by a major movie studio about gay Romance

Wasn't Brokeback mountain first for that?
focus features is not a major studio
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm

cooltu101 wrote:
modica wrote:
I went to see Love Simon tonight. Cute movie that reminded me of John Hughes.
yes it does i loved that movie so much isnt nick robinson a cutie?
Yes, Nick Robinson is really cute. He played a good role. I thought it was funny how there were lots of couples watching the movie. I guess things are changing. I only wish that more people saw Call Me By Your Name, because it is probably the best gay themed movie I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnLovesNotHenryForever

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm

modica are you gay? Cuz if so, hayyy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Bette Davis fans are always gay, Johnny. <3

And yes hayyyy Modica <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Hayyyy, Modica is family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Family <3 <3 <3 always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 am

soco-81 wrote:
Family <3 <3 <3 always.
Sweet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnLovesNotHenryForever

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

I randomly love modica now xo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Ladybird
8/10

This was cute and I appreciated that it didn't go there with the rampant stereotypes in movies these days. It's a simple, funny movie that doesn't use a lot of drama or seriousness to prove its point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Mother! (2/10)
I didn't think a movie could be pretentious, patronising and insulting at the same time, but this piece of garbage managed it.
First of all, if someone wants to make a movie about the fact that we're screwing with Mother Nature (yes, this is the mother in the title), then fine....but to mix it with religious allegories is never gonna work. Lawrence plays the titular character, while Bardem looks like he'd rather be anywhere else (he's meant to be God). Their peaceful existence is disrupted by a stranger (who turns out to be Adam), during the night God takes one of Adam's ribs and lo and behold, the following day Pfeiffer arrives as the stranger's wife i.e Eve, then their sons turn up, you can guess what happens, yes, Cain kills Abel (or is it the other way around), I can't remember and couldn't give a shit anyway. And it goes on from there, all the time implying that the house they live in is Earth, and all its guests are ruining it, by the last act, humanity is a shambles, the newborn baby (I assume is meant to be Jesus), is killed while crowd surfing the human mob (very disturbing scene)....
All in all, movie making at its worse. I think the director needs to understand that there's a very fine line between art and being a pretentious little turd-burglar, I'm sure by now you can guess which side I'm edging towards in my opinion of him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:43 pm

soullimbo wrote:
Mother! (2/10)
  I didn't think a movie could be pretentious, patronising and insulting at the same time, but this piece of garbage managed it.
  First of all, if someone wants to make a movie about the fact that we're screwing with Mother Nature (yes, this is the mother in the title), then fine....but to mix it with religious allegories is never gonna work. Lawrence plays the titular character, while Bardem looks like he'd rather be anywhere else (he's meant to be God). Their peaceful existence is disrupted by a stranger (who turns out to be Adam), during the night God takes one of Adam's ribs and lo and behold, the following day Pfeiffer arrives as the stranger's wife i.e Eve, then their sons turn up, you can guess what happens, yes, Cain kills Abel (or is it the other way around), I can't remember and couldn't give a shit anyway. And it goes on from there, all the time implying that the house they live in is Earth, and all its guests are ruining it, by the last act, humanity is a shambles, the newborn baby (I assume is meant to be Jesus), is killed while crowd surfing the human mob (very disturbing scene)....
 All in all, movie making at its worse. I think the director needs to understand that there's a very fine  line between art and being a pretentious little turd-burglar, I'm sure by now you can guess which side I'm edging towards in my opinion of him.
I thought Mother! was great. Different strokes, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Laughing such a spot-on review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:32 pm

David, hang in there! I haven't seen Mother! yet, but I hope I love it like you do so you have a friend in here. It's too cute watching you trying to defend it after everyone stomps all over it. I really like Darren Aronofsky's work (like Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan), so it's been on my list of movies to watch for a while now. Everything Pete said about it is what I thought it was gonna be like anyways. Watch me hate it too Laughing

Last edited by Shred on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:52 am

Shred wrote:
David, hang in there! I haven't seen Mother! yet, but I hope I love it like you do so you have a friend in here. It's too cute watching you trying to defend it after everyone stomps all over it. I really like Darren Aronofsky's work (like Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan), so it's been on my list of movies to watch for a while now. Everything Pete said about it is what I thought it was gonna be like anyways. Watch me hate too Laughing
Yeah well, I am usually at odds with others here when it comes to music, movies and television. I expect it, but I won't back down. I enjoyed the movie because anytime a movie gives me an adrenaline rush, the way this movie did, then I must defend it. Who knows, 50 years from now it might be considered a classic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Lol I'm sure I have a ton of movies that I loved but people think I'm crazy for liking them. It would be boring if all of us agreed.

Despite my critique, I enjoyed mother!, but only to an extent. After fully digesting the film and sorting out my thoughts, I've decided that it was a promising movie railroaded by a director who cared more about making a statement than telling a compelling story and that's where he lost me personally. Good first half, dismal second half. Jennifer Lawrence and the all-too-brief performance by Michelle Pfieffer really were the only saving graces here. From the way it sounds, this movie is all he really ever talked about during his romance with Jennifer Lawrence so maybe he got a bit too carried away and allowed himself to veer off the path a bit too much.

Perhaps the Razzie nom wasn't such a bad thing for him to experience to let him know that compelling stories need to come first and then politics/making a statement a second. Otherwise, the public doesn't take too well to it. As much as I don't care for the Razzies, at least something exists to keep directors in check a bit. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I don't think Aronofsky is going to change his vision just because of a Razzie. I still think is ridiculous to put that movie in the same category as the other nominated movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:47 pm

The fact that we all have different tastes is what makes these boards interesting. I personally think the Razzie was well deserved, Aronofsky is suffering from delusions of grandeur within the cinematic industry if that movie is anything to go by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Evidently some reviewers have called the film the worst of the century. Definitely overstating it, but people have said that so the Razzies aren’t alone in their distaste for the movie. My point wasn’t strictly confined to The Razzies in the first place, but rather movie goers in general. Directors can’t just do whatever they want whenever they want, regardless of the consequences. Especially mainstream directors. They need to make movies people will see. The consequence of a movie not being seen is a loss of money. A director’s movie may not be good critically, but it better succeed commercially if nothing else. mother! bombed so bad that it’s apparently one of the worst of 2017. So, yeah, he can choose not to change his vision, but his stuff probably won’t be wide released in theaters either if they’re going to be like mother! Opinions are opinions, but the numbers don’t lie. Regardless of how ridiculous the Razzies are.
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:02 pm

I really don't care about numbers. It's a Wonderful Life bombed at the box office back in the 40's, but now it is a classic. Mother! may possibly be seen differently in years to come and what was misunderstood may become revered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 pm

*may, being your key word.
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
*may, being your key word.
So true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 pm

You guys are gonna make me use my one free movie rental from Google Play to rent this damn movie Laughing I really wanna watch it now. Or if anyone wants to hook me up with one of those l i n k s...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 pm

kyogre123 wrote:
You guys are gonna make me use my one free movie rental from Google Play to rent this damn movie Laughing I really wanna watch it now. Or if anyone wants to hook me up with one of those l i n k s...
Well seeing I am the only one defending this movie, you probably should use your free movie on something you really want to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 pm

That links word, Henry Laughing I feel like it's got a black light shining on it.

I didn't really hate mother! (Dan <3 always so correct with spellings and stuff) or think it was Razzie-worthy Laughing I guess I can get behind that though cause Aronofsky needs a wake up call after that I mean what a mess when I find out what he was trying to say with all of it. It was only for directing though right?

The acting was actually good. Can't go wrong with that group though. They couldn't get razzies if they tried. Like I said there were certain things I appreciated about it. I know I've already said this but I'm mega possessive of my personal space, especially my house. So to see some random stranger weirdo coming in, sitting on my counters and dissing my choice in underwear (where does this fit in with the rest of Mother Earth does Mother Earth have old panties??), that's totally creepy to me. When J Law was like "get your feet OFF my coffee table", I could totally relate and those elements made the movie genuinely creepy at times. But, then, yeah Laughing IDK where it went. Well I know where it went, but I didn't really care by that point. Sorry David <3 we still have the love of all the other movies we have in common and Twin Peaks! I don't mean to keep the momentum going but I wanted to comment about it some more Laughing<3

Pete just had such a scathing, honestly spot-on read for its intentions Laughing such a goddess please review more movies. Your reads for Jesse always made me laugh my ass off too. The movie really was bloated af. You could tell there was an ego imposing on every idea in it. Aronofsky <3 though. He's a gem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:19 pm

I think the whole "panties" issue was to do with temptation, at least that was my interpretation. If you recall, when Adam and Eve (harris and pfeiffer) are playing a game of "hide the sausage", a minute later Eve comes to the door, and her bra is laced with flowers, the same way that adam and Eve covered up themselves once they had been tempted, covering up their nudity with leaves etc. The "special crystal" in god's room I imagine was meant to be the apple in the garden of Eden.
Throughout the movie, Mother! never has shoes on, she is always in the same plain colour scheme, very natural.
Also, I'm pretty sure that when those teenagers burst the pipes and the house empties cause water pours in, that was supposed to be the great flood, noah's ark etc
Several of the people who come into the house also say to her "who are you?" , signifying that we are simply ignorant of mother nature and all she has done for us blah blah blah
Kristen Wiig's character, I think may been "modern media" and the way it has taken over our world. That last segment was overloaded with allegories, to the point where you're passed caring cause it's such a convoluted mess, or maybe that was the director's aim lol

Jesse lmao, now there's one guy I don't miss! And I know I should have known better than to get involved in conversation with him, I just couldn't help it cause he was such an oxygen thief.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   

Back to top Go down

Recently Watched Thread
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next