Share | 

Recently Watched Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 pm

American Animals
I went into this knowing only that it was based on a true story. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Without giving too much away, the basic premise is that 4 college guys decide to break into a library (yes, you read it correctly, a library), and steal some extremely valuable books. Not very original as a concept, I admit, but the execution in filming was. It's true that I did find the whole concept slightly off-putting at first, but by the end of the movie, the whole process made sense. You see, while it is actors who play the part of the 4 college kids...slotted into the continuity of it all are interviews with the real-life guys who pulled off this heist. So what you're confronted with is a mix of cinema and documentary. But the genius of it all is that the interviews which are so cleverly intertwined with the storyline add the kind of info which would be out of place if it were revealed within the movie (what they were thinking, how they were feeling in reality etc...). The fact us that these interviews are basically a clever alternative to voice-overs, and add a certain realism on top of the fact that the viewer is aware that it is based on actual events.
The acting is top notch (one of the kids would be a real contender for a young Malcolm McDowell i they ever did a biographical movie of him), and the pace of the movie is just right. No CGI, no special effects, no million dollar set-pieces, no superficial bimbos hogging the screen...good honest storytelling, the way cinema used to be. (8/10)

The house with the clock in its walls
I walked out after 30 mins. Sick and tired of these film-makers who insist on making the finished product so dark that the viewer can hardly see what the fuck is on the screen. Is it really how they want the film to be, or simply to hide how shit their film really is? Perhaps Eli Roth should stick to Horror. (1/10)

Crazy Rich Asians
Don't really know where to start with this one. Yes, it's a rom/com so in theory the best way to start is with the couple....So, he's the Heir to a MEGA RICH coorporation in Singapore. She's a professor of economics. They live in NY and have been dating for a year. He is to to be the best man at on of his life-long friends' wedding, so he invites her along. So this is where it all kicks in, he has never told her that his family has enough money to buy New York City, and that he is the number 1 bachelor in Singapore. Add to this the fact that his family are fanatically traditional etc etc. This is all fine, but the problem is that once they get to singapore, we are introduced to a plethora of characters without real explanation , or certainly limited, which makes it somewhat confusing.
Maybe that was the intention from the film-makers, let's confuse the hell out of the audience to emphasize the fact that these people are mega rich and can do whatever they want blah blah blah and their lifestyle is something we'll never comprehend.Some of the set pieces are so OTT with regards to set design and costumes. But thats just shit. Cause by the end of the movie, more than half of the characters turned out to be surplus to requirements and did NOTHING to enhance the story. If they hadn't been there, then it would not have damaged the movie in any way...on the contrary, it would have made it better and reduced the somewhat overlong running time of 2+ hours. I'd also like to add that, as I was watching this, I got the feeling that the whole project was financed by the Singapore Tourist Board. (5/10)

The Darkest Minds
I'm still not sure what possessed me to go and watch this. Even as a teenager (yes, this movie's target audience is 13-17) I would have thought this was crap. (2/10)

Christopher Robin
I actually enjoyed this. I liked the fact that Pooh and Friends were "dull" in colour, unlike their original appearance, which was a good move as too colourful would have put them out of place with the "time" the movie was set in (50s England). It actually reminded me of Hook, or certainly the basic premise (boy grows up and finds childhood fantasies once more to help with his own family). (7/10)

Tag
5 childhood friends played "tag". When they grow up, they decide to keep the game going, so as to never lose touch with one another. So every year, for the month of May, the game starts (and continues anywhere in the country). An interesting premise. The catch is that one of them has never been tagged....because he is that good, and ahead of the rest in every way. I have to admit that I was entertained by it. True, some of the ideas behind it are ludicrous, some of the scenes are far-fetched. Some of the way the characters interact is beyond stupid and their lack of basic intelligence to "tag" the guy is frightening. However, the film makes a valid point about friendship etc. (6.5/10)

Now is good
Tessa (Dakota Fanning with a surprisingly good English accent) is a teenage girl dying of leukemia. Before she dies, there are a few things she has to do....top of the list being to lose her virginity.
I loved this movie. Found it very moving and extremely realistic. The acting is superb, especially from Miss Fanning. The feel of it is brilliant. You think you are watching a real family with real friends, which is probably why I was so moved by it. Cancer isn't glorified or even gorified, it isn't sugar-coated but at the same time not overly pitiful or sentimental.
Special mention to the actors who play her parents in the movie. Paddy Considine and Olivia Williams, who were both outstanding. Top movie from 2012. (9.5/10)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Venom

Firstly, I'm starting to get more than a bit pissed off with cinemas and their basic lack of good "time-keeping". They stated that the movie's start time was 19:10 , the movie actually started at 19:37. WTF !!! 27 mins of adverts and trailers!! Utter bullshit! (I have actually emailed them to voice my disapproval). This put me in a bad mood before the movie even started. Yes, I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
As for the movie, on the whole, I liked it. Which is surprising cause I was far from impressed with the premise, the characterisation and build-up. Cliched characters and situations aplenty almost had me walking out. However, slowly but surely, the movie managed to grab me, and I temporarily forgot about the loopholes and lack of imaginative plots, or even the fact that no explanation was given as to how they managed to get this "organism" in the first place, which is what splices itself into human beings and transforms them into "superheros". Well, actually, not everyone, as most humans do not make good hosts for this "thing", though again no explanation is given as to why that is. I could also forgive the "bad guy" who is yet another character with a "god complex". I realise that it's becoming more and more difficult to come up with original ideas and characters, but come on!!
As for Venom (the character), he was brilliant. The whole concept of hearing the voice in his head etc was quite good. My only complaint with it is that some of the action sequences were so fast and quite dark, that it was difficult to follow exactly what was going on....more of a blur really, which is a shame, cause when the scene is well lit and at a proper pace, the effects are very good and you can appreciate the CGI.
The storyline is very thin....cigarette paper would look positively chunky in comparison. Not enough is explained, or certainly, more could have been made of certain details. Ultimately, what could have been an excellent movie turned out just...good. Coulda woulda shoulda is probably whats going through the film-makers brains right now....and if it isn't, then it certainly should be. (6.5/10)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Everyone go see a star is born it is fantstic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:51 am

cooltu101 wrote:

I saw the trailer.....I'd rather watch Donald Trump fuck a maggot-infested dead donkey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 am

[quote="soullimbo"]
cooltu101 wrote:

I saw the trailer.....I'd rather watch Donald Trump fuck a maggot-infested dead donkey.[/quote well unlike you i give films a chance regardless of genre you said you stopped watching a brilliant film like lala land after five minutes

Last edited by cooltu101 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:26 am

A-Supreme wrote:
The Predator and Venom are the top things I wanna see right now. Night School could be some fun for later on in the month.
all three of those sucked tbh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 am

Time will tell. Friends and I are going to see Night School next week. I'd rather watch these to A Star is Born, though. That one looks like pure Oscar bait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:40 am

A-Supreme wrote:
Time will tell. Friends and I are going to see Night School next week. I'd rather watch these to A Star is Born, though. That one looks like pure Oscar bait.
I mean they all were watchable i do like tiffany haddish a lot  though you would probably like a simple favor it was very good and it had a lot of great twists i think you would like it if you like horror films.

I do not find anything wrong with films looking to get awards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:26 pm

A big thing for me is that these films tend to be so boring and long. Maybe they'd work well as something to watch in school as opposed to lecture (Schindler's List was not entertaining but we did kill off 3hrs of classtime to watch it one year), but I'd never sit down to watch something line Lincoln, A King's Speech, ect. in my spare time.
Back to top Go down
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
A big thing for me is that these films tend to be so boring and long. Maybe they'd work well as something to watch in school as opposed to lecture (Schindler's List was not entertaining but we did kill off 3hrs of classtime to watch it one year), but I'd never sit down to watch something line Lincoln, A King's Speech, ect. in my spare time.
all three of those films a great especially schindlers list and The Kings Speech
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Different tastes.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:56 pm

I just watched Outbreak, a movie I'd been meaning to watch for years Laughing it was really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 pm

The one starring Dustin Hoffman, about a monkey? If so, I need to rewatch it. It's been several years. lol
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 pm

That's the one. The monkey is the host for the disease. Wasn't there one with a similar story with Matt Damon, Contagion? Might check it out if it's worth watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 pm

I didn't like Contagion at all, but Outbreak was alright from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 am

Night School wasn't iconic or anything, but I did like the characters. Tiffany Hadish was great, even if her role was basically identical to the one in Girls Trip (loved that movie btw). Mary Lynn Rajskub twerking might have been the best thing I've ever seen. The movie won't change your life or worldview and a lot of the learning disability stuff seemed a bit glossed over in service for the ending, but like many comedies of late it exaggerated that humans are inherently offbeat (kind of a good thing) and was good for a few laughs. I gave it a 7/10.
Back to top Go down
RTF

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Love Outbreak!

General with all due respect; fuck you! Sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 am

A Star Is Born is GREAT. Problematic as hell though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 am

You silly, sentimental son of a bitch. Nobody puts me under arrest. Nobody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 am

WolfNVX4444 wrote:
A Star Is Born is GREAT. Problematic as hell though
Heart Heart Heart

So happy wolf nat liked it Heart Heart Heart went to see goosebumps 2 first man and the old man and the gun with my amc alist account i enjoyed all of them would give goosebumps 2 a six first man a 7.5 and the old man and the gun a nine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:53 am

EnnJaySee wrote:
You silly, sentimental son of a bitch. Nobody puts me under arrest. Nobody.
you going to jail neil?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 am

Yes, I will miss you all dearly! FAREWELL MY FRIENDS!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:51 am

A Star is Born was very good, but I liked it for probably different reasons. I didn't find the lead characters relationship that compelling, but what made the movie good was that both characters and their relationship seemed hollow, like Hollywood. I didn't care for the pop aspect of the music and the final song wasn't very emotional for me, but it all worked due to the fact that these two people really didn't know what it was like to be a normal, functional human being. I am sure others saw it differently, but I think I nailed the true intent of this movie, because it has been on my mind for days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:20 pm

modica wrote:
A Star is Born was very good, but I liked it for probably different reasons. I didn't find the lead characters relationship that compelling, but what made the movie good was that both characters and their relationship seemed hollow, like Hollywood. I didn't care for the pop aspect of the music and the final song wasn't very emotional for me, but it all worked due to the fact that these two people really didn't know what it was like to be a normal, functional human being. I am sure others saw it differently, but I think I nailed the true intent of this movie, because it has been on my mind for days.
why didnt you like the pop aspect? It shows she became a pop star
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Gonna force myself to watch this movie Monday or Tuesday, cant believe as a Gaga stan i've not seen it yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   

Back to top Go down

Recently Watched Thread
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next