Forum for the IMDb Games community

Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Recently Watched Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm

It was just such a strange mix of songs. As individual songs I would probably score them a 7 or 8 in idol games, but the overall soundtrack *together* gets a 6 from me Laughing

Difference of opinion and all that. But the movie was great! I liked the movie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am

I think the director was focusing on how the songs fit each scene. Tarantino and David Lynch have done the same thing with music. They pick songs that make scenes more interesting. I think the song choices were perfect. I am into many different genres of music so it didn't matter that the songs were a "strange mix". I think I would have been upset if the director chose all metal or all Beyonce, because i would have gotten tired of it quickly. Different scenes had different tones in this movie, so I think that the choice of songs needed to reflect that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

mother!: Thanks Pete for the share! I finally had enough strength to watch this. Like, I had to be in the right mindset to watch it. Anyway I didn't think it was that bad??? At least the first half up until the wake scene was a pretty decent movie, I legit felt sorry for Jlaw and HATED her husband and the old couple. But I loved Michelle Pfeiffer, she was so good. They lost me at the point when all the people showed up looking for autographs and then the cops in riot gear and the guy marking people's foreheads and random lulzy Kristen Wiig appearance (I've read the bible but who was she supposed to represent?? I was so confused and lost by this point lol) and all the weird shit that happened in the last 30-40 minutes. Too much. Should have toned it down a little.  Seems like the baby scene is the most messed up according to people, but I was also uncomfortable during the scene before that, when Javier Bardem is just sitting there staring at her, that guy can definitely pull the creepy menacing look. Laughing Anyway, didn't think it was a masterpiece, and I've definitely seen worse movies. If anyone wants to FIGHT ME I am here all day. Now I want a spiked lemonade. 7/10
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm not too sure about Kristen Wiig's character, at first I thought maybe she represented modern media and the way it infiltrates itself into anyone's life whether they like it or not.

In Biblical terms, perhaps false prophets? The way she handles God in the house etc but doesn't really have his best interest at heart? Just guessing.

Totally agree about Pfeiffer though, that girl's still go it <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 pm

As terrible as some people think Mother! is, we are still talking about it. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 pm

I think it's just human nature to be more vocal about something you find repulsive than something you adore. This repugnant piece of celluloid took 2 hours of my life which I shall never get back, I'm exercising my right to denounce it for the steaming turd of a movie that it is Wink

Though I repeat, not sure how old Pfeiffer is, but wow!! She's still got it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Well I needed to see it because it got rave reviews from you and the opposite from Pete so I was like, I HAVE to see this! Laughing

In The Mood for Love: Was in the mood for something lite and short. Never seen this before but heard about it earlier today so I came home straight to watch it lol. Cute, good soundtrack, sweet story. Bittersweet ending, but I guess it was the right way for it to end. I liked it. 9/10
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 pm

kyogre123 wrote:
Well I needed to see it because it got rave reviews from you and the opposite from Pete so I was like, I HAVE to see this! Laughing

In The Mood for Love:  Was in the mood for something lite and short. Never seen this before but heard about it earlier today so I came home straight to watch it lol. Cute, good soundtrack, sweet story. Bittersweet ending, but I guess it was the right way for it to end. I liked it. 9/10
Is that the Kar-Wai Wong movie or it it something else? If it is the first one; it was worth watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes he's the director. Definitely worth watching!
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

kyogre123 wrote:
Yes he's the director. Definitely worth watching!
Oh good, I am glad you liked it. It shows you that I am into more romantic, sentimental and beautiful films; not just movies like Mother! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat May 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Annihilation: I think I am an Alex Garland fan now? I loved Ex Machina and this movie was just as good. That scene at the end with the shiny person looking thing was so fcking creepy. And the bear... THE SCREAMING BEAR!!!!! I wasn't really expecting this movie to be so messed up and scary, but was not disappointed. 9/10
Back to top Go down
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat May 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Annihilation Is on Netflicks in the UK, will give it a watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WCW

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat May 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Anyone saw Infinity War?

I thought it was good, the ending on first watch didnt have much of an emotional impact

Spoiler:

But on second viewing i see the impact of it, i think it hits harder if you are a casual fan vs a hardcore comics fan as i am.

the action scenes were great though, between thor 3 and this i am officially a thor fan

but this movie made me HATE star lord, even though he is my HUSBAND for LYFE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat May 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Seen Wars, loved it but like you, I didn’t get too sad but

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Game Night
First of all, this film is never gonna win any awards. But what it did do,was entertain me for 90 minutes. Sure, some of the scenes and set pieces felt contrived, there were even moments when I instantly thought that a particular scene would have been funnier if they'd just made a slight alteration to dialogue or reaction, but on the whole it was quite funny. I do wish Michael C Hall's character had been more than a virtual cameo. (7/10)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 pm

soullimbo wrote:
Game Night
First of all, this film is never gonna win any awards. But what it did do,was entertain me for 90 minutes. Sure, some of the scenes and set pieces felt contrived, there were even moments when I instantly thought that a particular scene would have been funnier if they'd just made a slight alteration to dialogue or reaction, but on the whole it was quite funny. I do wish Michael C Hall's character had been more than a virtual cameo. (7/10)
Game Night got a 5/10 from me. Some of it was funny, but some of it just fell flat. I am not sure if it was that some of the actors weren't that good or that the writing of some scenes was weak. The scene where Bateman gets shot was not at all funny. They played it like it should have been funny, but there is nothing funny about getting shot and having a bullet go right through your arm. The cop neighbor was the best thing about the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue May 08, 2018 8:09 pm

modica wrote:
soullimbo wrote:
Game Night
Game Night got a 5/10 from me. Some of it was funny, but some of it just fell flat. I am not sure if it was that some of the actors weren't that good or that the writing of some scenes was weak. The scene where Bateman gets shot was not at all funny. They played it like it should have been funny, but there is nothing funny about getting shot and having a bullet go right through your arm. The cop neighbor was the best thing about the movie.

I think it's a fine line with regards to comedy and "getting shot". For example, in Pulp Fiction, when Travolta says "Oh man I shot Marvin in the face", then tries to justify it by claiming that Jackson had driven over a bump in the road was hilarious lol.

I think in game night, the comedy aspect in that scene was not so much that she shot him, but that they then spend ages trying to get the bullet out, when in fact it had gone straight through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 pm

soullimbo wrote:
modica wrote:
soullimbo wrote:
Game Night

I think it's a fine line with regards to comedy and "getting shot". For example, in Pulp Fiction, when Travolta says "Oh man I  shot Marvin in the face", then tries to justify it by claiming that Jackson had driven over a bump in the road was hilarious lol.

I think in game night, the comedy aspect in that scene was not so much that she shot him, but  that they then spend ages trying to get the bullet out, when in fact it had gone straight through.
You are correct about the fine line that is drawn between comedy and a cringe factor. Pulp Fiction walked that line perfectly in several scenes while Game Night tried to mix comedy with something very unpleasant and failed. It wasn't a horrible movie, but I enjoyed the recent movie(in a similar vein)Blockers much more. It was lol funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:48 pm

The Bacchus Lady
South Korean movie basically highlighting the problem of elderly prostitution in South Korea, where old ladies provide sexual services to mainly older men, while all the time pretending to sell Bacchus (a famous energy drink). It turns out that public parks all over Seoul are littered with these women, who basically try to make ends meet by selling themselves, as Korean society goes through the changes. Whereas families would previously look after their own (elders), this trend is shifting as modernisation kicks in and the old are left to fend for themselves with a total lack of support from the state.
The movie is not graphic, certain things are implied, but the focus is mainly on our leading lady (So-Young) as she struggles through life. She meets previous regulars whose lives have gone downhill, as she comes to the realisation that her "golden age" will be anything but golden. The actress is superb, by the halfway point I felt like I was watching a documentary rather than a movie and this woman really is a prostitute. Intertwined within this story are sub-plots involving a boy whose mum is arrested so So-Young takes him in and juggles her "career" with trying to look after him. We meet her landlady who used to be a man, and one of the other tenants who has lost one of his legs. Altogether, a real odd-ball mix of society.
It may not be something I will watch again, but it's certainly one that will stay with me for a long time. (8/10)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am

Got the same reaction as David watching Game Night. But to me the added issue is that as an AD fan, Jason Bateman will always be Michael Bluth to me Laughing

The movie was alright. Had some funny scenes, but also felt like some others felt so strange. Decent movie to watch once. 6/10
Back to top Go down
Fiend1933

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 am

Ready Player One and Rampage

LOVED THEM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Hereditary: what a fcking tease of a movie. Loved Toni Colette in this, and the Oscar talk for her is definitely well earned. But lord did this movie left me pissed off once the credits started rolling. Can't remember the last time a movie did that. Did have some scary scenes tho. 5/10
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm

I gave Hereditary a perfect score. it was very unsettling. The acting was superior also. I never really knew where the movie was taking me, but watching it a second time I noticed things that are very important to the story that I missed watching it the first time. I really loved it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Hereditary wasn't perfect, but held tightly enough to classic horror tropes (as opposed to modern jump-scare nonsense) and maintained a tenseness and oddity to it that kept me entertained. I haven't seen a movie that odd coupled with star performances in a long time, so that made me happy. Now, back to re-watching David Lynch films!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm

tom_delonge_ava wrote:
Hereditary wasn't perfect, but held tightly enough to classic horror tropes (as opposed to modern jump-scare nonsense) and maintained a tenseness and oddity to it that kept me entertained. I haven't seen a movie that odd coupled with star performances in a long time, so that made me happy. Now, back to re-watching David Lynch films!
What Lynch films are you watching? I am a big fan of his.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   

Back to top Go down

Recently Watched Thread
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next