HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Recently Watched Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm glad you went there with him though lol.

Okay that panties explanation makes sense for that then. Yes, so very convoluted and a little offensive now not cause it's dealing with religious allegories but to my intelligence like HOW was I even supposed to figure out all of this in one sitting? I might have if someone was like "hey look for religious allegories". How pretentious. Laughing Bye, mother!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 am

Nostalgic Reviews...

Liar Liar (1997):

I recently upgraded from my VHS copy to a cheapie secondhand DVD (the best), so I figured I'd share my thoughts about this movie. I saw this way back when it was first released, but it didn't make much of an impression on me due to my young age though I did remember the "Here's your raise!" part. Especially so given that I noticed that part was missing when I caught this movie on cable a couple years later, where they hilariously censored "I humped her brains out!" to "I kissed her brains out". Yes, I remember really really odd things about this movie, some not even having to do with the movie itself but the fact that they tried making a raunchy movie like this an after-school cable special. Laughing It was not long after that I got my own VHS copy so I didn't have to deal with botched censorship, but now that I put a few years on and finally upgraded to DVD, I rewatched it and still find it as hilarious now as I did then. The movie holds up very well, all things considered. Fletcher not being able to lie in court to defend his client to him saying the COMPLETELY WRONG THING to his ex-wife/superiors, it's all really good, a lot borderline offensive but it's not like either sex is painted as a prize here so just lighten up and enjoy the movie. Jim Carey's performance was so outrageous that this is easily my favorite movie of his by far. The pen is blue... the pen is blue... THE GOD-DAMN PEN IS BLUE!  scared  Jennifer Tilly was also a highlight. The only thing was, this movie seemed so much longer when I was younger. I was shocked to find out that this one wasn't even 90 minutes. With the court drama and Fletcher's personal family issues needing resolving, it always seemed a bit longer but I guess not. It's all good though.... a well-deserved 9/10 from me and one of my favorites growing up.

Krista Allen and her magnificent rack being the topic of one of its most hilarious scenes <3

Godzilla (1998):

Have you ever had a movie that you LOVED growing up, but when you've grown up and the Internet became a thing, you found out that it just wasn't *cool* to like this movie? Well, 1998's incarnation of Godzilla was that movie for me. I had the VHS for the longest time, but (similar to Liar Liar) I stumbled across a cheap DVD copy and upgraded for the first time ever. I guess this was my guilty pleasure before I even knew what a guilty pleasure was, but I don't really feel guilty about loving it so I'm not sure I would even call it that. I am wary to express my love for this in mixed company because it seems to be a thing to hate this movie. anguish It came out when was going on 12 years old, and this was my version of Godzilla and I have to stand by it as one of my favorites just because of the fun involved. I admit I had never seen any other version of Godzilla other than this one so I apologize to any rabid fans of the original movies. If its any consolation, I do think this movie was far from perfect. I've never really been that into Matthew Broderick as the lead, but I always appreciated the performances by Maria Pitillo, Hank Azaria, Michael Lerner, Doug Savant, and especially Jean Reno and they were all in it enough that Matthew as the lead was never really that distracting. The action was pretty relentless throughout to even maintain my interest even for its long running time. I'm sure this would be an easy one to pick apart (and I'm sure someone somewhere out on the internet has lol), but I always found this disaster flick very entertaining and memorable. My favorite part of the entire movie was when four of our leads were trapped in Madison Square Garden with all the cute (and hungry) baby zilla's. I can understand how more discerning viewers would find it all derivative of Jurassic Park. It probably deserves a 7/10 the most, but I gave it a generous 9/10 because the 5.3/10 on IMDb seems way too low for this movie when other worse disaster flicks on IMDb hold higher ratings. Makes me think this was downvoted for being a remake on the source material and, to steal the phrase from Shred, people weren't giving the movie a fair shake on its own merit so it needs a little extra support from whatever fans that do exist out there. <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:02 am

Mother! Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 am

Liar Liar is one of the funniest movies I have seen in my life. Good choice Dan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 am

If I was a boxer, I would bounce those things like Sugar Ray Leonard Laughing ok that was only included in the outtakes but is still funny. Liar Liar is easily my favourite Carrey movie. Funniest by far. It's just non stop, hilarious, outrageous fun.

"Our case is simply this.....*proceeds to make insane noises" haha and of course "you slammed her, you dunked her doughnut, you gave her dog a snausage, you stuffed her like a thanksgiving turkey *makes turkey noises bouncing around" Laughing

Sadly, I found out a few months ago the guy who played Kenneth Falk died. I always thought his expressions were funny as the madness ensued.

We should do top 5 funny Jim Carrey movies.

Lol back in 1998, I found a way to connect two video machines up. Play a movie on one and record it onto a blank tape on the other. I rented a bunch of movies and did this so I could own them without having to buy. Godzilla was one of the first I recorded. God they were great days. Wasn't legal but sure, who knew? Lol. I wasn't selling them or anything, they were just for me to own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks, Tom! I'm glad to see there are other Liar Liar fans on here. I'm not sure where Jim Carrey really stands with a lot of people on here. The thing with Jim Carrey is that for every good movie he made, he had a couple movies that I didn't care for. None of them (except maybe The Truman Show, which I've never seen) ever seemed to stand up to this one in how good they are. I didn't really like Dumb and Dumber or Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, but Liar Liar and Once Bitten were decent. How the Grinch Stole Christmas had a few funny moments, but I really didn't like Fun with Dick and Jane at all. The only thing I remember about that one was that we got a speeding ticket on our way back home from seeing that one, which doesn't have to do with the movie itself so that's not a good sign. I hated Man on the Moon and I think there was a disturbing scene in that that sort of made me shut it off...? Been awhile, but I don't care to go back to revisit it. Even his dramatic turn in The Number 23 was more annoying than entertaining. I blame the script there. At least he doesn't seem as overexposed as that other funnyman from the 90s who got type-casted in slacker characters.

I never did that Neil but I knew a few people who did. One lady I knew would rent all her movies from the library and copy them, lol. My family was lucky to own one TV and one VCR, let alone two. I did tape a lot of movies off HBO, though... hopefully one that I did will show up in a future "nostalgic" review because I found a DVD of that one recently as well and plan to watch it very soon. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:45 am

I DEMAND that you watch The Truman show and review it. Do not watch another movie until you've watched it lol. It's one of his best movies and has a good mix of comedy and drama. I would probably put it as my number one Carrey movie. I can't believe you've never seen it Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:55 am

I went to the cinema to see Liar Liar, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't seen it since, but I do distinctly remember one line he says to his boss or co-worker, I think, maybe someone can correct me on this, but he says:
"anything that takes the attention away from your face"
referring to the new haircut she's got? It was priceless.
Perhaps it's time for a second viewing, it has been 20 years lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Lol YouTube has everything! Her face at the end Laughing I prefer the bit right after that when the fat guy says "what's up, Fletcher?" and he responds "your cholesterol, fatty!!" Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:08 pm

lolol, not a bad effort remembering after 20 years Smile
Priceless
Definitely gonna give it another viewing soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tom_delonge_ava

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Truman Show is a masterpiece if you ask me. Definitely something worth watching, not only for Jim Carrey movies, but for movies in general. I haven't done a ranking in a long time, but it is most likely in my Top 25 movies. Top 50 for sure.

Here are some more hilarious lines from Liar Liar I can recall, that haven't been mentioned yet:

Fletcher's son: "my teacher says that real beauty is on the inside"
Fletcher: "that's just something ugly people say"

random bathroom patron: "what the hell are you doing!?"
Fletcher: "i'm kickin' my ass, do you mind!?"

Prosecution Lawyer: "Objection! He's badgering the witness!"
Judge: "It's HIS witness!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Truman Show is amazing. Highly recommended. Other Jim Carrey Movies: The Mask is weird and kinda dated for the 90's now, but I still think it's enjoyable. Bruce Almighty is okay. Has a few Liar Liar-ish moments but nowhere near as consistent. Plus Steve Carell is also in it, if you like him. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is perhaps his deepest movie that was critically praised. I think it's pretty damn good, especially if you enjoy philosophy or indie movies.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is so deep. I just love that movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 am

I just saw A Quiet Place last night. Excellent. Almost as good as Mother!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Truman Show <3

I really want to see A Quiet Place. My babe was going to take me to see it but I wanted to wait for reviews and feedback. I would like I'm sure, right David? Emily Blunt <3 loved her in Wind Chill (and everything else she's done tbh)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 pm

soco-81 wrote:
Truman Show <3

I really want to see A Quiet Place. My babe was going to take me to see it but I wanted to wait for reviews and feedback. I would like I'm sure, right David? Emily Blunt <3 loved her in Wind Chill (and everything else she's done tbh)
A Quiet Place got excellent reviews. Not only is it scary, but there is something so heartwarming about the family that you so feel for their plight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 pm

A former co-worker wants to go see it with me, so we're planning on going. I love Emily Blunt, too! I first noticed her in Wind Chill, but the role she really won me over was The Girl on a Train, which is pretty underrated IMO. Her performance was simply amazing.
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 am

The Commuter 6/10
I think the best word to describe this movie would be formulaic....once the opening sequences is over, because that on it's own is worth 9/10, very cleverly done. Some of the other sequences are impressive too, while some of the fight scenes are not credible to say the least, especially the one with the guitar player. I don't claim to be super-smart or more clever than the average guy/girl, but the fact that I had it figured out before the halfway point says a lot. The director tries his best to throw red herrings, but they are so contrived, to the point where, as the viewer, you feel almost insulted. The plot also has more holes than a Swiss cheese factory, but to be fair, the film moves along at a fair pace, rarely letting up. As a viewer, do I find it believable that a 60 year old Liam Neeson could do half the things he manages to do in this film? Probably not, but the guy is just too cool nonetheless, while Vera Farmiga doesn't disappoint in what is ultimately, a cameo role, even she is central to the plot.
So would I recommend it? Probably, on the proviso that you don't expect to be blown away, but instead be mildly entertained until something better comes along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Saw A Quiet Place yesterday. It was so good. My second favorite of the year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Oh what's that poster? Are those all the movies you've seen this year? Looks cool lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:43 pm

It's this website Letterboxd where it lets you keep track of all the movies you watch and you can rate/review/rank them too. It's pretty cool lol. If anyone has one, give me a follow!

https://letterboxd.com/NattyIce4/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 am

Oh I have to check that out, I miss rating and reviewing movies!! I mean, we had IMDb for that but that site is DEAD TO ME.
Back to top Go down
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

Baby Driver: I wanted to watch this movie for a long time, but finally made some time yesterday. I mostly wanted to watch it for the soundtrack cuz I heard it was really good. It wasn't??? I mean, it had a couple of good songs, but overall not a huge fan of TOO MANY songs playing all the time, but I guess that was the whole point/plot of the movie so I guess I missed it Laughing The movie was good though! I really loved the scene when they all go to the diner. And the final fight between Baby and the main villain was pretty good. Kevin Spacey tho...ehhhh no. 8/10
Back to top Go down
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

It kind of felt like they couldn't get the songs they actually wanted to use, so they just used the back-ups lol. I loved everything else about the movie though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I loved the songs in Baby Driver. I never heard anyone say the music was bad until now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I saw Isle of Dogs last night. It was the best movie I've seen so far this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently Watched Thread   

Back to top Go down

Recently Watched Thread
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next