Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Flatliners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 am

I saw this advertised on tv. I didn't even know it was being rremade but again, was it really needed? I've never seen the original but gather it was well received. I think I'll have to check it out. I suppose I could watch original and remake, since I have no loyalty to the original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:28 pm

It looks terrible from the promos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

0% on Rotton Tomatoes. That is pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Maybe they should take the hint and stop remaking already good movies and remake the bad ones! It's common sense and will never understand why they keep doing this. Have they run out of fresh ideas? There are a tonne of bad movies that could be remade much better. Focus on those! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Stupidity reigns in Hollywood. That is the problem. The only good remake that I can recall is Dawn of the Dead. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was acceptable. Since teens only go to movies these days, they don't have to work too hard to make good movies now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:16 pm

At least the Dawn remake changed parts of it. It was only loosely the same. There were many differences between the two and I love both movies for different reasons. The Night remake is also good. Just realising there is a thread for remakes chat lol.

Trying to think of other remakes that were good. Ii enjoyed The Hitcher, The Karate Kid was alright lol, Miracle on 34th Street Laughing of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady911

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Quote :
The Karate Kid was alright lol

Whattttt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 am

Rotten Tomatoes gave It Comes At Night a good score when it was a TERRIBLE movie. That site is dead to me ATM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 am

Haha I've never used that, I just go by IMDb, although they shafted us. It still hurts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 am

A-Supreme wrote:
Rotten Tomatoes gave It Comes At Night a good score when it was a TERRIBLE movie. That site is dead to me ATM.
I disagree. I loved that movie. It was horror, but just not the kind of horror you like. It was scary to me, because it seemed like it was something that can happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:42 am

It's been done before, and much better, in lesser-known movies. If I may give my cold hard opinion, there's nothing worse than a movie than promises good things but ends up delivering nothing. While I'm ranting (lol sorry), there is no absolutely no shortage of slow, boring dramas infiltrating the horror genre and acting like they're something better than what they really are. Nothing against you modica, I just really hope the artsy fartsy horror trend fades out soon and I've been complaining about it for a few years now. The only good thing about ICAN in particular is the acting, which leads itself into a somewhat effective (if wasted) drama scene at the end. But what's still missing are any answers to what's going on, or why it came to that.

The "let the audience imagine the evil that lays beyond without showing/explaining anything" gimmick is used far too freely these days and is no excuse for providing no answers to the plot. It's almost as ineffective now as the "person has multiple personalities and is the killer" twist that continues to show up to cheat the audience. Eventually, viewers want something of a pay back on their time invested, and I never got that with this movie. At all. And that was frustrating. To me, anyway.

/rant - glad you liked it at least.
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 am

I just find human beings more frightening than any monster. That is why ICAN was a good watch for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:21 am

Oh Dan sass. I like it Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 am

Oh btw, I don't have to have everything answered for me. I appreciate the unknowable, because I can ruminate on it for awhile. I always find questions more interesting than the answers that some screenwriters give the audience. Most answers to interesting questions in film generally fall flat with me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:44 pm

Lol, the post does sound kind of sassy but honestly It Comes At Night really annoys me, along with the rest of the boring stuff that critics tend to eat up.

I don't mind Lovecraftian sort of horror if it's clear that the filmmakers have a plan in mind, or are at least thought-provoking and give plenty of hunts or clues on what their movie is about. Michael Flanagan's Absentia is a very good example. Plot isn't stream-lined and it could leave a viewer in the dark upon first watch, but given enough discussion, it all glues together somehow in a way that makes perfect sense. The plot itself even discusses the possibilities to scenarios we the viewers aren't privy to, or don't have a secure point of view to. With ICAN, I just never got the sense that the creators knew what they were doing... especially given the multiple plot holes. They just got a few capable actors and shot a script that left you in the dark too much and waited for the praise. And they got it. Good for them, I guess? The biggest thing though is, Absentia doesn't present itself to be anymore than what it is, which can't be said for ICAN. As I said in my review, it sort of misleads you into thinking it's a monster movie but really its a psychological thriller of sorts but even that's not particularly done well (though, as I said, it is sufficiently played by the actors).

A movie that is somewhat similar but much better is Here Alone, which is a zombie apocalypse movie but (like ICAN) the zombies are surprisingly the backdrop to what really is a psychological thriller/drama between the heroine and two strangers who come to live with her. Like the (I think?) plague in ICAN which barely makes a presence, zombies only show up to amplify the drama but it's really the humans who are really kind of each other's biggest enemies at the end of the day.

And the endings... I just felt like Here Alone ended in such a way that you really think what you would do in the characters shoes, whereas ICAN just made me think "Are you fucking kidding me?!" and annoyed that they strung me along for an hour and a half and then had the audacity to leave me in the dark. Maybe you're right that it's not my type of horror, but then again (sassy alert), I like my horrors to make sense. Hmph agitated

Btw, modica, where is your Bette Davis avatar from? What movie?
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:25 pm

That avatar is from Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. It was one of the scenes where Davis' character had to go out into the public, so she had to be more presentable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Would you recommend The Nanny?
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm

The Hulk Hogan movie? Brilliant Laughing wait no, that was Mr. Nanny! Silly me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 pm

It's a Bette Davis movie where I think she plays an evil nanny, or has an evil child she takes care of. Either way, it could be a fun one.
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:12 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
Yes, I liked The Nanny, but I like just about anything with Bette Davis in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:28 pm

I figured you were a fan. I'll probably bump it up on my Netflix queue then. She's an interesting actress from what I've seen of her so far. I don't watch a lot of the classic stuff, though I have a few titles that I need to see and soon. The Nanny is one of them.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Don't be bumping it ahead of The Langoliers! Razz still waiting patiently for that review lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 pm

A-Supreme wrote:

TCM will be airing it next on October 13th at 11AM. I was planning to DVR it and watch it later that night. I always try to keep track of what they play during the month of October because there's always some good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 am

Laughing  I won't Neil. I've been watching some Stephen King lately, so maybe I'll get it to it soon. I've watched The Dead Zone and Firestarter recently. I think I just have Silver Bullet and Graveyard Shift yet to see and those have been on my list for longer, then maybe I'll pick up the set with The Langoliers on it.

And thanks for letting me know, Bobby! I think I might have stuff saved on DVR from the summer that I haven't gotten around to. I know Zone of the Dead was one of them. lol
Back to top Go down
modica

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Shred wrote:
A-Supreme wrote:

TCM will be airing it next on October 13th at 11AM. I was planning to DVR it and watch it later that night. I always try to keep track of what they play during the month of October because there's always some good stuff.
TCM plays some great scary movies during the Halloween season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatliners   

Back to top Go down

Flatliners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum for the IMDb Games community :: Other :: Movies-
Jump to: