Share | 

Remakes vs. Originals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm

To do something a little different, I will pair eight remakes with their originals and give an overall assessment of which I prefer better and why. Hopefully some of you can give other comparisons I don't do over in here. I've already discussed my opinions of the newest remake to hit theaters - 2017's It. Now, let me talk about some of the others from the past....

Fright Night
1985 vs. 2011

Chris Sarandon or Colin Farrell... which vampire is scarier to live next door to? I think whoever favors what will probably gravitate towards the man they find hotter. Therefore...
The Verdict: The remake. Yeah, I'm a sucker (no pun intended, I guess?) for bad-boy Colin Farrell. He just seemed like a perfect fit for this role. He also seemed a bit more mischievous and brought a rather menacing edge to the character. I know Chris Sarandon has his fans, though... and rightfully so. However, while I may be in the minority here, I actually enjoyed this tale more being told outside of the campy 1980s era. Sorry! Sad

Martyrs
2008 vs. 2015

The 7.1 IMDb rating for the original would have you believing that it was a modern-day classic. When plans were announced for a remake, it left a lot of people scratching their heads and set on hating the new spin on the tale. Was the original really all that much to write home about, though?
The Verdict: Nope, it's definitely not. There's a solid hatedom surrounding the 2015 film, especially considering that it's an English remake. Heaven forbid someone remake a foreign film! Let's face it, though... it at least makes a harrowing and difficult-to-digest story surprisingly entertaining and thrilling. The original is something someone who absolutely despises life would watch and treasure. I, of course, love to be thrilled so please don't flay me alive for liking the remake a lot more.

Cabin Fever
2002 vs. 2016

While Martyrs was remade to transition a morbid tale from French to English (halfway understandable, especially if you hate subtitles), this movie was simply remade. Question is, was it necessary?
The Verdict: Absolutely not. Eli Roth gets a ton of hate, but the original film is the great (though gross) fall treat for horror viewers. The cast was perfect and there were so many great moments that were sick, disturbing, and memorable. The remake isn't a terrible film per se, but watching it just sort of made me love aspects of the original that much more. And it's not like you're stepping too far back into the past if you choose to shut the remake off to watch the original instead...

Prom Night
1980 vs. 2008

This is tougher than it looks... I didn't particularly care for either movie and both sort of lack a bit of something when compared to other slasher movies of their time. Still, one must rise above the other, right?
The Verdict: The original. When it comes down to it, this one at least had a mystery element to it. We didn't know who the killer was and the reveal at the end offered a pretty underrated subversion to the final-girl/killer confrontation that is usually featured in the good slasher flicks of its time. Johnathon Schaech offing a few teenagers on his quest to get to Brittany Snow just made the remake seem like a derivative stalking picture. Ugh.

When a Stranger Calls
1979 vs. 2006

Another tough one. The remake pretty much amplifies the best part of the original... the question is, did it succeed over the original?
The Verdict: Not really. The original's first sequence is classic horror cinema and is simply not even remotely touched by an hour-and-a-half of the remake. Even if I did consider the whole original film, you still get to see the creepy stalker meander through trashy 70s urbania in a film that was made a few years before the likes of Maniac, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Nightmare, all of which oddly follow the killer instead of the final girl which was much more common in horror films of the era. Love it or hate it for that, it's still something different and unique in structure in that we still got to see our plucky final girl (now a woman) square off against the killer at the end. The remake, sadly, is just plain boring.

Night of the Living Dead
1968 vs. 1990

If Psycho is the grandfather of horror cinema, then this one would probably be the father. At least of zombie films. I think there might be even a remake of the remake, but let's just ignore that for simplicity's sake.
The Verdict: The original. While I loved seeing Barbara get a badass upgrade in the remake, the original was just creepier as a horror movie and it's not like Sam in the original didn't have what Barbara had in the remake. All that he was missing was a happy ending... pale That aside, some of the zombies looked like normal people and were different from the zombies we all came to learn to come to know. Due to this, this movie ironically feels fresh  even for today's viewers who may have never watched this movie. The zombies in the remake just looked a tinge bit too cartoonish for my liking. If I want to see a badass come out on top, then I'd put in the remake but the original is horror at its finest and a lot of the classics do have downbeat endings so I choose to take the bad with the good. The remake is there if I want to see a somewhat happy ending..

Dawn of the Dead
1978 vs. 2004

It's only fitting to consider this one, as well. Both films are extremely popular amongst horror fans, but my preference may surprise you.
The Verdict: The remake X100! I honestly kind of felt that the original lost a lot of charm between "Night" and "Dawn", and it became a long, boring statement about materialism as our three protagonists adjusted to life in the mall during the zombie apocalypse. I still can't seem to muster up the energy to watch this all the way through again. Zack Snyder's reimaging, on the other hand, is snappy, gory, and relentless. Who cares if the zombies run faster than a marathon runner? I still wouldn't want to come across one in an alleyway!

Death Game & Knock Knock
1977 vs. 2015

Finally, a remake with a different title than its source material. Both tell the story of two girls showing up at the door-step of a married, middle-aged man on a rainy evening while the wife is away. After some small-talk, a threesome commences between the three characters. The next day, the two girls show their true colors and decide to make the man their new plaything... The original is an obscure 70's cult film that showed the dangers of extramarital affairs years before Fatal Attraction mainstreamed it a decade later. Eli Roth brought back this story with Keanu Reeves as our protagonist a few years ago. Was it as good, though?
The Verdict: I'm going to be honest, both versions wear out their welcome and are impossible to really take too seriously. However, one does seem to be a bit more self-aware than the other and that would be the original. The original has this really catchy, foreboding tune that plays throughout its opening credits that just won't get out of your head. It also has an ending that is just so abrupt, fitting, and amusing that it sort of helps make up for most of the shortcomings. Roth's version has neither, unfortunately... and I just found it annoying after a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm not as eloquent in this subject as Dan, but I'll def say original Halloween is much better than the remake. I don't mind Rob Zombie as a director with his original work, but that was terrible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 pm

The Hitcher
1986 vs 2007

Is this even horror? Lol is listed as horror on IMDb, the remake anyway. The original is masterful. Loved every minute of the cat and mouse chase. Have always got time for it if I see it on tv. The remake I think is unfairly critisised. I enjoyed it a lot and thought Sean  Bean made a really good up to date John Ryder. I didn't think the changes they made were bad. Both solid and enjoyable movies but original over remake. Have seen original Cabin Fever and enjoyed it. They remade that?? WHY? Lol weird. I saw the remake Prom Night a number of years ago and thought it was just a pretty basic teen slasher. Nothing to shout about.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1974 vs 2003

I saw these in the wrong order so I'm not sure if that affects my opinion. I only recently saw the original and thought it was alright at best. It took a long time for the real horror to begin and when it id, it seemed to be over very quickly. I haven't seen the remake in a long time but I remember enjoying it a lot. Iit was suspenseful from the off. I think the original is overrated so I'm going to say remakeover original lol even though it is a cult classic.

The Crazies
1973 vs 2010

Again, I saw them in backwards order. I really enjoyed the remake and was gripped for the majority of it. I loved that you didn't knowwho would become crazy or when. I can't say the same thing about the original. I was really bored lol! Maybe it deserves another viewing but I don't see that happening any time soon Laughing

I love both Dawn movies, for different reasons. Really enjoyed the Night remake and making Barbara a strong lead female was an improvement. Hated the original version lol felt she was the worst part about it. I saw Fright Night original last year and thought it was fun, but not seen the remake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 pm

It is an adaptation and I cannot believe you like the Fright Night remake better than the wonderful original. This thread is giving me cancer boyfriend!! I'm just kidding (luv you a ton Dan) though It is still an adaptation of Stephen King's novel (the original source material) xoxo (horror buddies for life <3). The filmmakers (Andy Muschietti) love the book and King's work deserved a really good adaptation (the 1990 film is so neutered and tried to fit an 1100 page book into 3 hours). I'm so with you on Prom Night!! I also watched the original When a Stranger Calls again last year and like it way more than when I was a kid. The middle part of the movie is actually pretty cool.

Neil I love The Hitcher!!

One remake I like better is The Hills Have Eyes. I didn't like the original film (I'm not a fan of The Last House on the Left either), but the remake by Alexandre Aja is pretty much perfect. Piranha was impressive too. Other than Aja's work, I also have a soft spot for Black Christmas (it's like a really good late 80's sorority house slasher movie) and I adore The Blob 1988.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 pm

The original Hitcher BTW. The remake (though not as good as the original) was fun too. Sophia Bush is a goddess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 pm

I actually have never seen The Crazies original! The remake was pretty good though as I like Radha Mitchell and Timothy Olyphant. I can't imagine it being topped, and the fact that no one talks about the original is usually a pretty good sign that it's underwhelming as fuuuuck. It's similar to 2001 Maniacs... it's got a fun remake that I loved, but there is an original lingering out there somewhere waiting for me to discover. Give it time, Neil. I'll get there. lol

I actually liked Rob Zombie's Halloween, though not as much as the original, in that he did offer something different to the story and the acting was surprisingly good and it was quite seasonal. I think my only real beef with this one was the unnecessary rape scene, but that can be solved by watching the theatrical cut. It is the popular opinion for people to gripe about his movie for offering insight into Michael, but there's worse ones out there than this one. Like his take on Halloween II, for instance. Laughing

The Hitcher remake left me feeling cold. I always preferred that tale being between two men... one evil older one and one innocent younger one who needs to man up to survive. Changing the gender of the lead character makes it just another routine slasher and Sophia Bush brought no charisma to the role IMHO. The Stepfather remake did this as well and upset the balance of what made the original so good... stepfather vs. teenage daughter was much scarier.

The Hills Have Eyes is good, remake and original. I think both of them are pretty damn near shot-by-shot, or at least they seem rather similar so I'd almost have to rewatch them to give an assessment. Vinessa Shaw being in the remake gives it an edge, though. Razz The jury will have to be out on this one until I can give them a proper rewatch.

The same goes for The Funny Games original and remake. One is foreign language and the other is basically a shot-by-shot remake, but in English... both directed by the same guy. Naomi Watts does appear in the U.S. version and I love her, but it's hard to say if that warrants calling the remake better...

Some movies where I felt the remake was better...

I Spit On Your Grave - I do think Camille Keaton is a far superior actress and I actually passed out after watching the original (the bathtub scene.....ick), but this one comes down to how well plotted the remake was when compared to the original, which kind of just petered out in the finale.

Last House on the Left - I've discussed this back on IMDb, but the remake makes the wise choice to keep one of the girls alive to give the parents enough insight to fight the gang to the death.

Straw Dogs - The remake all the way! The original took place in remote England a long time gone, but they were able to seamlessly set the movie in the south and have it work just as well. I guess critics felt that the remake "celebrated" violence... um so? Don't you people watch thrillers to, well, be thrilled? suspect

The Amityville Horror - It's been way too long since seeing the original, but I loved seeing the wife (played by Melissa George) being played as a stronger female lead in the remake.

Village of the Damned - The original isn't bad by any stretch, of course... I just grew up on the remake so my loyalties have to lie there.

Good call on The Blob, Bobby. I haven't' seen the original for that, but it's probably because I haven't sought it out that well given that the remake was a pretty good movie in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 pm

There's also some gay undertones (most of which I probably imagined) which are really fascinating in The Hitcher. I think I might have mentioned it before on the message boards on IMDB but was ignored/shut down like you were Dan on the Lights Out board Laughing. I just like Sophie Bush in One Tree Hill <3.

I grew up on the Village of the Damned remake too. I like the original movie, but it's not quite a horror classic for me like The Innocents, Carnival of Souls, Psycho, The Cat People, Bride of Frankenstein, Nosferatu etc are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Bobby, have you seen the 1998 film Carnival of Souls? I absolutely adore the original film with Candace Hilligoss, but I keep passing on this one for other films and I hear that Wes Craven is involved somehow? I'm just curious if it is worth checking out. The plot doesn't even sound like the original CoS....??!

The only film that has really come close to capturing the magic of the original Carnival of Souls has been 1983's Sole Survivor, but even that one isn't really a remake as it just borrows heavily from CoS's themes. I guess Final Destination captures some of that magic as well, but Sole Survivor really is really the only movie that comes close to retelling that tale. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 pm

I saw it a long, long time ago when I was in elementary school and remember it being really weird and nonsensical. Wes Craven was involved, but those films can be a hit or a miss. The cover is really cool though.

I haven't seen Sole Survivor! I'll give it a watch. Soul Survivors (2001) is also inspired by Carnival of Souls. It isn't as good of course as CoS, but I have a soft spot for it since I used to rent it all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Yassss i'll check out SoUl Survivor if you check out SoLE Survivor Razz I believe it's lingering on YouTube or Daily Motion somewhere. The DVD is pretty nice but something of a hard find, but I was really impressed with it overall.

I wish Netflix would get back some of their content that they had back when I first subscribed to it. I remember that Soul Survivor was on there back in the day. Sad
Back to top Go down
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Rec (2007) vs Quarantine (2008)
First of all, I think we need to ask why this was remade so quickly ?? As it turns out, it's not a bad remake, but it still doesn't hold up to the original.

Let the right one in (2008) vs Let me in (2010)
As stated before, 2 years and it's already being remade. Again, the remake is ok, but since the original is close to being a masterpiece, Matt Reeves was always gonna struggle to live up to it. There's a wonderful video on Youtube by a fan who basically explains why the remake is so inferior and also suggests why it was remade so quickly, fun viewing.

Ringu (1998) vs The Ring (2002)
I'm starting to see a pattern here lol. But once again the remake is not that bad, while still not up to standard vis-a-vis original, which contains that final scene which really hits the spot on first viewing!!

A nightmare on elm street (1984) vs A nightmare on elm street (2010)
I think I made a comment on one of these thread regarding the original...while it was brilliant when I first saw it at the cinema, it has not aged well. So this is the kind of movie which needs that "nostalgic" element when reviewing etc. Whereas the remake sucked donkey balls, I think that's enough said about that.

The Eye (2002) vs The Eye (2008)
The Pang brothers movie is a gem, and to this day I have not seen the remake simply because of a review I read from a reliable source which claimed that the movie was "A stinking turd of celluloid". Perhaps someone else on this thread can offer an opinion if they have seen both.

Invasion of the body snatchers (1956) vs Invasion of the bodysnatchers (1978)
In this case, I have to be honest and say that both are equally good. That rare occasion where the remake holds up to the original, and I think ratings on IMDB prove that to a certain extent.

Frankenstein (1931) vs any of its many remakes
Why do they even bother trying, knowing full well that they will NEVER live up to expectation!!

The thing from another world  (1951) vs The thing (1982)
Just to prove a point that it does happen, albeit rarely, this remake is better than the original in every sense. To clarify, I'm not saying that the original was crap, far from it, simply that John Carpenter's tour de force raised the bar for all to follow in this particular genre, in my opinion.

The omen (1976) vs The Omen (2006)
...so we go back to "the norm". Anyone who says this remake is better needs their head examined, it's not even close to it. I'm trying to think if this was the first horror film to contain a decapitation scene...again, perhaps one of the more avid horror fans on this thread will shed some light on the matter. That nanny played by Billie Whitelaw gave me serious nightmares after watching this when I was 11 or 12 lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:11 pm

I've only ever seen the remakes to The Ring, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Thing. I have to be in the right mood to watch anything from before 1960, though sometimes I do for curiosity's sake. It's not so much that I derive any sort of fear or anxiety from these films... they just come across as charming, if nothing else. Those days are far too distant to be anything but mere time capsules for me.

I did watch The Fly original, which wasn't too bad but the David Cronenberg remake blows that one out of the water. Just like The Thing, the effects are just so timeless and the story is so well told. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to find anybody who would love the original more. I didn't even mind the 2011 prequel to The Thing, other than the fact that some of the effects were so CGI it looked fake.

As for the Asian films and their remakes. The Shutter original was creepier than the Shutter remake which starred Joshua Jackson. I think the Dark Water original is sitting on Amazon Prime, but Amazon's subtitle system is so poor and goes out-of-sync with what is playing on the screen so I get so lost. The Jennifer Connolly remake is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to watch it, but if I can help it, I always try to see the original first. I haven't checked out any of the original Ju-On: The Grudge  movies (only the American franchise), nor have I ever seen any of The Eyes though I've heard poor things about them.

I bought The Omen complete collection from Wal-Mart for like $20 so I am waiting for the right rainy fall day to put those in. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 pm

The Grudge really creeped me out lol the 2004 Sarah Michelle Gellar version. The mum demon thing, oh it gave me the willies Laughing The noise she made (was that made by a comb or something?). I've had a number of nightmares about her over the years lol. One that has repeated at least three times is when I'm in an empty hotel going up and down floors, running aound the halls and she's chasing me, I can hear the creepy noise she makes and sometimes see her shadow,filled with fear I'm just running and running but knowing she'll get me. It's unsettling lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

soullimbo wrote:
The omen (1976) vs The Omen (2006)
...so we go back to "the norm". Anyone who says this remake is better needs their head examined, it's not even close to it. I'm trying to think if this was the first horror film to contain a decapitation scene...again, perhaps one of the more avid horror fans on this thread will shed some light on the matter. That nanny played by Billie Whitelaw gave me serious nightmares after watching this when I was 11 or 12 lol

Francis Ford Coppola's Dementia 13 (1963) has a decapitation. It's a pretty good movie too!

Last edited by Shred on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:00 am

Friday the 13th vs Friday the 13th 2009

No contest, 80s Friday knocks the remake out of the park, it is quite scary, good twists and a great cast. I do enjoy the remake too but I was a bit ugh with some of the cast and how we didn't see Jason from his eyes view. Also the script of the first Friday is great, Pamela being a psycho is great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Dementia 13 <3 even though it is a bit of a Psycho ripoff and my favorite character got killed off way too early. That's probably the idea though of it being a ripoff. Laughing I remember there's a really bizarre reason for it's title, but I can't remember what it is. Psycho => Dementia... they both seem kind of similar, but apparently there was another movie called Dementia but I can't remember why they chose the number 13 to tack on the title. scared Overall, the movie is not bad for an obscure find... it's almost like Piranha to Jaws. Both are enjoyable. It's almost better because it takes itself seriously and still manages to not be a complete disaster, surprising given the nature of which it was conceived.

As for Friday the 13th (2009)... as a generic slasher, I didn't mind it, but I hated it as a remake to the original film. It felt like it squeezed the first chapters into one and really truly was a remake of the fourth film. One of the survivors was so underdeveloped and the idea that Jason even took a prisoner just seemed a bit too far-out and weird to me. I didn't expect him to be the same Jason as we knew him in the original, but I did like the fact that he killed everyone indiscriminately in the original franchise. I might've accepted this better if Whitney wasn't such a "WHO?" character in the movie. I was sort of hoping for a more modern summer-camp kind of deal, like Return to Sleepaway Camp which IMO gets far too much hate.
Back to top Go down
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Return to Sleepaway Camp feels cheap I feel, it is fine and I like how they didn't do it completely over like a remake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:09 pm

lol Return to the Sleepaway Camp was definitely cheap, but oddly charming at the same time. I loved how they got some of the original cast to come back and how they utilized the bullying element again. Alan seems to have a pretty solid hatedom, though. It's a pretty solid sequel, much better than to be expected after over 20 years.

That's not to say I hated the other two sequels where Angela was a wisecracking murderess. I loved when she charred that one girl and told her to say no to drugs. lmao

Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Return to Sleepaway Camp is my ultimate guilty pleasure Laughing. It's so bad and it's characters so obnoxious that it almost becomes modern art. It IS charming and it's a movie that's obviously after our own hearts since it feels like it was made in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 4:49 pm

Dan did you really pass out from I Spit on Your Grave!?! I watched the original and its remake the other night and last night after putting it off (the original) forever (I've meant to watch since I was 16!). The remake was alright, but it was all too cliche for me (why include the sheriff??? You'd think there's no kind trustworthy police officers in the south), and the latter half of the movie that focused on the torture was much less interesting than the sexual mind games of the original. The 1978 movie would be unwatchable to most, but at it's core it's a powerful feminist film (the critics were so wrong originally) and Camilla Keaton was fantastic. The guys too. Everyone was so brave for acting in a film like that in 1978. It's shocking/repellent. You're so right about the castration scene too. I liked it way more than The Last House on the Last which I've never liked mostly because of the tasteless humor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 6:01 pm

Woke Bobby <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 8:44 pm

The Last House on the Last lol not as funny as Henry's "a fresh of breath air" but close Laughing I rated that a 5/10 on IMDb, remake that is, never seen the original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 9:43 pm

Yeah, Bobby... honestly, the whole idea of "bleeding out" just really made me queasy at the time. It still does and I still have a hard time with vampire horrors, even comedies, just because they deal a lot with blood, feeding on blood, harvesting it... yuck. It's just all super distasteful to me. I've watched pretty much the worst of the worst (in terms of that), including Hostel: Part II, and nothing ever got to me as much as the original ISOYG's ringerleader's death scene. The way he said her pleasuring him was so sweet that it was painful, to him realizing what she did and why it was painful, to seeing the bathtub water & suds get so bloody, and then having to hear him shriek as Jennifer Hills sits all stoic like in the livingroom as he died off. It just got me so lightheaded that I had to shut it off... I must have passed out right after I did, because when I came to, I shot straight up in a panic and was honestly thinking I was suffering from a stroke and thought I was dying. It was such a bizarre experience.

The vice-grip ball crushing scene in the remake's sequel is also another one that I have a hard time watching. Maybe I just have a hard time with "balls" body horror. LOL The sequel is a bit too brutal for me, and I wasn't overly crazy about the third one either. The original had a sequel too, but I hear that it was a disastrous rehash of the original and apparently Camille Keaton quit midway thru filming so I never bothered to find it.

Though I thought Camille Keaton's performance in the original was better than Sarah Butler's, the remake ISOYG seemed more theatrical and played the final-girl inversion trope much better and much more satisfying. What I mean by that is that the remake carried that sense of doom similar to I Know What You Did Last Summer when all the guys realized that they were in deep shit and one by one they fell like dominos as the final girl -- normally the mere victim, but also the killer this time -- offs a group of despicable human beings. The presence of the sheriff was just used to enforce the fact that she wasn't going to get any help from the law enforcement, giving her all the more reason to take the law in her own hands.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 10:48 pm

Ooops <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Remakes vs. Originals   Yesterday at 10:54 pm

lol It's just an opinion. lol. I may be a supreme, but I'm not God. Very Happy
Back to top Go down