HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Football (soccer) Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Struggling! Beaten by Costa Rica 0-2 at home. Massive game on Tuesday away to Honduras. I think I'll ty to find a link online to watch that. They simply can't lose that one. Only 3 games left and with the top 2 spots virtually assured, they have to fend off Honduras and Panama to take the third. They could still make it if they slipped to 4th, via a play-off against an Asian team (Possibly Australia or Saudi Arabia), but we don't want that! Laughing

Northern Ireland are in good shape to make a European play-off spot. Hoping for a kind draw in that. Haven't been at a World up since 1986. I would absolutely love to make it and then get USA in the group! They've never played, ever, not even in a friendly game. It would be a close game.

Last edited by EnnJaySee on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am

Y'all suck!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Go Belgium
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 am

Haha yeah, Go Belgium indeed. I would love to see Canada make it some time but they're not good enough yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah bro maybe in a few years Razz. TFC has been killing it tho eh! Watching any MLS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm

I don't watch any MLS but I check in on the tables now and again. There's too much football to keep up with as it is without following other countries Laughing glad the Premier League is back this week after the international break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Seriously? You guys suck. You threw qualification away. I'm pissed off lol fucking hate Honduras and they did what they had to, as did Panama and your guys go and lose to TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO. Sorry but that is awful. Anyway that sucks. No USA at the next World Cup Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iraheto

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Spoiler:

Last edited by Iraheto on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iraheto

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I can’t beliebe this is happening literally every worse case scenario (Panama winning)(Honduras winning), USA losing to an island country?????

This is devastating in every sense. Soccer is still a growing sport in the US and it needed the World Cup to bring in younger viewers and help the MLS grow and they just wasted 4 fucking years with that pitiful performance, it was almost like they didn’t give a fuck. How many times did I see Michael Bradley just walk around the field? Fuck that guy what a shitty excuse for a captain. Not that I was expecting miracles from the USA in the World Cup, they always stumble halfway through but just even being in the World Cup would’ve been great for American Soccer. What a disappointing night.

Also 1 of Panama’s goals didn’t even go in and the idiot ref counted it. A mistake from a ref in a different game just cost the USA a spot in the World Cup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 am

I know when you're disappointed and angry, it's easy to blame incidents in other games. They drive me crazy too. I don't mind losing fair and square but when a mistake is made that costs a team I like, I get pissed, but with all that said, USA shot themselves in the foot with a poor campaign. They had control of their destiny and only needed to secure a win at the worst team in the group in the final match, a draw even would have been enough for 5th but they put in a shocking display, whilst Panama and Honduras played with heart and passion to secure what they needed. Sometimes luck plays a part, like a goal given that shouldn't have been but they should never hve been in that position to begin with. Beaten by Trinidad and Tobago. It's disappointing.

Bruce Arena must go. No excuses are acceptable to lose at Trinidad and Tobago and finish second bottom of the group. USA and Mexico should comfortably finish top 2 in that group. Northern Ireland might still qualify so all is not lost lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am

Saw Ireland upset Wales lol. Chile not making it was hilarious, same with the states getting eliminated Razz COLOMBIA barely made it. Messi literally is the only reason Argentina is moving on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Yeah Republic of Ireland made the playoffs along with Northern Ireland, woohoo! We can't be drawn together though which is a shame. That would have been huge. My friend is from Peru and moved back there a few years ago so I was watching their game and it was up and down but they managed to get a point and made a playoff V New Zealand which they will be favourites for. Glad Chile didn't make it, hate Vidal lol. Not a fan of the South American countries other than Peru lol

I hate Honduras as well lol they will be slight favourites against Australia which sucks, hoping for an Aussie triumph in their playoff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 pm

I cheer for
Belgium
Colombia
Iceland
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Lol Iceland, the smallest nation ever to qualify by population. We (NI) are the smallest to ever qualify twice Razz but not played since 1986. Desperate to be a part of it this time. Belgium is the main team I will cheer for. Lots of Premier League players, Hazard being their main player. This time I'm of the opinion, anyone but the Germans. They are so dominant right now, it's hard to see anyone else winning so literally anybody but them. Spain can challenge, maybe Brazil this time. It's hard to see anyone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Brazil is gonna be favs no?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Hell no, Germany are unreal at the minute, even stronger than when they won it. They played the Confederations Cup in the summer with their B team and won it. They have real strength in depth. Qualified winning all 10 games, scoring 43 goals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm

European Play-Offs:

N.Ireland V Switzerland
Croatia V Greece
Denmark V Rep Ireland
Sweden V Italy

Thoughts? We'll be ready! The Swiss won't know wat's hit em! Laughing I think we have a shot if we can win the home game and take a lead over there to defend. I'd like to see Greece make it but Croatia are the stronger side so I'd probably rather see them come through that tie. I like Denmark and the south are our rivals so come on Denmark Laughing and I like Sweden, but you can't really have a world cup without Italy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm

N Ireland
Croatia
Denmark
Italy

Who I think will win, not who I want necessarily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Picking one country from each qualifying region :

France / Brazil / Senegal / Japan / Mexico

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Neil that Germany are very strong....not that I hold it against them, they're consistently there or thereabouts in every tournament...so it's no fluke!

I hope Denmark make it to the finals, I've watched them a few times this year and I've been impressed.
N.Ireland will find it tough against the Swiss, but who knows ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Our best chance is to win the home leg first, any score will do, even 1-0. We need to take a lead over there for the second leg and then see what happens. Hopefully the noisy Belfast crowd will put them off, the place will be bouncing and we've only lost one competitive home match in 4 years and that was to the Germans. I'm nervous as hell and it's not until November 9th Laughing

They weren't in a strong qualifying group. They only had Portugal to contend with and they beat them 2-0 at home without Ronaldo. They crumbled in the last match away to Portugal, losing 2-0. Other than that they beat weak sides like Latvia and Faroe Islands. We were in a stronger group and conceded fewer goals than them in their weaker group. They don't really have any stand out star players. Shaquiri possibly but he's far too inconsistent. I'm looking at all this through optimistic eyes of course lol down playing what they have, but better them than Italy or Croatia who do possess star players who regularly perform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:15 pm

What happened to LA Galaxy? I don't really follow MLS but I put a bet on Seattle to win their game, the 5th win I needed in my bet and it came in, 2-0 so I won around £35/$46 US/$58 CAN haha. Galaxy were always known as the best team, Beckham and the likes, now they're bottom of their Conference and got hammered 5-1 by Dallas tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Pete limbo, Justin etc, thoughts on that fucking ridiculous penalty award to Switzerland in the first leg of the playoff? Digusted. We played so well tonight as well, full of heart, but it wasn't enough and couldn't get the goal. Once again it comes back to pathetic officials who aren't up to the job and once again I am forced to talk about the need for video referees. Thank the fuck christ it's in development so that shit like this will be prevented. I will accept losing fair and square to a better team, but the fact is they won the game and the tie from a goal that should never have stood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 am

I didn't watch either game, but I did see the incident in question. The funniest of it all is the Swiss who saw nothing wrong with it, of course lol. This is what makes me laugh about sportsmen, they're full of shit and too stupid to realise that we the public, can see right through them lol

I'm hoping Sweden can hold on against the Italians tonight...but most of all, that New Zealand can pull off a miracle on Thursday morning Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

They are a fucking embarrassment how easily they drop and act injured, that "Captain" of theirs was the worst, Liechsteiner or however you spell it, what a joke. We really pushed them second half of the second game, they were pissing their pants, the crowd was silent, we had a header off the line in the last minute. Was heartbreaking to lose but really proud of the second leg performance. I hope they come bottom of their group the pricks.

I'd like to see Sweden win too, but I'd probably lean slightly towards Peru as I have a long time friend who lives there now. He's from there, but lived here for 15 years inwhich I knew him well and now he's back there, but I watched the first game and wasn't impressed with a couple of incients. One was an elbow on the back of a NZ player, the other was play acting that got a player booked for literally nothing, fucking South American teams for you. In fact most seem to do it. Are there any honest countries who don't dive and cheat? NI...lol. I'll be happy either way really.

The one I'm sweating on is Australia V Honduras, PLEASE Australia win. We can't have a world cup without USA, South Africa and Australia. I like these teams and following how they do, their games interest me. Games that don't interest me involve teams from Africa against Asia. Nigeria V South Korea or something, who cares? Lol. Honduras, eww. Australia must make it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

I guess we all have different tastes lol, for example, I would much rather watch Nigeria v South Korea than, let's say, Italy v Russia. At least you know that in the first game teams will actually try to score and be positive.

As for diving and cheating, the South American teams don't have a monopoly on it lol, I remember quite clearly when Slaven Bilic cheated and got Laurent Blanc sent off in the world cup semi-final, which meant the French defender missed the final...or when the Nigerian player got Zola sent off in 1994 with blatant cheating.

I'd like the see the following teams do well, simply because they're the ones I most want to see as they have the potential to play the best football:

France / Colombia / Senegal / Belgium

I have nothing against the Germans, but I fear they will take some stopping, and to be fair, more often than not, they deserve to go far in tournaments
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football (soccer) Discussion Thread   

Back to top Go down

Football (soccer) Discussion Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum for the IMDb Games community :: Other :: Sports-
Jump to: