View user profile Online
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Tough one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Rob Zombie's two Halloween atrocities take the cake for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Anthropophagus 2000, the 1999 remake to Anthropophagus: The Beast (1980). They didn't even set it on an island and they completely left out a lot of the characters of the original, except the pregnant chick whose death is legit one of the nastiest in horror which explains why they kept that character at least. The final boy was halfway decent and made it worth watching; I loved Tisa Farrow's Julie, but she was useless in the original and needed a man to save her even though there was a strength to her that seemed like she would be able to handle her own when push came to shove. Sadly, nope. The 'beast'/killer was pretty much the same between the two films, as the movies covers below both depict.

Still, the remake felt ultra cheap. If the original is considered Italian trash, then the remake is truly bottom-barrel crap. In this movie's defense though, I think it was more a fan film made by lovers of the original film than a cash-in on a successful film's name. I can't say that I'd recommend it to anyone, though... I, however, would recommend the 1980 cult film because it's one of my favorites along with the 1981 slasher/home invasion Absurd (an unofficial sequel) where George Eastman plays the killer in both.

Last edited by A-Supreme on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 pm

The pregnant chick's death in the original *shudders* So gross.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 am

Haha, relax sis.... it was only a skinned rabbit.
Back to top Go down
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:35 pm

lmfao true
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 pm

The In-Crowd. <3333 I so thought Brittany was the next it girl but nope Sad I wanted her  lip balm.

I never DRINK with the HELP *sassy crooked-haired blonde girl moment* It took me like 5 minutes to get that dig. How mean.

I love the Mrs.Voorhees-Alice homage fight scene at the end with the swinging lamp shade and all of the garden tools <3 <3 <3 such a goddess of a movie. I really found the plot deep and engaging  <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Nocturnal Animals (2016)
...may contain spoilers...

Once in a while, I like to take a break from pure horror to watch a drama or a thriller movie. I never read the source material this movie was based on, but seeing the title and the starpower involved, I was intrigued with this nonetheless. In the day after last night's Academy Awards, I decided to devote a few minutes to review Nocturnal Animals, which actor Michael Shannon earned an Oscar nod for. I believe someone also received a Golden Globe for their role in this as well, but I'm too lazy to check who. I admit that I actually saw this last week when it was released on DVD, but I am just getting to reviewing it now. That sort of says something about how I felt about it, but first things first...

An unhappy woman (Amy Adams) is stuck in an marriage with an irrelevant businessman who cheats on her on the reg. So, imagine how interesting her life gets when she receives a copy of an ex-husband's (Jake Gyllenhaal's) book, titled Nocturnal Animals, which she reads all throughout the movie. Slowly but surely, she starts to realize that it's an allegory of her first failed marriage with the author. The book is about a man (also Gyllenhaal) whose family gets kidnapped and murdered, so he teams with a terminally-ill sherriff (Michael Shannon) to exact revenge on the perpetrators. The movie utilizes a "story-inside-a-story" structure, along with incorporating flashback scenes of Adams and Gyllenhaal's characters together back when things were good. Structurally, this was all over the place.

Now, I do think there was a good story somewhere in this cluttered film. I will never read the book, but I'm going to assume that the film was halfway faithful to it. Still, some books just don't translate to film well and that might be the case here. As it looked to me watching the movie, it would've been a much better if Amy Adams's storyline was left out completely just because a revenge film about a man sending his ex-wife a book to show her how much she's hurt him in the past is not only petty, but also boring to us as viewers. I don't remember anything about Adams' in the movie that warranted her being in it at all... in fact, I dare say that the movie wasted her talent if anything. The stuff with Gyllenhaal and Shannon, however, was pretty damn good and was easily the best part of this movie. However, sadly, similar films have been done to death. The book is probably a hell of a lot more successful at juggling all of this baggage than the movie is; books are almost always better than their film adaptations so that's probably what happened here. Bottom line, this film didn't wow me much at all.

Random stuff also didn't make a whole lot of sense either in the movie. The biggest thing was, why were we shown obese naked strippers at the beginning? I expected it to be explained later on in the movie, but explanation never came and if it did, I completely missed it. Maybe it all comes back to the book. Also, Amy Adams seemed somewhat miscast into a role that should've probably gone to an older female. I say this because she has an adult daughter in the movie who was shown naked in bed with her boyfriend and Amy is pretty young herself. Also, I read that the character from the book was supposed to be like 49 years old. So, there's that as well.

I will give it a 6/10 for the talent involved, but that's about it from this guy. If I could do it again, I'd read the book instead.
Back to top Go down
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm

My two cents on the Final Destination series (I watched the first 3 because I never could get my hands on the last 2) is that I would imagine they've come full circle with the movies, so my guess is they'd just reboot it. I'd be opening to seeing an FD6 or FD7 though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm

6! I say 8. It was creepy in parts but yes random timelines etc was confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:11 pm

It was nowhere near an 8 for me, sadly. I wanted to like it. I was half tempted to give it a 7/10, but the more I thought about it after the fact, the more I realized how I didn't really care for it. It's probably more around a 5/10 on the entertainment scale, but the cast was pretty strong so I felt alright giving it a 6/10. I still remember thinking that the titular nocturnal animals were going to be some kind of vampire or something lol. Shows what I knew going into the movie. Laughing

Naked Fear (2007)

I did give a high score tonight to Naked Fear - a surprisingly solid thriller about a stripper having to outsmart a serial killer in a remote region of New Mexico, all the while she was stripped naked and forced to pick up resources along the way to aid in her survival. Our naïve/gullible protagonist starts out as a doe-eyed smalltown girl blackmailed into a life of stripping and prostitution, only to be forced to actually become almost doe/animal-like out in the wildnerness after a customer decides to kidnap her and hunt her down on remote land because that's just what he does... it's his mode of operation and he targets strippers/prostitutes who won't be missed. The movie was wildly entertaining seeing her rise to badassery over the course of her ordeal, and no injury kept this chick from having her day. She didn't even need a man to save her, though a few tried along the way.

I guess it's based loosely on the Alaskan serial killer who would turn his victims loose in the wilderness so that he could hunt them down (see: The Frozen Ground for that full story). Throw in some elements of The Hitcher and Showgirls (yes, I went there) and you've probably got this movie. Time never seemed to drag at all during this one and though there were a few quirks, they seemed to work well enough for me.

I even loved the discount Michelle Rodriguez character who starts out as a total hardass stripper/druggie but grows to be the main character's biggest supporter in absentia which was kinda sweet. 8/10 - I love it when I go into a movie with low expectations and get much better than I was expecting.
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Naked Fear <3 <3 <3 soooo good. I didn't expect to like it all. I also gave it an 8/10. Naked and Afraid totally stole this movie plot for their show, only minus a killer lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Oh weird this moved lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Have any of you guys seen the Scream tv show yet? You are missing out if you haven't. I know G and I have watched it.

It's a hidden gem.

The big beastly blonde girl in the season 2 opener <3 <3 <3 I so wish she would've lived longer she was fucking hilarious. All of my girl friends in school acted like that only using different hip words lol.

Brooke <3
Audrey <3

They should kill off Audrey!! That would make me sad and mad but it won't be as bad as Brooke.  And they don't have the balls to kill Emma. I wish they did but they don't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady911

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I like the Scream tv show. Sometimes a little cheesy but that is some of what I like about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Yeah me too honestly. I appreciate its cheesiness and then how it smacks ya in the face with the brutal horror movie stuff too. At first I thought the tv-acting would bug me but I actually dig it. They managed to repulse and disgust me during both seasons so I have to give it props.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm

If Brooke dies, Imma lose my shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm

It would be so cruel and unnecessary. Sad She's made it so far and has won all of our hearts over. I would legit be mad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey ladies how do I look? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Like a slut Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Trouble.  (what she randomly mumbles when she sees Tina for the first time)
I pale in front of Queen Laurie but I will still fight her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Scream is not on tv here just netflicks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next