brady911

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Here we go with The Langoliers LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

I was curious about The Langoliers. There's a few of those Stephen King adaptations I gotta see; that is one of them, along with Storm of the Century. I just have a few others I gotta see first, but I might pick up the DVD soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Cindyfan wrote:
I don't see jigsaw doing too well sadly. I say a 15 million opening.

I don't get a good feeling about this one either.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 am

I watched Havenhurst, Death Note, and Rings. Girl (Merriska) did you ever end up watching Havenhurst Laughing ? I wish we could've watched it together (I would have made us popcorn <3) so we could've dragged the shit out of it. The ending WAS infuriating and insulting too (see ya!). Death Note wasn't bad. It had a cool soundtrack, visual flair, a nice gloomy atmosphere, and a couple good performances. I've seen the anime as well (I like it) and while all the crap it's getting from fans is fair (it's far from a good adaptation) I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Rings was very bad (it made Havenhurst look like The Shining Laughing ). I can't believe this Paramount!! This is not LIT. Ringu Sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:00 am

After thinking a bit about it, the ending of Havenhurst hits you in the gut just like the ending to The Stepford Wives. You've got your heroine who seems a bit more set up as a stronger female lead, and as she unravels the mystery she's embroiled in, you expect some grand final confrontation between her and the evils involved... only, the movie slaps you in the face and says, "HA! Not this time!" Laughing

The difference, TSW is better scripted and uses its shock ending to drive home its point. It's not fucking with you for the sake of fucking with you. The ending to Havenhurst just seemed cheap to me, almost like they ran out of time to make the movie so they settled for something a bit less than the sum of its parts.

The less said about Rings, the better. If you do watch it, expect a lower-grade, direct-to-video sequel feel to it. Don't watch it expecting anything quality. Because it's not.

Netflix Priority List (as of 9/22/2017)
Death Note
Chloe
The Astronaut's Wife <-What is your take on this one, Bobby? Never even heard of it... :O
A Dark Song
First Born
American Fable
Under the Shadow

Amazon Prime continues to impress. In the last week or so, they've added Society and Bullies to their instant options which are 80's films that would've cost me a small fortune to ever see. Both were very good. The downside seems to be though, as easy as Prime gets stuff, it goes away. I would've liked to have had a chance to see a few of those Blue Underground titles (particularly The Stendhal Syndrome) before they went away. Oh well.

giveup
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

Haha omg I'd absolutely love to see you do a review for The Langoliers Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:50 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
The Astronaut's Wife <-What is your take on this one, Bobby? Never even heard of it... :O

Oh man I saw that a long time ago in theaters with my mom. You and Netflix are bringing me back <3. I remember liking it but it isn't exactly unforgettable Laughing. Astronaut movies were hot in the late 90's because of movies like Armageddon and Species 2 (fierce), but the Astronaut's Wife didn't even make 11 million lol (stay strong). Charlize Theron is probably still waking up with night sweats because of it Laughing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 am

You know me, Neil. I'll get to it once I get my hands on a copy Razz I do think Wal-Mart is selling it in a movie pack with a few others I haven't seen by Stephen King, but I have another movie pack of his stuff (Silver Bullet, The Dead Zone, and Graveyard Shift) that has been languishing on my shelf for way too long. Not that I'm avoiding any of these per se... I just keep forgetting that I have them. I'm especially interested in The Dead Zone, just because I'm on a Cronenberg kick ATM.

and the reason why I kinda wanna see it, Bobby, is because it's described as Rosemary's Baby "with an extrterrestrial twist" which to me sounds like a good thing, no? I'd imagine it being good for 90's fun, at the very worst. Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron usually do a good job, as well.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 am

How many DVDS do you own? Lol have you ever counted? Do you have an entire wall covered with them? Laughing The Langoliers is on Youtube. I love to watch online, just put the earphones in, full screen it and enjoy. Saves me spending money. I don't need to own DVDS, they just take up room and I've no interest in the extra features or physically owning it. I used to but not anymore. If I really loved a movie, I'd get the DVD but otherwise, just watch them online. I have a small collection of DVDs. I got rid of the ones I didn't like and kept the ones I do like.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Dan, our prime is meh, we need Shudder to watch all the arrow's releases which I am tempted to do as they have hundreds of horror movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am

I used to watch stuff online, but honestly I have so much stuff to watch on Netflix and Prime (along with my two movies I get from Netflix DVD at a time) that I never really need to. I will occasionally watch a rare movie on YouTube, mostly if it's downright impossible to find elsewhere. Some titles are not available on any platform and sell for upwards to $50-100 on DVD which is outrageous, far too much to ever consider blind buying. I know I had to do that a month or two ago with Night of the Demons III, which just isn't available anywhere within a reasonable price. The whole movie was on YouTube. The quality was for shit, though... which is another reason why I don't do it much.

I don't really like the whole online thing, far too many shady sites and I like being able to lay down when I watch stuff. Plus, I think some independent film makers intentionally (and wisely) release fucked up versions of their films to troll people who cut corners and watch stuff via torrents and stuff so you're not always watching the right thing. I've never been one of those people to do torrents and stuff... I've always usually stuck to YouTube just because at least I trust that site. I in general don't trust any other website not to give me a virus or fuck up my computer.

I don't mind having a collection of movies. I own pretty much all the Disney movies on VHS, but I won't upgrade or anything because I've held onto them for nostalgic value if nothing else. I have a lot of thriller and horror movies, along with some comedies from the '90s and '00's because that was my favorite at that time.
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

90% of my movies are VHS and 10% DVD Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

I watch movies on putlocker, it's reliable and safe, as far as I know lol have done for years. It's where I will see IT once it's on there, usually takes a couple of months for a decent version to be put on, otherwise it's shitty versions filmed from inside the cinema lol no thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm

47 Meters Down vs. Bloodworx tonight. Can't seem to pick my poison for tonight and I have a work meeting that's expected to run late so I can't watch both.

The calamity! sad
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Which one is more fun?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I vote for 47 meters down because I like the title better lol story sounds fun too but how much dialogue could there be? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm

I watched 47 Meters Down last night! It was kinda awesome. I think I liked it a bit more than The Shallows, though I gave them the same score (7). The sisters were likable and I just love the underwater setting. Dan you'll be really happy to know I also watched Sole Survivor. I really liked it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm

yay bobby <3 I'm gonna stalk your IMDb ratings right nao.

I settled on Bloodworx but I admit I'm only 46 minutes in. What happened is that our backroom where we have our meetings is always so horrifically cold. So, I come back and I just started shivering and freezing so I needed to stop the movie and lay under the covers to warm up. I really hope that I'm not coming down with something because I have a long weekend coming up after tomorrow. I finally got into my sweat suit (best money ever spent IMO) and I'm doing better.

I was really enjoying it to the point I was at. No spoilers ofc. I can see why Garrett really likes it; his boytoy Travis Van Winkle is in it, but I'm enjoying the intermix of comedy and horror. ^_^

I've heard surprisingly good things about 47 Meters Down so I'm excited. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 am

aww I can make you some chicken soup if you ever come down with anything (it will be Campbells Laughing) even though it doesn't do shit lol. We can also watch Satan's Little Helper or Hellbent to get us into the Halloween spirit (October is right around the corner.)

Has anyone seen Drifter?? Maybe it was the "cool" "hip" "trendy" vibe, but something stylistically about it irritated me and it just seemed pretentious. The actors mumbled their way through the entire duration and the score was pounding. The best thing about it was Aria Emory (the lead), but the other actors were a -10. One of most insufferable and worst "horror" movies I've seen in a while. Maybe even marginally worse than Rings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:08 am

I can go for Campbell's right now. I haven't settled on what to have for breakfast. I'm not freezing anymore but I am achy and my ear is pounding. I just took some Alka Seltzer.

Good call on Satan's Little Helper and Hellbent. <3333 We might as well throw in Scare Zone and Trick 'R Treat and make it a marathon Smile

I've heard pretty bad things about Drifter, you're talking the one that's on Netflix I'm assuming?
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Yeah the Netflix one. I forgot that there's a few horror/thrillers with that title haha. The 1988 film (The Drifter) starring Kim Delaney and Miles O' Keeffe is actually pretty good. Netflix is disappointing me so hard Sad. I also watched Beyond the Gates and Gerald's Game. Beyond the Gates had a great premise and a really likable cast, but it wasn't executed well at all (the game itself was such a letdown). Gerald's Game was good (good), but I didn't think it captured the terror of King's novel. It's getting great reviews so it might be just me. I still liked it though! The cast was really good.

Yas Trick 'R Treat!!

Last edited by Shred on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady911

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Seen this today for the first time thought I would share
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:46 am

I'm still a bit put off of Netflix's original movies ever since Mercy, a movie that started out so well and then just descended into a complete, steaming pile of crap.  Death Note at least fared better, though I think it can only be truly enjoyed in a campy, throwback Wishmaster sort of way. There's some fun to be had for horror aficionados , but it probably won't win any major awards with anyone else.

Misty, that Jason segment was dope. Laughing I've watched it a few times, myself. Razz
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 am

Haha Arsenio! It's Arsenio! It's common with masked serial killers, they aren't the most chatty beings on the planet Laughing have honestly not seen much of any Friday the 13th movie (though I love the Kevin  Bacon death in the first lol). Where does Jason rank as a killer? That'd be a good one for ranking. The top 5-10 best masked serial killers Laughing

Lets see, what have I seen. Scream, Texas Chainsaw, does I know what you did last summer count as masked? Urban Legend? Halloween, Valentine Laughing the baby mask.

Has anyone seen Wilderness? It's a British horror, pretty light horror but it's got the blood and guts Laughing I saw it years ago and really enjoyed it for a low budget movie. Was solid all round. There's also a girl in it from here who my friend knew. Here's the trailer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm

I think the fisherman from IKWYDLS would go with the rest of the flock. He was silent, masked, and carried a sharp object to kill people with. Scary mofo, too. anguish

I think the difference between the 80s masked killer and those in the 90s is that the 70s/80s killers were monsters, abominations whose identities were usually known. We knew who Michael, Leatherface, and Jason were, but they wore a mask because they were screwed up children (in mind, not body) who felt more in their perverse element behind a mask.

Starting with Scream, the masked-killers kind of returned to the style of the "giallo", which incorporated more of a mysterious element. A character shows up as themselves during a plot, and then turns up being the masked killer at the end with usually some fucked-up motive for killing. The slashers that came after Scream followed this idea, as well.

I'll have to think of a ranking of some sort, though I do think the fisherman probably scared me the most of any of them just because IKWYDLS was probably my first slasher film ever aside from Child's Play. lol I still pull for Jason the most of any of them though... he's always been consistent, at least when Paramount had the franchise.

I wasn't a huge fan of Wilderness, mostly because I didn't care about any of the characters aside from the one who met an early demise because the movie decided it wanted to kill off the obvious 'final girl' first. That does work out well sometimes, but not when she was really the only one with rooting value. pale The rest just seemed overtly bitchy and douchey, especially that awful Steven character. Make sense given that they were all delinquents, but oyyyy. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next