HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Horror Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed May 31, 2017 12:40 am

Merriska, you're such a sweet angel <3 <3. You should play more Oregon Trail!! I'd love to follow some more. Oh and stay strong against those derpy looking mascots lol. Let's all stick with Mario.

Murder by Numbers (2002) is underrated. Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, and Michael Pitt are all great. I know I shouldn't care about rotten tomatoes, but I usually like to check there after I watch a film (then I'll read Roger Ebert's review), and I noticed the critics were super tough around the late 90's and early 2000's. A 31 percent?? That's nearing Adam Sandler numbers! Now they give a movie like The Shallows (which is fine) a 77 percent, and a movie like Deep Blue Sea, which I think is better, gets a 57 (not bad, but still rotten). I've just noticed this trend lately after I watch a film from around this time that I've never seen before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed May 31, 2017 5:53 am

Though police procedural crime thrillers never really went out of style, there was definitely an influx of those crime thrillers about serial killers after the success of the likes of Se7en and Fargo so I'm sure by 2002 people's tastes were wanting for something else. What it ended up being? Saw in 2004, which put you squarely in the victims' shoes and had a killer with a different kind of M.O. And thus was born a new franchise. What I always found fascinating about Saw was just how the critics tried to bog it down with poor reviews (the best movie got like 48% rotten on RT), but people still loved it and it went on to become a seven-movie franchise. It managed to be grossly fascinating, hugely successful, yet managed to avoid being labeled a critical darling at the same time. So it really can't be considered overrated, if you think about it.

Movies like this sort of defy sites like Rotten Tomatoes... sometimes critics as talented as they are in matters of cinema are totally out of touch with what people really want. Saw doesn't have a 7.7/10 on IMDb for no reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed May 31, 2017 10:53 am

Shred wrote:
Murder by Numbers (2002) is underrated. Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling, and Michael Pitt are all great. I know I shouldn't care about rotten tomatoes, but I usually like to check there after I watch a film (then I'll read Roger Ebert's review), and I noticed the critics were super tough around the late 90's and early 2000's. A 31 percent?? That's nearing Adam Sandler numbers! Now they give a movie like The Shallows (which is fine) a 77 percent, and a movie like Deep Blue Sea, which I think is better, gets a 57 (not bad, but still rotten). I've just noticed this trend lately after I watch a film from around this time that I've never seen before.

I'm another who will read Rotten Tomatoes for some films. I did this some back in 2015 when I uncertain of movie. But yeah, critics and Rotten Tomatoes are taken way too seriously, and more than they should. Some people have even called the 1990's "The Dark Ages of Cinema", and critics and RT will be used as a source for that.

I will say though that "Deep Blue Sea", if it's the movie you're talking about, was a movie I ended up watching as a kid and really enjoyed it as a kid, but as an adult, it didn't stand the test of time very well. I think if I rated it now, it'd be a 5.5 or a 6 out of 10 because I did still in the end like it, but not nearly as much as I might have as a kid. If I ended sharing the same opinion as you then if I watched The Shallows, then I might be in for a doozy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Shred wrote:
Merriska, you're such a sweet angel <3 <3. You should play more Oregon Trail!! I'd love to follow some more. Oh and stay strong against those derpy looking mascots lol. Let's all stick with Mario.

Since you requested it, I may do another one and you'll have an automatic spot in the wagon lol.

Rotten Tomatoes does tend to be very harsh with horror, I guess because they're very linear minded and have less tolerance for horror shenanigans that don't add up or have some plotholes here and there. I used to look up movies all the time and if something I liked wasn't fresh I would be legit hurt lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 am

A-Supreme wrote:
Though police procedural crime thrillers never really went out of style, there was definitely an influx of those crime thrillers about serial killers after the success of the likes of Se7en and Fargo so I'm sure by 2002 people's tastes were wanting for something else. What it ended up being? Saw in 2004, which put you squarely in the victims' shoes and had a killer with a different kind of M.O. And thus was born a new franchise. What I always found fascinating about Saw was just how the critics tried to bog it down with poor reviews (the best movie got like 48% rotten on RT), but people still loved it and it went on to become a seven-movie franchise. It managed to be grossly fascinating, hugely successful, yet managed to avoid being labeled a critical darling at the same time. So it really can't be considered overrated, if you think about it.

Movies like this sort of defy sites like Rotten Tomatoes... sometimes critics as talented as they are in matters of cinema are totally out of touch with what people really want. Saw doesn't have a 7.7/10 on IMDb for no reason.

I think what gets people about Saw is that ending with that music and that twist. I'm probably not as big of a fan of the series as you are (though I like them very much), but Saw is a very good movie. Dan, speaking of 2004, can we talk about another movie that came out that year that only has a 33 percent on rotten tomatoes, but a 7.7 on IMDB just like Saw?? The Butterfly Effect!! I cherish that movie <3. I'm pretty sure it's the only good movie Ashton Kutcher has done? So, so unfairly maligned at the time of release. I'm always a bit surprised when I see its IMDB rating, but it deserves it just like Saw. You can't hold a good movie down <3. It's too bad Hostel isn't even in the 6.0's. That one actually has a 61 percent on rotten tomatoes lol. It's all so messed up!! Poor Turistas though (nobody seems to love that one)

Last edited by Shred on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:28 am

Actor crush of the week :Gael García Bernal circa 2000 Amores Perros. Caliente <3 Susana you're so dumb!! Okay we can get back to talking about horror movies now lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 am

I'm sure Hostel will work its way up there eventually. It won't ever reach the 7s, but I'm positive it'll reach the 6's someday. It was at 5.8/10 when I saw it so it has gone up slightly over time.

I liked The Butterfly Effect, but I need to rewatch it hence the reason I haven't rated it yet. I haven't seen it since like 2009/2010 - it was definitely during my college days. Its IMDb rating does surprise me, I had no idea that it was that high but I recall it being a decent little flick so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at all. I haven't seen either sequel yet.
Amy Smart<3 and how she still pops up in horror movies these days. I started liking her back in the non-horror Rat Race which came out in 2001. And of course Ashton Kutcher was pretty good as well. I never minded him much as an actor, though I admittedly haven't seen him in very much. He played to type in Just Married (one of my favorite rom-coms coming out of the early 2000s), which is a movie that I really need to track down to own again. I owned a copy back when it originally came out but it ~disappeared~ over time from my collection. Funny how that happens. lol

I'm sure that kind of role is what Ashton was trying to shed when he agreed to star in The Butterfly Effect, but I liked him in both.

Turistas pale At least it did have Melissa George in it, but just the thought of this one makes me ill.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:02 am

I love Hostel, especially the end in the tube station bathroom. I was pure cheering, yeahhhh get him!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 am

A-Supreme wrote:
I'm sure Hostel will work its way up there eventually. It won't ever reach the 7s, but I'm positive it'll reach the 6's someday. It was at 5.8/10 when I saw it so it has gone up slightly over time.

I liked The Butterfly Effect, but I need to rewatch it hence the reason I haven't rated it yet. I haven't seen it since like 2009/2010 - it was definitely during my college days. Its IMDb rating does surprise me, I had no idea that it was that high but I recall it being a decent little flick so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at all. I haven't seen either sequel yet.
Amy Smart<3 and how she still pops up in horror movies these days. I started liking her back in the non-horror Rat Race which came out in 2001. And of course Ashton Kutcher was pretty good as well. I never minded him much as an actor, though I admittedly haven't seen him in very much. He played to type in Just Married (one of my favorite rom-coms coming out of the early 2000s), which is a movie that I really need to track down to own again. I owned a copy back when it originally came out but it ~disappeared~ over time from my collection. Funny how that happens. lol

I'm sure that kind of role is what Ashton was trying to shed when he agreed to star in The Butterfly Effect, but I liked him in both.

Turistas  pale  At least it did have Melissa George in it, but just the thought of this one makes me ill.

I remember how happy I was when Scream 2 finally found it's way in the 6.0's after being at a 5.9 for the longest time. What was that anyways?? Scream 2 is obviously amazing and the best sequel Scream could have asked for; there are days when I like it more than the first!! It's just a little bit more exciting? Gene Siskel thought the film was written better than the first film, so there are people out there who do or did think Scream 2 was just as good or better than the original. I get that the first film is the first film and has that opening with Drew Barrymore, but that movie theater opening is pretty great too. I think a 6.1 is still too low.
You're right Dan, Hostel will for sure get in the 6.0's at some point. It will be well deserved too.

lol Dan I think you've mentioned Rat Race before <33. You're so great. I rented that once when it first came out on VHS, and remember thinking it was a lot of fun. I don't remember anything about it though. It came out in 2001, so I was probably too busy watching Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo for the 100th time when I was in the mood for something funny. I love that movie <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 am

I rate Scream and Scream 2 the same, 10/10 lol not sure why it's so low, it was every bit as good as the first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm of the opinion that Scream 2 is a better film, but it doesn't surprise me that it's got relatively low rating. Believe it or not, there are some people who don't care for it at all. The largest complaint I hear is that the two killers are a bit too random which I can't really argue against. Mickey the red herring was still a bit too UTR and underdeveloped for the revelation to be really that shocking (not to mention that his association with Mrs. Loomis was written pretty poorly as well - a serial killer website???). And though the idea of Mrs. Loomis wanting revenge made sense, she too was also a bit random as well in that she was not mentioned at all in the second movie. And we can't forget to mention the plot hole of Gale not recognizing her whatsoever... they tried to explain it away in that she lost weight and got work done, but even I found that hard to believe. Gale just seemed too savvy to let that little detail slip by.

Considering the rewrites that had to occur due to script leaking, I'm pretty forgiving though especially considering it could have been much worse. The original killers were pretty lame. It was originally going to be Hallie and Derrick (Sid's man... again) working with Mrs. Loomis, with Cotton wanting revenge on Sidney after those three got killed off. I think the characters were still the same, just different actors playing them. For instance, I think the original script called for Hallie to be with Mickey (it was only hinted at in the final film) while Derrick was still supposed to be with Sidney. The "I Think I Love You" song was supposed to be sung by Mickey to Hallie, not Sid. Jerry O'Connell was always supposed to sing that sequence which makes me think he was originally cast as Mickey. So, if I understand it right, Neve Campbell was with Timothy Olyphant who was always going to play the crazy one. Just my suspicion. Just saying this so that you avoid thinking of it in terms of Jerry O'Connell playing the killer because I don't think that was in the cards. Ever.

One last point before I shut up (lol @ this post looking so obese)... some of the victims in Scream 2 weren't as well connected to the main group - Cici in particular. The first one just seemed to have a coherent group... even randoms like Kenny were connected to Gale who was connected to Sidney, whereas the second one seemed to go off-track a bit. I think part of the problem here was that Sarah Michelle Gellar was so busy and they went all out to get squeeze her into this movie, even if her character didn't even know Sidney, Gale, or Dewey and shared class only with Randy. At least make her a flirtation or Randy's best shot of getting laid so that it hurt to see her go. lol. It's only a small complaint really, but a lot of time was spent on her death scene and it just kind of bothered me that it could've packed more of a punch if she was connected better somehow to the group. For what it was, Cici's death scene really felt like an opening kill, but even that would have been a problem because then the amazing theater scene wouldn't have been there and it would've been too similar to Drew Barrymore's opening death in the original.

The best part of the theater kills of Scream 2? The fact that it led to the glorious Brenda scene in Scary Movie. It's good by its own merits, but it does have a bigger purpose beyond the scope of this movie alone. You ain't know that! Razz
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Betsy Palmer wasn't even shown in the original Friday the 13th until the films climax, and that movie is obviously a classic :p. I see what you're saying about Mickey and Mrs.Loomis though, but I see it more like a Tina Wesson "the dog that didn't bark" situation. Billy and Stu were so obviously the killer's in the first film, so the sequel tried to switch things up and hide their identities and make it much less obvious. Laurie Metcalf was also winning a bunch of Emmy's at the time for Roseanne, so obviously there was a reason why Debbie Salt was in the film.
I didn't mind that all the characters weren't so well connected (though for the most part they were?) because Mickey and Mrs.Loomis were trying to recreate Woodsboro and the names matching up perfectly to the core cast would have been so contrived. I'm not sure where Cici would have fit in more either?? The movie was already a bit long (though never had any real pacing problems), so it would have been unnecessary and potentially plodding to have her in the film more. I'm not sure if I would have believed her and Randy as a potential couple either. Love you Jamie Kennedy <3 <3. I guess they could have had her and Mickey as an item though?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 pm

I didn't mind Mickey and Mrs. Loomis as the killers personally; I just know of a few people who didn't like the movie because of this. I always felt like it made sense for Mrs. Loomis to stalk Sidney from the shadows, so she infused herself into the mystery by staying close to Gale instead of Sidney who definitely would have recognized her instantly. Some people just didn't buy into this much at all... probably the same people who didn't like that Betsy Palmer wasn't introduced before being revealed as the F13th killer (there's a good number who didn't like that either... Betsy Palmer included). As for Mickey, he was introduced as a film clown and they did attempt halfheartedly to sort of make him a nice guy, but he does disappear after a certain point where his revelation wasn't a real shock. On the bright side, Timothy Olyphant and Laurie Metcalf both BROUGHT it in their reveal scenes though, as did Neve Campbell. Two final girl vs. killer matches in same movie makes up for any weaknesses IMHO <3<3

The Cici bit was more of a personal thing. I like Sarah Michelle Gellar but the movie could have gone on without her and been all the better for it; maybe cast a cute little adorkable actress (why not someone like Alyson Hannigan?) and paired her with Jamie Kennedy's adorkable Randy and it could have worked just as well. Just a harmless idea... don't hate me! D: Gellar had a much stronger presence in I Know What You Did Last Summer and her Cici in Scream 2 always felt a bit derivative of Helen for me. Controversial opinion, I know.... sorry. pale Another problem is that it never really made much sense why Mrs. Loomis would take such an active part in this particular death. At least Phil and Maureen's sort of sets the stage of the mystery... Cici's still seems a bit odd. I get the names thing, but Mrs. Loomis (who was more fueled by revenge against Woodsboro survivors) goes such a long way to play a part in Mickey's delusions for a grandiose killing that doesn't really affect Sidney much personally. Just kinda weird... probably thinking way too much into it. lol

You're definitely right that the pacing was pretty good in Scream 2, especially compared to the first which lagged for a time there to focus on character development and set things up for a bloody finale. The second is by far my favorite of the four films and always has been... I just recognize that it's got its weaknesses too and I like to think of scenarios where it could have been made better. Razz
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:08 am

Dan just dropping the truth bombs!! I mean Sarah Michelle Gellar is obviously all are muses, and I make sure to check the mirror everyday before I leave the house to make sure I'm as hot as her, but Cici is definitely overrated (god of atheism forgive me for my sins). Dan that was very brave of you to admit <3. I luv, luv, luv your idea of bringing in Willow as a replacement for Gellar and a potential love interest for Randy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:15 am

Icarus_Mark wrote:
Shred wrote:

I'm another who will read Rotten Tomatoes for some films.  I did this some back in 2015 when I uncertain of movie.  But yeah, critics and Rotten Tomatoes are taken way too seriously, and more than they should.  Some people have even called the 1990's "The Dark Ages of Cinema", and critics and RT will be used as a source for that.

I will say though that "Deep Blue Sea", if it's the movie you're talking about, was a movie I ended up watching as a kid and really enjoyed it as a kid, but as an adult, it didn't stand the test of time very well.  I think if I rated it now, it'd be a 5.5 or a 6 out of 10 because I did still in the end like it, but not nearly as much as I might have as a kid.  If I ended sharing the same opinion as you then if I watched The Shallows, then I might be in for a doozy.

Mark (my new friend Icarus), I think you might like The Shallows. Do you like shark movies?? It looks good and has a very good performance from Blake Lively. It's just a bit more standard than the critics made it out to be? The last five or ten minutes are completely ridiculous too, and the shark looks no better than the fake ones from Deep Blue Sea back in the late 90's. I know Deep Blue Sea isn't a masterpiece, but there's nothing (for me) in the Shallows that comes close to those scenes involving Stellan Skarsgard, or that jump scene with Samuel L Jackson. Saffron Burrows is also a better and more interesting lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:03 am

I echo the comments about The Shallows. I appreciate that the movie exists of course, but the idea that it's a critical darling confounds me as well. It's standard in a good way, but I wouldn't say that it's above the crop by any stretch of the imagination. I guess the critics were just ready for a man vs. beast flick at that point of time.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:30 pm

So, I was looking at your IMDB profile again Dan (I love it tons <3), and I'm curious why you were so lukewarm on the Slumber Party Massacre series (a series I love very, very much)? Before you tell me though, let me just say that I saw the Slumber Party Massacre for the first time probably 10 years ago (though I had seen the series at my local video store growing up and saw the fantastic Brinks Stevens chase scene years before I had actually seen the entire film) and I was terribly disappointed in the film. However I have watched it since maybe three or four more times, and now I fucking love it. The score is good, the humor is well balanced and feels realistic without ever fully crossing over into parody (it was written to be one, but filmed straight which gives it this real interesting vibe that works so well), and it's pretty remarkable how the film doesn't even run 80 minutes, but still has a beginning, a middle, and an end. It's fast paced and really likable, so Dan if you have only seen it once (I'm not sure if this was a first time watch or if you have seen it before) please give it another chance or two at some point because it gets better each and every time. Slumber Party Massacre II I didn't like at all (I thought it took far too long to get going), but I watched that one again maybe a year or two ago and I like it much more now. Slumber Party Massacre 3 I remember being incredibly underrated, and the killer was pretty fucked up if I remember correctly?? It's been a while, but I remember it getting dark towards the end and the killer was really disturbed and how he went on his final massacre during the last 15 minutes was just unsettling to me.
You giving The Lost Boys an 8 <33
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 pm

I found the series on the whole to be a bunch of mindless slashing, much like the Sorority House Massacre franchise was and the movies in that franchise got 5/10, 7/10 (the OTT shameless nudity made me laugh so hard by the third showering chick), and 4/10 so it wasn't much better off than this one. I think I'll like the SPM movies a lot more on rewatches, but as first-time views, there really wasn't much new brought that I haven't seen before. I feel like I would love the films more if I had seen them long ago, but having seen most of these movies for the first time recently, there were times where I was bored with the overall familiarity.
And though I like 80s slashers generally, I still gave a vast majority of them 5s or 6s, with the ones with better characters/killers/suspense getting 7s and my favorites getting 8s (American Gothic, Scarecrows, & Just Before Dawn). But I do feel like I am a tough grader on them for some reason. Probably because there' so many of them.

Slumber Party Massacre 1 had the best killer takedown. Valerie & Courtney's sisterhood <3 Valerie being an overall badass <333
Slumber Party Massacre 2 had pretty good character development (but, as you said, took its sweet time to get going). However, it also utilizes that annoying "All Just A Dream" trope as well so I can't get behind it completely.
Slumber Party Massacre 3 continued the trend of the first two, but I'm not entirely sure why the killer was, well, crazy and wanted to kill the group of girls he did. And the poor pizza girl. lol.

I didn't dislike the movies (any rating below 5 is when I flatout didn't care much for a movie - 5 is basically just my middleroad don't hate it/don't love it score), I just didn't feel like they delivered a lot of suspense with the exception of the first in the locker-room chase. And sometimes the scripts made no sense. However, I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting more than what I exactly got from the movies as well? I'll definitely check them out again in the future, though. With a few beers, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:38 am

I don't drink and love these films sober, so what does that say about me <3?
Sorority House Massacre is forgettable. Sorority House Massacre 2 is a bit better, but Hard to Die is so, so bad. The Slumber Party Massacre movies however are banging, and the first is actually sorta smart how it takes on feminism with the killers drill obviously being his penis and the emasculation of him when they chop it off taking away his manhood and his power (grim, but there was thought put into it).
80's slashers are just like a cool, rainy October night for me (with flashing jack o lanterns and creaking houses <33), and I've loved them for the longest time. 1980-1984 were the four best years for the sub genre IMO. I'll do a quick rank of my top 5 from each of those years.

5.Don't Go in the Woods..Alone
4.Dressed to Kill
3.Prom Night
2.Terror Train
1.Friday the 13th

5.Happy Birthday to Me
4.Final Exam
3.Halloween II
2.My Bloody Valentine
1.The Burning

5.Death Valley
4.Unhinged
3.Visiting Hours
2.Slumber Party Massacre
1.Friday the 13th Part 3

5.Psycho II
4.Curtains
3.The Final Terror
2.The House on Sorority Row
1.Sleepaway Camp

5.The Initiation
4.Fatal Games
3.A Nightmare on Elm Street
2.Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
1.Silent Night, Deadly Night

1981 was really hard since I wanted to include Hell Night, Just Before Dawn, and Graduation Day, but I couldn't knock off any of the five I listed. X Ray just missed the cut for 1982, and I did consider putting Scalps in my top 5 for 1983, but that would probably be pushing it for that movie lol. My top 3 for 1980 changes all the time. Prom Night used to be my number 1, but I have seen it so many times, so I need a little break from it. I still love it a lot though, and I'll never forget that night back in the late 90's (probably 1999) where I saw the last 45 minutes on tv for the first time. Mother's Day, The Boogeyman, He Knows You're Alone, and New Year's Evil could all be in my top 5 for 1980 too, but Don't Go in the Woods is just so hilarious and drunk <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am

My favourite movie moment ever is from Silent Night, Deadly Night 2....Garbage Day! BANG Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 am

Omg Curtains <3 I loved that you reminded me of this movie and how I still can't watch my copy of the bluray because my stupid PS3 won't read the disc. I actually feel like this one should be considered a bonafide horror classic rather than just another early 80s slasher. It just has that "true-blue horror" vibe of doom to it... you know, like something that would come out of the 70s? It even has that effective downer ending, as well.

:PNeil, I just watched Puppet Master 8: The Legacy the other day and that one reminded me a lot of Silent Night, Deadly Night 2, but without a Garbage Day scene. So naturally that means that it was shit. ^_^ I think the similarity lies in how flashback-heavy both movies were, but I actually did like a few bits of SN,DN2, enough so for me to give it a 5/10.

I just rewatched this gem the other night and I gave it an extra point (8/10). I'd be comfortable recommending it to anybody who wants to watch something similar to Halloween - this movie was obviously a homage to that in the style. Good movie.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am

Bobby,

Hell House LLC is now for free viewing on Amazon Prime.
Legitimately spooky for a found-footage movie.
Highly recommended - watch it now before it goes away.

Back to top Go down
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Shred wrote:
Icarus_Mark wrote:
Shred wrote:

I'm another who will read Rotten Tomatoes for some films.  I did this some back in 2015 when I uncertain of movie.  But yeah, critics and Rotten Tomatoes are taken way too seriously, and more than they should.  Some people have even called the 1990's "The Dark Ages of Cinema", and critics and RT will be used as a source for that.

I will say though that "Deep Blue Sea", if it's the movie you're talking about, was a movie I ended up watching as a kid and really enjoyed it as a kid, but as an adult, it didn't stand the test of time very well.  I think if I rated it now, it'd be a 5.5 or a 6 out of 10 because I did still in the end like it, but not nearly as much as I might have as a kid.  If I ended sharing the same opinion as you then if I watched The Shallows, then I might be in for a doozy.

Mark (my new friend Icarus), I think you might like The Shallows. Do you like shark movies?? It looks good and has a very good performance from Blake Lively. It's just a bit more standard than the critics made it out to be? The last five or ten minutes are completely ridiculous too, and the shark looks no better than the fake ones from Deep Blue Sea back in the late 90's. I know Deep Blue Sea isn't a masterpiece, but there's nothing (for me) in the Shallows that comes close to those scenes involving Stellan Skarsgard, or that jump scene with Samuel L Jackson. Saffron Burrows is also a better and more interesting lead.

I don't watch a lot of shark movies, but the ones I have watched, I can safely say that even though it's not my go-to for entertainment, there's plenty types of movies I'd much less rather watch. So with that said, I'd have to look for The Shallows some time now that you recommend it to me. If I can sit through Sharktopus and Sharknado and not completely hate either one despite how ridiculous both are, I think I could probably more than deal with The Shallows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Speaking of shark movies, I feel like I am the only one really excited for 47 Meters Down...

I'm hoping for a thriller as good as Frozen (2010), though I'd be alright if it was similar to 247°F or Altitude which aren't nearly as good but still entertaining. At least in terms of beautiful young adults finding themselves in life-or-death situations.

Could be a fun one, even if Rotten Tomatoes rakes it through the coals.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 pm

I saw a preview for 47 Meters Down a couple weeks ago and I want to see it too!! lol Yani Gellman is in too (I just noticed). Is this his big return to horror? Have we found out yet how old he actually is? It still hasn't sunk in that he's only 31. Don't think I've forgotten this controversy which was left unanswered earlier in this thread.

Dan, thank you for that recommendation. I will watch it as soon as possible and get back to you. I'm also gonna watch Morgan soon, so keep a look out for that too. Hell House LLC looks really promising. Could go for watching a good found footage movie. I'm trying to think of the last good one I've seen actually? It was probably back in last October or something. Let me look real quick. Devil's Due was the last one I saw; I didn't like that one at all. The Houses October Built was before it meh. I guess the last good one I saw was The Gallows. I liked it at least (I gave it a 6, but I think it's underrated).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next