AuthorMessage
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 am

Heroes in a half shell, TURTLE POWER!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HarleyStodden

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:42 am

Deep Rising, I can't say I even remember half of that movie. I do remember that one scene where the girl runs into the bathroom and then gets eaten. It is all a bit of a blur, but yes I agree - Ghost Ship was probably the strongest out of the three. Mainly because the cast is strong, Emily Browning was a great child actress - I am surprised her later career didn't have much success. Maybe Sucker Punch really hurt her.

I remember reading something ages ago about Final Destination and the fan fiction was pretty good. There was one that I kind of remember being about the main character being responsible for people's deaths after the accident. I think one was a fireman slips on something while hosing a fire, when he slips the water hits one of the characters sending them flying onto a sharp object - impaling them. The thing was that the item he slipped on was dropped by the main character, meaning he/she was actually working as death's assistant without truly knowing. I always thought that would of been a good twist for one of the movies.

However I do think they started to loose steam - the whole beauty of the franchise is to make us look at everyday items differently (sunbeds, drive-thru's, elevators etc.) I found that while the series got older the deaths became less relatable (uneven bars, eye correction surgery, acupuncture). They need to go back to basics and use everyday scenarios or objects - I mean how they haven't thought of killing someone with revolving doors is beyond me.

Everyday Items That Can Easily Kill:
Revolving Doors
Dishwashers/Washing Machines
Showers (think boiling hot water and a trapped shower door)
Fan (how have they not had someones hair trapped in a fan is beyond me)
Blenders
Cigarettes (does anyone remember that Mindhunters death scene?)

y'all can carry on, I am sure we are all guilty of imagining one Final Destination death scene at least once...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 am

I've seen all 3 of those movies and am most familiar with Virus lol so I like it best Laughing haha Donald Sutherland's horrendous Irish accent is so lulz. I rememer thinking Ghost Ship was a steaming pile of turd and Deep Rising wasn't much better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 am

The random extra who got a pretty showy death scene in Deep Rising <3

Mindhunters was a lot of fun. Some of those death scenes were pretty elaborate and definitely reminiscent of Final Destination. Never really picked up on the comparison until you mentioned the two together.

I knew that there was another one set at sea that we've neglected to mention that was actually pretty solid and worked well as a horror movie. After looking it up, I found that it was called Below which is more a period horror set on a submarine. It's not really memorable but I recall really liking it. It had a few young hunks (for the time) like Matthew Davis and Scott Foley in it, and there was a lot of chauvinism directed toward the female heroine because of the whole dated "women onboard=bad luck" superstition. I think this kind of gets lost of the shuffle because it left the fun at the door and tried to work as a serious horror movie. It probably would've been a success back in the 60s or 70s when horror was at its most serious, not during an era of flashy blockbusters and epic love stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Was the bitches in horror list like horror bad girls that had sex and were super mean? I'd assume that from the title but some people use bitches now as a word that means you're badass so it could apply to final girls too. I'm probably overthinking Laughing And I like the IMDB laughing guy so much better than this guy, he ain't cute.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 pm

omg I LOVE Scissors. I've only seen it once but I remember every detail lol. Bobby <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
I didn't like Deadly Blessing Sad

And sorry about the Black Christmas date that I missed lol. I try to reply quickly otherwise I shamelessly notice them like months later like Mark's that I just saw the other day (not the Hail to the Guardians of the Watchtowers one the one before that lmao). I think I had the sound off when Mark texted me so I didn't even know I had it. You know I love you guys. Usually I'm pretty tired at night cause I smoke and it makes me sleepy Wink so I'll have to plan it to where I smoke after the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Deep Rising will always have a special place in my heart cause it has Famke goddess in it.

I just found out recently that her name is pronounced FAWMKUH YANSEN.

I started the new Bates Motel season last night. Looking forward to the actual Psycho plot being in the show now. Rihanna is in it <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

The ranking that Tyler did was actual bitches, no badassery required. I remember he had listed Rachel Blanchard's character The Rage: Carrie 2 and Elsa in I Know What You Did Last Summer. It was a really good ranking, too. I'm sure it was done because the Hangout basically worshipped OTTN bitch Melissa from F13th Part VII: New Blood around the time.

If I did a similar ranking, I would add Sasha Grey's character in Would You Rather and Haylie Duff's from Home Invasion. I'd probably make room for the wicked trio (Jena Malone/Abbey Lee/Bella Heathcote) from The Neon Demon, as well. Oh, and Dollface from The Funhouse Massacre was so deliciously evil.

Definitely no shortage of mean girls in horror/thriller. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:53 pm

I think I also had Leah Pipes on it <3. From Sorority Row. And Dan I like the original as well, since I wanted to comment back when you commented about it on imdb. But awe yah I totally remember that ranking now. I worked really hard on it Smile Melissa/Grace <3333
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 pm

LOL not surprised by that, she was fantastic as well as Vicky.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 am

My first legit review on the new site. I have added my IMDb ratings profile to my WWW link below so if you ever feel so inclined, feel free to click on it and check them out since I never shared it publicly with the games board while the site's messageboards were running. I added Garrett and Kevin's links to my priority bookmarks because I am always stalking their rankings, but I request that if you guys do rate stuff, please add your IMDb profile to your website area because it's impossible to search you otherwise. IMDb is so wonderful to its users, right? Rolling Eyes Anyway, I haven't decided on a new format for my reviews, but I do want to keep them on point and brief. I do think I am going to be adding more pictures (even at the risk of broken links - hellllloooooo Tinypic) but might as well make the most of forum life as we all adapt to life outside IMDb.

Onto my review...

Jack Goes Home (2016)

The first movie I will talk about is Jack Goes Home, starring Rory Culkin and directed by Thomas Dekker (yes, the one from movies such as Laid to Rest and the Elm Street remake). The basic plot had two parents getting into a car wreck and the dad dying, which prompts their son (Culkin) to go home, where he is forced to confront some fucked up stuff that happened in the past and there's more than one heinous crime that Jack's brain has subconsciously blocked off. Needless to say, it's really no wonder why the bulk of the movie involves him struggling to maintain his sanity. A crazy mother doesn't help matters much, either.

Now, I hate to delve immediately into the bad, but it's at the forefront of my mind so I'm saying it. When it comes to Culkin, I have to say that he can't play a likeable protagonist to save his life. He was barely okay in Scre4m in a role that didn't really require any serious acting, but he was a weak spot in the otherwise decent Intruders for me and after a few films I've seen him in, I can comfortably say that I'm just not a fan of his. I really can't stand that emotionless, one-noted expression on his face and that hair that he will never cut from role to the other... ugh. I will say that it seems that he's getting a few nods for acting in this, but the issue here was that his character was nowhere near as likeable as needed to warrant following him for 100 minutes as a leading protagonist. I wouldn't normally come down so hard on an actor this bad, but it really is my top issue with this movie.

That out of the way, the movie did feature Lin Shaye who was wonderful (as always) as the creepy mother. For his first film, Dekker does a pretty good job behind the camera. Visually, things are great. The house location is well used, and the movie just had an off, creepy vibe throughout so he shows promise at that. Some sequences are show promise as well, especially the attic scene which kind of gave me the willies. There's some twists and turns, but they're nothing we haven't seen before, granted that's no real reason to knock a movie in a fairly saturated genre where it's all pretty much been done before. Unfortunately though, the story doesn't have a very satisfying conclusion and I was left sort of thinking "Ok, so what?" when the credits rolled. The storytelling and awkward dialogue are nowhere near as good as the visual side of things. Just wait until Culkin and Shaye's dinner scene at the start of the movie - WTF?!!!!

I give this one a solid 5/10. Worse things exist out there and it shows promise for Dekker as a director, but the dual side of that coin is that there are better stories to watch too. Not a waste by any longshot, though.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar-09

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Final Destination 5 was pretty good, definitely an improvement over the fourth film. Everything's come full circle now with the twist at the end of the movie so I agree with Nic that it'll probably end up getting rebooted since that's the norm in Hollywood now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm

soco-81 wrote:
Famke goddess

Speaking of pure heat, oh gawd yes. What an underrated femme fatale.
I can't even decide what my favorite role of hers is lmao. Her timid teacher turned parking lot seductress in The Faculty is right up there though <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:21 pm

One movie of her's more on the serious side is 100 Feet, which doesn't seem to be talked about at all. Battered housewife who kills her abusive husband in self-defense, only to be convicted of his murder and put on house arrest. The battery extends into his afterlife, where she gets beat up by his ghost. It was very reminiscent of The Entity in that way, but only with physical violence instead of rape. Movie was surprisingly intense considering its TV roots and the fact that it first aired on ScyFy. The Entity was a TV movie as well, I think...? Regardless, both are pretty underrated.

100 Feet is not quite Lifetime material, though. The hot cougar got to bed a young stud to make her ghost husband insanely jealous. Didn't turn out very well in the morning, but hey... at least she got to have some hot sex in an otherwise pretty serious movie.

Which brings me to The Faculty, where she shamelessly lusts after Josh Hartnett. Famke characters definitely seem to like 'em young... and gets them too. Cool
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Bobby, yay! I think her role in The Faculty is my favorite. That's kinda where I first noticed her. Awkwardly sexy <3 and I think she wanted those cherrie condoms. I love that movie too btw. I watch it as often as I can. So many great characters. I was totally Casey in school. And sometimes Stokely. CRASH AND BURN, Casey. So rude to her friends <3 I'm NOT a lesbian. It's just security against people like you.

Dude I should've seen that twist coming at the end. She has SO many obvious moments. I'm a little alien myself today O_________O I'm an airhead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I really liked 100 Feet! It still sticks out in my mind although I can't actually remember any specific scenes. Me and the ex watched it and were surprised by how well it was made cause we hadn't ever heard of it. I think I found out about it through her IMDb page cause I was like wut has Famke been doing lately <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Dead Rising: Watchtower (2015)

Console game turned horror film... this is the first one of two that have been released thus far. 'Watchtower' was so recent that The Final Girls trailer played at the start of the DVD so of course I watched it and giggled the whole way through it. (Yeah, definitely gonna rewatch that one soon. - Garrett, Kevin, Tyler... movie night?). As for this movie, I admit that I've never played the game this one shares its name with. I merely only picked it up because I saw Jesse Metcalf's hotness on the cover and figured it would at least be entertaining if nothing else. I mean, even if the movie was crap, seeing him kick zombie ass had to be worth watching it, right? Cool

The story goes: A zombie outbreak hits a certain part of a city which therefore becomes quarantined from everyone else. People are trapped in with the infected and those who try to leave get shot dead by the powers-to-be. Can't say we've never seen this idea done before, but there it is nonetheless. This wasn't human's first go with zombies though. This time, there are drugs (called Zombrex, of course) which infected people can take to prevent themselves from turning. A news reporter (Metcalf) finds himself trapped in the infected zone with a hot sassy love interest and a mother (Virginia Madsen) who loses her daughter and sanity very early on during the outbreak. They all have to work together to survive not only the zombies, but also a biker gang of rebel assholes who insist on looting stores and being overall jerks to our heroes over the course of the story. Meanwhile, Metcalf's camera (wo)man makes it out of the infected zone just in time and the two correspond via cell phone to uncover why the new drugs didn't prevent people from turning, but instead seemed to speed up the process of turning instead. Them damn conspirators, lemme tell ya! Can't live with them without the fear of becoming zombies ourselves, yet can't live without them if we want a movie to pass the time with. Oh, and finally: We have to have the action broken to hear a newscaster bicker with some pompous asshat who apparently is an expert on surviving zombies, even though it's never really made clear why we should care about what he has to say in the first place.

Within its zombie subgenre, the movie is absolutely generic. You know exactly the type of movie that you're going to get when you turn it on, but you still don't stand to lose anything by watching it either. I'm not sure how faithful it is to the games. Never played them, and I never will. This is actionized horror at its finest, much like the Resident Evil films. Never really scary or thought-provoking, but you do see sexy people kicking ass, it has that going for it. Metcalf of course is a beauty to watch (even if we were denied a shirtless scene - guess we're still stuck with John Tucker Must Die to fulfill that thirst for now), but for the straight boys and lesbians, his love interest (played by Meghan Ory) is also hot as hell and knows how to get her badass on as well. The movie is a bit on the long side of things (1hour and 57minutes...???) and some of that excess fat could've easily been cut (especially all scenes with the annoying newscaster and the zombie expert... their shtick got old after their first couple scenes). I also wonder if this first aired on TV because there were obvious commercial cuts throughout?

I intend to watch and review the sequel, called Dead Rising: Endgame, soon. As for this one, I'll give it an average score of 6/10. The story is absolutely nothing new and pretty much checks all the zombie-subgenre cliché boxes, but it's alright if you like your zombies and video game adaptations. Action horror is basically about the fight sequences anyway so the movie sort of succeeds at what it sets out to do so one has to respect that about it. No hate here!
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 am

soco-81 wrote:
and I think she wanted those cherrie condoms.

Oh she needed them <3 luv, luv, luv The Faculty
The late 90's and early 2000's had some amazing horror movies. Even the thrillers were great. Does anyone remember The In Crowd?

I think everybody hated this movie lmao? It was another one tho that I wore out on VHS back then.
Fear too of course was great, and Wild Things, Cruel Intentions,  Jawbreaker etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 am

A-Supreme wrote:
The hot cougar got to bed a young stud to make her ghost husband insanely jealous.

Gossip Girl shake <3. Blake Lively could never.
I actually don't think any of the guys from that show are anything special (though Penn Badgley was kinda hot in The Stepfather), but Famke sure knows when not to let an opportunity pass by her. Xenia Onatopp <3
Dan I agree btw that 100 IS intense for a TV film. Ed Westwick's was actually fairly brutal and sad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:44 am

I love you for knowing what Jawbreaker is. Let's be friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HarleyStodden

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 am

Quote :
Wild Things, Cruel Intentions, Jawbreaker
Some of the best teen movies ever made right there! Especially Cruel Intentions. Jawbreaker is another lowkey fave of mine but only cause I have a thing for Rose McGowen.

Lol I was watching Jeepers Creepers 1/2 recently. What a guilty pleasure of mine, I used to watch it anytime I could because It was such a guilty pleasure. Truly terrified me when I watched it (I think I was about 9 at the time) the whole him being able to find you where ever just stuck with me.

I googled the series and read that part 3 has actually started. I remember reading about it years ago and it seemed to of been stuck in development hell but it actually looks like its moving! Gina Philips is confirmed to be coming back to reprise her role as Trish and they have added Adrienne Barbeau to the film! Legit this is going to be so fun...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Merriska wrote:
I love you for knowing what Jawbreaker is. Let's be friends.

Merriska, you seem like a goddess, so most def <3. We can hang out and talk about video games, though you know my history with them, so we will have to talk about our favorite Mario Party mini games lmao (bumper balls <3)
Jawbreaker is fantastic. Rose McGowan just does it! Let's pull out some popsicles and have ourselves a movie night. The anorexic gurls all sharing the box of raisins <3. So many iconic moments omg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

I fucking love Bumper Balls! <333

Sneak and Snore was awful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:25 pm

*insert relate-able comment about those video games*

I'M COOL TOO GUYS Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

DAMN YOU GARRETT FOR BEING THE KID THAT WAS WATCHING MICHAEL AND CHUCKY AND NOT BUSTING THE PALM OF YOUR HAND OPEN TO WIN TUG OF WAR IN MARIO PARTY.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next