View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:03 am

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Before there was The Final Girls, there was Tucker and Dale vs. Evil as ~the~ go-to as far as slasher satires are concerned. Hilarious and fun for lovers & haters of the slasher subgenre.

Creep

This was one Netflix movie that lived up to its name. It starts out ridiculous enough as do most found-footage affairs, with a videographer recording a terminal cancer patient's last days. Then things progressively get creepier and creepier. This one may leave you feeling a bit dirty and unsettled once it concludes. The ridiculous lengths people go for money - gahhhh!

Housebound

It's a bit quirky in execution... it's like a New Zealand version of From Dusk Til Dawn, but without the vampires and without being overrated the to nth degree. Most importantly, it's a refreshing take on the ever-stale "presence in the house" tale. I liked how the movie avoided a lot of the old, tiresome clichés and even defied many of them. The mother and daughter had an odd yet endearing relationship as well.

Kristy

I've spoken highly of this one before on the old thread, but those who may have missed it: If you love your heroines strong-willed and powerful, then you really cannot do much better than Kristy, a campus stalking picture that basically inverts the slasher formula and turns it on its head. After a tense gas station scene and a few stalking sequences, you're in for a treat when the everyday good girl finds her courage and starts truly fighting for survival.

Last Shift

This was a surprise to me, and while I feel bad including it here because I think it works better if you go in expecting the awful B-movie the promotional materials make it out to be, I still have to give it a recommendation. In reality, it's rather unsettling and does scary better than a lot of self-proclaimed horror movies do these days. It's a bit slow-going at times I admit, but when it pours on scary, it's thick and nasty. Plus, cults and all that crap scare the daylights out of me so there's that too.

Kidnapped

I have a lot of hesitation putting this title in my recommendation list because I found it so unpleasant, but I have to admit that there's an audience for these "realistic" home invasion films and this one would rank near the top of *that* list. You'd be cold blooded not to feel anything after watching this mean-spirited Spanish flick.

The Damned

I found this one to be a lot of fun, at least for a possession film which is not really my favorite subgenre in horror. A group of tourists get stranded in a strange house in a storm and end up getting possessed one by one. While it's "fun", it's not a horror comedy... it's played completely straight which is even better. Spare in mind that there's good and then there's Netflix good. This is strictly Netflix good.

Let Us Prey

This one seems to be a mixture of several different genre titles, but probably most resembles The Traveler which itself is not bad but not nearly as good as this one. This has a sense of dread the whole way through with a bit of action at the end which is how I like 'em. A police station filled with crooked cops (and one good rookie cop to act as our heroine, of course) is rocked to the core when a mysterious stranger shows up and exposes the bad ones as the rotten sons of bitches they are as all hell breaks loose, leading to an explosive climax.

Troll Hunter

Want a movie about trolls that is legitimately good? Well, viola... here's Troll Hunter. It's an effectively good found footage film, and the graphics are amazing for a movie of its nature. Above's a GIF to whet your appetite. Who knew trolls could be monstrous and dangerous.

The Wailing

The only bad thing about this movie is its length, but it's still a pretty good psychological thriller nonetheless if you can get caught up in the story and don't mind two and a half hours of subtitles. You never quite knew who was good and who was evil, as our bumbling protagonist struggled to desperately save his child from clear evil that's present in his village.

The Pack

Do you want to see a family overcome a pack of ferocious canines? Then watch this movie. A bit too clichéd and straight-laced I admit, but it's definitely Netflix good and the family is likeable enough. And it wasn't awful like Night of the Wild - thankfully.

The Canal

What a creepy, nasty little movie this turned out to be. I was really impressed the first time I saw it two or three years ago, but I really need to revisit it.

The Shrine

Young adults go off to a foreign land and stir up a bunch of trouble. We've seen that same story told multiple times before, but for a Netflix find, it's pretty damned good. Plus, Trevor Matthews plays a Polish baddie pretty well and yet still remains scary hot.

The Perfect Host

What a random movie. Does it count as horror? It's anybody's guess. The movie suffers from identity crisis, but it'll be a horror movie for the sake of my list and the fact that I loved it for its oddities helps its cause as well. It definitely inverts the hostage/home invasion genre with wildly entertaining results. Smooth, on-the-lam criminal attempts to pull one over on an older, eccentric chap, only to quickly learn to never invade the home of someone crazier than you. Oops!

When Animals Dream

This is a rather moody drama about a girl living in a small village where everyone knows that she's a monster, because her mother was a monster and the town has a rather sordid past when it comes to her family. As she nears her morphing age and her father can no longer continue sheltering her from the rest of the world, she falls in love with a hunky fisherman and soon finds herself in a fight for survival when some of the shady villagers decide to dispatch her before she kills them. Romance drama at its finest... really, who cares if she's scary?

The Invitation

I finish off the list with The Invitation, which puts you dead squarely in the protagonist's point of view. He attends his ex's dinner party, where the paranoia runs rampant. You just know that ~something~ is terribly wrong, but you just can't figure out what the hell is wrong. Fuck, your protagonist might just be crazy for all you know. I won't be the one to spoil it for you, but pour a glass of wine and turn this on because it's a good one.

Last edited by A-Supreme on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : imagefix)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 am

Last shift seen it, freaked me out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:55 am

KRISTY! YAS BITCH WERK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 pm

A romance horror? lol Don't see those all the time, but I guess that might get me to check out "When Animals Dream".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:19 am

I'm feeling all nostalgic tonight guys. The Urban Legend theme reminds me of dark rainy neighborhood nights and going to the video store with friends (always hanging out at the horror section) and the fam <3. I know Mark and I have messaged each before other about, but I miss video stores. So many great memories (even when me and my best buddy would go with his parents and we'd want to rent something cool and they'd push us towards the Disney movies lmao. It was much more fun to hang out with his older sister (she was 17 then and we were like 11) and her friends who would take us everywhere when his parents weren't home <3.). I think Mark said he would always go to the local (usually family owned) ones too and never to like Blockbuster, and it was the same for me. I remember one of them was going out of business when I was freshman in high school, and I was able to get a bunch of awesome tapes like Chopping Mall (which I still have). One guy who worked there was super cool and let me get whatever, but the other guy cock blocked me one day and wouldn't let me buy Scream 1981 tears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:30 am

We didn't have a video store perse, but we always rented movies from the local gas stations and it was always fun finding stuff to rent. Even now, I have this irrational need to watch rented movies thru Netflix on my "movie nights" even though it's not even remotely the same as it was back then. It wasn't just horror movies we rented, it was basically any movie we wanted to see. I personally loved Disney stuff, LOL.

But I totally understand the nostalgic fuzzies you feel. It's kind of sad now because VHS was so standard back then, but having become so spoiled with DVD and Bluray quality, now VHS tapes look like crap by comparison. Renting today has become so easy with Amazon, Netflix, and digital content in general that it takes away a lot of the magic out of it. Times have changed so much and now we can understand why some of our parents long for the days of 8-track tapes when we grew up on CDs.
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Urban Legend <3 awe we should do a Scream Queen game again. I remember sending in Tosh's chase scene. Wait was Tara Reid Tosh? Or was Danielle Harris?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Danielle was Tosh. Tara Reid played Sasha.
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:06 pm

yesss Sasha. Sash and Tosh.

The annoying Matthew Lillard wannabe's DRANO death scene <3 such a goddess as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 pm

And Trollhunter scared me so fucking much, Dan. I don't even know what trolls actually are but that movie made me afraid of them. Whenever Syfy plays it in English dub it ruins it. It is way more effective in its actual language with English subtitles. Truly freaky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Oh and I can't watch Kidnapped ever again. It made me so sad and uncomfortable. Sad Good and effective horror though but yeah, I didn't know if I should recommend or praise it because of its nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm

As I was watching Kidnapped, I couldn't help but be reminded of Angst from 1983, which was even worse in content. Regardless, even I have to admit that the 1983 one was brilliantly filmed for such a buried, long-forgotten title until it got an official release a few years ago. But the subject matter was so disturbing in both of these two movies and the viciousness of the violence/brutality was so similar... definitely the type of horror that looks to disturb you, not entertain. XP
Posters on the IMDb messageboard kept insisting Kidnapped was most like Funny Games, and while that one was cold-blooded as well, it was not as nearly vicious as either of these two titles were so I naturally disagreed. Plus, the villains breaking the fourth wall constantly and rewinding scenes made Funny Games a commentary on movie violence; Kidnapped (and Angst) was a straight-up depiction of it. Huge difference, IMO anyway.

I try to watch movies in their original language whenever possible, though I will listen to the English dubbing in those old Italian movies just because the awful dubbing is part of the charm. lol
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 pm

soco-81 wrote:
The annoying Matthew Lillard wannabe's DRANO death scene <3 such a goddess as well.

Michael Rosenbaum <3. Urban Legend had a such a great cast. I don't think teens today would appreciate or even know who a few of them are, but some of those people were it actors back in the day (Rebecca Gayheart, Joshua Jackson, Tara Reid), and they're part of what makes movies from the late 90's as good as they are (Sarah Michelle Gellar for life <3). I love how they would all show up and audition for every film too (Rebecca Gayheart and Joshua Jackson both being in Scream 2 too, and Gellar being in both Scream 2 and I Know What You Did Last Summer). What horror icons and friends <3. They're almost like the brat pack of the late 90's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 pm

The 90's brat pack <3 I loved them all. I miss Jennifer Loves Hugetits. I haven't seen her since she did that movie with Signey Weaver? I think they were scammers. It was fukn funnieeeeee though I laughed so much at Signey's Russian accent.

Ugh I saw Angst too. It was so horrible and also awkward? It definitely served its purpose though.

The English dubbing in Italian horror is the BEST part, I agree Dan. I am not sure they were ever filmed in ANY language lol. WTF is up with Deep Red fading in and out of English and Italian? It's so drunk <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 am

Katie Holmes also showed up in a lot of those late 90s horror/thrillers... Disturbing Behavior and Teaching Miss Tingle come to mind. Michelle Williams was in Halloween H20, along with Josh Hartnett who was also in The Faculty which opens up a whole new group of promising young actors (Elijah Wood, Jordana Brewster, ect). I loved the late 90's teen scene and how so many of these actors are still around.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 am

I watched The Boy a few nights ago. What did you all think of that one? Lauren Cohan was good (she's not my favorite character in The Walking Dead, but I liked her in this) and I kinda liked the twist. It was sorta confusing, but it was effective. It needed a bit more horror though, and it was a bit talky in places. I could see this picking up an audience in years to come (kinda like Dead Silence). It has a 6 on IMDB which is higher than I was expecting it to have (I gave it a 6 too).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 am

I gave it a 7/10. It was a lot better than I expected and the twist was good. The mum and dad characters at the beginning <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 am

The Boy was alright. I believe I gave it a 7/10 as well. I don't think I liked the twist as much as you, though. I have to admit that I don't even remember much about the movie for being a (relatively) recent watch, but I do remember feeling letdown by the obligatory twist (movies of this nature have become cliché in that aspect). The guy from The Canal was in it though and yes, Lauren Cohan was good. I name Brahms still makes me chuckle. lol

Broms

I never saw that other "Boy" film that was released around the same time.
Back to top Go down
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 pm

And I said Lizzie...you'll always be plain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Haha Urban Legend, a poor man's Scream. Still fun though. The best part for me was the black security woman Laughing such a badass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:53 pm

I was working the day that it happened. Preparing meals. Here. I was the cook.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm

You're an American original <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Come, dear. It'll be easier for you than it was for Jason.
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm a Messenger of God. You're doomed if you stay here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 am

The counselors weren't paying any attention, they were making LOVE while that young boy drowned!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next