Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The sitcom discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which of the following sitcoms do you enjoy watching the most?
Friends
85%
 85% [ 11 ]
The Big Bang Theory
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 pm

No more fighting please.

Friends is way better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Fictional shows don't deserve criticism? That's ridiculous. Criticism is how things get better. Granted, my criticism wasn't exactly constructive, but I'm not talking to Chuck Lorre. But whatever. I'll be sure to preface my criticism with humor around you like I do with children when I talk shit about their cartoons. That was a joke. I don't talk shit about children's shows.

Quote :
Anyway thanks for the awful evening. It's been magical but I think that's enough for one night.

You're welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:03 pm

This was a completely unnecessary argument but hopefully you can agree that both parties were at fault.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Both got carried away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Lol I thought BBT was pretty much despised by the majority of people lol. I'm not gonna lie and say it never made me laugh cuz I did watch a few episodes and they had some funny bits. But yea, there are way funnier shows out there.

But to answer the survey question, without a doubt, Friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I think the question was rhetorical in a way lol. I knew what the outcome would be, but I wanted to see anyway. It came about from a chat with Dana. I think she was interested to see the results as she prefers TBBT over Friends.

Friends in my mind is without doubt the best sitcom ever made, or ever will be made. Do I have a problem with anyone who hates Friends? I would have to say yes Laughing that's one opinion I can't accept lol, it's like people who hate cats. My God do they wind me up and it seems to come up a lot. I hate anyone who hates cats lol, point blank. Fuck those people Laughing heartless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 pm

I have two cats lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:45 pm

I won't piss Tara off with drama, but I agree with Nat's thoughts on the Big Bang Theory, it's a show for dumb people about smart people.

As for Friends, I do like it, but I can also come up with plenty of criticisms about it. They're kind of terrible people, and terrible friends to each other about half of the time, haha. Ross and Rachel is also just an all around unhealthy relationship. Monica and Chander are one of my favorite couples though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I feel like an awful person now, I hate both Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Tell us all the reasons why, don't hold back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Well for TBBT, I just don't find it has a lot of actual jokes. A lot of them especially early on are just like "We don't have anyone to sleep with so we spend our lives watching sci-fi" *OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD LAUGH TRACK*. It's trying very hard to pander to the nerd audience, but it does it at such a shallow level and with the most basic references that anyone could understand and then goes "lololol they're such dorks".

And then when it tries to go deeper into something more obscure to show off their guns, they completely fuck it up. THAT IS BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM OF THE DAMN BACKGROUND, NOT SOME DEMON SAMURAI NONSENSE. AND NO SHELDON, MR. KING OF COMICS AND ALL THINGS GREAT, THAT IS /NOT/ HOW MJOLNIR WORKS. PENNY ACTUALLY HAD THE CLOSEST TO THE RIGHT ANSWER AND THEN NO ONE TAKES HER FUCKING SERIOUSLY. Oh yeah, the female nerds are written abysmally. And then when they give them an episode to themselves it's about their love lives, or one time it was supposed to be a girl's adventure but they just get into a fight because they want to be the best princesses. And they have a slightly interesting dynamic in Bernadette being child-free, but NO WE CAN'T STICK TO THAT. BABIES. BABIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Sheldon's friends border on socially incompetent to downright creepy, though at least they have enough social skills to realize that they're dorks and sarcasm is a thing and you need to give effort to keep up a healthy relationship. Sheldon on the other hand will always revert back to not knowing how to have a conversation with a freaking blender and being the worst stereotype of autistic people to come up in yeeears. Most of them won't try to offend anyone on purpose and if they do will feel very remorseful and might go into a minor depression or even meltdown over it, but this guy almost seems like he likes giving little jabs at the people around him to imply they're not as intelligent and it's just horrible. Run Amy, run.

Now for Friends, I completely understand that it was a huge show in pop culture on for ten years and that people grew up watching these characters and identify with them very strongly. They watched them while they were also in apartments (albeit probably much crappier ones cuz there was no way they should have been able to afford the huge one they had with those wages) or in college dorms and struggling with their lives and rooted for these outcasts and the couples that formed between them. I completely understand that it is a big point of nostalgia for these people now. Hell, I even feel super happy when I hear the theme song. Buuuut....

The show premiered when I was one and tapped off when I was eleven. I wasn't watching it during the runtime, I was watching YTV on Canuck channels and heavily censored anime 101's on Fox Kids. So I have no nostalgia goggles about how when I was in my early twenties how much I wanted to be Rachel or how hilarious Joey is. By the time I was interested enough to watch episodes of the show, I found that without any fond previous memories it's honestly kind of terrible. The characters are always giving each other little jabs about each other's intelligence, their poor love life choices, their families, their previous weight struggles etc. They also critique other people for no reason too, like Carol breastfeeding or Charles wanting to perform drag shows cuz it makes him happy.

Oh yeah, that starts another rant cuz Friends like most products of the 90s when you look back on them gets hella problematic. Like the episode where durrrr women know nothing about sports and have to flash their tits to stand a chance of winning the game, and how THE NANNY IS MALE, HE MUST BE GAY OR A PEDOPHILE, WHY THE HELL ELSE WOULD HE WANT TO LOOK AFTER A CHILD!? That's like a woman being a…"- a what ross? A doctor? A banker? What male stereotypical job were you about to come up with? Ross is honestly a horrible human being. He gets a lot less criticism than Chandler and Joey, but he is awful. There was one time he was horrified at the thought of there only being one woman for everybody, like this is a Black Friday sale and girls are like flat screen TV's. Oh, and then Ben wanted to play with a Barbie one time and he flipped the fuck out like the kid had his face all over CNN for quadruple homicide and serial raping. Oh, and there was the time Fun Bobby wanted to get sober cuz he had a massive drinking problem and everyone thinks this makes him a dull person not worth hanging with anymore and Monica drinks enough to knock a 300 pound man out to tolerate being in his presence now.

There's just so many cringeworthy jokes like this, I can keep going. I will. Remember that time Paolo sexually assaulted Phoebe and everyone thought it was hilarious? Remember how being gay is constantly treated as a joke and making you a lesser man or human being? They are all horrible to each other and 90% of the people around them, 90% of the time through no fault of their own and in 2017 there is much better written programs I can find out there that don't pull this shit.

Maybe they all started as endearing people who were there for each other in times of need, but as time went on they all got Flanderized where they all had one character trait and almost none of them were attractive to have in human beings. Nasty, nasty friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 pm

the queen has spoken, haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Seriously, how the fuck do I delete this thread? This was the total opposite to what I had in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm

You could just not read the thread lol. Deleting the thread doesn't delete people's opinions existing, but you don't have to read them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 pm

To answer the question though, Friends if it's a plain episode where they just hang out and don't do anything douchy to anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Yeah well I don't want to look at the thread any longer so go ahead and delete it. I know you can. I'm requesting you delete it. You can all bitch about the shows somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm not going to do that. We pretty much made it clear that this forum is for free discussion and not for us moderators to be dictators deleting threads all willy nilly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Merriska wrote:
AND NO SHELDON, MR. KING OF COMICS AND ALL THINGS GREAT, THAT IS /NOT/ HOW MJOLNIR WORKS. PENNY ACTUALLY HAD THE CLOSEST TO THE RIGHT ANSWER AND THEN NO ONE TAKES HER FUCKING SERIOUSLY.

God, I hated that so much. And Sheldon Cooper, Mr. King of Comics, thinks the X in X-Men stands for Xavier. No one could be bothered to do a simple google search before they made the episode?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Talk about obnoxious. You people really are showing yourselves in a different light. Oh well, carry on. I just have to rise above it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 pm

I did answer the question eventually, I was just making a quick joke cuz you mentioned how you didn't get why someone would dislike Friends and that was going to be it but then other people asked me why I felt that way so I answered. Didn't mean to start any flame wars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Actually, I have always had a Friends question, so let's turn this into a discussion. It's been awhile since I watched, so I don't remember the exact timeline, but like...did Carol and Susan straight up use Ross as a sperm donor? She doesn't give birth until all the way at the end of season one, and like, I don't remember if her and Susan say how long they have been together, but like, isn't it pretty much implied that she had a thing with Susan for a bit before leaving Ross? Like she didn't meet Susan and ask for a divorce the next day. But she like just finds out she's pregnant right after the divorce, so like, it seems like she must have slept with Ross at least once after she was planning to leave him. DID SHE JUST STRAIGHT UP BE LIKE AMG I'M GONNA GET MY HUSBAND TO KNOCK ME UP BEFORE I LEAVE HIM. Or it could just be really lazy bad writing. Discuss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Anybody wanna post a cliffnotes version of this elevated debate?

I voted Friends. I wouldn't call myself a fan of either, but I can relate to Friends a bit more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Nat said the Big Bang Theory is a bad show made for fake nerds. Neil cried about it. Tara made them all hold hands and sing kumbaya. Merriska came and was a bitch about both shows. Neil cried some more and asked me to delete the thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:03 pm

STFU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The sitcom discussion thread   

Back to top Go down

The sitcom discussion thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top