HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Horror Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Merriska

PostSubject: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:09 pm

So Dan, Garrett, Mark, Tyler etc can continue to discuss the latest, greatest and crappiest the genre has to offer when the boards go down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks Merriska <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RTF

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Has anyone seen The Visit? Amazing movie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 pm

I saw it. It was good, but I couldn't stand that little boy. He wasn't a very good actor lol. The old people were good though!

I want, NEED to watch Split. If only I could get my lazy ass to the theater tomorrow night I will Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Do you know the twist yet?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Of Split? No!! I was so tired I didnt want to go to the theater tonight. I am going tomorrow for sure! Might do a double feature and watch both Split and John Wick 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Rockstar-09

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Quote :
Has anyone seen The Visit? Amazing movie

I liked it too. I know that everyone gives M. Night Shyamalan so much crap for always using twist endings in his movies but I think The Visit was his best one in a while.

I've been trying to watch a lot more horror films lately. I got all of the Friday the 13th movies for Christmas and finished them up last month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

kyogre123 wrote:
Of Split? No!! I was so tired I didnt want to go to the theater tonight. I am going tomorrow for sure! Might do a double feature and watch both Split and John Wick 2

Curious what you'll think of it.

I might be a bit biased though since I don't really think the movie needed to be made in general. All it really does is get some people to think it's possible with dissociative identity disorder to have an alter that's a cannibal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm

I honestly didn't like The Visit at all, though I should probably try seeing it again someday. I believe I gave it a 3/10 - handheld gimmick, awful child rap, not enough creepy moments, just a lot of problems with it. Didn't help that I was fighting off sleep as I was seeing it. I went into it with too high of expectations given that some were calling it M. Night's comeback.  Yeah, don't think so. It does seem to have its fans, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 am

Not to shift gears from the probably very lovely M Night Shyamalan, but ugh I want a new Final Destination film so bad. I'm listening to the theme on Youtube, and it seriously may be my favorite horror franchise ever.  The first film is by far the best, but I like them all a lot (even the fourth film). Why does it seem like the studio has always tried its best to bury the series? They've always made a shit ton of money, but sequels were always a bit far apart in comparison to other series, and they even tried to end it with The Final Destination when it was only the fourth film. I know the fifth film had a great ending, but the series still has so much left in it (I'm not tired of the premise at least).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Parawhore

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 am

I use to be obsessed with The Final Destination series. I think at this point they'll reboot it in a few years. It's 20 years old right?
Side note. I want to see the Hellraiser Remake already. Hopefully the don't fuck that up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFR9fZnjKQb1REMG7d0tJ3A
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm

I also liked The Visit. Shocked the fuck out of me! And yes pls @ new Final Destination movies. What ever happened to part 6?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HarleyStodden

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am

For some reason I watched two horror at sea films back to back.

Ghost Ship (2002)
We probably all have watched this film at least once. I mean it was hyped but failed at the box office I think. Man, I remember the opening with the wire scene always being the best part but it has aged, as have some of the graphics (which is expected) I did like the whole flashback scene, was probably the best bit but for the most part...it's still a subpar movie.

Virus (1999)
It's almost exactly the same story as Ghost Ship (with a salvage crew finding this big ass ship that is too good not to salvage but then there ship blows up so then they are trapped blah blah blah.) I mean Jame Lee Curtis can't even save this train wreck. I remember thinking it was good when I was super young but man it is bad. I honestly can't explain it...why did she even sign up for it?

As for Final Destination, I find it weird that they haven't made another. It's not like number 5 was a huge flop, it was decent I thought? Either they are waiting to remake it instead of making a 6 but I did hear they were looking to start shooting 6 this year with 7 filming straight after....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

FD 5 was good actually. I really enjoyed the twist at the end! They could make those movies better, liek throw in more twists. How about there is focus on a character, so you think they are about to die, then it's someone else, example, Candice's gymnastics scene death, it focuses on her, whilst Pete is sat watching. A twist could have been that he dies, shockign the audience. The only way to keep a repetitive storyline going is with shocks and twists, which they fail to throw in enough of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

It seemed like there was a trend of setting horrors/thrillers on ships after the overwhelming success of Titanic, which I think brought to light how good a setting of a deserted ship out at sea would be in a horror/thriller film. Are you going to watch Deep Rising as well, Harley?

Of the three horrors, I would have to rank Ghost Ship the highest for being the most structurally sound. It's basically a ripoff of Alien ('79) with some elements of Deep Horizon ('97) mixed in, but I liked both so I could get behind it for the most part. Even if the script wasn't the best, that was one hell of a good cast to have together in one movie.
Deep Rising has pretty amazing effects for its time and has likeable characters for the most part. There was pretty good chemistry between Treat Williams and Famke Janssen and I liked the idea of the monster.
I personally wouldn't call Virus terrible, though it definitely has a solid hatedom amongst moviegoers and seems pretty stuck in its time. Technology expansion and everyone everywhere getting more and more connected... I believe the fear of Y2K was starting to set in as well. The movie wasn't really good at playing off the public's fear of it. lol. In regards to Jamie Lee, I have to be real here... her career was probably struggling for her to ever return to horror at all, so she had to act in something(=anything) following H20 to hold her Scream Queen crown. Hence, Virus... too bad she felt the need to bash it because it really is a mindless entertainer, at the very least. It was cool seeing her and Donald Sutherland (two horror icons) square off in the same movie. One thing that can be said about the horror genre is that it keeps our favorite actors working. Considering some dreck some horror stars end up in to appease their fans of amateur filmmakers, Virus ranks nowhere near the bottom of that barrel. Just look at some of the disasters Lance Henrikson or Danielle Harris have been in... yeah. Shocked

I could take another Final Destination movie, or another five. I liked all of them, as formulaic as they were.
Back to top Go down
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Poor poor Danielle Harris lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Yeah FD5 was actually really good. It performed well also? That's why I figured we would have had another one by now. The twist was cool af in that one.

I love all those tacky horror at sea titles <3 especially Ghost Ship. That intro scene where everyone gets cut in pieces, so gross and fabulous!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm

And yeah I'm with Dan. They could make 16 additional Final Destination's and I'd like them as long as they stuck with their formula. I always saw them as modern day Friday the 13th's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

That's a pretty good comparison, Tyler! You should do one of your sassy horror rankings again, like that one time you ranked your favorite bitches in horror. Those were always a fun read.
Back to top Go down
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Did I finish it? The forum being totally erased is still very shitty. I have a visual memory mostly so it sucks that those threads are gone. I wanted to do so many more rankings too. I totally will one of these days when I have time.

lol @ me sending you a bf text <3 . He's usually always first on my text list thing but I had just texted you before that so it was like, oops <3 I have the most obtuse menus in my phone. good thing it was just a normal text I would've died! Wink Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soco-81

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:14 pm

ps my last IMDb post was a Fairuza Balk/The Craft quote <333
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm

LOL it's all good, I'm just happy you decided to text me at all after you ~shamelessly~ ignored my invite to watch Black Christmas with Garrett and me. Wink

I don't remember my last post, tbh. I know I had posted a few times on the games board, but also I posted on the Boggy Creek (2010) board because that's a certified guilty pleasure horror movie of mine and I always love giving a little love to those ones.

I might do either an Extreme Horror ranking, or a Guilty Pleasure ranking. Haven't decided yet.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Dark Castle was pretty hot back in the day (with Ghost Ship for sure being one of their weaker efforts). I used to luv my vhs of House on the Haunted Hill so much (I wore that thing out). Sadly the quality of their films has gone way down in recent years (with Orphan being an exception).

Btw random, but I could so go for seeing Scissors again (tho it's more of a thriller)

I used to own this movie years ago, but I lost it (I have no idea where the hell it went). I got to track down a copy though because it's so underrated and great. When I was little, I was obsessed with the Power Rangers (even at 6 I was hot for Jason omg), the Friday the 13th series, and Sharon Stone movies. I don't even know how I was even allowed to watch her films lmao, but whatever. She was just so confident and sexully charged <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 pm

I recently watched a very old movie of Sharon Stone's and I know you've heard of it, Deadly Blessing. She was a gem back then as well... it's miraculous how she wasn't even the final girl and was allowed to survive when most other slashers were killing off their sexy blondes off left and right. I'd guess that she was a Tom Hanks (in He Knows You're Alone) type where the character was allowed to survive because the makers liked the actor so much, but I think I heard something about her being a diva on set even back then? Still, the fact that she got to be featured on the movie poster (cleavage and all) predicts her future stardom as a sex icon:

I'll add Scizzors to my Netflix queue! Smile

I loved Power Rangers as well, but I was in love with Kimberly as was most guys were I'm sure. I loved Amy Jo Johnson in Susie Q. <333 I really need to revisit that one on a non-horror/thriller night.

As for Dark Castle, I don't know... I feel like they churn out decent movies even if they're always on the cheesy side. Along with House on Haunted Hill, I also really liked Thirt13n Ghosts and The Reaping. None of their stuff is ~truly~ great really, but they're still really enjoyable if you can shut your brain off enough so to enjoy them. None of them feel cheap at least.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 am

A-Supreme wrote:
I loved Power Rangers as well, but I was in love with Kimberly as was most guys were I'm sure. I loved Amy Jo Johnson in Susie Q. <333 I really need to revisit that one on a non-horror/thriller night.

I think all us gay boys probably wanted to be her lmao (fuck the green/white ranger tho <3). I just used to love The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers so much. That and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I remember I had a little Raphael Halloween costume when I was like 4 <3).
I wonder how the new Power Rangers movie is going to be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Horror Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 19Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next