Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shred

PostSubject: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Why haven't we made a thread for this once in a lifetime show yet? Let's kick of the summer right Dan, Merriska, Tyler, Neil, sis, and all my other good friends who follow this section and spend our summer telling scary stories around the campfire because I'm sure Dan has loads of good ones to tell, and Merriska knows I'll be focused on hers. Every 90's kid knows this was the best show in the 90's, and it takes me back to a time in the mid to late 90's when I was just moving back to the US with my family, and life was all about Snick, hanging out with my best friend, his older sister, and her friends listening to Green Day, and wanting to finish my Friday the 13th VHS collection. So put on your chokers ladies, grab your N64, and borrow your friends Skip It and get read to watch Tia, Tamara, and a young Ryan Gosling in fearful fright. Submitted for the approval of the midnight society, I call this story The Are You Afraid of the Dark discussion thread.

So what is everyone's favorite episodes? I think (I think) my three favorites are "The Tale of the Dream Girl", "The Tale of the Dark Music", and "The Tale of the Laughing in the Dark". I used to think the dream girl was sorta boring when I was younger, but now I just love it so much.

It's a really sad episode, and I'm sorta surprised Nick did such a heavy episode dealing with death. The ending in the cemetery always gets me, and I feel so awful for the lead guy who wonders why his mom doesn't pay attention to him anymore. Really just a classic episode.
I have no idea how The Tale of the Dark Music even got on Nick since it's so dark. I mean

The kid is all alone in the basement and that walks out of the cellar.

I'd love to know what all of your favorite episodes are. I'm sure it's been a while, but I know sis loves this show (he had it in his top 5 I believe), and there were a ton of guest stars/actors in early roles in them like Melissa Joan Hart, Tia and Tamara, Ryan Gosling, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Gilbert Gottfried etc.

Last edited by Shred on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptainJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Opening credit theme was fantastic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 pm

It'd be hard to pick favorites cuz there's so many good stories, but I can definitely name some that creeped me out. Most of the ones by Betty Ann were nightmare fuel, especially The Dollhouse with it's one saving grace being that Susan and the other girl do escape and they burn the demonic thing. But her most terrifying is definitely Tale of the Chameleons because it's one of the ones that actually doesn't end happily. I don't know if I need to put spoilers here since it's so old, but basically she picks the wrong Janice clone to spray and the real one ends up as a chameleon at the bottle of the well left to die. Another one that's really dark was the Pinball Wizard one where the guy thinks he beat the game, but the owner won't let him leave and starts up another round so he's trapped in the machine forever playing the game over and over until eventually he'll lose and die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:13 pm

I love the tale of the dangerous soup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

OMG sis have we discussed this show before? I used to LOVE it growing up!

The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner used to scare the shit out of me. My brother used to tease me about it.

^Legit terrifying to look at!!

Other memorable episodes for me include The Tale of the Quicksilver (with Tatiana Ali <3) and the one with the monster in the pool which I'm too lazy to look up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 pm

The Tale of the Crimson Clown

I always really liked this one growing up. I remember it being one of my favorites in fact, but I remember next to nothing about it now. I don't like a lot of stuff I liked as a kid though so this could be a pretty bland episode. lol

The Tale of the Dream Girl

I believe this one is the one that Bobby talked about in his first post, and what a mood-fucker this episode was. I actually watched this on a AYAOTD marathon a few years ago and cried like a little bitch. It's way better than it probably had any right being, and does the twist so much better than most movies that utilized it thereafter.

The Tale of the Lonely Ghost

That snotty cousin who has a strange resemblance to Molly Ringwald always kills me when she nastily tells our Mary Sue heroine "...and DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF" when she goes out with her friends and leaves her cousin all alone to find trouble. What a bitch. lol
Like "The Tale of the Dream Girl", this one also evokes a very sad feeling in me considering the lonely ghost's mom is the snot's live-in nanny and she just seemed so sad and lost in life.

The Tale of the Dead Man's Float

This monster scared the daylights out of me as a kid. Even looking at it now, it just looks so effectively scary compared to a lot of monsters that have come out at a later time. I'd love to see a kid's network even attempt to put something like this on TV in this day and age. lol

The Tale of the Dollmaker

Nick wasn't above going all out Cronenberg for an episode. Wasn't there a part where her hand (turned porcelain) comes off and falls on the ground? I thought the dollhouse set was done splendidly as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

I never saw that show lol. It sounds a lot like Goosebumps. I didn't see many horror kids shows but the one I was most aware of was this...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 pm

neil. isn't there a Nickelodeon in uk and ireland,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Yeah, it did air on there according to Wiki but people could still miss it and some of the later years it was on most people aren't watching Nick past 12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emer_Halo

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:53 am

Yes, we had Nickelodeon in England and the show aired during the mid 90s. Assuming you mean the kids one, it was a great show and somewhat popular here. Tho I can't remember much as I haven't seen it in about 20 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 am

Nick is on Sky, which you have to pay for. We didn't get Sky until I was 15 so was too old for those sorts of shows. By that point, all I was watching on Nick were the teen shows like Sabrina Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:29 pm

EnnJaySee wrote:
I never saw that show lol. It sounds a lot like Goosebumps. I didn't see many horror kids shows but the one I was most aware of was this...

Eerie Indiana!! I used to watch this on Saturday mornings in the late 90's I believe? There was some really cool stuff airing around that time. I can't remember if it was on WB or Fox though. Wasn't there also a show on Disney (?) that sis sometimes use to mention about a rock band? I think it was called So Weird? I never seen it, but it sounded good, and had Mackenzie Phillips in it <3.
Neil, Are You Afraid of the Dark is a lot less cheesy (though younger people would probably think it's a bit dated now), and better written than Goosebumps was. It didn't talk down to kids (it actually could be really intense), so anyone could watch it and have a blast with it. I know I still watch it, and I'm sure you would think it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:49 pm

I really enjoyed the Goosebumps books but not really the show growing up. Then, in maybe c. 2008 when I caught a marathon on TV, I came away from the show thinking it was awful. None of the episodes were anything to write home about really. I'm not going to say that AYAOTD didn't have some corny concepts, but it's aged far better than Goosebumps. It makes sense though... IIRC the Goosebumps TV series was just a cash grab to capitalize on the success of the books in the first place. Plus, nothing is ever as good as the book, much less a 24-minute episode per book (though some did two-part episodes). Too much gets lost in translation from book to TV.

So Weird <3 We always had to watch Disney at my grandma's because she had that channel and this show was my favorite. I was pretty sad when that series jumped the shark when it decided to ditch the weird in favor of Alexz Johnson and her music. I know the series always incorporated music, but it didn't seem as bad when Fi was the main character and her mom was the main musician. Some of those early episodes were pretty good, as well. I could use a rewatch of a lot of it though because it's been years. I also liked Even Stevens and Lizzy Maguire (guilty lol).
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Lizzy McGuire Laughing she drove my little teen hormones crazy, I can tell you LaughingLaughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Miranda <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I was never even a fan of the Goosebumps book series. I mean I read them; however, they weren't really mature enough for me even at a young age. I'm sad it's the series everyone remembers too because I think Fear Street was at least a little bit better, and I used to love his Babysitter series too. He's also made a couple adult novels, but I haven't read those. I was more of a Christopher Pike fan (I know he's Tyler's guy too <33). Goosebumps did have great art work though and I was super bummed to see on Amazon recently that they re released a lot of the books and gave them new covers. They look so bad!!  
Dan, I never even knew anybody that even liked the series. It was one of those shows we'd throw on in the background after school while we were waiting for dial up or before we'd go hang out somewhere. We actually left the house in those days as kids lol. I will say that the series did have one really, really good episode though, and that was "The Haunted Mask". It was an hour long episode (those were better) and actually is mildly spooky. Plus it has a great Halloween atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Fear Street Cheerleaders was the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 pm

OMW Fear Street was such a good series, I loved those books back in the day. I recall liking the Silent Night trilogy (Reva <3), as well as The Sleepwalker and Night Games. Such good memories associated with all of these books Very Happy

I also remember R.L. Stine had a book called The Girlfriend (I believe?) but I don't think it was a Fear Street. It was like Fatal Attraction before I even knew what Fatal Attraction was. lol
Back to top Go down
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 pm

I remember telling scary stories <3 I don't quite remember every one I've ever done, but I tended to gravitate towards telling of monsters like demons and such in my early high school years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:39 am

The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner no. I ran out the house when I saw it. I was alone and like 10 lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark?   

Back to top Go down

Are You Afraid of the Dark?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1