Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Merriska

PostSubject: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Today I'll be travelling back to the 1860's to take on a 2,000 mile journey from Independence, Missouri to Oregon. This is the Deluxe version released in 1992; while it wasn't the version used most often in classrooms that'll evoke nostalgia among many American Gen-Xer's (and some older millennials), it does include some nice features like telling you when someone who was sick gets better and greatly improving the controls on the hunting and rafting mini-games. Now I'm going to put together a party of five.

I went to the List Randomizer on random.org and put together a list of the people that have been active in the last month and hit randomize to put together the lucky five who get to make the journey.

So Nat, Dan, Firebolt, Taylor (RTF) and I are all in the wagon together off to the great unknown. And we're playing as teachers cuz that's the hardest setting and if we survive we get the biggest bonus in points. It also puts us at the greatest risk of dying though.

The teacher starts the game with the least amount of money at 400$ so we skimp a bit on spare parts and food to get a lot of ammo cuz we're going to need to kill some animals on the way sad to say. We have 20$ left for ferry rides. And we're off.

3 days into our journey Mark has already been bitten by a snake, so we're off to a fantastic start. /s Now I have to rest a few days so he doesn't die before we've even left Missouri.

We successfully made it across our first river by taking the ferry but Mark is still not better from his run-in with the snake.

Scratch that; Mark's recovered, but Nat somehow broke his leg while sitting in a wagon. Amazing.

We successfully crossed another river despite one of our people having one less usable limb.

I'm a monster.

After having a broken leg for a month Nat finally healed and we reached this phallic rock.

But that peace was short lived cuz we lost an ox and Taylor is shitting himself to death.

Taylor was cured after a week of rest, but Nat broke another limb while sitting in a wagon not doing jack. I'm not sure how he's pulling this off.

Damn it Dan, why you do this.

Good news, Nat is finally recovered from his broken limb, but our wagon exploded and took out a good chunk of the food supply. Yay?

At least nobody's drowned.

So Dan is not just snake bitten, he's double snake bitten. Jesus.

And Mark is our second lucky person to get dysentery.

Unfortunately this won't be a perfect run. Despite stopping to rest often, Taylor couldn't recover from his latest illness and after 1300 miles we lose our first and hopefully only party member. RIP.

Despite resting for 3 days to grieve our casualty and having nothing wrong with him, Mark is suddenly exhausted. What a diva.

How many times can one human be bit by a snake before becoming immune?

You would think this party would learn, but no. Are they attracted to the sound of rattling?

Aaaand we made it. Well, most of us. Unfortunately I hit a rock and Mark drowned near the end </3 so it wasn't the best score. But I hope you enjoyed reading this ridiculous leap to the past full of fun....well, except for the death. That wasn't very fun at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Sun May 14, 2017 10:35 pm

omfg snakes definitely don't like me at all. Must be karma for trying to kill all my people back when I played Oregon Trail on my friend's computer back in the day because I was a demented little shit.

But I still survived <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Mon May 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes you did, and you've probably built up an immunity to snake venom. <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 5:55 am

Oregon Trail goddess!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WolfNVX4444

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Ayyyy two broken limbs can't stop me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Shred wrote:
Oregon Trail goddess!!

It could've gone a lot better, I've done teacher runs where 5 people make it in good health and get over 9,000 (9,000!? -Nappa) points. But ty <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 12:44 pm

WolfNVX4444 wrote:
Ayyyy two broken limbs can't stop me

If you had broken any more while not healing, there would have been a point in the trip where you only had one usable limb. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I don't know what this is but it's epic Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue May 16, 2017 5:26 pm

It's super fun, though it's mostly a part of the childhoods of people from America cuz...well, travelling to Oregon isn't historical or important to anyone in the UK lol. In Canada and the UK we played things like Granny's Garden, where instead of dying from horrific diseases you needed to rescue children from a witch hiding in your grandmother's backyard by being as polite as possible...which sounds quite mundane in comparison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Welcome back to another rousing game on the trail requested by Bobby. Since he said he was interested in seeing another game he was automatically put in the wagon along with myself. Matty, Jimmy and Cherry were selected by the list randomizer on Random.Org. We'll once again be going as a teacher cuz it's the hardest route and will probably lead to the most interesting RNG.

This will be the supplies we start with, leaving us with 20$ to barter/trade with and take ferries so rivers won't be as much of a threat. And we're off.

We cross the first river by ferry with no problems.

And Cherry is our first member of the party to get hurt. t.ears

We made it across our second river, but Cherry still hasn't recovered from her snakebite after almost a week. This could be bad.

Right after I said that she actually got better lol. We trodded along for a month with very little of anything happening other than driving the buffalo population to extinction and haggling with some of the townsfolk when we stopped at forts. Here we see Bobby have his first injury, and it's another snake bite. I will never understand how my wagon party keep getting bitten by these assholes.

This has been a rough week. No water or food, poor animals. Oh, and I traded that ox so I would have lots of extra clothes cuz people ask to trade stuff in exchange for clothes a lot in this game.

I shot a lot of the tiny deer cuz they're really not a lot of meat, like 20 pounds. Unfortunately, then an elk came on screen and they can be as much as 500 so now a lot of meat's going to rot because these people can only carry 200 pounds. Idg why we don't carry 200 pounds and then go back and get the rest that's still edible lol.

Shit. Literally.

Cherry heals after a week of rest and we cross another river successfully by using the ferry. And yes, I know we're deathly low on food. I shot an elk a minute later.

Friend? Who the hell was that guy? lol Also apparently the game expected me to be a boy because I doubt in 1848 they would have wished luck to me and my missus.

Good thing I've been hoarding extra clothes, otherwise this fire would've left us all in the nude.

Jimmy makes his first appearance to get bit by a snake. It's a bit strange how often this happens since the number one meme of the game is you have died of dysentery. But no, my party apparently pissed off some serpant god in the past.

Seriously?

Last river of the game besides the Columbia, which we may or may not take.

I literally just close the screen to continue and this happens. The game wants Cherry dead.

Bobby's exhausted, unfortunately for him there's still 500 some odd miles left.

Is she immune yet?

Rafting the Columbia where striking a rock is instant death.

And we all made it alive. Interesting fact, Matty never got sick or injured once. I only didn't because the leader never has anything bad happen to them until everyone else in the party is dead.

This is a pretty good score overall. Not my highest, but it's higher than the first place Stephen Meek auto has when you first start. Thank you for following along with this crazy trip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 am

Well this was obviously the most ravishing Oregon Trail yet. I survived too *celebrates*. Did I make your trip fun Merriska?? Cause I'd totally bring my rock vinyl's and start a party on the wagon (we'll figure out a way to play them lol). Most underrated thread on here. A real tour de force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm sure you were blasting the top pop hits of 1848 while getting bit by snakes lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail   

Back to top Go down

Merriska Plays The Oregon Trail
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum for the IMDb Games community :: Other :: Video Games-
Jump to: