Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iraheto

PostSubject: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I have faith they'll change their minds one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
switza

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am

Likely depends on if their traffic drops significantly. I could see boards for shows and movies returning, but maybe not the general ones like politics or the soapbox or sadly the games boards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah if enough people decide to not use the site afterwards then maybe they'll change their minds. But, I don't have too much faith they'll change their mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dnashobviously

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 am

I just don't see much use to IMDb other than to discuss movies, tv shows, etc. I think traffic will definitely drop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:04 pm

It would be such sweet justice if their traffic tanked lol. I wonder if they'll dump all the data on Feb 20 or if they'll store it in case they do decide to bring it back. I kind of have the same thought as Adam in that they'll bring back the ones for individual movies and shows and maybe some of the main ones (like the genre and big franchise ones) but honestly, the Games boards might be seen as more trouble than they're worth. And does the Internet MOVIE Database really need a politics board for example? I bet that's where a lot of the trolling is.

Is it just me or were the message boards for movies and shows kind of hidden on their pages? Like you had to scroll past a bunch of other stuff to get to them. And you only saw a select few threads on the movie's main page so it was easy to miss if you weren't looking for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Yeah the message boards were really easy to miss. It was really annoying tbh.

Though, I'll still use IMDb because I will still do ratings and I always look at trivia and quotes after watching a movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Not that this is a surprise but here's what a former IMDb employee had to say:

Quote :

"This is no surprise whatsoever. I've worked at IMDb (the worst and most discouraging experience of my professional life ) and believe me, the company is a soulless, empty corporate shell that has one goal: to sell advertising. It's not about movies, TV, or being 'guardians of data' - everything is about making money. The entire site is setup to sell advertising, and movie data is simply a means to achieve that. End of story.

The reason IMDb is getting rid of the message boards is simple: they can't be monetised. If IMDb could make money out of the boards, they'd be staying, but there's no cash in it for them, so they're getting axed. The sell-outs who run IMDb will have looked at the 'metrics' (a risible corporate buzzword the Data Team loves so much) and decided that traffic is not high enough for them to make any real money.

It really is that simple. I've experienced first-hand the obsession with metrics, and making money (at the expense of customer satisfaction), and it really is pathetic to behold. No decision is made at IMDb without greed being factored into the equation, and believe me, they will also shut down certain data sections at some point if they get in the way of making money. Forget the fact that the site has compiled 20+ years worth of important data - if one of the sections can no longer be monetised effectively (Literature, for example), they'll just get rid of it.

In financial terms, keeping the message boards live costs IMDb basically nothing, bar the human cost of maintenance, which - when considered in the context of the site's huge annual profit margin - is less than miniscule.

There's no point complaining about it, making suggestions, or suggesting alternate, viable solutions - the hacks at IMDb don't give a toss. There's no money in it for them, so they're not interested. They'll fob you off with the usual hollow platitudes, but make no mistake, the IMDb that people love died years ago. Now, the site is just a shiny, corporate plaything, pimped out by Amazon for the purposes of making money, with greed - not customer focus - being its primary driving force.

One final note: it probably burns IMDb that the majority (over one third) of their users come from China, the audience for which is far less valuable to advertisers than, say, the USA and the UK. Only about 5% of IMDb's users come from the UK, which is ironic considering the site originated in England. But, I digress - this post will, of course, be deleted, but what the hell. I don't care!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:58 pm

I would have thought most traffic was because of the message boards. People go there to discuss with other users. I will barely be on it if all I'm going there is to rte a movie or ready trivia. Surely traffic will drop significantly. This is such a douche move. F U IMDb execs lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 am

Yikes. IMDb execs sound like fucking assholes lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesseRebel

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 am

Iraheto wrote:
Maybe I'm too optimistic but I have faith they'll change their minds one day.

Javi, did you really just steal this from my thread on the board??? Seriously???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:32 am

Why are you always looking to fight? I'm genuinely interested. Where does this need to fight people come from? Leave the fights behind on IMDb and start fresh here or wherever we end up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Parawhore

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 pm

His last name is Rebel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFR9fZnjKQb1REMG7d0tJ3A
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 pm

JUSTIN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:34 pm

MEMPHIS Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaina

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:34 pm

question, is it just external messaging boards? or boards for movies too bc i enjoyed those
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:27 pm

All of them I think
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
CaptainJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:42 pm

All of them. If it was just the main boards, there's like 30 of them? Give or take they wouldn't be saving that much money in servers I'd guess. But there's probably a million boards on there if you add up the movies, actors, tv shows, shorts, film crew and then on top of that they have a board for each episode of a given TV show I believe so that would be a good chunk of money I bet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?   

Back to top Go down

Do you think IMDb will bring the boards back one day?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1