HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Nostalgic Canadian/European TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Merriska

PostSubject: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:11 pm

For anyone who wants to share shows they watch now or grew up with that some of the American forum members may have never heard of.

This is a fun little show about a family living in a lighthouse and dealing with many different spirits, some more lighthearted and some nightmare inducing.

How most 90's canucks discovered urban legends through the tellings of a cockroach of all things.

Longest running soap opera in the world with quirky characters like Norris the snoopy old man, crazy Mary, Tracy the mega bitch and poor Gail with her six dead husbands. Also made history with the first regular appearing role of a transgender character on TV.

If you enjoy fantasy, folklore, tales about fey folk, positive female friendships and plentiful representation of bisexuality, you'll probably love this.

It was like Degrassi if you had more car theft and kids losing eyes to paintball fights.

Speaking of here's the newest Degrassi intro:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 pm

LMFAO at Byker Grove! Major nostalgic value for me as a kid, watching that after school! Did you ever see Grange Hill? Same age of kids only set in a school

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

It didn't air here, but after looking it up it's pretty impressive it lasted 30 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptainJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 pm

I don't know how nostalgic it is but I used to watch Life with Derek all the time. Loved it. It was a Canadian show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Aww May May, you missed out not seeing Grange Hill lol. Kids tv was great growing up. The shows started about 3ish, started out with cartoons usually, then at 5pm they had Newsround, which was news, for kids! Lol just fun stories from round the world etc, after that at 5:15 they had the last show of the day, which was for teens usually, younger kids could enjoy too I suppose. That was your Byker Groves and Grange Hills lol, plus a show called Blue Peter which wasn't fictional, it was just a presented show. Great days!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

CaptainJimmy wrote:
I don't know how nostalgic it is but I used to watch Life with Derek all the time. Loved it. It was a Canadian show.

It's been over for 8 years so it could probably count, it aired on the Family Channel over here. It wasn't bad, the big sister annoyed me lol.

I think this played in the US a few years after it wrapped up here, it was pretty good. It made me want to start my own radio station.

Quote :
Kids tv was great growing up. The shows started about 3ish, started out with cartoons usually, then at 5pm they had Newsround, which was news, for kids! Lol just fun stories from round the world etc, after that at 5:15 they had the last show of the day, which was for teens usually, younger kids could enjoy too I suppose. That was your Byker Groves and Grange Hills lol, plus a show called Blue Peter which wasn't fictional, it was just a presented show. Great days!

I'm trying to remember how the YTV timeslot went in like, 2000. I remember 5:30 was new Pokemon, 6:00 might have been Beyblade. Around 8 or 8:30 was Yu-gi-oh, then Yvon of the Yukon which is...hard to describe, it was so bizarre lmao. Then around 9 or 9:30 when I was going to bed was Dragonball Z, which actually had a different opening theme song over here. We didn't have Rock The Dragon if anyone reading watched. We got this

Your milage may vary.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cooltu101

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 am

Coronation street was on hulu for awhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't know if it's your taste but if you did watch it I'd be curious how you felt. It's pretty different than North American soaps in that while it does have the occasional murder or cheating scandal there's nothing like evil twins or hell trying to swallow up the town.

Is there any shows you liked when you were younger that you think aren't that well-known?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 pm

LMAO Corrie rules!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Did you ever see this show, May May? Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 pm

No, Wiki tells me that show wrapped up before I was born lol.

For game shows we had Uh Oh!

Kids had to do gross out stunts like try to pick out inflatable Gushers out of pools of green slime with bugs inside it to win points, answer trivia questions to avoid getting slimed and get to use a machine with balls to try to win extra points. The prize was usually something like a bike or a Playstation game lol.

The villain was called The Punisher dressed in all black leather and a spikey mask and if you landed on his space and got a question wrong he dumped a huge bucket of goop on you lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Lol oh yeah there were plenty of shows like that here too that involved all the "gunge" as it's known, the green slime, but other colours too. Nothing like seeing people get gunged!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Firebolt102890

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Does Are You Afraid of the Dark count? It was an American and Canadian co-production
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm

I'd say so. For a show that was light on gore some of those stories got dark. Sometimes they actually didn't have happy endings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

How do you post YouTube vids?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

There's buttons above where you type, one says Youtube, press it, then paste the video the link and click insert. You're welome lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I'd be interested in seeing what you have to share Tara, I don't know a lot about Scottish TV Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm

OMG Tara please post Rab C Nesbitt Laughing haha awk I'll post it. Rab C Nesbitt was an 80/90s comedy show (although I just learned there are new series I never knew of lol), set in Scotland somewhere, maybe Glasgow. Rab is a lower class man, loves the drink, barely showers lol and explains the world as he sees it, often ending up in trouble with his wife. He often spoke to the camera, as if he was speaking to us. It was a fun show I used to watch with my dad.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Interesting concept, though I don't think I could tolerate being around someone irl if they didn't shower regularly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaina

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm

omg so many!!!

Life with Derek for sure!!
The Big Comfy Couch was my SHIT. I always did the 10 second tidy and the clock thing
is Mystery Hunters Canadian? That started my obsession with creepy mystery shows!
Uh Oh!
Do you want Fries with That?
Jacob Two Two
PRANK PATROL!!!
How to be Indie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Alaina <3.

These were so fun.

Yep, Mystery Hunters is Canadian. I loved all the stuff they covered from Area 51 to the witch trails to the Macbeth curse to who killed Tut.

I remember one episode this little kid came in and was super annoying but they decided to forgive him because they figured he didn't really get how he was hurting the business but then it turned out that's EXACTLY what his mission had been.

Poor bastard, all his siblings sucked except the oldest brother from time to time. And what an awful school.

The ninjas <3. Looking for this intro I actually found out that there's multiple versions of this show in the UK and Australia and in all of them the theme song is the exact same except the host's name changes. But they also all start with y lol.

Australian version

UK

Diverse storylines <33.

Remember this one?

May be the closest thing to sci-fi I actually liked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaina

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

omgggg all those intros gave me so many feelings! haven't seen those in forever

I remember being so scared to go to bed after mystery hunters lol. It reminded me of Ghost Hunters though! Do you remember that? I enjoyed that a lot too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm

I remember it, though a lot of them blended together cuz they all had similar names and similar groups. The one I remember most is Paranormal State cuz of how hokey it was when the host insisted everything had to be a demon even when people like Lorraine Warren would come out and be like there's nothing malevolent about this force or even there's nothing paranormal here Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am

Yes set in Glasgow Nic lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:21 pm

And now for more things to look back on: horrifying PSA's!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nostalgic Canadian/European TV   

Back to top Go down

Nostalgic Canadian/European TV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next