Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ranking every song from some albums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Ranking every song from some albums   Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm

So I decided to start going through some of the albums I still have (because I apparently still have several), and do what I did for “The Fame”, which is rank the songs in these albums from worst to best.  Now, if you thought my taste in music was bad on IMDb, you haven’t seen anything.  In 2006, I was actually much worse.  Laughing  I used to expunge everything not Christian music or hit music from my daily listenings because country annoyed me to oblivion and I needed something to get my mind off of it.

So I’m going to start off with a soundtrack I can’t believe exists and one I can’t believe I still even have, “Only Hits”.  Basically, 12 songs that were big in late 2006 made it into one soundtrack for some reason I can’t even begin to fathom.  However, I have listened to all the songs on this soundtrack, so once again, I think I can provide some fair reviews on each song.

12. “Laffy Taffy” by D4L – Starting off the list is the 10th song of this CD, Laffy Taffy.  Let’s be honest, this song is an abomination and every time I try listening to this, my brain cells die.  Even back in 2006 when I was an impressionable teen I hated this.  The background music makes me wonder whether or not some bee snorted some crack cocaine and the vocals sound like a seal is fucking a tortoise.  I guess the latter makes sense because it’s a song about shaking your ass?  I don’t know or care.  It’s god-awful and the fact it even exists is an atrocity.

11. “Shoulder Lean by Young Dro ft. T.I.” – The song that comes before Laffy Taffy on the soundtrack is the song right above it here.  I guess this song is more bearable, but that doesn’t say much.  It’s still a really bad song and the chorus is repetitive as fuck.  It's another song I tend to skip from the album whenever I put the soundtrack on.

10. "It's Goin' Down" by Yung Joc - I didn't see this till now, but Yung Joc appaears on the album 3 times, twice as a featuring artist.  The fact that this is the one song on the album he's a solo artist for tells that he isn't exactly someone I would care to remember.  This is the 6th track, but it'll rank 10th place here because it's just dull and boring.  Nothing about this song stands out, which might be way this is better than 2 songs since the songs below this are awful.  Oh don't get me wrong, I'll still skip this track, but I used to not do so.

9. "(When You Gonna) Give It Up To Me" by Sean Paul ft. Keyshia Cole - For this soundtrack's standards, this would be a shocker.  As I remember it very well as the promotional song for the movie Step Up, it became the 1st song on this soundtrack, and as such, I did enjoy it at first.  However, after a re-listen, I had found that it was very poor at standing the test of time as I had found that my interest in the song declined drastically, hence the 9th place ranking.  In a good album, this would now be lucky to stay out of the cellar.  What kills this song for me now is not even Sean Paul, but Keyshia Cole.  It's a miracle I can still even sit through it with her parts in the song.

8. "U and Dat" by E-40 ft. T-Pain & Kandi Girl - Next we have the 5th song in the album and we are getting to songs I can tolerate.  What makes it tolerable to be close to the middle here are a few things.  One, this song is in chorus longer than it spends in its verses, which I don't think I see too often?  It's not that original other than that though.  Secondly, I do find the verses hilariously cheesy, giving a somewhat campy vibe to the song.  The line "Tell your friends I bet they all wanna do me" in particular still makes me laugh.  Is this song trying to one-up its audience?  Laughing  But generally speaking, its still generic and Kandi Girl's part just brings the song down some more.  This song is literally the definition of a "So bad it's good" song, but that doesn't make it a good song.  So 8th is a good place to it here.

7. "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley - Next, we have the 2nd song of the soundtrack.  This song isn't terrible, which alone makes it good enough for the 7-spot.  When I'm listening to it, I never am really disgusted by it, so that's a plus.  This would probably be the first song on the soundtrack that can beat any song from "The Fame", but it only is better than the song I put in the cellar for that album.  Why isn't this any higher?  Because while it doesn't disgust me, it's nothing to write home about either.  It feels rushed, so I can never really get into the song itself and so it just phases by me by the time this song is over.

6. "Me & U" by Cassie ft. Diddy & Yung Joc - I'm kind of conflicted about this 4th song because I did want to put this higher.  Without the remix, this would actually be higher.  However, the remix is the fatal flaw in this song.  The fact it is still doing better than half the songs in the soundtrack even with the remix is a miracle.  Cassie's parts in the song itself are actually good and it really makes for a relaxing song.  However, the two featuring artists only serve to drag this song down and it's just not fair.  If this were just Cassie, this song would get a few more points from me, but as it stands, it's lucky 6th is the furthest I can put it.

5. "Show Stopper" by Danity Kane ft. Diddy and Yung Joc - Just like the previous song I went over, this 7th song is declined due to the remix.  Danity Kane's parts are fine enough that I can listen to this, but I'm not impressed with the fact that Diddy and Yung Joc drag this song down.  It's not as bad here which is why it is in 5th place and not 6th, but I now know one more thing that pisses me off: Yung Joc and Diddy featuring in a remix for the exact same song.

4. "Kick, Push" by Lupe Fiasco - Make no mistake.  There is a HUGE gap between this 11th song in the soundtrack and the song I just discussed.  What makes this song is that it actually kind of tells a story.  Sure, it isn't written out the best of ways, but it's a different song in that it isn't about sex, money, or drugs.  It's about how this kid grows up as a skateboarder, so that alone makes it not terrible, per say.  It's also got relatively nice music, and considering it's after the 2 worst songs in the album as well as 2 god-awful songs in general, this is actually a breath of fresh air.  However, this is as high as this song can go for me.  Something of note is that I've enjoyed Lupe Fiasco more in songs like "Daydreamin'" and "The Show Goes On", so safe to say I will take Lupe Fiasco over quite a few people who have appeared on Only Hits.

3. "What You Know" by T.I. - I'm gonna be honest.  Had I ranked this album in 2006, this would be towards the bottom because, at first, I hated it almost as much as I still hate the bottom 2 songs on this list.  Considering it's the 8th song, it was in a terrible trio group I had grouped together with Shoulder Lean and Laffy Taffy.  BUT after listening to T.I. more on his own with the album "Paper Trail" and then his promotional song for "Takers", I gave this song another chance and I'm glad I did.  This is the one song on this album that actually improved for me as time went by.  It kind of reminds me of the direction T.I. went and I'm glad.  All this brought "What You Know" up to 3rd place in Only Hits, although that doesn't really say much.

2. "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt - After all the fast pace songs this album puts out and what not, to have the last song be more somber and modest can make this feel like an island of its own and I guess that helps the song stand out more?  I don't know, but since it's 2nd place, I can't say I can complain. I like that it's much more modest in comparison even though the song sometimes just does not make sense. I guess it's the latter part of that last sentence that explains why it didn't win this album, but c'est la vie, I guess.

WINNER: "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" by Panic! at the Disco - As the 3rd song on this album, this is around where the album would usually pick up steam for when you get to the non-singles later, so it was smart putting this song on this spot of the album. Now, don't get me wrong, this is still a flawed song and is definitely not among the best 2006 has to offer. BUT because this is Only Hits we're talking about, here we are at Number 1 with this song. It's a welcoming tune and, like "Kick, Push", actually has a coherent meaning as to what this is about. In this case, it's about walking in on a wedding in which the bride "gets around" so to say. Out of all the songs, this is only one that has any sort of endurance, which is why it is Number 1.

So the album itself is obviously a bad album with the added benefit of hindsight, but it could be worse. The fact there are songs I do like at all speaks as to why that is, and at the time, I did like more songs which is why I even have this. But this album I could have gone without and the fact it's stayed with me is astonishing.

Let me know what you think of this ranking if you've listened to these songs, and any albums you might want to rank, please put them in the comments below.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 pm

I would hate when hits of the year CD's would put a good song on, but ruin it by putting a terrible remix of it on instead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Exactly!  Me & U is the biggest example here because it's a good song on its own.  I imagine if they'd not put the remix on and just the original, I could have placed this in my Top 2 for that album, although I would have to go through a lot of deliberation if I wanted to see if the original could have won the album over Panic! at the Disco's entry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DN109

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:10 pm

This CD sounds terrible lmao.

Me & You would probably be my favorite but I haven't heard the remix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

Will do another CD later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Another CD where I remember the songs enough to rank them is Daniel Powter's album titled... well, "Daniel Powter". I will only rank the 10 songs I got in my copy of the album, so "Love You Lately" will NOT be ranked as it was not in my copy! The CD itself got mixed reviews from critics, but this is actually a better CD than the one I posted at the beginning of this thread.

10. Give Me Life - The last song of the album will be the cellar also. To be honest, this is the one song I didn't really like in the album. While it wasn't even terrible, it was about the most Plain Jane song you could ever listen to. I wasn't a humongous fan of this, but it does have its redeeming qualities since I can listen through this.

9. Suspect - A lot of the flaws these songs have is that, some of the time, Daniel Powter does NOT even make sense in his lyrics, and they're a lot of the same things every song. This song is mostly nonsensical when it comes to flaws. In this song, I guess I could listen to this while traveling, so that would make it better than the previous song I talked about, but not by much. It seems so out of place for Daniel to be singing.

8. Free Loop - Kind of like Give Me Life, this is kind of forgettable on its own, BUT this became a single for whatever reason, and I guess I can't complain. It's actually a really chill song. However, whenever I have listened to this album, I never really come to this song to play. There are just many others that trumps this.

7. Lie to Me - Another one of those nonsensical lyrics songs, but it's catchier than the 3 songs below this. In THAT sense, I guess I could come back to this song. However, it isn't really all that memorable. The beginning of the third verse and how the tone just changes for a bit has admittedly gotten stuck in my head, but the rest of the song is really just average.

6. Lost on the Stoop - Now we're getting into the songs I like, and to be honest, I had trouble deciding which song would go here and which would be taking the 5th spot. By a VERY narrow margin, I had to put Lost on the Stoop, the album's longest song, in the 6-spot. I didn't much like it at first, but the more I listened, the more I began to get where it was coming from. This, in turn, helped Lost on the Stoop up. Not enough to really beat any of the songs I fondly remember, but enough to hold its own.

5. Hollywood - Like I said, I had a tough time deciding whether this or Lost on the Stoop would be taking the 5-spot. In fact, when I began writing for Lost on the Stoop, I still wasn't sure if it should have lost to Hollywood. But then I remembered something. This song was in my mouth MUCH more than Lost on the Stoop was, and so I listened to it a lot more and grew into it a lot more, so Hollywood got the nod for 5th place. HOWEVER, I can't place it any higher for reason I am going to explain for the Final 4 songs.

4. Bad Day - Surprised to see Bad Day not be any higher? Well, as much as I like Bad Day, it suffered the same syndrome Poker Face did when I ranked "The Fame". I knew the song coming in, it's the song people listen to if we're listening to Daniel Powter, and so it is too safe to justify going any further. But I can relate SO much with this song and I never got tired of listening to it. I can make sense of these lyrics. However, as time passed, I looked to the Final 3 songs a lot more than I did with Bad Day, so as good as Bad Day is for this album, I can't justify placing it any higher than 4th, and it was a hard decision to make.

3. Styrofoam - Taking the Bronze spot is none other than Styrofoam. The thing I love most about Styrofoam is the instrumental solos. If you listen to solos that appear twice in the song, ending the song the second time it is played, you’ll hear some really beautiful music. And Daniel’s voice blends so well here, so this song as a whole works. However, it’s only 3rd because I just cannot understand this enough to sing it aloud.

2. Song 6 – Like the struggle I had with Lost on the Stoop and Hollywood, it was hard eliminating songs for 4th through 2nd. At one point, I was beginning to write this down for the 3rd place entry and have even considered knocking this out for 4th. However, after a LOT of deliberation, I have decided to give this song the nod for 2nd. While I can’t understand some of the verses, the chorus I cn definitely sing along to, and the music, just like Styrofoam, is beautiful. In an instrumental version of this song, one could argue that it can be a force to be reckoned with, and whoever played the instrumentals should definitely gotten a raise after this song. Because I couldn’t understand all of it, that’s why it didn’t win, but because I understood more of it than Styrofoam, it won 2nd.

WINNER: Jimmy Gets High – So it was actually clear-cut who would win once I decided which song was going for 4th. Jimmy Gets High is not only a song I have sung along to, but I can actually understand what this song is, how to sing it, and I can relate to this, much like Bad Day. But unlike Bad Day, this isn’t a safe pick for first place. It is also beautifully played like Styrofoam and Song 6, and to a lesser extent, Hollywood. What the other songs do right, Jimmy Gets High gets them all into one song and I’m really glad. I’m glad to say I have been introduced to this song and listened to the whole album.

So as a whole, the album, while flawed, is still miles better than Only Hits. It's really relaxing as a whole, and once I got past the mess of lyrics, it was actually really re-listenable. As with last time, let me know what you think of this ranking if you've listened to these songs, and any albums you might want to rank, please put them in the comments below.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyogre123
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 am

I remember when Bad Day was EVERYWHERE. Laughing The only song of his that I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I know Jimmy Gets High, Love You Lately and Bad Day (of course), but that's probably because he was Canadian so the Canadian station played a few of his other singles besides Bad Day. lol I'm curious if you liked Love You Lately since it wasn't in the listing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I acutally have not listened to that song Merriska, though I probably should. Had I listened to the song, I would have included in in the ranking. I could listen to it at some point and tell you where I would rank it had it been included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Yeah you can if you want, I don't want to be pushy lol. I'm enjoying these rankings though. Maybe I should do it with some of the hit compilation CD's I had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Well, that's what this thread is for Merriska Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ranking every song from some albums   

Back to top Go down

Ranking every song from some albums
View previous topic View next topic Back to top