HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dan's Movie Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Joey Lawrence is a king. I bought the first two seasons of Blossom last year and forgot what a fun show it was. I used to watch it when I was little in the early 90's with my mom so it really brings me back. I forgot what a broken home Blossom is from. Super underrated show.

The Rest Stop sequel isn't too bad, but I remember (keep in mind I only saw it once though) that they gave away too much back story of the killer and the family in the RV which made it way less creepy. The first film was disengaged from reality but still felt like it could actually happen which made it really, really spooky, and I think adding a few friends (sorta like a Joy Ride) as security takes away from the experience a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I saw either Rest Stop or Rest stop 2, can't remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:50 am

XX (2017)

I have a few reviews that I plan to write, but I wanted to comment on this horror anthology because I didn't want to forget the individual segments. All four are told from a female's perspective, which seems to be the film's tick... each one has elements of feminism and act as a commentary of being a woman in society.

"The Box"

The movie kind of blows its wad early with easily it's best segment, which involves a mysterious affliction/curse befalling an everyday cookie-cutter family one-by-one when a woman's family stops eating and slowly dies of starvation over the Christmas season. Not only is it well done and acted, but it really packs an emotional punch and has a curious/dreadful air of mystery to it. It has easily the best mini-story of the four segments and I'd love to see this one adapted to a full movie. #1 of 4.

"The Birthday Party"

The weakest of the four, by far. Not only is it boring at times, but it seems a bit devoid of anything horror. A woman's husband dies; from what, I'm not sure... perhaps he drank himself to death. Instead of doing what anybody would do (call 911), she decides to hide his body so her daughter could have the perfect birthday party. Madness ensues. Meh, not terrible, just bland and illogical. #4 of 4.

"Don't Fall"

The most slashery one of the bunch, which is good for mindless fun. Four hippies travel to bumfuck nowhere, where they upset the Native-American spirits (or something... does it even really matter?) and end up paying the price when one of them get possessed and people start dying. Hardly original or remarkable and nothing is present that you haven't seen in other backwoods horror, but the fun is still there nonetheless. #3 of 4.

"Her Only Living Son"

The movie does end on something of a high note with this one, which involves a mother and her delinquent son who seems to be oddly worshipped by his school despite being a bully punk who really needs a good backhanding upside the head. The mother is in over her head as she struggles to reconcile how to shelter her son from the evils of his father and how to raise him as he becomes a monster in today's world. It comes to a tense and dark conclusion that ends the anthology right, though I did feel that there was a sense of wasted potential with this one because the story was quite intriguing and didn't seem simple-enough as a mere "anthology" tale. It could use its own movie, as well. #2 of 4.

There wasn't a wraparound in this one. Instead, the segments are connected through odd Claymation-like animations that added a cute element to the anthology. Nothing earth-shattering or memorable by any means, but pleasant on the eyes nonetheless. As a whole, I would give the anthology (now available to watch on Netflix) a 7/10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

I didn't like The Box! I actually turned the XX off because I was so disappointed with it. It was literally the only reason I wanted to see the movie and while it was unsettling, I wanted to know what was in The Box so bad. I feel like the filmmakers didn't even know what was in it. It was based on a work by Jack Ketchum who is an awesome writer too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 pm

I got the sense that there wasn't anything in the box, at least not in the physical sense. Rather, it was something abstract, almost like a curse/disease that suppressed the appetite and could be passed on from person to person at a later date if someone dared to describe it. That's why the curse stopped at the father; he probably wanted to spare his wife from the affliction and was willing to die to assure that it didn't get passed on.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:14 pm

I thought something similar. I kinda like the idea of it being a curse/disease more than something physical. It makes more sense because realistically what could possibly be bad enough to cause somebody to stop eating especially when they weren't there to witness it. I wonder who the guy was bringing The Box too? Scary shit. Maybe I'll watch the test of the movie at some point! I heard "Her Only Living Son" was good (like you said).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arik

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am

I'm late to talk about this movie but I just watched The Belko Experiment and it was really good.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Welcome back to the horror section, Arik!  Heart  Regarding The Belko Experiment,

Spoiler:

If you liked this one, you should seek out House of 9 (2004) and Hunger (2009). Both involve the trapping of a group of strangers and incorporate a heavy dose of the Lord-of-the-Flies element just as this one does. Train to Busan (recently released foreign zombie flick) also briefly taps into that unpleasant side of humanity, as well. I like those types of movies that show how heartless and mean-spirited people can be when they're trapped, afraid of dying, and forced to sacrifice others to ensure their own survival.
Back to top Go down
Arik

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 pm

I may have to check those out...
So I had a movie marathon day that consisted of
The Belko Experiment
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Being Charlie
Dead Rising 2
13 Sins
And The Final Girls

The Final Girls was amazing. It's about a group of teenagers that are watching a cheesy 80s slasher flick, when they get sucked into the movie. They soon realize that the only way they can get home is to complete the movie by killing the villain. Adam Devine and Nina Dobrev are just two of the stars that make a great cast. The characters from the 80s slasher flick are so stereotypical that it's hilarious. It's a great watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I loved The Final Girls. I especially loved the slutty counselor who was grinding that one guy and was forced to be duct tapped into the life jacket so that she couldn't remove her top. lmao, I should watch it again soon. It's been a couple of years now.

What did you think of 13 Sins? I keep passing on it, yet it is constantly being added/removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I also keep passing on 6 Souls as well... for some reason they just never pop out as must watches for me.
Back to top Go down
Arik

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes she was my favorite character too.

13 Sins was decent. Had a few good twists and turns and a few obvious ones, but it was hard to connect with any characters so they all seemed boring to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Black Butterfly (2017)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Antonio Banderas do battle at a remote cabin when one of them takes the other hostage. Which one is good and which one is evil? I'd be spoiling it if I told you. I wasn't really expecting the world with this one, but it was moving down an interesting path until it settled out to be something less than I was hoping. I really can't go too much further in that, but it was a lukewarm thriller at best. At least Piper Perabo is still acting, right? 6/10

Desierto (2015)

Now available free to watch on Amazon. A group of Mexicans attempt to make a safe cross into the United States, but an angry American takes the law into his own hands when he feels that patrol has gotten too soft on enforcing the border. This normal standard shooter desert stalking picture would probably fade in the woodworks if not for the racial twist along with turbulent illegal-immigration politics behind it that is still a contentious issue in today's politics. I won't get into how I feel about all that, but as a movie, it works well enough and is not as tasteless as others with similar subject matter (particularly Undocumented, which I have bad memories of). 7/10

The Devil's Candy (2015)

I had been waiting for what seemed like forever to see this one, and it didn't disappoint one bit. An offbeat rocker family makes a move to a new home where they come face-to-face with evil and one of the devil's helpers is intent on kidnapping the daughter and offering her for sacrifice. The family is likeable enough and the villain is scary enough. It's a movie that's intense and to the point. Available to watch on Netflix. 7/10

Havenhurst (2016)

Julie Benz stars as a recovering alcoholic who moves into an apartment complex that contains an evil that kills those who fall back into their bad vices. She knows something is wrong with the place because her friend lived in the same building and is now nowhere to be found. I was really enjoying it as the mystery unfolded, but I haven't had a movie whose ending pissed me off so badly as this one in a while. I really wanted to give it a 1 or 2 to make my point, but when I enjoy 95% of a movie, I'm sort of forced to at least give it a 5/10 for the sake of fairness. Oh, and I officially despise Fionnula Flanagan... the woman definitely knows how to play a wretched old cunt.

The Summoning (2017)

Don't. Even. Fucking. Bother. Awful movie. I couldn't even begin to summarize the plot because to me it was a incoherent, boring disaster from start to finish. I wouldn't have ever even watched it if it didn't share the exact same title as a cheapie little slasher that isn't really all that great either. To make things simple, avoid things titled "The Summoning" period. You'll be sparing yourself any unnecessary pain. 2/10

Scarred (2013)

A man convinces his aunt to take a few of her models out to the woods to shoot a low-budget horror movie, but two fucked-up man-children wreak havoc on their shoot when bodies start piling up. They must have decided later on in the shooting that their characters would just do photo shoots of the models (instead of mimicking horror scenes) because if your movie can't be good, at least show off your actresses in various states of dress/undress in hopes of distracting us from the lack of substance? Regardless, this is just another one of those countless botched slashers that is out there not worth discovering... throw it in the trash and be glad you never watched it! It's NOT worth the time. 3/10

Nocturne (2016)

Sista Garrett recommended this one to me Heart and he knows just what I like. A group of young adults get together for an intimate party to celebrate their graduation, but things get freaky when they create their own Ouija board and summon a spirit and forget to say goodbye to it when things get heated. Clearly none of them have ever seen a horror movie EVER to do this, but that's good for our entertainment. This one does have that little creepy vibe drizzled all throughout. I guess it's really only available on Showtime? I had to buy the DVD because I'm not that lucky to have that channel, but I recommend it to all horror fans. It's decent. 7/10

House on Willow Street (2016)

Sharni Vinson (from You're Next) is back for another dose of horror in this movie, except as one of the villains (later turned protagonists) who kidnap a girl from her home on Willow Street in hopes of obtaining a hefty ransom. However, they start to regret it when the girl turns up to be possessed and they start feeling the wrath of her horror. Like Nocturne, this one has that creepy/off-putting Netherworldly quality to it because it's taking place entirely at night and there's no one else around except our doomed characters. I'd say that along with The Devil's Candy, it's probably one of the better Netflix offerings as of recent. Check it out. 7/10
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:16 pm

*immediately looks up Havenhurst's end*

Omg that's infuriating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Omg Merriska, it was so brutal. I was almost heartbroken at how much that ending disappointed me because up to that point, I really kinda fucking loved the movie. lol

Havenhurst is on Netflix, btw. Watch if you dare.

Btw, watching Havenhurst is part of the reason why I decided to rewatch Toolbox Murders (2004). Both are kinda similar.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:16 am

It's not all a dream is it? Is it something worse? Ugh now I'm gonna have to watch it. You said it's on Netflix? Maybe I'll watch it tonight. I haven't even looked at Netflix in a few weeks. I know Rogue One is on there which I still have to watch. I don't talk about it much, but I love the Star Wars movies (like most people lol).

Omg an Arik sighting!! Post in here more! My friend <3. Maybe when American Idol comes back we'll make a thread for it in the TV section and talk about it like we used to. I'm not sure if you plan on watching it though.

Anyways, A+ reviews Dan! Always love reading them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm tempted to watch it now just so if it turns out to be terrible I can hatewatch it with Bobby. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm

I'll keep mum so that I don't spoil it. The movie is worth watching for Julie Benz, at least... and it is enjoyable enough. Maybe it'll be a good one to watch again someday when I know what to expect...
Back to top Go down
Arik

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:11 pm

I'll try to be more active here, and yes I'll probably watch idol lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Dan, Bobby, May May, anyone else who wishes to join in lol.

Top 3 favourite horror movies of the 1980s? That is more my era. I don't watch modern ones really.

1. The Thing
2. Aliens
3. The Fly

I absolutely love all 3. They're just flawless lol but The Thing is my all time favourite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Would you really class Aliens as horror ? It's more action and sci-fi to me... still a fantastic movie, of course, one of those that withstands repeated viewings.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's difficult to judge horror movies....I'll give you an example, when Nightmare on elm street came out in the mid 80s, it was awesome. I went to the cinema to see it, and I have to admit, one of the few times I actually "jumped" in my seat lol. Watching it now though, it hasn't really stood the test of time. So it's difficult, do I rate them as I remember them from first viewing, or as I see them now?

1. The evil dead
2. The Thing
3. Pet Semetary

Special mention for Fright Night, such a fun movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 pm

It's one of those movies that fits into a few different genres. It has horror elements to it. A few jump scares, gruesome kills etc. Lol I don't get the hate for Alien Resurrection. I also love it Laughing the only one I didn't like was Alien 3. Haven't seen the latest one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

I think re-assessment is fair, and necessary. I always have to adjust my ratings after a second or third watch. Most times for the better, but once in a while for the worst..

I have a few movies that I probably rated a bit harsh the first time. Beneath (2013) was about a bunch of miners getting caved in and suffering from visions. For some reason, I gave it a 4/10 the first time, but I don't even recall it being that offensively bad to deserve that low rating so I plan to re-analyze that one soon. Sometimes, a movie just doesn't satisfy you in a way that you were hoping so you rate it low as a result but revisit it with full knowledge of what to expect, then you realize that it's not that bad at all. This happened with Contamination and Graduation Day. Both were rated fairly low but got bumped to a 6/10 upon re-watch.

You're Next is one that I rated down after rewatching it. Absolutely terrific movie that I rated a 10/10 the first time I watched. After rewatch though, I saw some of its finer flaws and realized that it's nowhere near perfect status to deserve a 10/10 though it's a very good slasher, probably the best to have come out in this decade.

Now, I will only give a 9/10 at most on a new watch.

I usually only give classics that I grew up watching or loved despite flaws loving that "elite" 10/10 rating, or some that I found lived up to their prestine reputation and I could understand why they deserve that respect. Some examples of my favorites:
1: Halloween: Terrific Indie, Helped Codify the Slasher Conventions, Amazing Villain, Good Final Girl (who transforms to someone who can hold her own in the next sequels), Creepy moments.
2. Halloween II: Sure, the movie itself is not perfect. However, it is perfect for a sequel. Unlike many other horror sequels, this one follows right after the events of the original and makes it a point to bring back most of the cast of the original. The quirky elements needed to be there for this to fit into the crazy early 80s slasher mold (the original was from the 70s) so I can't even hold those against this one. Plus, I think Laurie's chase is better in this one than in the original.
2. Alien - You mentioned Aliens, which I feel is basically the first one retold on a grander-scale and more family-friendly in Ripley finding a potential love interest and a replacement daughter. Still, the basic idea of aliens dwindling her army down to the point that it's basically just her left to dispatch them (just as it was in the original) is the same so I'd classify both as horror with heavy sci-fi/action elements. Aliens is a 9/10 - As good of a sequel as it is, it does have a few major plot holes that always cross my mind when I watch. Those aside, I found the slasher-in-space scenario of the original far more scary/effective than a war-in-space that Aliens focuses on. Stellar pair of movies, though.
3. The Shining - This movie really just got under my skin as a kid. I hear that you'd hate the movie if you read the book, which is probably why I haven't read it. lol. People really hate on Shelley Duvall and Jack Nicholson, but you really got the sense of an abusive relationship between these two characters and I felt that they played their roles to perfection.
4. Tremors - Awesome monster movie. It scared me as a kid, but it still holds up well for entertainment. The graboid is such a good creature design and the comedy is so well mixed in with the tense, creepy parts that it's impossible to hate this movie.
5. The Silence of the Lambs - Another one that gave me the heebee-geebees back when I first saw it. Some wouldn't call it horror, but it sure scared me more than most horror movies so I would call it one based on that alone.
6. [REC] gets the top for truly frightening me as an adult and being so to-the-point. Unsettling sequel too, though I haven't given that one a 10/10 yet just because for it to exist, there had to be some plot holes that I just can't give it perfect status.

I've been meaning to revisit The *Original* Evil Dead. I do know that I liked the original more than its sequel, which seems to be the fan favorite of that franchise.

But then with Fright Night, I liked the sequel a bit more than the original. I should revisit the original though... part of me thinks I might have watched it on an off-night.

The Thing <3 I didn't hate the prequel either... another good pair of movies.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm

LOL there's been a couple of times a person has asked me to suggest a "light" horror movie to watch. Something not too scary and both times I suggested Tremors. It's so much fun but it also scared me as a kid. Underground God damn monsters Laughing

One of my favourite scenes.

"Must be a million of em'!"

"Nope, just one!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Burt and Heather <3 they were my favs lol
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Broke into the wrong Goddamn rec room, didn't you you bastarrrrd! Laughing lol did you see the second and third? The second was alright but third was absolutely awful, even with Bert in it. I remember a scene when he gets ate and you think that's the end of him, but then he has a tracker on him and somehow gets dug up from inside the damn graboid lol it was so stupid. The original Tremors is the only one worth watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Dan's Movie Reviews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next