Dan's Movie Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 am

Here Alone (2016)

This is pretty good movie pertaining to life after a viral outbreak kills off most of civilization and rendered those not dead zombies, except one average-Jane-turned-survivalist who goes through the motions of life in the world of the undead as she forages for food to survive. Life gets complicated when she rescues a young girl and her stepfather from certain doom. I've seen movies like this before (Population: 2 and Dead Within, neither of which were anything to write home about) but never with as good as results as this one. The drama element is done especially well and the characters are likeable enough. About the only criticism that I have for it is that it could've used more zombie action... the movie was slow at times. However, if you get into it, you'll experience a sucker-punch ending that sort of makes you wonder what you'd do if you were in our heroine's shoes. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Slasher.com (2017)

Sometimes, you just have to rate things a bit higher based on sheer entertainment and entertainment alone. In rare cases, terrible acting, awful cinematography, and messy plots aren't enough to bring down a movie. This one probably suffers from all three and definitely looks cheap, but I had such a good time with it the other night that I have to give it a shout out. It also helps that I was expecting some awful gadget-centric movie about the dangers of dating apps, but this wasn't that at all despite having a title that would seem so. A couple meets on a phone app and decides that their first date would be spent at a cabin in woods like that was ever a good idea. However, they choose the wrong cabin to stay at because the owners are fucking crazy. It doesn't help that there's a psycho going around killing women so you know that he's going to show up eventually, as well. Jewel Shepard pretty much steals every scene that she's in with her overall weirdness. Wild movie, but not recommended for people who are used to the of finer side of cinema. This is definitely more for bottom feeders, like me and Bobby. Razz 8/10

Last edited by A-Supreme on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 am

Whispers (2015)

I was in the mood for a good ghost movie with some emotional punch, but unfortunately I didn't really get that with this one. With a rating of 7.1/10 on IMDb, you'd expect at least something a bit above-average but there seems to be a lot of shill ratings on this title if you look at the distribution (so many 10s... um yeah sure). This seems to be a slow-moving drama about an estranged husband and wife attempting to piece their lives back together in the wife's childhood home after they've lost their child. When their sleazy friends show up to announce that they're expecting a baby, that doesn't bode very well for the wife who starts to lose her sanity when a presence in the home starts to torment her in rather cliché ways (locking her in the wine cellar, giving her nightmares, ect). As if the movie doesn't move slow enough, it does little things to remind us that this is a horror movie yet. For example.... there's a lot of oh there's a shadow that crawls across the corner of the screen in the mirror - I'll pretend like that scared me moments in this. Overall, this isn't really anything special, but it's not a complete lost cause either just because the elements were there for a good story but it just wasn't blended right. Just don't expect anything of stellar quality, because it for sure is not that. I would give it no more than 5/10.

Elle (2015)

French drama/psychological thriller. A middle-aged woman gets raped in her own home by a masked intruder. While she seems fairly unaffected by it at first, she eventually spends a good portion of the movie trying to find out who her assailant is when he proceeds to stalk her. Then, when she finds out, she proceeds to play her own game with him and it doesn't really play out like any of the rape-revenge movies I've seen in the past. A good portion of the movie explores just who Michele is and how her relationships tend to work. Her past is clouded by a mass-murderer father who has brought a lot of hate to her life (hence justifying why she has such a nonchalant response to abuse, as seen from the very start). There's a lot going on with her and her relationships, and several men she knows are suspects in the stalking aspect of the film. Sex is a big part of Michele's life as a single divorcee. The movie explores darker sides of sexual desires/fetishes when Michele plays her own mingame with her rapist, though it does it in a without being overly gratuitous or simple. It wasn't as focused on revenge as I was expecting/hoping, but I thought this was a pretty decent story overall that takes itself off the beaten path a little bit to make our lead character more of a complex character and less of a Camille Keaton/Sarah Butler anti-hero type as seen several times before. I didn't mind the 2hr&11min run time at all. 8/10
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 am

Oh I really want to see Elle. I think I've said this before, but Paul Verhoeven is a badass, a god, and one of my overrall favorite filmmakers. I even like his "lesser" films like Hollow Man, which I've seen a ton of times and love, and Showgirls which is obviously a masterpiece and unfairly has had to stay strong against the haters since 1995. A true gay icon <3. Plus he casts Sharon Stone quite a bit (well in two films), and you all know how much I love her and am a fan of literally everything she has ever done. Total Recall I think was actually my favorite film of hers? It's just such an oddly sexy role and performance? Like I would totally pretend to be some hot guy's husband, give him something to dream about, and kick his ass when he knows too much <3. No, but really I fucking love that movie and it might be my favorite Paul Verhoeven film? Either that, Basic Instinct, or RoboCop. I actually even kinda like the remake. It's a bit more Blade Runner influenced than the original, but it's fun in parts, and Colin Farrell looks good. Doesn't come close to the original though. Oh and I kinda like Starship Troopers a ton too? Casper Van Dien <3. Dan, I'm glad Elle was so good though, and it's great to see Verhoeven still doing films after having such an awful experience in the late 90's. I wonder if he'll ever come back to Hollywood and make a new action/science fiction film? I wish he would. I guess he was put off though because it was the only type of film he was trusted with after Showgirls. He pretty much quit after Hollow Man (which I think is actually more of a slasher film?).

I watched Criminally Insane from 1975 and its sequel Crazy Fat Ethel 2 a couple nights ago lmao. What howlers!! So many fantastic quotes my gawd. Criminally Insane I would actually buy and treasure (it's very 1975 and grind house too). The sequel I gave a 1 :p. What a piece of shit lol. Hope though <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:26 am

Basic Instinct and Hollow Man are both pretty good, but incorporate a good deal of sexual content that could be seen as obscene and taboo. From what I've seen Paul Verhoeven's works always pushes the envelope on sex in cinema.

Hollow Man does have that "stuck in a confined space with a killer" thing going for it (or against it, if you are a critic), and I believe there were a lot of POV shots from the invisible killer so I tend to think of it as being a sci-fi/slasher hybrid with a bit of 'Entity' mixed in given that the invisible antagonist raped women. It's not hard to imagine people not liking this one... aside from the Sci-fi spin, I wouldn't set it apart from the other post-Scream horrors of its time.

The sex scenes in Basic Instinct were pretty extreme and some almost looked like rape, and let's not forget this memorable vadge shot (NSFW):
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4n8blvAtO1qcrvz7o1_500.gif

Elle definitely has some similar content in terms of nudity and sex, but I haven't looked too deeply into why its been reviewed so much more positively than some of his previous works. I will say that it seems to be played more for real rather than being a sci-fi/action or neo-noir/crime film, though I think Basic Instinct was reviewed favorably at least for it to have gotten a few Oscar nods? Maybe times have changed enough for people to be more open minded on the content Verhoeven wishes to deal with in his films. But in any case, with Elle's success, I'm sure he'll be making more stuff in the future. Smile

I've never seen Showgirls lol. RoboCop is on my list because I do own the original, and the two sequels are on Amazon right now for free viewing so I do have to jump on it before they disappear.
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Man everybody got AIDS and shit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

A-Supreme wrote:
RoboCop is on my list because I do own the original, and the two sequels are on Amazon right now for free viewing so I do have to jump on it before they disappear.

I love RoboCop 2. RoboCop 3 not so much. I saw RoboCop 3 on the big screen when I was little with my mom and remember loving it, but it's really diluted compared to the first two films which are both ultra violent and satirical. Critics loved the first film, but some critics thought the second film was too mean spirited and because of that didn't like it very much. It's funny because when I was little I always thought they were all family movies lol even though the first two were hard R's. I would always see RoboCop's action figures in the toy stores, and they even had an animated series I believe. It's interesting looking back that they sold such a violent and drug filled (the second especially) series to kids. I guess it was a different time. Terminator also had a bunch of toys and stuff, but T2 I can kinda see more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

I saw T2 on cable as a kid too and always thought it was an actionized family film, as well. Shocked It wasn't until I watched it as an adult where I picked up on how cold Sarah Connor was to her son and how vicious of a movie it really was. I guess it can be thought of as a family movie, but like Aliens, definitely geared toward adults. Granted, they cut out a lot of the T-1000's stabbing and stuff on TV so maybe that helped build the illusion a bit. The sequence where Arnold gets lowered into the molten pit always stuck with me throughout the years and definitely seemed more of a valuable lesson to children regarding losing a parent/protector.

Speaking of seeing stuff on TV and getting the wrong idea.... I also saw Tremors on TBS and loved the comedy of it all. When I got the VHS tape and saw the slasher-like beginning (especially the sequence where the graboid pulls the car under the sand), I was totally freaked out by it and didn't even want to go camping. lol, I admit that Tremors really got me as a kid and I totally blame my fright on catching the movie late on TV. I think I started watching at the part where the first graboid hits the wall and by that point, the comedy had taken full effect and the suspense/horror was left in the dust. Just seeing the graboid taking down the horse would've been enough for me to change the channel, but I missed that part by what seemed like a minute.

My friend Whitney and I used to watch Lifetime thrillers and change the channel at the scary parts. This was when we were like 10 lol. I remember this one where the heroine took down this psychopath with a knife and she seemed dead. When the psycho woke up and spontaneously lunged at our hero to stab her, Whitney changed the channel. I also remember staying up late to watch Scy-Fy originals and when things got too intense, I changed the channel until I had the nerve to go back to watch. I miss the days when TV movies were truly frightening. I was such a wimp when it came to this stuff. anguish
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 pm

The scene where Arnold gets lowered into the molten pit is super effective. I'm pretty sure I used to hide my face when I watched it when I was little because it would always make me cry <3. Kyle would have really loved John (he already had so much respect for him in the future not knowing that was his child), and I always thought it was so poignant how much Sarah still loved Kyle even though she only knew him for one night. It's so weird that Kyle wasn't even born yet when the events of T2 were happening. I know judgement day never actually happened according to James Cameron (the studio forced him to tack on an open ending), so I always wondered if Sarah would go see Kyle when he became an adult (you know just to see him). She'd be so old though so it would never work lol. It must make her feel a little better to know the love of her life would actually get to possibly live a full life even if it is without her.

Dan, I've never actually seen Tremors. I always knew of them and noticed them when I went to the video store, but the premise just never did much for me. I was never really in to creatures or whatever the hell those things were. I would always go for different types of horror or action movies. I'm sure they're amazing though and I'll put them on my watch list. Reba is in the first, right? It has to be sensational then.

You turning the channel when Lifetime thrillers got too scary <333.

Hey, watch Criminally Insane and its sequel at some point if you haven't seen them if you can. They're both on YouTube and are only about an hour long each. We need to have an in depth discussion about both lol. I really want to know what you think of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Lifetime thrillers <33. They're so cheesy and it's always some crazy guy in love with our female protagonist. <3 Or in rare cases a crazy lady trying to take someone's identity.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

The first Tremors is pretty good and a must-see for any horror fan. The rest, you can take or leave though I find them inoffensive for the most part but definitely not necessary to watch. Tremors 2 is probably my least favorite of the bunch. I'll check out Criminally Insane and let you know what I think. I am always up for a grindhouse movie, but that sequel sounds awful. lol

Speaking of Lifetime thrillers...

If I Die Before I Wake (1998)

I'm not sure if the following aired on Lifetime, but I do know that aside from a few f-bombs and a pretty disturbing rape scene, this one totally reminded me of a Lifetime thriller and it wouldn't surprise me if they had aired on the network a time or two back in the day. It just screams TV production to me, but I can't find much info out about it. Still, it's a surprisingly great movie. A teenaged girl must protect her young sister when a trio of thugs break into her home at night and take her family hostage. As her family gets brutalized, the girls must find a way to escape. When escaping is no longer an option, the older sister must then take down the thugs all by herself. Yes, it sounds like You're Next, but this one predates that one by over 12 years! For as good as this was and for as long as its been out, I'm really surprised that no one ever talks about this. It does go to show that some great movies do get buried over time along with the bad ones. Clocking in at like 70 minutes, it makes the most out of its running time. To the point that I didn't even mind that the movie jumped right into the home invasion in the first ten minutes without developing its characters... after all, most bigger productions would give us some family time so that we got to know the soon-to-be-victims, but this movie makes it clear as day that we're talking about the normal 'cookie-cutter' family here which drives home its point that it could happen to you and your family. So, admiration does have to come with how the movie managed to cut out the clichéd shit and still make for one hell of a good thrill-ride. 9/10 - Looks like my rating bumped the movie from 5.5 to 5.6. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:27 pm

I unearthed a few reviews... I forgot to post these earlier. Oops. Take them as they are... I'm not sure if I even edited them but it's been too long for me to vidily remember the details.

Rings (2017)

I have to admit, I have rather mixed feelings on this movie with most of my thoughts bordering on the bad rather than the good. Creepy Samara continues to hop out of TVs/phones/airplane monitors (!) to kill and her M.O. has not changed one bit, though it's a bit outdated and confined to VHS which isn't exactly popular forms of entertainment in this day of age so her video has sat dormant until one poor sucker makes the mistake of discovering it and watching it. The movie starts out being as Ring cliche as it can be, which is merely only a notch above the sheer parodiness of the Scary Movie films. Seriously, the only thing missing here was Pamela Anderson. The main issue was that the whole reason for this intro was probably to educate the current-day teenyboppers on what creepy little Samara does seven days after someone curses themselves with her freaky video. Anyway, our intro victim starts telling two chicks about it (with "Have you heard about this tape?" actually being uttered here...). Then, Samara gets him and fast forward to two years when the video starts to make its rounds and a college professor for whatever reason has comes into possession of the VHS and makes it digital, studying it and then cursing his students by having them watch it, and then saving them by having them make a copy to infect other students to save themselves. It sounds like a promising mystery at first when our heroine's boytoy goes missing and she has to track him down at his creepy university, but I guess the professor is actually a good guy in the end...? I admit, it didn't take me very long to get very lost in this muddled plot. I swear to god, NOTHING makes sense here. Our heroine saves her boytoy from the curse by cursing herself, but she can't make a copy of the video because it has different plans for her and a new video evolves from her somehow. I don't even remember The Ring Two well enough to know how well this connects, if at all. Yeah, it's a Ring movie in every sense of the word, but it has such a direct-to-video tone to it that if you go in expecting a mystery as awesomely scary as the first, you're going to be disappointed. Luckily, I can stomach the bad stuff pretty good but more discerning viewers will hate this. Disappointing, but some of the kill scenes were fun in a 2002 throw back sort of way. 5/10

Fear, Inc. (2016)

Have you ever wanted to put your and your friends in a slasher situation by paying terrifying people in costumes to stalk you guys in the night for the thrill of it? No? Well, I guess some people in the land of horror-comedy do hence there is Fear, Inc., which specializes in recreating horror situations for its paying customers. And, well, the problem is that the company actually offs its customers so I'm not sure how they ever get paid but maybe they aren't in it for the money. Poor Abigail Breslin gets the Drew Barrymore treatment in the opening, and then we are introduced to the oddest choice of protagonist ever in a surfer meathead type who some are calling the most annoying horror-movie protagonist ever. It's rather perplexing, and his girlfriend (or wife?) is loaded so they live in a very nice house in California. Their friends come and after a night of drinking, doing coke, and horsing around, our meathead decides to call Fear, Inc., for the hell of it even though his friend warned him that these people were probably SHADY and SHOULD NOT be called. Then it's like an hour of amusing shenanigans. I'm not sure what to really say about this other than the fact that it was an odd experience... not as satisyfing as it could've, but not a complete lost cause either. There were far too many tacked-on twists and it waited until literally the last moment to be the movie that I wanted it to be, but it at least dared to try something different. 6/10

A few more recent reviews... lots of catching up to do, I admit. Potential spoilers included... I'll try to be vague, but stuff can always be inferred. I'll try to spoiler-out the ones where I feel I could reveal too much...

Life (2017)

I really didn't love this one as much as I was hoping, and I am still a bit unsure why I was so underwhelmed by it because on paper this was my type of movie. An alien lifeform picks off a group of astronaunts... it's been done before (both better and worse than this one), but I just didn't love it this time. The promos looked so promising, too. I do know part of the problem is the presence of bigger-name actors, which is nothing against Ryan Reynolds/Jake Gyllenhaal, but you're supposed to think that EVERYONE is at risk in these kind of movies for them to work best.
Spoiler:

The alien lifeform also becomes nothing more than a Flubber-like presence that can survive without oxygen and has a knack for getting places where it's not supposed to go. It's just not scary and its unfortunate that the most disturbing death scene is the poor test rat's... and I fucking hate rats. I guess advertisers or somebody caused a bit of trouble for making a Spider-Man/Venom connection to this movie. At least making this a Spider-Man spinoff would make this a little more than a mere Alien knockoff. Just saying. 6/10

No Good Deed (2014)

Did you know that if you collect codes from five Sony releases, you can earn a free movie? Well, I got this one from Sony for free. As expected, the movie is basic home-invasion fare with a dumb heroine who makes you want to scream at the screen for her stupidity, but my god what an amazing soundtrack! It seriously competes with some of the classics, in my opinion. The movie probably would be 5/10, but the soundtrack alone makes it a 6/10. Give a few of the tracks a listen and see what you think...

Evolution (2015)

Ugh, I'm going to catch hell for saying this but I'm really starting to dislike this brand of 'art-house' horror that focuses on weird, beautiful scenery over a substantial plot that doesn't leave the viewer wanting. I caught it on Netflix which is crawling with these kind of movies and I wasn't really impressed with it. You can always spot an art-house critical darling if the run-time is around 80 minutes or shorter because there's not a substantial - or interesting for that matter - story being told. Yet, everyone talks it up to be something special when it's really not. You're not missing much with this one... but that's only my opinion. Yawn 5/10.

The Belko Experiment (2016)

The Office meets Battle Royale. And I've seen neither so whatever there. Still, upon watching this I had a fond memory of that British film House of Nine with the lucious Kelly Brook that's somewhat similar in execution. John Gallagher, Jr. plays a pretty decent hero character in this and I really enjoyed seeing him stick it to some corporate assholes. With movies like Hush and 10 Cloverfield Lane under his belt, he's becoming one of my favorite Scream kings. 7/10

You Are Not Alone (2014)

The interesting aspect of this one is that it is a completely first-person perspective movie. I've seen the concept tinkered with in one of the V/H/S/ anthologies (maybe the 2nd one that had the guy with a camera eye?). We are seeing everything from the heroine's perspective, as though we ourselves are in her shoes and being stalked. The concept isn't completely successful and the first hour is ridiculously slow with highly unnecessary character development, but once a creepy man in a mask shows up at her window and begins breaking into her home, the movie gets good. Cut out a lot of the fat and this could've been something special, but as it is, you've still got a decent 6/10.

The Hunted (2013)

Okay, I have to admit that this one really took me by surprise. It's found footage, but done reasonably well though the camera always did conveniently get decent shots of our characters and some parts didn't make sense for them to be filming. Still, the device isn't as ridiculously used as seen in 99% of the other found-footage movies out there where someone is being chased to their death while still holding a camera for shits and giggles. Plot: Two hunters (one being Josh Stewart from The Collector) go out to a secluded woods to drop a buck that's shown up on trail cams but never seen in person, but they end up finding something entirely differently and scary. I really don't want to speak a whole lot about it, but I found the movie very creepy and unsettling in how it plays out. It actually stuck with me after it was over, but that was also compounded with the fact that I watched the extra on the DVD where Josh Stewart (who also wrote and directed this) told of a real-life encounter with something similar to that in this movie. Yes, this is based on a true story which sounds ridiculous but if you do your research, other people have had similar experiences as he did in West Virginia and reading those accounts also chills you to the bone just as this movie does. Slow spots (and found footage aside), you need to seek the one out and give it a watch. 9/10

Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (2015)

Finally, one that I've been waiting forever to see released. A found-footage about a foreign "director" (basically just an Average Joe with a camera) trying to convince Anne Hathaway (yes, THE Anne Hathaway) of starring in his twisted movie. To show his vision to the Hollywood starlet, he recruits three actresses who look eerily similar to her to do his documentary, with horrifying results. The entire movie is a bit weird and out there, and I really wonder if Anne Hathaway knows of its existence, but I guess there's a little fun to be had here. 6/10

The Evil In Us (2016)

Kickass final girl alert! A fresh group of carnage candy pack up and go to a vacation home on a secluded island to drink, party, have sex, deal with hookup drama, the same shit. Unfortunately, someone in the group brings a bad batch of cocaine that turns those who snort it into ravenous zombeasts. Since our virtuous final girl doesn't snort any, expect her to have her hands full in fighting for her life when the rest of her friends decide to try to chow her down. I have to wonder if this was inspired by the Miami bath salts incidents from a few years back... I know one of the characters made a reference to bath salts so it's highly probable. It's a whole lot of fun, even though the movie diverts from the action to show a detective searching for answers (who cares?) and there's laboratory scenes that show that there's a sinister political scheme at work here. These could turn a viewer off, but if you don't mind, you could be in for a fun movie. Movie is currently on sale at Wal-Mart... I highly recommend it. 8/10

Pitchfork (2016)

It's been on my watch list since I discovered it... yet, the 2.9/10 rating on IMDb was discouraging so I wasn't about to pay to watch it. I still had hopes that it could be a fun throwback sort of deal. Pitchfork looked sinister enough. I was delighted that Amazon Video made this one free for Prime Members - yay! Our lead character has come out as gay and has brought a group of his obnoxious friends to his family home. His mom is of course accepting, and his younger sister is just happy that her big brother is back. His father, however, isn't as receptive to his son's revelation. Still, his family helps him throw a barn dance for him and his friends. As expected, Pitchfork crashes the party and starts killing people violently. While Pitchfork was a sinister presence and has a great body for a killer (don't judge me), the editing wasn't so great in this one. I honestly thought there would be twin Pitchforks or something, but nope... he just can be everywhere on this spacious farm at once so shut off the noggin. The movie carries on a vibrant, colorful scheme that made it pretty... no doubt because of the central character's homosexuality so I liked that. I didn't like the final few scenes... they seemed to drag on too long and didn't help me understand how Pitchfork came to be outside just having fucked up parents. It's fine, though... I wasn't that into it in the first place but it had its moments. 5/10
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Some of these sound pretty good, might give them a watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Merriska <3 Yes! Let me know if you watch any of them, or watch anything horror/thriller/mystery related. Always looking for new suggestions, though my watch list is pretty big so don't be surprised if you drop a title to me and I start talking about it a year later. lol
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:12 pm

The only thing horror related I've really been watching lately are reruns of Paranormal State cuz it's fun to snap people moments of the episode and make fun of how slimy the host is and how he never listens to the mediums he invites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Great reviews like always Dan!! Fear, Inc., You Are Not Alone, and Pitchfork sound good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:15 pm

The Sand (2015)

Back in the 80s, there was an obscure little movie released called Blood Beach that involved monsters living in the sand and devouring people without leaving a trace. It was by no means a good movie, but there was a B-movie charm to it that makes it worth mentioning. This movie, The Sand, is a loose remake of that one and I actually found it to be likewise entertaining, even if for a different reason. A group of stupid young adults get drunk on the beach and disrupt a mysterious egg-like thing, releasing a vicious creature that devours anybody who is unfortunate enough to touch the sand for the rest of the movie. A great deal of the movie involves this hungover group figuring out what happened the night before, what this creature is, and how to work together to escape the sand that devours them... all along with sorting through their petty differences (and you know there just HAS to be petty differences). It's kind of a stupid-fun kind of a movie; I only wish that the final girl wasn't so frickin' annoying but at least my favorite character (I won't spoil who it is) survives along with her so that was the cherry on top of a fun summery guilty pleasure. It's listed twice on Amazon Prime for some reason; one for rental and one for free viewing so make sure to check out the latter and soon! 6/10

Berlin Syndrome (2017)

Teresa Palmer gets held captive by Max Riemelt in a secluded apartment while traveling to Berlin after they have sex. For what could've been a shoddy thriller of sorts, it plays out surprisingly for real which works out fairly well. A good portion of it is told from the captor's perspective, yet he remains enigmatic enough where you don't know if he's going to take care of our heroine or kill her so that unpredictablenesss is necessary to keep you guessing. The acting from the two leads is great. I didn't even mind that the movie teeter-tottered betweeen being a romance drama (even AFTER Palmer's character becomes a captive) and a thriller where she attempts escape several times... like I said, the movie kept you guessing if through some bizarre case of Stockholm Syndrome she and Riemelt would end up together in the end. Overall, I enjoyed this one a lot, even though there wasn't nearly quite enough horror in it. 8/10

Backtrack (2015)

Yeah, I talked about watching this one forever ago during the IMDb days and I admit that I'm behind on my spring-cleaning on my Netflix watch list. Adrien Brody plays a psychologist who has a penchant for acquiring patients who are actually ghosts haunting him because they want things set right before they move on. This problem eventually takes him back to his hometown to unravel a mystery surrounding a train wreck that happened years ago; he feels personally responsible for said event, but is he really? I overall had a good time with it, even if the movie hits all the same typical beats that most horror mysteries tend to hit. Still, I'm up for this kind of movie every once in a while and it was time to watch another one when I watched this. In short... been there, done that, but still worthwhile. 7/10

He Never Died (2015)

Like Backtrack, I put this one off for far too long than it deserved. Henry Rollins stars as the movie's badass anti-hero and Kate Greenhouse (the dish from The Dark Hours) plays his mortal love interest, if he really is interested in her at all. He seems to be simply walking through a life that never ends because, well, he doesn't die. lol She's definitely intrigued by him, though, because he's enigmatic enough to peak her interest. Overall, their connection makes the movie well worth watching. I loved the careless father/daughter routine, as well... the main character's daughter wedges herself into her dad's life and when she gets kidnapped by her dad's enemies, he's like eh, I'll take care of that when the time comes and carries about his usual ways of bingo and dinner at the diner. Laughing It's sort of nice too because the estranged-father/child storyline has been played TO DEATH so this one averts that by forcing us to focus on Rollins/Greenhouse and their odd romance instead. Things get a bit bloody and messy at times as we find out who Rollins' character really is, but I wouldn't really call this one scary much at all. He does roar rather disturbingly at times, though... but romance and action is more this one's game than horror. Still, well worth catching before it disappears from Netflix for good. 8/10
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 pm

lol when me and my dad used to talk about classic horror movies from the 70's and 80's when I was younger he would always tell me he saw Blood Beach on the big screen. It's was so random <3. I've never seen it, but I always thought it looked cool, and The Sand sounds like fun too!

Henry Rollins <3. Black Flag <3 <3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 am

The Sand sounds like a hoot Laughing the first thing that came to mind was Tremors. I'm sure you've both seen it. One of my favourites. "Underground, God damn monsters! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dana ShelbyChancey

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 am

Has anyone seen Get Out? It is advertised as a horror movie but knowing Jordan Peels of Key & Peele, has satirical elements. I am eager for it to come on cable, which is where I see everything these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Get Out (2017)

Ooooh, I forgot to review this one. Oops! Get Out was pretty good. It's very similar to the 70's Stepford Wives in terms of social commentary and its paranoia theme. The main character, a black guy, knew that something was terribly wrong with the other black characters associated with his future in-laws but he just couldn't figure out what until everything unravels and he's left fighting for survival. There's that sci-fi angle involved that could be seen as heavy-handed in how it explains everything, but like the 70s film, it makes a worthwhile message so you don't really find yourself caring about the bizarre sci-fi elements because everything else is so on point. I was particularly impressed by Catherine Keener (always liked her so I'm biased lol), but everyone was a pretty formidable player in this one in that the performances are all fantastic. I gave this one a solid 8/10.
Back to top Go down
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 am

I heard a lot of good things about Get Out, but never really got around to seeing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 pm

It was brilliant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Toolbox Murders (2004)

I'm not really big on this one. I wasn't when I first saw it a few years back, and I'm still not completely sold on it after having rewatched it. The original 70s film didn't exactly wow me either, but this one has the distinction of being directed by Tobe Hooper who does have a few enjoyable titles to his name. A grisly man uses toolbox instruments to kill apartment tenants horrifically... can't say that the premise really stands out all that well compared to the others out there. Still, even I don't have that discerning of tastes when it comes to sleazy slashers and like a good deal of bad ones than I care to admit. When I first saw this, I didn't really know Angela Bettis all that well. It wasn't until she had a distinguishable supporting role as the battered housewife in The Woman (with the amazing Pollyanna McIntosh) and the lead role in May (with the hunky Jeremy Sisto) where I ever took notice of her and I saw both of those after this one. Her final girl character just isn't given much to really stand out here despite having most of the airtime and unfortunately was a bland paranoid character to boot. When push came to shove in the final confrontation, she had her hunky boyfriend (played by still relatively-unknown Brent Roam) there to kick Coffin Baby's ass so she doesn't even have her obligatory survival to her credit either. While this movie is solidly placed on the bland side of the slasher spectrum, there does come with it a realism with the characters, their interactions, and just the general location of the apartment the film is set in. Everything about the setting is very grungy and downtrodden, as you'd probably expect an apartment located in (presumably) Los Angeles, California to be. Aside from Coffin Baby and his gross techniques at offing people (and storing their remains), the movie just doesn't cross that trashy barrier, IMO anyway. That's a slight credit, though I do think it does add to the element of boring a bit because no one really stands out as memorable character and it's a visually-bland film (as the screencaps below show). Hell, even The Texas Chain Saw Massacre had some amazing scenery shots of the sunflower fields and Leatherface swinging his chainsaw in the dawn sunlight to give it a bit of visual flair. Nothing like that to be found here, though.

I had this rated at 6/10 originally and I still kept it at that rating just because I didn't *hate* the movie, even if I didn't *love* it either. While I wouldn't mind recommending it, I do highly recommend avoiding its awful (and possibly in-name-only?) sequel called Toolbox Murders 2 which has Coffin Baby kidnapping a girl and keeping her locked in a dungeon for the entire runtime of the movie. That was some pretty awful shit that I wouldn't even recommend to my biggest enemies... just gory, gross, sick-minded stuff. And boring. That's ultimately what sort of fails both of these films.

Sorry, Sheri...  this movie just isn't for you!

JUST LEAVE NOW AND SPARE YOURSELVES THE TROUBLE!

He's got impeccable aim... if his goal was to hang the robe to the wall BEFORE killing her.
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 am

I really liked The Toolbox Murders! I like Angela Bettis and I also really like May. I remember The Toolbox Murders being suspenseful and interesting. I saw it it when I was at my peak of my horror fandom. It was before I met you guys and when I was on another forum (slasherpool) and was watching a horror movie almost every single night (sometimes two if me and my best friend were watching them together). It was around the time the ridiculously underrated Rest Stop came out. I really wish Raw Feed never stopped making movies because everything aside from the Rest Stop sequel was great. Sublime and Believers were both particularly great (though neither were quite as good as Rest Stop). I haven't seen the original Toolbox Murders but I heard it starts off great and gets proggresively worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 am

I'm so glad you mentioned Rest Stop so I can do my share of gushing. I know I talked about it briefly last summer when I saw it, but I want to reiterate that this one was actually a bit on the creepy side of the scale so far as horror goes. Not mindless, dumb entertainment at all! No one gives it a whole lot of love, but there's just something about it that gets under my skin. The gross, seedy, abandoned rest stop being the site for horrific events. The bizarre R.V. family, the creepy hallucinations, just the general setting being well-used to show isolation out on the road. Jaimie Alexander and Joey Lawrence <3 It helps that I went in expecting something similar to the awful Hitcher remake. The movie cover and the screencap below sort of makes it look that way, but it's much better....

I don't think the sequel was hateable, but following such a creepy original, it of course pales in comparison.

Sublime also carries some of those bizarre, nightmarish elements over which works well enough. I remember it being very surreal and erotic at spots, with the nurse with impeccable bedside manner. LOL The main problem with this one was that it was a bit on the long side for me. Believers was okay, but I don't remember too much about it besides its downbeat ending. Oh, and Johnny Messner <3

That does remind me that I need to dig out my copy of Anaconda and watch it, along with its sequel (that Johnny Messner is in). I've been meaning to do that but I keep forgetting. It's been way too long since I've seen it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Dan's Movie Reviews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next