Share | 

Dan's Movie Reviews

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 am

Delusion rising from the ashes and getting some attention! I Love You I think I'm going to try to find it on YouTube in a little bit - I take it that there's no a DVD version out there aside from VHS incarnations, though? Too bad...

Street Trash! Crazy coincidence you mentioned that one and I just watched Death Spa last night/this morning (fell asleep - I was tired). I know you posted this last night but I swear you didn't influence me in any way, shape, or form... sometimes the magic just happens. Razz What do you think of that one? I'd probably group it in with a movie like that. I think it might be the birth child of Street Trash and Microwave Massacre, though. Microwave Massacre because of technology causing some of the deaths and being the source of the possession; Street Trash because of the tendency of people to bubble and explode in both movies. I can't say I loved any of them though, lol... I think the only movie that I've ever truly loved from this crop of 80s cheese is The Toxic Avenger (the first one and the first only). That one is shamelessly comedic and goofy though.... the rest, including Death Spa, seem more played straight.

Btw I actually remember William Bumiller (the lead in Death Spa) in the late 90's on the soap opera Guiding Light in a bit part. Too bad he doesn't have more of a career like Johnny Messner... he's pretty handsome and charismatic.

Tane McClure (Crawlspace) and Ken Foree (Dawn of the Dead) were the only other ones I knew, but their parts were pretty small. Tane is in perhaps one of the most memorable scenes with the exploding face, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 am

I haven't seen Death Spa! Killer Workout is a total hellcat though Laughing. It's also the mother (respect) of all flaming tanning booths and has a few jams on the soundtrack too. Ha, having characters either disintegrate, melt, or explode was the trendy thing to do in the 80's. Fantastically nasty shit.

lol you watched Guiding Light? The only soap that was ever on while I was growing up was General Hospital. I remember in the late 90's the actress from VR Troopers joined the cast as Carly Corinthos Laughing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 am

Sarah Brown is the name of the actress you're talking about. Yes, I know her name ^_^

Carly was such a bitchy character though.... I hated her! Every single actress who has played her got into a memorable catfight with Kelly Monaco's character, who was (and probably still is lol) Carly major rival for several years.

My entire family was pretty in the know on soap operas because my mom watched them (likely story, but entirely true in this case). I liked them, as well, but obviously I was in school so I didn't get to keep track of them that much except if I was home sick, summer vacation, or on days off. Our family only had one TV in the living room so you could bet that mom had it on when she was doing housework. Guiding Light was her favorite, but she also watched As the World Turns. Fun fact: My dad had nick names for my mom, my sister, and me. He called my mom 'Meg' (her real name is Deb), my sister 'Little Meg' (her name is Denise), and me 'Gavin'. I never really knew why until I realized that he got these names from a few characters on As the World Turns back in the 1980s/early 1990s: Meg Snyder and Gavin Kruger. When mom started working at the school (aka normal hours), she veered away from GL/ATWT and more into the likes of General Hospital, One Life to Live, All My Children... the ones that played on SoapNet along with Beverly Hills 90210, One Tree Hill (hated that show), and Melrose Place. There was this episode of BH90210 where they were showing the 70s in what seemed to be to me very stereotypical clothes and attitudes, and I asked my mom if people really dressed that way because it looked so silly. She just looked at me and was like "Dan, even *I* dressed like that..." That still makes me chuckle to this day. I loved GH, though... probably the heavy crime element which has always been one of my favorite genres.

Btw, another funny memory with my dad: For the longest time, he would say "Way, cool!" randomly out of the blue because of the Clarissa Explains it All intro would say it. He picked up the oddest things from the stuff my sister and I would watch.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 am

Wind River (2017)

I was sitting on this one waiting for the right night to watch it. That seems to be a problem for me... I know a movie will more than likely deliver, but it's hard to pick the right time to see it. As sad as it is, sometimes timing makes or breaks the viewing experience more than the film itself. Luckily for me, there was a night a week or so back where we got ice and snow in that order, so that finally inspired me to give this one my time. A professional FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) is sent to an Indian reservation in Wyoming to investigate the murder of a woman. Knowing her limits not so much as a person but as an outsider looking in, she enlists the help of a local (Jeremy Renner) to aide her in the investigation. For a critical darling, this one has a straightforward story which is not to say that it's not interesting and effective because it was. It was played for real, which I suspect is how the movie earned its well-deserved praise. We are shown the heinous crime in a seemingly-ill-placed flashback scene, but I think it works because not all investigators are given exposition from criminals especially when its shoot to kill or be killed. Much like Winter's Bone, I can't say that I loved the movie to give it a high rating, but I did come away from it feeling like I watched something interesting and realistic. Recommended. 7/10

The Snowman (2017)

I've heard some fairly awful things about this one, so I wasn't rushing out to see it despite its formidable cast. Crime mysteries/thrillers are a dime a dozen, anyway. Broken man (Michael Fassbender) hunts the elusive serial killer, with a cute assistant (Rebecca Ferguson) in tow. We've seen it way too many times before. The silly title and even sillier promotional materials (see: above) didn't really excite me much either, but there did come the day where I was in the mood for something with a winter setting and this movie at least was guaranteed to deliver on that front. Okay, I'll be honest... I got the DVD from Netflix so I had to watch it soon. ^_^ Still, what surprised me the most about this one was just noir-ish it was; this is coming from someone who has constantly and consistently seen these types of movies set in the sunny, rundown California. To see the style transplanted to a winter Norwegian setting and maintain the sinister atmosphere more than makes up for the strange storytelling and uninspired acting by several of the key players. But I'm probably being too nice and I tend to forgive even the most cliché movies so long as the mood is nailed down well which this one's was. Bottom line, the atmosphere is really the only saving grace to this film, which is still basically a twisted whodunit where the serial killer is way too easy to guess. Watch at your own risk. 6/10
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 am

I'm so far behind on my new watches. Some titles I have my eyes on:

Insidious: The Last Key
The Sandman
Cloverfield Paradox
Mom and Dad
Nails
The Recall
Sweet Virginia
Braven
Children of the Corn: Runaway
The Shape of Water
Death Passage
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (sorry Rob, haven't gotten to it yet)

I will say though, do not even bother with Jeepers Creepers 3. Awful movie that does not even compare to the first, or the second which itself wasn't anything great either. I gave it a scathing 2/10 which says a lot coming from me.

Hellraiser: Judgement was okay, but it felt more like a Hellraiser sequel than a Hellraiser film. Most fans of Hellraiser know that there very well is a difference. It was below the original three or four films (and Revelations - yes, I still defend this one to the death), but above Inferno, Deader, and Hellworld. I may be forgetting one there...? The Pinhead does look better than the one in Revelations, thankfully. It's a crime story infused with a Cenobite twist, but none of it really had much to do with a dead person reanimating himself with fresh flesh which is what Hellraiser is all about. 6/10
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 am

lol yes there is a difference between a Hellraiser film and a Hellraiser sequel. I'm not even sure if I watched them all? I caught Hellraiser: Revelations on Netflix some time back though! Who was the chunky new Pinhead? Laughing Was that Will Sims?

Jeepers Creepers 3 was so bad! So bad I couldn't even appreciate Meg Foster. What year did that woman die? Laughing Even the creeper was shook. Probably the worst horror movie of last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 am

Shred wrote:
Jeepers Creepers 3 was so bad! So bad I couldn't even appreciate Meg Foster. What year did that woman die? Laughing Even the creeper was shook.

Laughing Laughing Laughing There's an iconic horror movie role for her yet, you just wait. These days she's pretty much a sure bet to be in a Rob Zombie film, but that bizarre appearance would do wonders in the right role. This one, unfortunately, wasn't it. Even in her heyday ("They Live" comes to mind) she just looked creepy with those eyes, but now she's a few notches down from being the Cryptkeeper's ancient-but-kicking sister. I still like her though.

Victor Salva even fucked up Trish's cameo appearance at the end and made it stupid, and to me that was the part I was most looking forward to. Too bad Gina Phillips didn't have a bigger role in the whole thing. I thought she was supposed to? I recall reading a sypnosis during pre-production about Trish having a son...? Maybe we have to wait until 2023 to see Trish square off against the Creeper in the true sequel.
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 am

How did you get that image to slide in from the side?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am

When you're a wizard, you can do anything. Smile

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

Laughing you forgot the img part, but I figured that out myself Razz

Last edited by EnnJaySee on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am

A-Supreme wrote:
When you're a wizard, you can do anything. Smile

Spoiler:

As long as we don't have to start calling you Dumbledore lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 am

I think I've finally got it lmao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:01 am

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soullimbo

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I imagine the novelty would wear off very quickly lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Reading a long post in that style would be hard on thon eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Children of the Corn: Runaway (2018)

Thumbs down for Children of the Corn: Runaway, the newest sequel in the franchise that should've probably died six or seven films ago.. John Gulager who directed the amazing Feast did this one, but unfortunately things just don't pan out well for anybody. His dad who played a big role in all three of the Feast films and his wife (I think?) were back in roles for this one. The movie starts off promising but manages to first bore you and then piss you off. A movie very much with its feet stuck in the mud. It's very gory for a Children of the Corn film, but not surprising given who the director is. The lead actress Marci Miller did a great job. I recognized her from underrated slasher Most Likely to Die. I highly doubt many besides diehard completists would check this movie out anyway.  At least it's not as bad as Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Revenge or whatever ridiculous title that one had, but you can't help but wonder why they keep making these sequels? Is this franchise really a cashcow to keep churning out all these subpar installments?

It hasn't been a good year for horror sequels, IMO.

Hellraiser: Judgement - Okay, but nowhere near the greatness of the first three or maybe four films.

Cult of Chucky - Surprisingly fun, but I don't think as many liked it as I did.

Leatherface - Not bad, but stumbled a bit.

Jeepers Creepers 3 - godawful

Insidious: The Last Key - The last one I need to see yet. The trailer looks promising, but I think critics hated it which might be a good sign.

Let's hope that Halloween H40 does better. Laughing
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:57 am

The Endless (2018)

The Endless is a great movie, but it's not one for everyone. It's about two brothers who escape what the normal one describes as a "UFO Death Cult" when they were younger, only to return some years later because the other more eccentric brother misses the good times back with those weird people and normal life is too shitty for him. The paranoia element utilized in movies like The Invitation is present in the interactions with the so-called "cult" members and the brother who knows that something is terribly wrong. Later, the brothers find out that there is a greater phenomenon at play here than a mere cult.
Spoiler:

Oh, and these same guys also did Spring which was a wonderful horror-romance movie that I'd recommend even to people who tend to dislike the horror genre and want something a bit different and more mature than Twilight. They do a pretty good job creating characters you care about and like, despite the weirdness going on. Some might be a bit put off by the slow pace and the fact that nothing particularly exciting occurs, but it definitely has a story to tell. 8/10

(I gave Resolution a 6/10 and Spring a 9/10, in case no one was interested of course.  bigrazz )
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:08 am

Man, I am still eagerly awaiting your review for The Langoliers Laughing I'm also really hopeful that one day I hear it's being remade because it could be done so sooooo much better and I love the story, I just want to see it done on a much grander scale. I still love the 95 TV version but it's fair to say it's fairly low budget with some laughable acting haha the sort that makes you laugh and enjoy it more in a funny sort of way Laughing

The story is so intriguing to me, the fact you can't go back in time. The world is dead, nothing live exists in the past. Food is tasteless, the air is still, time is winding down like an old pocket watch Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 am

I'm excited too. I will get it watched sometime. Life has gotten a bit busy as of late, but hopefully I'll have some more time in the fall.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:37 pm

The Meg (2018)

How great is this movie poster? No, this is not a shark flick... it's a megashark flick so you know that this will be something different. Since soullimbo posted a pretty good review on the Movies section, I'll post mine here since this is technically a horror flick and it's my thread, dammit. The two of us had different thoughts on this movie. I watch a lot of cheapie ScyFy flicks with a very similar plot, but none have ever been done quite as well as this one and considering I've seen junk like Sand Sharks (don't judge me), it's easy seeing why this one ended up in theaters. It's hardly the first time, too. There's been a few times before when a movie lifts a plot sounding straight out of a TV flick, only to surprisingly get a budget and a big-name star to back it. Even better when said flick can sneak its way into theaters for the late-summer dump months, possibly making for a fun time and some big bucks in the process if people eat it up. Snakes on a Plane and Deep Blue Sea both come to mind, and many years later, we have The Meg. What can I say? I can't help but respect a movie that can simply live with being a *popcorn* flick.

I have to get this out of the way and I've said it several times, but it bears repeating for the fact that this is a review of a movie: I am not a fan of Jason Statham. At all. I watch a lot of movies with him in, and he's never a highlight, mostly because of the over-familiarity of his schtick. It's not as bad when he's a villain because he plays that quite well if a bit generic. When he's a hero, though, he's really a goldenboy who is as badass as he can be and you know when he has to cross that moral event horizon, it's going to have the most heroic tint to it as possible. Gotta retain that audience sympathy somehow, you know. Probably why the love interest had a kid in this movie... the tough guy/kid angle has been played TO DEATH. Yet they keep coming back to it. With this movie, I knew that he was going to be doing his Statham thing again so I didn't see this movie for him. But while I am on the subject, I do long to see him play against type in a future film because I'm curious to see how he'd do. Problem is, everyone is paying for these films to see actors like this do more of the same so it won't change until he has a box-office bomb and he'll either have to adapt or settle for true ScyFy flicks to pay the bills. That box-office bomb is not The Meg though, so for now we will have to twiddle our thumbs and wait until that happens. This movie, after all, is pretty fun despite its main character and hodge-podge of uninteresting characters that go along for the ride. The titular prehistoric shark was, in my opinion, the true star and looked magnificient. So many times the sharks in these type of flicks look atrociously fake, but definitely not in this one.

The storytelling is a bit messy to start with, though. You're immediately thrown into the action, but you have no idea what's going on aside from a few men being in danger underwater and how a couple had to be sacrificed to save the rest of the crew. This scene was devoid of any possibly suspense about titular 'Meg' (didn't even know the bitch was on attack in this scene until later in the movie... was I enjoying my butterfingers bites too much???). All I got from it was that it really only served the purpose of establishing Statham's character and the moral question of whether he did the right thing or not, but you should already know that answer and if you don't, you're going to be beat upside the head with the right answer as the story plays out. Back to the point, the opening was easily the weakest part of this movie, no doubt about that, but stick with it.

The movie does a halfway decent job of toying with our expectations. When the action moves to a state-of-the-art facility out in the middle of the ocean, you are just expecting that it's going to be the setting for terrible things to come. You're expecting at this point that this is going to be a Deep Blue Sea knockoff where the killer shark will attack this facility and Statham and his love interest are going to be the only survivors, but there's no way a studio would put this in theaters if things were going to be that obvious. Thankfully, they weren't. Don't think you've got this one pegged because just when you're being taken down one path, the movie will throw you down another. It kept you guessing fairly well.

The science behind the movie was intriguing. I don't think it's at all untrue that we don't know much about the deep ends of the oceans, and who knows what species linger down so deep. Not that I think a giant shark would ever be apart of that type of unknown ecosystem to instill any real fear in me or the audience, but the movie did do a halfway decent job at establishing its universe and it was very visually pleasing. Plot holes and inept character development aside, this was an entertaining, pretty movie to look at times. There were plenty of funny and campy moments, too. The minute the Thai(?)-version of "Hey Mickey" blasts, the randomness of it made me laugh because it comes completely out of nowhere. The human-infested beach almost could have been a scene out of Piranha (2010), and who can forget the doomed mother-son beach visit of Jaws (1976)? This scene could have been something truly great had they actually gone for an R-rating, which points to another weakness in the movie in that it can't be memorable if the shark can't take a true bite out of anything without the camera shying away from the gory details. C'mon now, we're a generation who grew up on Jaws and that was PG (probably R by today's standards lol). Still fun I guess, but it's frustrating when a movie that could've been truly great settles for something less. The kill count seemed too low despite the formidable antagonist, and I suspect the rating was the issue there.

My review already went on too long. I mostly posted a long one to go along with Soul's, who I wish would review more of the movies that I tend to watch. Wink I liked the movie and he didn't, so I wanted to give it a fair defense. My bottom line is this... shut off your brain and enjoy it. If you try to use logic, you will be disappointed. Those brain cells are better saved for the Oscar bait this winter, anyway. 8/10

soullimbo's Review: http://imdbgames-othergames.forumotion.com/t383p150-recently-watched-thread#16059
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Dan's Movie Reviews
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7