Share | 

Dan's Movie Reviews

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Maybe, lol. I'll look like a loser, though it's not as bad as my Disney movies in the livingroom. chatty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I just picture this entire wall covered in them or something Laughing some people only keep the discs to put in a DVD case and get rid of the bulky cover, which I get but also think it's a waste of the cover. I have a mini DVD player so when I travel, I pick out some movies to bring and just take the discs in the case to save room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am

I want to buy a binder to at least put my multi-movie discs in to save space. I have to post a few reviews, too. Maybe I'll do that tonight or tomorrow early. I haven't been as active throughout this month as I was hoping. Work has been so dramatic as of late so I haven't had much time for anything extra. Or fun, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 am

See any good slasher movies lately you can recommend for little ol me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:31 am

The last halfway decent one that I saw that was a little bit creepy was Blood Runs Cold, but I admit that it's a bit slow which is probably why it was so creepy. Low-budget, but good. It's more geared for winter horror, though.

Varsity Blood has a fun, frisky Halloween theme that makes it worthy for this time of year though it's not for more discerning viewers. While it's competently made, it's mindless entertainment so take that for what you will.

Though I haven't reviewed it yet, Jackals is a surprisingly good slasher/home invasion. I'll go more into it when I put up a review, but I think it's worth anybody's time.

Demonic has just been released as well on DVD/Netflix, which is more a paranormal kind of slasher deal. Maria Bello and Frank Grillo start in it, but I liked the cast on the whole.

Hell House LLC is somewhat of a supernatural slasher too, except I categorize that more as a found-footage. However, it's so fitting for this time of year and I don't think you've mentioned seeing it yet so you should definitely seek it out now while it's in season. I loved that one a good deal in that it actually was, in your words, SKEEETCHHHHH.
Back to top Go down
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am

Mint
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I have a few reviews typed up, but I want to type up a few more before posting them. Here's some GIFs of some of the ones I've written up so far... have any of you seen any of these?

See ya tonight! Maybe. lol
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 pm

I don't know what your pic is from, but she looks like Mrs. Beetlejuice, if there was one Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 pm

47 metres down?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Geralds game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 pm

47 Meters Down (2017)

It's been a long time since I've seen anything with Mandy Moore in it. I think the last thing was American Dreamz, which was fucking awful and so last decade so the less said about that mess the better. I loved her earlier stuff though, from her turn as nicey-nice in A Walk to Remember to bitchy-bitch in The Princess Diaries. She's one of those teeny-bopper type actresses I remember quite well from my younger years and, ignoring that first title I mentioned, I always liked her. I am happy to report that this movie was a nice return to form for her from the last movie I saw her in; yes, she clearly hasn't stopped working and maybe I don't watch enough things, but I'm speaking from my perspective and it was just nice to see Mandy Moore again. If for nostalgic purposes... and she plays a decent "color-between-the-lines" heroine, as well. I knew coming into this that it would be a safe, PG-13 thriller of sorts involving two sisters being trapped in water surrounded by sharks. To my surprise though, the story was never boring and some of the shark attack scenes were pretty intense. If you liked 'trapped' thrillers like Frozen (2010) or 247°F (2011), there's no reason for you to not like this one as well. 7/10

Gerald's Game (2017)

I've made my fanboydom of Michael Flanagan quite obvious over the past year or two, so it should come to no surprise that I was pretty excited to check this one out on Netflix. I can't say I've ever seen a movie about a woman handcuffed to a bed after a failed kinky sex romp, with her husband's dead corpse laying nearby with a canine mixed in that wants to have him (and her) for its next meal because it's hungry and wants the freshest meat. Solid, and original, thriller material we have here. However, there is a heavy drama component supplied by the several hallucinations the heroine has that ultimately help move things along a bit: An empowered vision of the heroine, a chauvenistic version of the husband, a molesting vision of the heroine's father who fucked up her view of men, and a super creepy "Moonlight Man" who infuses the horror aspect into the movie quite well. The one gorey scene was very cringeworthy. Carla Gugino and Bruce Greenwood both do an awesome job as the two leads, and if not for the somewhat talky ending that carried a minorly derailing twist (you'll know it when you get there), this would've easily been 9/10 but I had to knock it down to a 8/10. It's still good, though.

Ghost House (2017)

A blind buy from Wal-Mart. Some of those titles are so risky, but I'm happy to report that this one paid off. The whole thing is somewhat of a mix of Hostel (in terms to Americans' lack of education about other cultures and traveling getting them into trouble) and The Grudge (in terms of getting haunted by a foreign spirit). A couple travels to Thailand for a romantic getaway and end up getting cursed by a ghost because of two assholish British guys trick the girlfriend into touching (and thereby desecrating) a ghost house. Hauntings ensue, as the boyfriend desperately tries to save his fiancé from the malevolent spirit. The movie won't rock anybody's world really, but it is well-made and a nice look at Thailand since it was really filmed there. If nothing else, it will remind you that you are in dire need of a good 'Grudge' rewatch. Take that for what you will. 8/10

Jackals (2017)

Finally, a halfway decent home-invasion horror. After choking down a stinker like Cabin 28 (2017), this was the movie I needed to scratch that 'home-invasion' itch I've had. A desperate family kidnaps their son, who abandoned them all to join a creepy-ass cult that has a penchant for howling in the night. It sounds ridiculous, but some of the scenes involving that were so creepy. The son is brainwashed and has turned into a real piece of work, but the family is assisted by a resident badass to talk some sense into him. Unfortunately, the cult eventually interrupts the reunion/therapy sesh when they come a-knockin' and starts killing to get their young buck back. Despite the movie's lack of bankable stars (can't think of anything good any of them have been in, save Stephen Dorff in Blade), the movie is pretty well done and effective. Brutal, creepy... perhaps underrated as well. 7/10

Lake Fear 2 (2016)
aka The Everglades Killings

Unfortunately, I've been waiting FOREVER for a good *recent* slasher to come out and I have yet to really see one this fall.  I must have gotten spoiled last year with the likes of Scare Campaign, Most Likely to Die, The Windmill... oh and I can't forget about The Funhouse Massacre. This year, I think the only decent one I've seen has been WTF! and that was back in like July or August. The most promising ones are Christmas-themed so I'm holding off on those until the timing is right. So, yeah, I'm deseprate. I even resorted to the "in-name-only" sequel to one of the worst fucking pieces of shit I've ever seen: Lake Fear (2014). What a mess of a movie THAT was... so fucking awful that it could only be compared to as an on-screen seizure. The trailer for the sequel didn't look like a complete lost cause though I had glimpses of what I was getting into but I was willing to risk it. A group of youngings get stranded in the Everglades, only to fall victim to a group of killers. It was mindless slicing and dicing for a good portion, and the killings were rather brutal. There was a few moments of hilarity because you could tell that they were reusing audio over and over again. "You better not be looking at me naked" said that one girl, AT LEAST TWO OR THREE TIMES, as she showered naked next to the guy who crushed on her with his back turned. Also, one girl would say something and several of the others would chime in to say the exact same thing. There were also so many characters (so no real character development) and while that could be seen as excessive, I knew that every single fucking one of them would have a brutal death scene so I didn't mind it. The negatives? There was a very tasteless and uncomfortable male-on-male rape scene... I mean, mostly all rape scenes are uncomfortable in nature but there was never one as out-of-place and tacked on as this one. I guess they were trying to kick up the intensity a notch, but it left such a bad taste. The movie also denied us a good final-girl confrontation, so with a bad taste in my mouth and a lack of resolution, I had to give this a 3/10. It just seemed like a blatant display of violence, except not of the good kind in that *all* the fun has been sucked out of it and it's technically bad.
Back to top Go down
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:46 am

Jackals sounds pretty good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Can I make a request?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5112578/

Thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I added that title to my Netflix DVD queue, Justin. Thanks for the recommendation. Smile

Annabelle: Creation (2017)

I really wasn't a huge fan of the first installment of this spin-off franchise, but this prequel harkens back to where it all began: The Conjuring, in that it was actually a spooky movie and a lot of the scenes involving the ghost were done very well. It's not so much that the story was anything new or Earth-shattering, but what came with this movie were the chills and scary moments. This isn't B-movie kind of stuff here. A couple loses their daughter (you guessed it...Annabelle) to a car accident, but fast-forwarding to ten (or so) years later, you'd see that they're opening their home to a group of orphaned Christian girls since the couple's lives are empty and they wouldn't mind the noise of children around the house again. Just one room in their house is off-limits, and that is Annabelle's... and the reason why is not as clichéd as you may guess. What happened in the span of that ten (or so) years after Annabelle's death is where the mystery lies, and I won't spoil a bit of it for you. I just really appreciated that this movie brought the scary back to this franchise... it seemed like even The Conjuring 2 was a bit stingy on the chills in favor of its bloated story though I did find out from the post-credits scene that The Nun is getting her own movie so that's exciting news. winkgrin The cast in this one was pretty likeable as well, and as expected in this franchise, the acting is fairly good. The movie is tied back to the original Annabelle, so even though it was boring as hell, you'd do yourself a favor if you watched it before settling for something much better. 9/10

A Dark Song (2016)

The creators of this movie actually followed me on Twitter, so that's really the biggest reason I wanted to see it. But I'm glad that I finally set aside some time to watch it.  A broken and desperate woman buys a nice-sized house in the country and hires the world's biggest asshole to perform a ritual... for reasons that you will find out. The mystery was heavy in this one in that you really had no idea what motivated this woman until the layers to it were peeled back and when the timing was right. The relationship between the two leads is tumultuous and will no doubt incite you to feel something about it. The woman's hidden motives (and the revelation of such) fuels a good deal of conflict, and it's pretty solid acting and storytelling throughout. I know some people enjoyed this more as a psychological thriller and the movie definitely hooks you with that angle, but I loved the scary creatures the show up at the end. If anything, I wish there was more of them leading up to the finale, but at the end of the day: I liked this just fine. Availabe to stream on Netflix. 7/10

Atomica (2017)

Don't pick on meeeeee... I only decided to check this out because the lead actress is cute and looked a lot like Lori Valenti from Big Brother 5. Laughing I also like Dominic Monaghan's last movie (Pet) so it felt worthy of a blind watch, if nothing else. I kind of knew what I was getting myself into too... a company worker in the far future is sent to a remote facility to make necessary repairs and ends up tangled in a web of lies and paranoia between the two workers who work there. And since Tom Sizemore doesn't even show up until an hour or so, the rest is banter between Lori (I'm not even bothering looking up her name... sue me) and Dominic. It's sloowwwwwwwwww and booooooooooring, though I did find the dark and mean-spirited ending a bit amusing... when I really shouldn't. One can either guess that I'm a bit more evil than I thought, or I was just so glad that it was over that I couldn't have even bothered to be mad about it. It's whatever. 3/10

Escape Room (2017)

It's a guy's birthday, so  he and a few of his friends are invited by his girlfriend to an escape room, a place where they have to work together to solve a series of riddles to escape. Normally, this would be for fun. Only, this escape room is deadly and not all of them will make it out alive. I may have liked this one more if the entire cast wasn't filled with pretentious assholes, though I did end up starting to like the bitchy character just because I couldn't stand ANY of the others and who doesn't love a good bitch coming out on top? I do need to talk about this in spoilers for a moment... don't read if you don't want to be spoiled:

Spoiler:

The ending to this one didn't even make any sense. I rewatched it twice, too. The naughty couple who got it in the gas room were pretty funny though, especially when they were coming up with 4-letter words for sexual activities. And the answer wasn't "fuck". Wink 3/10
Back to top Go down
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm

*looks up the Atomica ending*

Damn it, Wikipedia doesn't say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I was gonna watch escape room eh! Was soooo close
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 am

I like the plot to Escape Room but all too often these movies fail to deliver. I love movies that trap a group in a situation they must try to survive, but not all will. House of 9 was a pretty underrated little gem I felt, Cube is another of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Any nudity in these films?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm

A Dark Song and Escape Room both have female nudity. The others have none. It's probably a bit more gratuitous in Escape Room.

House of 9 <3 I love Kelly Brook.

She'll probably always be known for her eye-candy role in Piranha 3D, but she made for a pretty good final girl in House of 9. Have you seen The Belko Experiment yet, Neil? If this is your kind of movie, you'd probably like that one too.
Back to top Go down
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Lake Alice (2017)

A little cheapie slasher set in the rural woods of wintry Wisconsin. <333 I guess Lake Alice is really a place, but I've never even heard of it, let alone been there. A girl takes her California boyfriend home for the holidays, but it's really only her parents she's taking him home to because why would they want any substantial body count in a slasher film? Still, the characterization and small-town feel does work well enough for the purpose of the movie. The dad even bought Leinenkugel's beer when his daughter's boyfriend asked him to pick up beer, so you really can't get more Wisconsin than that. While there was a good deal of dumb fun that went with this one, it was just a bit too predictable and took a bit too long to get going to be a good movie. And even when the slashing began, it just wasn't good. Loving this one for being set in Wisconsin would be loving it for a wrong reason. Just being honest. 4/10

Killing Ground (2016)

This was probably my second-most anticipated watch of the summer after It Stains the Sands Red, and thankfully it came to Netflix instant the day it was released in the USA. While I did like this one a bit better of the two, I didn't like it nearly as much as I was hoping. A couple of evil men enjoy hunting down campers in the woods Most-Dangerous-Game-style, but they meet their match when they fuck with the wrong Yuppie couple who are forced to fight back. The couple-in-peril story has been done before (Timber Falls, Storm Warning, and Eden Lake all come to mind), but I like this type of flick so I didn't mind how similar the movie seemed to movies of last decade. My main issue was the film's odd choice of jumping between storylines. We see flashback scenes from like days before of the bad guys terrorizing and murdering a first family mixed in with present-day scenes of them crossing paths with the couple. It's probably not as messily handled as I'm making it sound, but it comes down to personal preference and it wasn't until a few scenes into the storytelling that I realized what they were doing. Certified 'Netflix' good, but only really effective within that context. 7/10

The Babysitter (2017)

What would you do if someone you idolized or crushed on as a kid turned out to be a completely evil person? I heard plenty of great things about this Netflix original, and I am happy to report that this one completely earns the hype. I even liked it better than Gerald's Game, most likely due to the fun factor that this movie has down pat. Samara Weaving is amazing as the babysitter from hell, and her groupies all play their parts and everyone has a distinctive enough presence to be memorable enough. Judah Lewis carries the film pretty well as the kid hero forced into a night of survival when he discovers that it's the babysitter who has been naughty one this time. Outrageousness and hilarity ensues. The perfect "fun" horror movie for those who like horror-comedies like The Final Girls. 9/10

Mojave (2015)

A neo-noir about a charming outlaw (I think?) stalking a pretentious assholeartist back to his life in Hollywood after an encounter in the desert. I think have a new crush on Oscar Isaac. He just strikes me as a really charismatic actor who is instantly likeable, in spite of the characters he plays. It was the same way in Ex-Machina. Like that one, I just didn't like the protagonist much at all. Granted, Garrett Hedlund's character in Mojave is anything but the typical lead character. He's pretty unabashedly douchey, no apologies whatsoever. But, still.. I don't know if reflective of me to root for a villain as much as I did but it is what it is. Outside of Isaac's performance and the intriguing California setting that always intrigues me about these neo-noir thrillers, I found this movie less than stellar and I don't think many others would like it. 6/10

Lycan (2017)

Mindless creature feature/slasher hybrid. I admit I waited way too long to review this one for me to remember much about it. A group of students get assigned a history project, and all the types are present: The tragic final-girl type, the good-looking guy who is into her despite the fact that he's popular, the awkward/perverted nerdy guy, the snobby HBIC who is jealous of the attention the final-girl gets but in the end we like her despite her bitchiness. What better way to research than go to a remote gravesite in the woods? lol. Despite its set up, the ending is so dismal. Not only is it forgettable but, I'm
Spoiler:

I like a lot of bad slashers and creature features, but this one kind of sucks at both. 3/10

Phoenix Forgotten (2017)

After finally seeing Willow Creek which I really think is one of the better Blair Witch Project-like found footage films I've seen in quite some time, I came across this one. A girl studies footage from the 90s of her brother and his two friends who went missing after they went into the desert to investigate the Phoenix Lights. She only has footage up to a certain point, until she starts asking questions and then discovers the last, and final, video footage of her brother's and his friends' lives (on Earth anyway lol). The movie takes a long time to get going, but I will say that the footage does feel genuine. Even the "Phoenix Lights" news segment has a strong Unsolved Mysteries vibe to it to be effective... I even recall seeing an actual segment that was pretty similar so maybe this is based on a real unexplained phenomenon. This movie was missing hardcore thrills, but it's interesting enough and is well-made enough for a found-footage movie to watch at least once. 6/10
Back to top Go down
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

More!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am

Leatherface (2017)

The prequel to *The* Texas Chain Saw Massacre that answers any question you may have about the origin of Leatherface and the rest of the wickedly psychotic Sawyer clan. Except, not really. Young Leatherface gets taken away from his family at a young age, and his mother is hellbent on getting him back at any cost. Ayslum horror turned road thriller turned revenge flick: There's a lot of sub-stories going on here, and while each piece is entertaining enough, a surprising twist occurs which may or may not please you. I know I wasn't overly crazy about it, though I admit that it may be because this movie betrayed the vision I always had about Leatherface's upbringing and I didn't like that at all. Also, for the first time and as much as it pains me to say, I found Lili Taylor (or her character, rather) to be one of the weakest links in this movie and she's one of my favorite horror actresses too. Sad The usual hit-or-miss Stephen Dorff seemed a bit out of place in this movie as well, so I'm inclined to think that it was the production's fault for miscasting. Okay movie, but leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I don't really accept it as a true prequel to the 1974 classic any more than I accept "Do your thing, cuz" Texas Chainsaw 3D as a true sequel... in that neither are really good enough to be considered tied to the original. Just my opinion. 6/10

Friend Request (2016)

It seems like this was released in every country, and then was released in the USA last. Usually that's not really a good sign, but I was looking forward to it nonetheless. And lord knows I've waited long enough to finally see  it. The goody-two-shoes but popular girl who looks too much like Taissa Farmiga for her own good befriends an strange outcast girl, who adds her on Facebook and starts overstepping her boundaries and creeping our Mary Sue out so she cuts all ties and unfriends her. When the outcast decides to commit suicide, she comes back from the dead with a vengeance by killing her friends off and hacking her Facebook by posting sick videos of their deaths, which depletes her Facebook friend count like whoa! Unlike the surprisingly engaging Unfriended (2015), this one colors completely inside the lines and is standard at best. Still, I knew what I was getting myself into with this one and it didn't fail to deliver in the college, supernatural slasher department. Mindless, but A-Okay! 7/10

Tell Me How I Die (2016)

Other websites have this one labeled as a thriller or suspense, but in reality, this is a slasher movie through and through and making it out to be something else is doing a disservice to you guys. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.... trust me on this, okay? MMk. Anyway, a group of college kids all decide to enroll in a pharmaceutical program where they get paid to be injected with a new drug that apparently helps their memory, or something. I don't know, but things get crazy when some of them start experiencing things happening... before they happen. This leads to problems when someone decides to show up and start killing the patients, and instead of a winter break of easy money, they all find themselves trying to outsmart a killer who is always a step or two ahead of them. The final girl, of course, has the ability to see people's deaths before they happen which causes a bit of hostility towards her and gives you the reason for the title right there. Nathan Kress of iCarly fame plays the love interest and he's pretty likeable. It's a movie that strives to be something more (the long running time is more usual for thrillers) when really it is nothing truly unique and superlative from any other slasher movie. Yet, it's still a decent movie to watch during the cold, snowy winter months and the characters were likeable enough to warrant the extra 20 minutes of character/story development that most slashers clocking in under 90 minutes don't have. 7/10

Patchwork (2015)

Three girls get kidnapped and wake up sewn together as one person. Trapped in the same body and fighting for control initially, they eventually find themselves working together when all hopes of going back to their former lives are dashed. Angry and with nothing to lose (and pink wig and shades in tow  Heart ), they set out on the path of revenge against those evil bastards who put them on the road to Frankenville in the first place. The premise of this movie sounded so cringeworthy that I kept passing on it, until that one night when I was ready to brace myself for something completely disgusting. I was expecting something sick and unpleasant; instead, I got a cool horror comedy instead. This was easily the best thing I've seen on Netflix since The Babysitter. The movie is told in like seven chapters that allow us to get to know the girls and see the circumstances surrounding their morbid operation, as well as the fallout. Awesome, unique movie that is currently on Netflix and I couldn't recommended this one more for a good time. 9/10

Creep 2 (2017)

Back in 2015, I watched the original Creep on Netflix and was blown away with how effective it was. The movie depicted a man hiring a male videographer to film him for his future child to have something to remember him by, and then things get hella weird. It further proved that with a camera and a couple of devoted actors, the "found-footage" subgenre still had a bit of bite even with the simplest of ideas. Fast forward to 2017, I was pretty excited when the sequel showed up on Netflix around Christmastime to continue the titular creep's story. This time, he's suffering a midlife crisis because he's bored with his befriending of people only to kill them horrifically when things go sour. This time, he hires a purple-haired female vlogger to help him get his groove back and potentially give him a fitting ending to his serial killing, and she's all too willing to stick around to get her story when most people would be running to the hills at the first chance. While the first movie just had this lingering feeling that something awful was going to happen, this one traded that creepy mood for an odd romantic angle which heightens the level of suspense to overdrive because you could sense that that the creep was growing to admire the girl he's hired so you didn't know if his affections would overcome his need to kill his prey. After all, he's played this cat-and-mouse game with 39 other victims. I guess it plays out more like a character study than a typical horror film, and while it's interesting enough for its barebones 80-minute runtime, it doesn't come nearly close to having the effect on you that the first film does. Apparently there's a third film scheduled to be made, but the ending of this one sort of confused me so I'm not entirely sure what they have planned for it. But you know I'll watch it regardless. In the mean time, I just can't decide if this was awesome in its own way or just okay. Both movies are still on Netflix FYI. 6/10

Tom at the Farm (2013)

A French-Canadian gay thriller. It was on Amazon Prime, but I passed on it not because of the movie itself but because Prime's subtitle system is fucking awful. Something told me that this one would be worth seeking out otherwise, though. A gay man's boyfriend dies, so he travels to the man's home (a rural farm) to see his family and attend his funeral. While the mother seems nice enough, Tom gets a rude awakening from the older brother, Frances, who forces him back into the closet and starts bullying him in his hyper machismo way to keep up the illusion to his mother that her son was not gay. After the funeral is over and all condolences are given out, Tom who had had it out with the obviously sexually-confused Frances one too many times attempts to leave only to find that Frances sabotaged his car and won't let him leave. Both the drama and thriller aspects are handled very throughout the movie, and the acting is great from all involved. Overall, a nice find that makes a powerful statement about abuse that highlights the importance between the fantasy and reality and the importance of escaping such a situation. 8/10
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm

I love that retro artwork for Patchwork! It's like Chopping Mall, Maniac, and Street Trash <3. Tom at the Farm sounds good too. Dan, if you haven't seen it I would recommend Take Me to the River which stars that actor from the awesome Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (Logan Miller). It's not a thriller, but it is a ticking time bomb.

It's not a horror movie, but I watched A Tale of Two Corey's last night. God Sad. I think I'm the only person who liked (as biased as it was) that Unauthorized Saved by the Bell movie Laughing, but this was so much better. Cheap as fuck (Lifetime <3), and it might not be entirely accurate (Corey Feldman is one of the producers, but Haim isn't alive to confirm or deny the details), but it was still upsetting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm

I'll look them up, Shred. Btw, I've been going on MovieChat.org since the boards went down and it's the closest thing to retaining the old classic IMDb messageboards and basically every movie's threads have been salvaged. There, I saw that someone bumped the Delusion (1981) message board towards the top of  all the movies. Was that you? Laughing The username isn't Shred, though. You just mentioned that flick to me a week or so ago... so obscure of movie that it seems almost like too much of a crazy coincidence that someone else in the world sought out the message board and posted in it so recently.

https://moviechat.org/tt0080607/Delusion/58c735fc5ec57f0478fa8f8c/DVD

^The bottom message in the thread above is the one that bumped the thread. I see you had posted on it before the boards went down, too. lol
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 pm

Laughing No. Spacefink seems like quite a guy/girl though. Delusion must be getting hot <3. It's like a super underground movie only a small group of people know about, and Dan, now you're in the club too. It's like the cool hideout where the foot clan hangout in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Dan's Movie Reviews
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next