Share | 

Dan's Movie Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:44 pm

None of the sequels are much to write home about. The third was okay in a cheapie ScyFy sort of way (and stars Shawn Christian whom I I Love You from his ATWT days) so maybe I'm a tinge bit biased. The fourth one which was a prequel was probably my favorite of the sequels but I didn't even love that. It did have a western sort of tint to it though which gives it an edge.

Forget about the second and the fifth though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur55248812/
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:50 pm

It (2017)

As it worked out, I was able to see this movie last night with my friends so you gotta love it when a plan comes together just right. I really can't say that I've wholly processed the whole movie and whether or not I merely just liked it or loved it... I had to go to bed immediately after it for a 4am shift (that I just got done with) so It hasn't been on my mind too much since seeing it. Another problem is that the crowd (and trust me, it was a crowd) in the theater was not the best and several were obnoxious (ugh) at all the wrong parts. Too much clapping, cheering, and fake shrieks for my liking, not to mention the guys next to me were mocking those for doing this which was quite distracting. Still, these people weren't as bad as the ones at the Lights Out showing, but they were definitely passionate (for better or worse) so yeah, it's hard to concentrate on the story when you're constantly reminded that you're in a theater with college students. I definitely wanna see it again in a matinee or at home to see how effective it would be alone. I always say that these movies are best to see alone with the lights turned off... I just really wanted to have a night out with my friends because we don't get to hang out that often and It seemed up their alley. Cool

I will tell you that this movie did a lot more right than wrong. One popular opinion of the original, two-part series is that the first part is pretty much a classic and the second part left a something to be desired. This movie did right by sticking solely to the magic of the first part of the original, pertaining to the kids' relationship with *It* and how *It* hooks them by using their fears against them. As for Pennywise, the new actor did a fine job as the character. I always sort of have this opinion though... sure, people liked Tim Curry as Pennywise, but it's not like Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise is any less scary. This is no doubt an unpopular opinion, though... far too many people write off good remakes/sequels just because a new actor dares plays an iconic character. I, on the other hand, am one who enjoyed Jackie Earle Haley's Freddy Krueger so I keep an open mind and never really see a horror icon as being tied to solely one actor. In the end, Pennywise is still one freaky motherfucker.... and jump scares and dismemberment (!) are a big part of his M.O. The production values are outstanding in this movie and the acting is pretty good, as well. Bev (the lone girl in the group) has definitely gotten a badass upgrade to fit in with the times so expect to see her kick some ass.

One aspect that I didn't particularly care for (at least within the theater setting) is the unraveling of the origins of Pennywise and the curse of Derry... it was done through newspaper clippings and creepy photos and I had a hard time following it to be honest. I think I might be able to develop a better understanding of it in a home viewing, or when I'm not tired after a 9-hr day at the store. Razz I also don't feel like some of the characters were given enough spotlight... some came in strong but sort of became UTR in favor of the leads. I just remember all the kids receiving a fairly good chunk of time in the original, whereas this movie definitely had its favorites but I could be biased in my saying that. Regardless, it's still not bad by any means.

For now, I'm comfortable giving it an 8/10 as a rating just because some of the sequences are so intense and the movie is much bloodier/gorier than I imagined so that was a welcomed surprise. If the story had to keep things light in wake of its TV appearance all those years ago, this incarnation might as well go all out if it could afford an R-rating in the theater. I have to give them credit for that. I could end up giving it a higher mark on the second watch. It's definitely worth a view no matter what. Might be worth a wait for DVD/Blu-ray, though...
Back to top Go down
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

Great read buddy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WCW

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 pm

I loved It, i do agree with the history in Derry and how it was kind of relegated to some side scenes and they didnt go too much into it. Also i felt that Mike's character was very underutilized, but what i read about future Mike might make up for it.

I loved pennywise, super unsettling not exactly scary, the way the actor did it i think was spot on, Curry played him more like a dick kind of which i liked, this one felt more aggressive. excited for part 2 and how they do it considering it will be set in modern times (since this movie was set in the 80s, vs 50's and 80s in the original). I wonder if the contemporary setting will add to Pennywise, and his tricks, like appearing on someones phone screen as they play a game or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Will. It's a fun, if jumpy, watch. I did settle on one thing that I didn't discuss in my original review. While I did enjoy the production values behind the creepy haunted house (it made me even more excited for Halloween Very Happy), I found that to be a curious change that I'm not really sure I cared for.

That fortress-looking outlet of the sewer (located in the woods) seemed much more isolated/ominous and, therefore, more appropriate for a final showdown between the kids and Pennywise.

The haunted house was right in town and easily accessible even by the adults, and easy for the kids to escape.

I don't dislike the change per se, I just don't prefer it to the original. The haunted house looked a bit cartoonish... maybe that was their intend? I do know that it was a bit more cliché...

giveup
Back to top Go down
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm

That does seem pretty cliche. The sewer seems way creepier. An isolated location out in the woods, dark, deadly silent and a long way from safety as you had to go deep inside it. How long could it take to escape a house? Laughing

Haha I watched the projector scene on Youtube and jumped out of my pants Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A-Supreme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:46 pm

I hope I'm not revealing too much (not really a spoiler, but still)... after their first visit to the house, they run out of the house and one of the character's moms is right there to angrily take her son away. They weren't really isolated much at all, though Pennywise does a good job of splitting them up in the house so that it would be hard for them to just leave without leaving a friend behind. "Re-setting" seems to be a problem for remakes, though... especially when they modernize a tale meant to be from a past time which as Will mentioned was the case here.

A somewhat odd related example given that it's not horror, but I still think it still fits: The 2014 remake for "Annie" had the girls living in a seedy apartment instead of a cold, run-down orphanage (like the 1999 and 1982 versions). My sister even remarked that the apartment just didn't seem uncomfortable enough for the girls to be singing a song like "Hard-Knock Life". The Annie remake was set in the present-present (not the 80s present, like the It remake), so I doubt there are any orphanges that could function the way it did in the original without being shut down. Especially in these times when kids have so much power over adults

Goes to show that each re-imaging loses a little bit of magic along the way and some stories are truly at the best for their time. I say that this change for the It remake was curious because I don't know why they would've changed this... were sewage laws that much different between then and now for them to have to make the entrance be at a haunted house instead of in the forest? Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 pm

It was fucking amazing. Way, way better than the 1990 film. I love Stephen King's books and have been an It fan for the longest time. Those kids are going to be huge stars and Bill Skarsgard killed it. 10/10. I got the same feeling watching it that people must have had when they first saw Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

I wish I had a theater closer to me and my own car, pretty well everyone's raving about it in their reviews except one guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:49 pm

LOL how far is the cinema, 50 minutes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loonz

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:13 pm

The one by my house is like an 8 minute drive blah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm

May May lives in the woods with the wildlife! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Mine is like 10 minute drive but I don't drive lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Tara gets chauffeured around like a celebrity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cindyfan

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Too much money lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merriska

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

EnnJaySee wrote:
LOL how far is the cinema, 50 minutes?

Yes Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shred

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm

EnnJaySee wrote:
May May lives in the woods with the wildlife! Razz

Laughing cute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnnJaySee

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 am

Haha not such friendly wildlife I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's Movie Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Dan's Movie Reviews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5