Survivors of the IMDb Apocalypse

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Merriska

PostSubject: Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson   Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 pm

12. Gimme Love

It's sweet and she sings it very well like every other song here, but it's the most repetitive by far and it's not overly interesting. The concept's fairly unoriginal and it doesn't overly stand out. But it's not a bad pop ditty by itself.

11. All That
This one also isn't that memorable, I'm already having a hard time trying to remember how it goes. It runs a bit too long for it's own good and it just doesn't have that bombastic pop perfection the other tracks have. It's still not bad, it's just not as great as some of the other songs.

10. Just When I Needed You
I like how she drags him for being useless and fake as hell, but at this point in the album I was worn out. It's completely my fault cuz I have album ADD or something and get worn out after listening to the same person sing for the length of an album. There's nothing wrong with it, it's pretty well just me. This happens to most last songs I cover...only they're usually last so good job song. You beat the odds.

9. Warm Blood
wtf at these vocal modifications halfway through, where did this come from? It sinks the song a bit because it's so jarring and out of place, it's actually out of place among the whole album since she never does this any other time. It's still a good song though, none of the songs here are actually bad.

8. LA Hallucinations
This song's surprisingly meh for that title, though the opening line about being naked is a bit more crass than Carly usually gets. But it still was surprisingly kinda bland, nothing that wild or crazy here. Good for you Carly for not writing material that doesn't actually suit you for radio play or popularity.

7. Making the Most of the Night
This one's a little more fun, though she still doesn't go buck wild or anything in it which is respectable. If she did it probably wouldn't feel that genuine. It's got very sleek production like most of the songs, but this is where it starts to pick up and just feel...shiny and really pretty sounding.

6. EMOTION
It's fun, bubbly and I love the way she says the title. I could see it being a hit, if only for the fact that America and even Canada seemed to flat out ignore this album aside for the first single. We have poor taste. The lyrics are amazing about hitting cold and hot at the same time, that's a great image.

5. Let's Get Lost

I love the imagery here. I just imagine them on a suburban road coming to a fork where one way gets them home a lot faster, while one is slower but has a lot more sights to see and they can squeeze every possible minute of time together and make their date just that much longer. They want to get lost and stretch this out because they just love each other that much and it's so cute. I'm not even mad that it's kinda teenagery when she's like 30.

4. I Really Like You
This is repetitive as hell, but she says it with such gusto and genuineness that I don't fucking care. It's so bouncy and bombtastic with sunshine and love and I want to blast it around a neighborhood a million times and dance. It's not the most grown up offering here, it could be written by someone much younger, but it's not embarrassingly immature. It's just sweet.

3. Your Type
This song is beautiful. You can hear some pain in her voice, but also some longing and all the emotions are conveyed so clearly and beautifully. She can express so much with her voice, how did she not win our version of Idol? It's just an amazing song with a message of self-doubt and acknowledgement that sometimes you're just not the type that the person you like is after. Sometimes the type they're after is also a type that's not healthy for them and you wish they could see that, but if they won't there's nothing else you can really do. All the feels. This gets some radio play up here in the north, but it still deserves more.

2. Boy Problems
This song title is so true, everyone has boy problems in some way unless you're lesbian/asexual in which case you don't need to worry about that. I love how she goes from annoying her friend with her issues to breaking up with him and not being that sad because there are worse things in the world to worry about. It's a cavalier look at life and although it's also a little teeny, it can apply to any age. It's the story of many lives.

1. Run Away With Me
Holy fuck that opening note. That saxophone. That breakdown. That explosion at the beginning of the chorus with that Baby. That ricochet and echoing of the title over and over, so loud and clear yet slightly in the distance and luring you in. It's demanding and commanding, yet seductive and alluring at the same time. Not too over-the-top, but just perfect and with a explosion of a chorus with tinkly glittery verses. The whole song is just perfection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Icarus_Mark

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson   Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:43 pm

OMG LOVE RUN AWAY WITH ME! <3 That saxophone is priceless!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky33

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson   Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 am

15. Boy Problems
The lyrics are pretty accurate to real life situations. I really don't have much of an issue with the verses but the chorus is kinda meh to me. Carly is kind of amazing at toeing the line between too childish and just enough to be cutesy and fun. This one almost treads into the childish side and gets a little too silly at times. It's still a pretty cute song though, but it's the only song I'll sometimes skip if it comes up on shuffle.

14. LA Hallucinations
I can't really relate to the song but I def live vicariously through her. I like the song and the chorus is very catchy and I love the phrase "Buzzfeed buzzards and TMZ crows" but it's kinda forgettable and a little silly at times. It's okay.

13. Black Heart
I don't really get the lyrics and the chorus is meh. I do love the hook and the verses though. It's good but def best served as a bonus track.

12. Let's Get Lost
I actually love the lyrics of this song and it's message is so cute. They want the date to last longer so they take the long way home <3 The chorus is a jam but idk the verses are just okay and I don't really love the oohoohooh's at the end of the chorus. It's okay but nothing I wanna listen to on repeat.

11. Favourite Colour
This song sounds so cool. The verses are so swimmingly easy to listen to and the chorus is just as easy going like a light breeze <3 I love the lyrics too. "I'm bright baby blue falling into you" <3 I love when songs involve colors Smile

10. When I Needed You
I love how the message of this song is dreary but she still sounds so upbeat. It's a great message though. Fuck changing to please someone when they aren't there for you when you need them most. The chorus is a banger and the verses are so fucking good with the way it flows with the beat. Originally this song was a ballad and slow but I'm so glad they remixed it and made it this fun pop sensation.

9. Warm Blood
My relationship with this song is so tumultuous. The lyrics are so fucking good and I think the verses are awesome. The voice modifications are a little meh especially because it sounds so out of touch with the rest of the song. But I do like everything else about the song. Idk lol

8. Make the Most of the Night
Ugh the hook is so good and I love the way she sings "I know you've had a rough time" and it's kind of a sweet message. She's trying to cheer him up but also has her own ulterior motives because she loves being with him anyways.

7. Gimmie Love
Ugh those verses are so slow and sweet. Actually the whole song has that relaxed kind of vibe. The chorus is fucking brilliant. "Do you think that I want too much?" It's so earnest and ugh just genius. It gets a tiny but repetitive but she is singing the "Gimmie love" phrase so fast it doesn't seem like too much.

6. All That
Ugh this song is so fucking smooth. That's the best way I can describe it. I just wanna grind seductively against a hot guy when I listen to it. The words flow so well with the beat too, it's pure sex. The lyrics are so sweet and it's just a really cute yet hot song.

5. I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance
The cold opening is awesome. The hook is electric. The chorus is a buildup to greatness. I just wanna dance to this song <3 I would slay this lip syncing for my life. The verses flow so well too <3 Also lol @ her name dropping random generic guy names that are "calling her over" <3

4. Emotion
The hook is a perfect build up to that amazing chorus. The chorus is honestly such a jam I belt it no matter where I am so I have to be careful where I listen to Carly <3

3. I Really Like You
The verses are really strong in this song. The beat of this song is so amazing too and the lead up to the chorus is great. Repetition will usually piss me off but something about the way Carly sings it keeps me enamored. I actually think this is an alright lead single but it doesn't really match the rest of the album.

2. Your Type
Ugh I feel you Carly. Unrequited love is so hard. "I want you to miss me when I'm not around you" hits me fucking hard. Friendzoned Sad "Break my heart and start again" YES because you can't help but keep falling into the same trap over and over. I love the verses, the hook, the chorus, the beat, EVERYTHING. Such a gem <3

1. Run Away With Me
God that saxophone beginning is amazing. Iconic really. I fucking love the verses. I'll run away with youuuuu <3 the hook is so amazing too and that beginning "baby" in the chorus is electric. There's just so many times in this song she sings a word and hits a sweet note. Idk how else to describe those except it's just sweet and I love those so much and there's like 3 or 4 in the hook alone. This is iconic pop perfection and I won't hear any other opinions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dana ShelbyChancey

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson   Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I like this album too! I have a few favorites but there are no bad songs and it is so easy to listen to and enjoy. Hard to know why it didn't get more publicity and airplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson   

Back to top Go down

Merriska Ranks The Underrated EMOTION by Carly Rae Jepson
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1